Explain Anime

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2010.
sleepyhead
Experienced Poster

Explain Anime

Post by sleepyhead »

Reading the pedestrian reactions i wonder is there a nice quick way to explain anime.

How do you tell them shortly that anime is not a cartoon because Cartoon detonates that it is for teens and under as in the american culture. Where as in Japan it is normal for a grown man to watch anime since as we all know some anime are just not for kids. That anime is alot cheaper to produce than live action so there can me so many more stories we can live though. and although it my just be drawing we can still connect to the character just like we can connect to the charters in Lost or in 90210 or day time soap operas. We laugh we cry we fall in love so what if their drawn its the idea that we conncet with just like live action is just a character.

And i say short because when people walk pass you durning a convention and asks whats going on and what is it they dont want to hear an essay evethough that what it might take to have them appriciate it.

Wooo look at me rant, its just maybe one day to say "i want to work in the anime field" (a mulit million dollar field btw) family and friend wont have THAT look before saying "oh its nice you want to work in something your interested in, but dont you want to..."

SOOO how do you explain it to people?
Liberator
Getting the hang of this...

Explain Anime

Post by Liberator »

I've always been under the impression Anime was merely the Japanese version of cartoons. Just because something is cartoony doesn't mean it can't have a deep meaningful story behind it.

When explaining Anime you should probably bring up Manga seeing as many Animes are drawn and animated directly from a Manga.
Anime Boston Cosplays
'04-'07 (???) Kankuro (for a few years anyways can't remember exactly).
'08 I honestly don't remember.
'09 ^ Same here.
'10 Soviet (Walked around with a big flag).
'11 Beggar (Legend of Zelda).
'12 VIETNAM BABY!
'13 Planning: Last Exile Cosplay
hg revolution
Veteran Poster

Explain Anime

Post by hg revolution »

Anime=cartoons

Nothing wrong with that. Adults do watch Family Guy and South Park and everyone loves Pixar's movies, so just explain that anime is Japanese cartoons and that some of them are more mature than most American cartoons.
JReckers
AB Staff

Explain Anime

Post by JReckers »

Q: What are you all here for?
A: We're all nerds that like watching cartoons and video games.

That usually appeases the curiosity of non-convention people.
Jeff Reckers
Special Projects 2019
KingPads
Expert Poster

Explain Anime

Post by KingPads »

I've noticed that a lot of the people that ask me, are not at all interested in the real answer, so I usually just tell them its a nerd convention, that usually gets a short chuckle followed by them leaving the area quickly.
Korbexo
Veteran Poster

Explain Anime

Post by Korbexo »

Japanese animation.
Sounds more mature and cool than cartoons doesn't it? I just say "It's an anime convention, you know, like Japanese animation and cartoons." And if they're still looking at me with a question mark on their face I say, "Think Star Wars/Star Trek convention. We're all nerds hanging around, dressing up, and having fun." They usually get it after that. It doesn't really matter what they think of it, as long as you're having a good time, right? ;)
AB 08-Itachi
AB 09-Temari(Chunin Exams)
AB 10-Zexion with Twister Board

AB 11-LOL meme/troll/rage face & Zexion.
AB 12-Sweet Pea from Sucker Punch. Current WIP.
& Haloween Town Zexion. Current WIP.
Syagria
Obsessed Poster

Explain Anime

Post by Syagria »

Most people are asking out of idle curiosity, so I don't see the need to give them a dissertation on the intricacies of the distinctions that fans tend to focus on. I had a few questions, and my answer was, "It's a convention celebrating animation, comics, graphic novels, and video games." If people want to know more, they'll ask - that has happened to me.
Anime Boston Cosplays:
14: Death
13: Wonder Woman, Kitsune
12: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Wonder Woman
11: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Princess Eries Aston
10: Princess Eries Aston, Zatanna
09: Hermes (1st Place Intermediate), Lotis Master Alice Seno
08: Haruhara Haruko, Sumomo, Lotis Master Alice Seno
07: Haruhara Haruko, R. Dorothy Wayneright
Shralla
Expert Poster

Explain Anime

Post by Shralla »

[quote=sleepyhead]How do you tell them shortly that anime is not a cartoon because Cartoon detonates that it is for teens and under as in the american culture.[/quote]

That's not what cartoon means at all. A cartoon is just an animated production.
shinigami88
I'm new!

Explain Anime

Post by shinigami88 »

I agree that giving an honest answer is best. They might actually be interested and wanna be involved, its not just nerds who can enjoy anime.
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Explain Anime

Post by Phantom 1 »

You'd think Bostonians would be used to it by now to the point where they wouldn't need to ask. I've seen bars offering special "Anime Boston" drink specials.
FruityCupid
I'm new!

Explain Anime

Post by FruityCupid »

Why are you talking to random strangers, when you should be inside the con, enjoying it with the rest of us cool kids? xD

Iunno...I mean, yeah, some stories in anime are a little more intricate than most of the animated shows you find in america, but when you get down to it, it's still just a cartoon.
danim
AB Alumni

Explain Anime

Post by danim »

[quote=Phantom 1]You'd think Bostonians would be used to it by now to the point where they wouldn't need to ask. I've seen bars offering special "Anime Boston" drink specials.[/quote]

Ok, this is wonderful. :thumbup: I may need to trek around and find one of these.

And agreed, Bostonians who have lived in the Back Bay area for a couple of years or so should be perfectly used to it. Also, working in Boston and coming up on weekends sometimes, I can say that I have seen much STRANGER things than the people of our anime convention. I'm actually surprised Bostonians even give us a second glance-who knows? Maybe they don't. People who are knew to the area or the plethora of tourists are the ones who are probably asking.

As far as a description goes, I like to say Japanese Animation. If they give me a "?" I tend to elaborate on cartoons made in Japan, manga etc. Usually satisfies people. I have undergone an interrogation 2 or 3 times, but it's not a really big deal.
Mara
AB Alumni

Explain Anime

Post by Mara »

[quote=FruityCupid]Why are you talking to random strangers, when you should be inside the con, enjoying it with the rest of us cool kids? xD

Iunno...I mean, yeah, some stories in anime are a little more intricate than most of the animated shows you find in america, but when you get down to it, it's still just a cartoon. [/quote]

Your user icon is maybe going to give me a seizure (with all due respect, it might be a bit much for some of our forum users - I have weird ear/motion problems and it made me a bit queasy), but I agree that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar when it comes to animation. Some are more artfully executed than others, some are just there to sell toys, some have better stories than art, etc.
Mara K.
Staff Alumna, 2003–2018