Formal Ball?

This forum covers Anime Boston events that don't fit in the above forums, such as the charity auction, game shows, dances, and karaoke.
Hopallee
AB Staff

Formal Ball?

Post by Hopallee »

Yeah we have a bit of an incomplete page update, for more information see this thread
Hope McChesney
Assistant Director of Programming/ Formal Ball Co-Chair
KitsuneMIKO
Experienced Poster

Formal Ball?

Post by KitsuneMIKO »

lol thank you that helps, On to the next question, how long will these tikets be avalible because I wont be able to get my tikets to the convention till next tuesday.
troublemaiker
I'm Special!

Formal Ball?

Post by troublemaiker »

i have a question about reserving tickets. my friend wants to go, but he has'nt pre-registered and is just going to wait till the con. he is planning on going to the ball, but he is afraid he wont get a ticket. my mom is pre-registered and i was wondering if she could reserve a ticket and then transfer it to him. is this a big no?
Hopallee
AB Staff

Formal Ball?

Post by Hopallee »

Pre-con tickets will be available till the end of the month or till they sell out, which ever comes first. Additional tickets will be available Friday afternoon of the con.
Hope McChesney
Hopallee
AB Staff

Formal Ball?

Post by Hopallee »

No sorry, each registered person can only request a ticket for themselves. There will be not post registration transfers.
Hope McChesney
troublemaiker
I'm Special!

Formal Ball?

Post by troublemaiker »

ok, thanks. i'll just tell him to move his butt over to where ever it is that he needs to be to pick up a ticket before they sell out.
about how many will be available that day? 50? 100? less?
Hopallee
AB Staff

Formal Ball?

Post by Hopallee »

There will be 600 available total and they will be equally divided between those available online and at the con. Of course any tickets that people fail to pick up will also be available about an hour before the ball, so we're looking at 300+ available Friday afternoon.
Hope McChesney
troublemaiker
I'm Special!

Formal Ball?

Post by troublemaiker »

ok, that makes me feel better then. thanks!
LadyHawke
AB Alumni

Formal Ball?

Post by LadyHawke »

Since this is rapidly veering off of the path of being related fo Cosplay, it should probably be split...

For some reason, I cannot split threads, or else I'd cut the ticket stuff out of here and put it under the new thread in "general questions" and keep the Dress Code Stuff in here.

~~ Jeni
2012 Guest Relations Division - Green Room Staff

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get Permission" -- RADM Grace Murray Hopper - U.S. Navy
jnik
Show-off

Formal Ball?

Post by jnik »

[quote=ladyhawke78]Since this is rapidly veering off of the path of being related fo Cosplay, it should probably be split...[/quote]
Yes, indeed. Non cosplay-related questions about the ball should go in this thread; the dress code thread is here.
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Formal Ball?

Post by basharoftheages »

So... wait... are you just going to see how long people will wait in line to get into this event? Because it's kinda something that people have to prepare ahead of time for - nothing spontaneous. Leaving it open-ended for that many people just sounds like the plan is to welcome drama over people that will spend all the time making something and realize they can't get in because they didn't wait in line for 5 hours.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
LadyFae
AB Alumni

Formal Ball?

Post by LadyFae »

[quote=BasharOfTheAges]So... wait... are you just going to see how long people will wait in line to get into this event? Because it's kinda something that people have to prepare ahead of time for - nothing spontaneous. Leaving it open-ended for that many people just sounds like the plan is to welcome drama over people that will spend all the time making something and realize they can't get in because they didn't wait in line for 5 hours.[/quote]

bashtar...what are you talking about? I can't figure out at all :)

We are opening up pre registration to half the tickets for the ball. the remaining will be available at least 2 hours before the ball. People who dont get a ticket know they can't get in. People who don't pre reg know they run the risk of not getting in.

What's open ended?
Rebecca Irvin Lee, lady of many hats

Anime Boston Executive Team (GR, Relations, PR, GR) 2002-2008,2013-2016
AB Formal Co-Chair 2006-2009
Ballroom Dance Instructor 2008-2012
21+ Lounge coordinator 2010-2014
NEAS Board Member 2002-2003, 2011-2016
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Formal Ball?

[quote=LadyFae]What's open ended?[/quote]
[quote]the remaining will be available at least 2 hours before the ball.[/quote]
That seems open ended to me. Of course they'll know they won't get in when it starts. That doesn't mean they'll know from when they sell out here online (in however long that takes - i'd guess a couple of days) until the Day Of when you have 500 people that spent time and money to make/buy/bring clothing for an event with 300 tickets remaining. The usual solution is, of course, to wait in line. So, i was asking if the intent was to see how long people were willing to wait in line.
LadyFae
AB Alumni

Formal Ball?

Post by LadyFae »

[quote=BasharOfTheAges][quote=LadyFae]What's open ended?[/quote]
[quote]the remaining will be available at least 2 hours before the ball.[/quote]
That seems open ended to me. Of course they'll know they won't get in when it starts. That doesn't mean they'll know from when they sell out here online (in however long that takes - i'd guess a couple of days) until the Day Of when you have 500 people that spent time and money to make/buy/bring clothing for an event with 300 tickets remaining. The usual solution is, of course, to wait in line. So, i was asking if the intent was to see how long people were willing to wait in line.[/quote]

If that was our intent, we wouldnt be going through the extra time and effort to do tickets at all...we would just let people wait for hours in line like they had to last year, in their finery, and maybe or maybe not get in.

Instead, we are offering tickets in advance for those who frequent the website and who have likely taken the initiative to plan in advance. And we are offering tickets on site for those who didn't happen to be online or had not decided to attend in the few days the tickets were available online. Everyone will get the chance to get tickets at least 2 hours in advance of the ball (i.e. before getting ready)

I'm frankly not sure how we could possibly be more fair.

basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Formal Ball?

It's all in how you look at it I suppose. Frankly it seems more fair to have it all or nothing either way. If it's all up front you have just as many people disappointed that they can't get in, but hardly anybody wasting time/money on the attire they won't make use of. If it's all at the door, everyone has an equal chance of wasting their time and money and being disappointed about not getting in - this isn't "kind" or, some may argue, "nice", but it's fair - in that everyone is treated equally.
Hopallee
AB Staff

Formal Ball?

Post by Hopallee »

This is a limited capacity event because there are many more people who want to come than we can possibly fit in the room. The only way to really avoid lines is to give out all the tickets ahead of time, and that’s not fair to people who don’t pre-register for the con (which is that vast majority of attendees) or to people who don’t happen to check the website religiously.

Having tickets only available at the con isn’t fair to those who work or travel a distance to the con and can’t get there as early as possible. Thus we split the difference with the advantages and disadvantages of each process and offer both. Yes there will be people who can’t get in, that is true no matter what we do, and yes people will wait in line, but at least 300 people won’t have to which is marked improvement from last year and attendees will know by around 5pm that they won’t be able to go to the ball after all, which is when most major programming starts on Friday anyways so they can wander off and enjoy the rest of the con.

Trust me we’ve thought and worried about this a lot, we’re really trying our best to make it as painless as possible. I wish the Hynes had bigger rooms!
Hope McChesney
Hopallee
AB Staff

Formal Ball?

Post by Hopallee »

Oops make that majority not "vast majority" turns out its about 60 at-con, 40 pre-reg, which makes our 50/50 ticket split all the more reasonable.
Hope McChesney
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Formal Ball?

[quote=Hopallee]This is a limited capacity event because there are many more people who want to come than we can possibly fit in the room. The only way to really avoid lines is to give out all the tickets ahead of time, and that’s not fair to people who don’t pre-register for the con (which is that vast majority of attendees) or to people who don’t happen to check the website religiously.[/quote]

Oh, I completely agree that the spirit of what you're doing is more kind and cordial - I just think the people that will be getting them at the con will overwhelmingly be people that do visit the website religiously and therefore know there is going to be a line they're going to be willing to wait all day in if need be. The group you want to be fair to will still, by in large, not really have much more of a chance if that happened. :laugh: That was the jist of my point.
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Formal Ball?

Post by marikotoeii »

me thinks that instead of offering solutions to problems, bashar likes to point out th inadequecies in everyone else's plans...

but to his point..

when i got my ticket yesterday there was still 200+ tickets left to be reserves, so demand on this has been much slower than other things. im sure there are even now still tickets available. and in the directions, there are another 300 tickets to be dolled out at 430.. if someone wants to go to the ball that badly, they can preregister by the 18th of feb (if they havent already) and just get a stinkin ticket. i dont think there will be any reason to waster your friday at the con waiting in line.
jnik
Show-off

Formal Ball?

Post by jnik »

[quote=marikotoeii]when i got my ticket yesterday there was still 200+ tickets left to be reserves,[/quote]
Right now there are 84 remaining, just in case anybody's wondering. Artists' Alley it ain't, but those sitting on the fence might want to decide soon :)
Jahursai
Getting the hang of this...

Formal Ball?

Post by Jahursai »

Question:
If you cant get to the ball say till 7, would you still be able to get in?
Im ceriouse because we are leaving for Boston at 3:30pm, and we probably wont get there till 5:30pm. We need to get checked into the hotel, get changed and then get our badges. We pre-reguisted and I don't know how long the lines will be at that time.
We already pre-reguistered out ball tickets but I was wondering if I could pick up my ball ticket even if it was after 6:30 then go?
Hopallee
AB Staff

Formal Ball?

Post by Hopallee »

Pre-reg tickets need to be picked up by 5:30. It may seem a little harsh but since tickets are free there will doubtless be people who request a ticket and change their mind, thus to avoid open slots, unclaimed tickets are given away starting at 5:30 pm.
Hope McChesney
Ollie
Experienced Poster

Formal Ball?

Post by Ollie »

Just wanted to point out that at "real" ballroom dancing events, you generally don't dance with your SO or date or anything. You're supposed to be available to everybody for dancing. Don't be shy! You never have to accept an invitation to dance, but unless there's some reason not to, you should. That is what you're there for, right?

Actually, I did want to make a suggestion. Sorry if there's a feedback thread that I missed for this. In 2007, there were a lot of people in line who were clearly fine for entry. People in tuxes and dresses wouldn't need more than a momentary glance to see they're dressed appropriately. It's a bit odd to make them wait while somebody in a cosplay outfit has to be checked over. Also, frankly, very odd when there seemed to be a number of people getting in who really weren't dressed appropriately. Any chance you could just make two lines? One for formal attire, one for cosplay?

Also, I think it would be a good idea to offer the at-con tickets not just at the end of the class, but to give preference to those who attended the dance class. They're probably more likely to know how to dance, which should benefit everybody. At the very least, it prevents the problem of those in the class getting out only to find a huge line for tickets having already formed while they were getting ready for the event itself.
alucard2024
Veteran Poster

Formal Ball?

Post by alucard2024 »

Ok umm, I has question about a dress for my girlfriend. Would a chinese dress like this
be appropriate? sorry if this was already answered thanks.
Hopallee
AB Staff

Formal Ball?

Post by Hopallee »

Yep, as long as she wears proper shoes.
Hope McChesney
alucard2024
Veteran Poster

Formal Ball?

Post by alucard2024 »

K thanks :)
LadyFae
AB Alumni

Formal Ball?

Post by LadyFae »

[quote=Ollie]Just wanted to point out that at "real" ballroom dancing events, you generally don't dance with your SO or date or anything. You're supposed to be available to everybody for dancing. Don't be shy! You never have to accept an invitation to dance, but unless there's some reason not to, you should. That is what you're there for, right?

Actually, I did want to make a suggestion. Sorry if there's a feedback thread that I missed for this. In 2007, there were a lot of people in line who were clearly fine for entry. People in tuxes and dresses wouldn't need more than a momentary glance to see they're dressed appropriately. It's a bit odd to make them wait while somebody in a cosplay outfit has to be checked over. Also, frankly, very odd when there seemed to be a number of people getting in who really weren't dressed appropriately. Any chance you could just make two lines? One for formal attire, one for cosplay?

Also, I think it would be a good idea to offer the at-con tickets not just at the end of the class, but to give preference to those who attended the dance class. They're probably more likely to know how to dance, which should benefit everybody. At the very least, it prevents the problem of those in the class getting out only to find a huge line for tickets having already formed while they were getting ready for the event itself.[/quote]

2 lines are not really practical unfortunately. everyone needs to be checked. You would be suprised how many non cosplaying gentlemen I had to turn away who couldnt figure out what a suit was (I actually had someone complain that we hadn't explained what suit meant).

As for in apropriately dressed people getting in...that was covered in the feedback thread at the time :) There was a miscommunication at the door that led to a period of 20 minutes where anyone was let in because they couldnt find the person doing the checking. Unfortunately, the room was just too crowded, and it wasnt practical to try and start pulling people out.

As for your last point, it was something we were sitting on the fence about actually. We've come to the decision to begin making at con tickets available at 2:00pm. This will help people avoid going through the class then not getting a ticket, as well as give people more time to get ready. We were trying to make them available as late as possible for people coming from school/work, but with the ball so early in the evening this year, I think that it's just not feasable.

Hopallee
AB Staff

Formal Ball?

Post by Hopallee »

I actually have to agree with Rebbecca, the vast majority of people turned away at the door were non-cosplayers (generally men without jackets and some girls in sandals). So even if we had two lines the cosplay one might move faster, as its not the checking that takes time its the telling.
Hope McChesney
Sayoria
AB Staff

Formal Ball?

Post by Sayoria »

Just curious here....will this ball provide any refreshments and foods or is that up to us as well?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
Hopallee
AB Staff

Formal Ball?

Post by Hopallee »

Due to a change in venue, even a cash bar was too expensive for us to run. Thus unfortunately there will not be any refreshments this year. Hopefully once we move back to our previous venue we can entertain the option.
Hope McChesney
Kagomechan
AB Staff

Formal Ball?

Post by Kagomechan »

All of the rooms do have water coolers but anything else is up to you.
Mary Kaplan
Staff Resource Manager for Anime Boston 2013-2024
Director of Operations for Anime Boston 2006-2012
Secretary 2004-2005
Information Desk Manager 2003-2005
CloudyStryfe

Formal Ball?

Post by CloudyStryfe »

[quote=jnik] Right now there are 84 remaining, just in case anybody's wondering...[/quote]

And now they're all taken!

Somebody *cough* wasn't paying attention and totally missed this... Anyone have any thoughts on how early I should line up to wait for the "on site" tickets?

Thanks!

JT
daisuke88
Determined Poster

Formal Ball?

Post by daisuke88 »

i have a costume question. i don't have any dresses i could wear, but could i wear like a nice skirt and a nice top? it won't be expensive dress-up, but i think i'll look appropriate...i was just wondering if it's okay if we don't actually wear dresses...
Vu
AB Staff

Formal Ball?

Post by Vu »

When in doubt, always refer to the Anime Boston Formal Ball Dress Code.

As for your question, does the following answer it?

[quote=Anime Boston Formal Ball Dress Code]Formal Western Attire

Female
Those dressing in female formal wear (regardless of their own gender) should wear at least semi-formal level dresses and appropriate dress shoes such as heels or dress flats. Skirts should be at least knee length and individuals should avoid non-formal fabrics such as cotton, denim, leather and vinyl.[/quote]
Vu Tran
North American Guest Liaison
Anime Boston 2022

Viva la manatee!

"Gonna have to go find my eyeballs, I rolled them too hard"
- Rebecca Lee, 2019
Hopallee
AB Staff

Formal Ball?

Post by Hopallee »

[quote=daisuke88]i have a costume question. i don't have any dresses i could wear, but could i wear like a nice skirt and a nice top? it won't be expensive dress-up, but i think i'll look appropriate...i was just wondering if it's okay if we don't actually wear dresses...[/quote]

A skirt and top combination would generally be less formal than a cocktail dress (the dress code minimum), there are formal dressy separates out there but they're but not commonly worn by people under 40. Could you send me a picture? formal@animeboston.com
Hope McChesney
daisuke88
Determined Poster

Formal Ball?

Post by daisuke88 »

alright. i'll try to get one. thanks for the time!
Kitty Silver
Veteran Poster

Formal Ball?

Post by Kitty Silver »

[quote=Vu]When in doubt, always refer to the Anime Boston Formal Ball Dress Code.

As for your question, does the following answer it?

[quote=Anime Boston Formal Ball Dress Code]Formal Western Attire

Female
Those dressing in female formal wear (regardless of their own gender) should wear at least semi-formal level dresses and appropriate dress shoes such as heels or dress flats. Skirts should be at least knee length and individuals should avoid non-formal fabrics such as cotton, denim, leather and vinyl.[/quote][/quote]

Does this mean that girls aren't allowed to wear dress pants? There are quite a few girls I know that are against skirts and dresses but would go in dress paints and a nice blouse.
Hopallee
AB Staff

Formal Ball?

Post by Hopallee »

Guys can't get in with just a nice pair of pants and a shirt so it isn't fair to allow girls to get in with that alone. If a girl want to wear pants she'll need a formal vest or blazer of some kind. They wouldn't have to wear a tie though. There are some very cute women's blazers out there so if you'd like to go that route feel free.
Hope McChesney
Hopallee
AB Staff

Formal Ball?

Post by Hopallee »

Notice: We're borrowing from the autograph line policy. Those who would like autographs are only allowed to wait in line 30 mins before tickets are released. So the earliest you will be allowed to line up for ball tickets is 1:30pm. Sorry we just can't have a 300 person clogging up the third floor for several hours, and we want you to enjoy the rest of the convention!
Hope McChesney
daisuke88
Determined Poster

Formal Ball?

Post by daisuke88 »

lol, that makes sense. =P thanks for the info!
seiko2071
Veteran Poster

Formal Ball?

Post by seiko2071 »

I know this is an odd question, but is there any way to recind my reservation on a Formal Ball ticket? Something may have come up preventing me from going, and even if I'm missing out, I want the ball to be enjoyed by as many people as possible!
Hopallee
AB Staff

Formal Ball?

Post by Hopallee »

Nope, but we'll give away your ticket as part of the unclaimed batch about an hour before the ball. We anticipated this would happen so don't fret over it :-)
Hope McChesney
seiko2071
Veteran Poster

Formal Ball?

Post by seiko2071 »

Oh, that's lovely ^_^ Thanks!
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Formal Ball?

Post by marikotoeii »

ok so i have a shirt nice oants and a tie with nice shoes.. i cant seem to find my suit jacket.. will i get in? or will i have it gio find another one.

see i thought guys were allowed in last year wiht a dress shirt tie and dress pants...
Hopallee
AB Staff

Formal Ball?

Post by Hopallee »

I turned away dozens of guys last year with just a shirt, tie and pants, you really do need a jacket, its all in the dress code.
Hope McChesney
jakeissanji2185
Expert Poster

Formal Ball?

Post by jakeissanji2185 »

i understand the concept of a no cash bar, but will water be available at the least. On top of that, will there be available seating this year, or standing room only during the ball?
AB 2012 Lineup

Skypiea Sanji (One Piece)
Kanji Tatsumi (Persona 4)
Sawtooth humanized (Homestuck)
Hopallee
AB Staff

Formal Ball?

Post by Hopallee »

There will be water available and we'll have 15 six foot rounds with chairs plus chairs lining the walls. When you add it all up there are enough chairs for about half of the attendees to be sitting down at any given point. Since there is no way we can fit a full 600 chairs in the room I would ask that people avoid "claiming" seats to that people can freely alternate between testing their moves out on the floor and resting their feet.
Hope McChesney
jakeissanji2185
Expert Poster

Formal Ball?

Post by jakeissanji2185 »

understandable. If i remember correctly from last year, people either stood, or sat on other people's laps due to the lack of seating
AB 2012 Lineup

Skypiea Sanji (One Piece)
Kanji Tatsumi (Persona 4)
Sawtooth humanized (Homestuck)
Hopallee
AB Staff

Formal Ball?

Post by Hopallee »

I think that was more of a symptom of a horrible lack of space in general. We had seating for several hundred people... but a 1,000 people showed up. So hopefully with a little extra seating this year and limited admittance, you won't have to stand.
Hope McChesney
xxDreamerxx

Formal Ball?

Post by xxDreamerxx »

[color:purple]I have an attire question, I didn't really see anything posted about it in the offical dress code page- Maybe I overlooked it or something. Would an outfit as described below be suitable? (Sorry, I don't have a picture, But I'm really good w/ description. I am a role-player after all.)

A long sleeved lavendar top with an ankle length black skirt with purple lilacs going up one side. Black flats for footwear. Hair in an up-do with minimal jewelery.

Would something like that be acceptable?[/color]