a question about playin music...

This forum covers Anime Boston events that don't fit in the above forums, such as the charity auction, game shows, dances, and karaoke.
Narutard94
Experienced Poster

Post by Narutard94 »

Hi there :)

(i'm not sure if this is in the correct section, but...)

at past conventions, i know some people play instruments in the halls ('07 i remember someone was playing a flute...)
i was wondering if it'd be alright to play my guitar w/ an amp, so long as its not too loud (its a VERY tiny amp anyway, barely a foot tall, and not very powerful...)

So basically, i'd just like to know if this would be alright (and if so, please request some songs so i can practice em ;D)

thank you!
~Shin
Vu
AB Staff

Post by Vu »

Note: This is not an official decision. Just merely my thoughts on the question.

From a Security standpoint, I feel like it might be hazardous, with the wires and all. A flute is understandable, as it is lightweight and simple. But with a guitar and amplifier...? It's probably best if you didn't. And if you have to move, you'll going to lug the thing around, which probably will not be much fun for you.
Vu Tran
North American Guest Liaison
Anime Boston 2022

Viva la manatee!

"Gonna have to go find my eyeballs, I rolled them too hard"
- Rebecca Lee, 2019
popeluke
Getting the hang of this...

Post by popeluke »

If they're describing what I think they are, what they have is something like a practice amp. It's just small enough to fit in a backpack, might weigh 15-20 lbs, and the power chord (at least on mine) is 6ft at best.

If pushed up against a wall it sticks out way less than a person would, maybe 6 inches deep.

I'd imagine the only issue would be the sound bothering people. But then, it's so small that it'd be easy to move somewhere else. *shrugs*
Narutard94
Experienced Poster

Post by Narutard94 »

thanks for responding.

this amp is tiny (only about 8-9 in. tall, about 4 in. deep). it can actually go on batteries, so it wont need a power cord.
But, yeah, it'd still be a pain to carry around all day, no matter what size it was.

I guess it'd be better with an acoustic guitar. That would be ok, It wouldnt be too loud or disruptive, so they'd probably 'ok' it, right?

well, If anyone has requests for a certain song or artist that they'd like me to play at the con, please let me know ^___^

~Shin

basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

[quote=Narutard94]That would be ok, It wouldnt be too loud or disruptive, so they'd probably 'ok' it, right?[/quote]
I wouldn't hold your breath on anyone okaying anything. A combination of plausible deniability and not wanting to deal with drama when one of the hundreds of staff/volunteers decides to tell you to stop and you say you were told it was okay already.

I'm not saying not to do it, but just don't expect to be explicitly told it's okay. (unless some staffer decides to so they can prove me wrong).
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Nigoki
AB Staff

Post by Nigoki »

We don't have an official policy that says one way or another about stuff like this, but my suggestion would be to keep it unplugged so there's less of a chance of the volume being too much of a distraction to the other attendees. If you must have an amp, keep the volume low, but also be aware that a staff member (security or otherwise) might ask you to turn it off.
Doug Wilder
Anime Boston Asst. Director of Programming and Guest Programming Coordinator
Working hard for AB since 2003!
destro
Veteran Poster

Post by destro »

[quote=Nigoki]We don't have an official policy that says one way or another about stuff like this, but my suggestion would be to keep it unplugged so there's less of a chance of the volume being too much of a distraction to the other attendees. If you must have an amp, keep the volume low, but also be aware that a staff member (security or otherwise) might ask you to turn it off.[/quote]
I have to only partially agree. Last year there was a very big issue with people running around the hallways with boom boxes playing music really loud. This could be annoying in the same way. In my opinion it is an ok idea as long as you do it without the amp, or with just an acoustic guitar.
MerchMaven
Show-off

Post by MerchMaven »

And at just four days shy of two years, we have a new record for necroposting!

((applaaaaaause!))

Good night, folks, remember to tip housekeeping!
Kerry Walker
Anime Boston Merch Manager, 2006-2019
Anime Boston Security, 2004-2006