What to do about Karaoke Shuffle?

This forum covers Anime Boston events that don't fit in the above forums, such as the charity auction, game shows, dances, and karaoke.
otakuforlife
AB Staff

What to do about Karaoke Shuffle?

Post by otakuforlife »

Here are a series of questions I would like your feedback on..

Should we remove karaoke shuffle to give everyone more time to sing?

If we do continue it should it be renamed Iron Karaoke?

What improvements could we make to this contest?
Brian Auxier

2024 Karaoke Co-Coordinator
2024 General Helper
2024 AMV Dinner Host
Retired AMV Creator
Yuusuke
Getting the hang of this...

Re: What to do about Karaoke Shuffle?

Post by Yuusuke »

REAL PUBLIC FEEDBACK OMG WHAT IS THIS

>Should we remove karaoke shuffle to give everyone more time to sing?

If you can't manage headphone strats, then yes, probably. With headphone strats then I think it's probably fine.

(Headphone strats: each contestant listens to their song during the performance of the person who goes before them and the audience is treated to the first 30 seconds of each song to get an idea of how the song is supposed to sound. This actually lets the contestant hear more of the song than they currently do, but isn't that good from an audience perspective?)

>If we do continue it should it be renamed Iron Karaoke?

YES

>What improvements could we make to this contest?

Oh man. In addition to implementing headphone strats:

1) Have prereg like the regular karaoke contest does. 5 before the con, 5 during. This ensures at least half the field knows what's happening, which is the biggest problem now as far as people who actually sign up. They might even try to do well if they know what to expect!

2) Have pre-selected judges that have seen the contest before. This would be the biggest improvement IMO. The contest is too subjective right now. Any variant that uses judges will be subjective, but having judges that know what's up from the very start will go a long way. With that said...

3) Roll a die to determine performance order. I would personally hate this, but it's probably necessary for the contest to even approach fairness. The vets all know to perform later. Keeping people on their toes is the whole point of this though? Or so I infer.

4) Have the judges sit with the audience. It's a huge pain to perform in theater-in-the-round on top of everything else. This would relieve some of the pressure of performing and reduce the impact of pandering. Have them sit on the mirror side of the audience from the contestants who sit on one side of the aisle anyway.

5) Last and probably unworkable suggestion: Have an exhibition performance. Something that doesn't really count for anything but gets the judges and audience used to what will happen. Ideally this would involve a staff member--something/someone barely competent. This will take time but will hugely improve the experience for the contestants.
otakuforlife
AB Staff

Post by otakuforlife »

These are really good suggestions for the shuffle...
However, we are removing this contest to give people more time to sing.
We know that there are a ton of great people who don't get to preform because of this contest.
Therefore small gifts will be handed out throughout the weekend to people.
Brian Auxier

2024 Karaoke Co-Coordinator
2024 General Helper
2024 AMV Dinner Host
Retired AMV Creator
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

otakuforlife wrote:These are really good suggestions for the shuffle...
However, we are removing this contest to give people more time to sing.
We know that there are a ton of great people who don't get to preform because of this contest.
Therefore small gifts will be handed out throughout the weekend to people.
that's a good idea we got caught off guard last year by the time cut off and it was really rude of them not to give you a half hour heads up i don't think i got my last song in ._.;
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective