Is the Formal Dance a "couples" thing?

This forum covers Anime Boston events that don't fit in the above forums, such as the charity auction, game shows, dances, and karaoke.
LaLa-Lita
Getting the hang of this...

Is the Formal Dance a "couples" thing?

Post by LaLa-Lita »

I've never been to the formal before and I would really like to go this year, but I'm worried that I'm going to get there and everyone is just going to be dancing with their S/O's... Like I'm going to the con alone and I would like to dance rather then stand in the corner and look awkward. So, people who have been there before, is this a coupley thing? Would it be weird to ask someone you didn't come with to dance?
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Re: Is the Formal Dance a "couples" thing?

Post by Miyu chan »

It is absolutely not a "couple's thing". Ballroom dancing is meant to be a social event, so that people ask several different people to dance over the course of the evening. If you are uncomfortable asking a stranger to dance, the staff and select others are "dance hosts". We will be introduced at the beginning of the dance, and will be wearing corsages to identify us. Dance hosts are comfortable with the basic dance steps (and usually more), and will never turn down a first request for a dance.
Amy Caluori
Formal Dance Coordinator 2010-2018
Press Liaison 2014-2015
Formal Dance Staff 2007-2009
Prince K-kyo
Experienced Poster

Re: Is the Formal Dance a "couples" thing?

Post by Prince K-kyo »

Yeah, differently NOT a couples thing, sure there are couples there but a large amount don't have dates.
I remember last year, me and my table decided to make sure EVERY SINGLE PERSON DANCED AT LEAST ONCE <3
It was so much fun! <3
ANIME BOSTON 2017 LINEUP
Thurs: ???
Fri: Chip Skylark
Sat: Umaru-Chan
Sun: Vincent Brooks
Nights/Casual: Siberian Bear Zarya