Blood Drive

This forum covers Anime Boston events that don't fit in the above forums, such as the charity auction, game shows, dances, and karaoke.
Kalaiten
Getting the hang of this...

Blood Drive

Post by Kalaiten »

Give blood, ya eligible jerks. I absolutely hate the feeling. I kick my legs and squirm the whole time I give blood, but I do it, because I know someone out there is going to really need it. So, just do it. Simple and to the point, but honestly, do it. I'll go with you too, if it makes you feel any better, honest. Just, do it.

From "Dr. Oz"
Sayoria
AB Staff

Re: Blood Drive

Post by Sayoria »

I'm seven months in on hormone replacement therapy. I am not sure they would take my blood. Of course, I don't know what qualifies as eligible outside of tattoos meaning no. Either way, I kinda want to, if not for the thought or the food, but to actually find out my blood type.

Anywho, out of curiosity..

- How long does this take? I never gave blood before, nor at AB.
- How soon would they see you normally? Within 10 minutes usually? A half an hour? An hour?
- What kind of food do they give you?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
striker923
AB Staff

Post by striker923 »

Yukito Kunisaki wrote:I'm seven months in on hormone replacement therapy. I am not sure they would take my blood. Of course, I don't know what qualifies as eligible outside of tattoos meaning no. Either way, I kinda want to, if not for the thought or the food, but to actually find out my blood type.

Anywho, out of curiosity..

- How long does this take? I never gave blood before, nor at AB.
- How soon would they see you normally? Within 10 minutes usually? A half an hour? An hour?
- What kind of food do they give you?
Hereis the AB blood drive page that has links to the Red Cross page about eligibility requirements, and you would sit down with a rep to discuss health history first before donating anyway. If you get a green light, you donate blood, if you get a red light, well you made an effort and that gets you a gold star in my book :)
Kim Miller Brown
2022 Outreach Manager
Kalaiten
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Kalaiten »

What Striker said, everything combined (waiting, reading, questions, and giving) takes about half an hour, and the snacks are loaded with carbs to get your sugars back up (pretzels, raisins, cookies, cranberry juice, water, etc).

If you do give blood, I forgot to mention that you should drink a lot of water beforehand to make the flow as easy as possible on yourself.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Wow, female eligibility is far more strict. It's rare to come across a male under 130, but I know many women under 150.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
striker923
AB Staff

Post by striker923 »

Yukito Kunisaki wrote:Wow, female eligibility is far more strict. It's rare to come across a male under 130, but I know many women under 150.
I think that weight requirement is for a different kind of donation (platelets, maybe?)

Normal run-of-the-mill blood donation is 110 lbs.
Kim Miller Brown
2022 Outreach Manager