Formal Dance 2011 attire

This forum covers Anime Boston events that don't fit in the above forums, such as the charity auction, game shows, dances, and karaoke.
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Formal Dance 2011 attire

Post by MomoMiraculous »

OK so I have a quick question. My friends and I are doing a Soul Eater group and we all have the appropriate formal wear but in the manga, Black*Star wears the formal attire but he doesn't wear it correctly ie it's sloppy looking. Now, can my friend cosplaying Black*Star wear it sloppy and be in character or does it have to be tucked in and such? http://s1028.photobucket.com/albums/y34 ... alWear.jpg
Example of what I mean.
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
Junebugbaby87
Expert Poster

Formal Dance 2011 attire

Post by Junebugbaby87 »

I can't seem to find it on the Dress Code page, but are flats (for women's shoes) allowed? I'm in the process of moving and ended up packing all my shoes so I have to borrow some.

Also, it states that we are not allowed to purchase more than one ball ticket at the con, but does this same rule apply if we wanted to purchase 2 of them online?
The Mystic Pop-Tart
Getting the hang of this...

Formal Dance 2011 attire

Post by The Mystic Pop-Tart »

Ah, I did have one more question, while I'm being a pest about this ball.

What's the rule on props? I don't recall seeing anything specific in the dress code about them.

If anyone remembers from last year, I'm the kid with the huge flag and flagpole combo, and if those aren't allowed/wanted at the ball, that's totally fine. My companion and I just need to know if we have to ditch them beforehand.
Hopallee
AB Staff

Formal Dance 2011 attire

Post by Hopallee »

When in doubt read the dress code
"Large props, wings, weapons, or anything that impairs your field of vision will not be allowed in the event as they are an impediment on the dance floor and may be broken or harm others"

So please don't bring a giant flag pole.
Hope McChesney
Assistant Director of Programming/ Formal Ball Co-Chair
Hopallee
AB Staff

Formal Dance 2011 attire

Post by Hopallee »

[quote=DeathNote Resurrection]I can't seem to find it on the Dress Code page, but are flats (for women's shoes) allowed? I'm in the process of moving and ended up packing all my shoes so I have to borrow some.

Also, it states that we are not allowed to purchase more than one ball ticket at the con, but does this same rule apply if we wanted to purchase 2 of them online? [/quote]

Again, when in doubt read the dress code:

"Those dressing in female formal wear (regardless of their own gender) should wear at least semi-formal level dresses and appropriate dress shoes such as heels or dress flats"

Only one ticket per person is allowed online. If you have the registration information for your date/friend it is possible to register for their one ticket for them, but if we see duplicates under the same name we will assume they are in error and delete them.
Hope McChesney
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Formal Dance 2011 attire

Post by Miyu chan »

[quote=MarmaladeChainsaw84]OK so I have a quick question. My friends and I are doing a Soul Eater group and we all have the appropriate formal wear but in the manga, Black*Star wears the formal attire but he doesn't wear it correctly ie it's sloppy looking. Now, can my friend cosplaying Black*Star wear it sloppy and be in character or does it have to be tucked in and such? http://s1028.photobucket.com/albums/y34 ... alWear.jpg
Example of what I mean.[/quote]

Tuck in the shirt. He can tell everyone Maka made him do it.
Amy Caluori
Formal Dance Coordinator 2010-2018
Press Liaison 2014-2015
Formal Dance Staff 2007-2009
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Formal Dance 2011 attire

Post by MomoMiraculous »

lol ok will do thanks.
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
Nobnon
I'm new!

Formal Dance 2011 attire

Post by Nobnon »

I had a quick question about dress shoes.

I will be crossplaying as a male character. The shoes I am wearing with this costume are female dress flats that are covered by boot covers. Would this be acceptable for the formal ball, or do I need to purchase a pair of men's dress shoes.

Thank you so much!
tylerofmaine
AB Staff

Formal Dance 2011 attire

Post by tylerofmaine »

While wearing flats isn't problematic, the boot-covers are. While it's understood that they aren't "boots" per se, the rules do strictly state that boots of any kind are not allowed, so I would recommend you look into an alternative for a costume. There are many different styles of dress shoes out there -- odds are one of them will fit your costume, and there's no chance of you falling if a boot cover slips :) If you are female and looking for traditional men's shoes, try a bridal shop where smaller sizes (for kids) would be commonly in stock. Depending on your shoe size though, there not be many alternatives. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Tyler van Drell
Assistant to the Director, Operations Division
Nobnon
I'm new!

Formal Dance 2011 attire

Post by Nobnon »

So is it okay if I wear female flats without the boot covers with a Male cosplay? Sorry to be redundant, I just want to know before I fly from the midwest. ^_^
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Formal Dance 2011 attire

Post by Miyu chan »

Yes, that will be fine.
Amy Caluori
Formal Dance Coordinator 2010-2018
Press Liaison 2014-2015
Formal Dance Staff 2007-2009
michanmiller
I'm new!

Formal Dance 2011 attire

Post by michanmiller »

The dress code page states that the dress need to be at least knee-length. My prom dress is just above the knee, would that be ok? It's a white satin, strap dress with a sweat-heart neckline. Thank you.
Jentress1378

Formal Dance 2011 attire

Post by Jentress1378 »

Ok, reading the rules, it states that there can be nothing to impair your field of vision. So, I will not wear the headband over one eye.
However..
My concern is, I would like to stay in character.. but.. will it be acceptable to wear the mask and gloves?

Here's what I plan on wearing: Formal Kakashi
DevilAcolyte

Formal Dance 2011 attire

Post by DevilAcolyte »

Okay, so uniforms are okay, but I was curious, I have an Austrian military uniform shirt, which I could pair with some matching slacks and loafers. My question is this: it has a small patch from when I was in college that says "Pirate" on the shoulder opposite the Austrian seal - will I need to remove it?
tylerofmaine
AB Staff

Formal Dance 2011 attire

Post by tylerofmaine »

No, you're fine with leaving it on.

Also, love your avatar, considering I'm in it.
Tyler van Drell
Assistant to the Director, Operations Division
Hopallee
AB Staff

Formal Dance 2011 attire

Post by Hopallee »

While the fingerless leather gloves are pretty informal, since the rest of the outfit is a full suit, I'm going to say it's fine in context. And yes please make sure we can see both your eyes.
Hope McChesney
Hopallee
AB Staff

Formal Dance 2011 attire

Post by Hopallee »

[quote=michanmiller]The dress code page states that the dress need to be at least knee-length. My prom dress is just above the knee, would that be ok? It's a white satin, strap dress with a sweat-heart neckline. Thank you. [/quote]

An inch or two above the knee is fine. Mid-thigh is not.
Hope McChesney
Dress4Dance
I'm new!

Re: Formal Dance 2011 attire

Post by Dress4Dance »

Cosplay is an opportunity to get creative! You can also "reimagine" a character into a formal setting, making someone like Miku-Chan look as dapper as can be and still recognizable!