MTG: Phyrexia/Mirran Event

Collectable Card Games (CCG), Role Playing Games (RPG), Live Action Role Playing (LARP), and tabletop games are covered by this forum.
auspex
I'm new!

Post by auspex »

Hey guys! :content:

The Live Gaming team came up with an interesting idea for a Magic: the Gathering event at AB, and we'd like your input!

Since we now know that the next MTG set will be "New Phyrexia", it's obvious the Mirrans have lost the war. We were thinking it might be fun to have a "Mirran Last Stand" archenemy event, in which several players with Mirran-aligned decks do their best to withstand the might of the Phyrexian evil.

(For those not familiar with the archenemy format, see: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/a ... feature/91)

Here's where we need your help. Would you have any interest in bringing a Mirran preconstructed deck to AB? Or would it be more fun to draft (likely several Mirrodin Besieged packs and several Mirran event packs)? Furthermore, how many of you would be willing to play as the Phyrexian terror?

Any and all suggestions welcome! Thanks!
takenogundam1
Getting the hang of this...

Post by takenogundam1 »

I would indeed be interested in playing, but only as Phyrexians. It may even make me like MTG again.
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Post by Phantom 1 »

I have two Mirren pre-con decks (ironically stored in a Yugioh tin). I think I'll bring them.
ffgamer72
I'm new!

Post by ffgamer72 »

You should really consider getting some drafts together as they are extremely easy to organize, relatively inexpensive, and fun for any player of any skill level. Drafting is also one of the most common and popular ways to play magic.

I am going to explain how drafting works here so if you already know you can skip this paragraph. In a booster draft, several players (usually eight) are seated around a table and each player is given three booster packs. Each player opens a pack, selects a card from it and passes the remaining cards to his or her left. Each player then selects one of the 14 remaining cards from the pack that was just passed to him or her, and passes the remaining cards to the left again. This continues until all of the cards are depleted. The process is repeated with the second and third packs, except that the cards are passed to the right in the second pack. Players then build decks out of any of the cards that they selected during the drafting and add as many basic lands as they want.

A good rule of thumb when constructing your deck is to make a deck of 1-3 colors and play 23 spells and 17 lands. People are then paired and play a match best two out of three. In an eight man pod there will be three rounds. This generally takes anywhere from 2-3 hours for the whole tournament.

The current draft format is Mirrodin Besieged, Scars of Mirrodin, Scars or Mirrodin. I can get packs at $3 so a draft shouldn't cost more than 10 a person. We would need someone to provide basic land but that shouldn't be too much of a problem as it's extremely cheap and I could always find a way to get some if need be.

There are two ways to organize a prize structure either backdraft the rares or up the entry fee and add packs as prizes. I am personally a huge advocate or backdrafting. Backdraftig the rares means after the 3 matches are done (in an eight man pod) everyone takes the rares out of there decks and sidedecks and put them on the table. You will end up with 24 rares and maybe a couple more foil rares. The person who got 1st takes 1st pick of the rares then second and so on until everyone has selected 3 rares.

I would like to help run a couple drafts but would like to do so with permission. It would kinda suck if I organized a draft then got kicked out for "selling" packs to get a tournament going. If you have any question just message me or reply here.