View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Changes to the Anime Boston Prop Policy (4/18/13) 
AB Staff

Post Changes to the Anime Boston Prop Policy (4/18/13)
Anime Boston, in working with the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority (MCCA), Mayor's Office, and Boston Police Department, has made updates to its Prop Policy for 2013.

The current Props policy can be read here: http://www.animeboston.com/coninfo/conv ... ies/#props.

These changes mostly affect the prop check process (aka peace-bonding), but also the use of Projectile Weapons as props. Projectile Weapons (pellet guns, airsoft rifles, pistols, disc guns, paintball markers, water pistols, or other liquid "weapons," etc) will no longer be allowed, whether or not they are functional. These changes were at the direction of the MCCA and Mayor's Office and are not open to debate or appeal.

Please be aware that these changes were worked out before the tragic events of 4/15/13. Due to mitigating circumstances, we were unable to post them until today. If any further developments are made, we will post them as soon as possible.

Please feel free to post below with any questions or concerns.

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!

Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:21 am
Veteran Poster

Post Re: Changes to the Anime Boston Prop Policy (4/18/13)
If I were a cosplayer I would consider not bringing any weapon props of any sort, but that's just me. Emotions are running high right now and will most likely be high during Memorial Day weekend.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:26 am
Experienced Poster

With this new ruling in effect, does anyone have any idea what to do about a Solid Snake cosplay? Can't exactly make a fake gun. Would a toy gun painted black (with orange tip) be okay? I'd imagine not, seeing as how this policy is basically saying anything that looks like a gun (even if broken beyond repair) is a no-no. Such a bummer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plastic-Rubber- ... %26ps%3D54

Would something like this? It could never possibly be used as a weapon and was never able to fire. Is it just about look? If so, some clarification would be great.

If I go as Canderous and Solidus, my John Cygan cosplay will be complete.

Last edited by Revan_Deschain on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:50 am
Dedicated Poster

Likely for me all my props purely props that would break rather easily. A harp for Sheik and a bound up whip for Youko Kurama. If I had been planning Maes Hughes I'd probably forgo my resin prop gun despite it being one solid piece of plastic with a bright orange tip.
I mean even if security says my prop(s) aren't accepted or allowed oh well it will just go back into my suitcase in my hotel room. no need to cause a scene over a silly little prop.

Jack Frost (RotG)

~No regret for the confidence betrayed
No more hiding in shadow
Cause I won't wait for the debt to be repaid
Time has come for you~

Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:53 am
Profile YIM
Getting the hang of this...

With all the changes to the props policy and stricter security will I still be able to bring my metal automail arm? There was a kid with one in previous years. http://www.renders-graphiques.fr/image/ ... vector.png

The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be-DNA

Anime Boston 2014 Cosplay:
Momiji (Good Luck Girl!)
Osgood (The Day of the Doctor)
Mataichi (Requiem from the Darkness)

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:09 pm
AB Staff

Costume parts should be fine. However, we cannot pre-approve any props until they are inspected at the convention.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:35 pm
Dedicated Poster

egyptianruin wrote:
If I were a cosplayer I would consider not bringing any weapon props of any sort, but that's just me. Emotions are running high right now and will most likely be high during Memorial Day weekend.

Yeah, I'm rethinking my props. Definitely won't be bringing one of them, seriously considering leaving another one at home. Emotions will be high and I certainly don't want to add to that.

AB 12: Belarus, Hungary, fem!Canada
AB 13 : Eponine, GLaDOS, Sunako Nakahara
AB 14 : Princess Cadance, GLaDOS, Applejack
AB 15: Luna in cat form, Kurisu Makise (all subject to change)

Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:05 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Poster

I know you can't pre-approve weapons or anything, but does that mean my Harkonnen(Seras Victori's cannon from Hellsing) wouldn't even have a chance of going through weapon's check even if he had an orange tip and wasn't made with any actual projectile parts?

AB '13 - Fon Master Ion/- 2nd Uniform Allen Walker/- Casual Allen Walker/- Tsunayoshi Sawada/- Seras Victoria/- Pierce Villiers
AB '14 - Ending!Nagisa/- Morgiana/- Blood Lust Seras Victoria?/- Ravio?

Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
AB Staff

If the weapon was made to launch projectiles (airsoft guns, paintball guns, etc) then it won't be allowed. Other fake weapons will still be allowed, providing the pass inspection.

In short, if your prop isn't specifically prohibited according to the rules, then it will probably be allowed. But as always, no prop can be approved until it is inspected at the convention.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:02 pm
Veteran Poster

Sweet babies, thank you

AB '13 - Fon Master Ion/- 2nd Uniform Allen Walker/- Casual Allen Walker/- Tsunayoshi Sawada/- Seras Victoria/- Pierce Villiers
AB '14 - Ending!Nagisa/- Morgiana/- Blood Lust Seras Victoria?/- Ravio?

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:43 pm
Profile WWW

One thing that would be nice to adjust the rules accordingly, but from what I head someone I know working with the security people for Boston Comiccon that props of any kind made from wood are not allowed as a Hynes convention center general policy, Anime Boston's rules should probably reflect that if it is the case since many people use wood as a construction material with props.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:18 pm
Profile WWW
Experienced Poster

I have a question regarding the Peace-bonding:

The update is that weapons have to be checked every day (which I see as a good thing; and would do regardless) but does that mean (if a weapon passes check) that we're going to have 3 different bonds on it, or simply have the bonded weapon re-checked everyday?

Short version: If we have to get our weapons checked everyday, how many bonds are we going to have on them? (ie: Do we have a different bond (color) each day of con)

[Note: This year would be my first time going through weapon check (for my White Mage's hammer), so that's why I'm curious on the new procedure regarding bonds. The other is that I'd just like a little clarification in general, since someone should be asking these types of questions]

AB 2014: White Mage
~Chibi

Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:21 pm
Expert Poster

I do have a few questions when it comes to my props. I have two cosplays that I usually use prop weapons with but before I go ahead and even think about bringing them to a convention, I wanted to ask if they were alright to bring first.

For my first cosplay I usually use a plastic toy bow which is about 21 1/2 inches long (which is actually broken and held together with string and cloth). Since it is broken and the character that I am using uses lightning bolts instead of arrows, I won't be shooting anything. Since I have no intention of firing the lightning bolts I made and they are not able to be fired at all (the lightning bolts I had made are made from felt, they are much larger than the width of the bow when the string is extended, and I don't know how to fire an arrow at all to begin with), is this allowed to be used at the convention in just a posing with manner?

For my second cosplay I have a prop sword that usually goes with it. It is about 41 1/2 inches long and made from a firm and strong foam.

Would either of these weapons be allowed for posing for pictures only? I would also like to know if they do need to be checked first. I'm going to be going to the check anyway if either of these props is allowed, but I wanted to make sure.

I can easily get pictures of these props to show them.

Captain Kirkland

Anime Boston 2014 Cosplays:
Umbreon Ginjinka
Toph Beifong
Roxas

Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:52 pm
AB Staff

Guys we are serious when we say "We CANNOT approve weapons before hand" If you have to question yourself about it, don't bring it. Ask your friends see, what they say... If it's not straight forward in the rules ask a vague question, we will try and clarify, but if you do read the info provided "All fake and prop guns must have an orange tip, whether glued plastic or painted." These types of weapons are OK. Just realize you put yourself in a position to get stared, at, stopped by police, reported to police, etc. by bringing these weapons into the facility and into the general public, so don't do something stupid with it like whip it around.

Assistant Security Manager 2009-2014
Security 2005-2008
Information Desk 2004
Volunteer 2003

Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:00 pm
Profile YIM
I'm new!

In regards to prop guns having an orange tip, one of my toy guns actually has a bright red tip, will that do either way?

Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:33 pm
Expert Poster

Just bring your stuff, in the event it has to be held for the time being, have a backup plan. I am still bringing my prop guns. If they are not accepted, I can just be another cosplay or an alternate prop. I saw the years past to be lax considering people at this con are honest enough not to use a prop other than to look cool. It sucks outsiders have to ruin a great experience.
5 MORE WEEkS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SAT: WILDC.A.T.s.(comic) - Grifter
R^V3: FLASH

downwash.tumblr.com
youtube.com/XsteveswansonX

Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
Expert Poster

DreamAeris wrote:
Guys we are serious when we say "We CANNOT approve weapons before hand" If you have to question yourself about it, don't bring it. Ask your friends see, what they say... If it's not straight forward in the rules ask a vague question, we will try and clarify, but if you do read the info provided "All fake and prop guns must have an orange tip, whether glued plastic or painted." These types of weapons are OK. Just realize you put yourself in a position to get stared, at, stopped by police, reported to police, etc. by bringing these weapons into the facility and into the general public, so don't do something stupid with it like whip it around.

I understand this, and I know in the event with my second prop that I will need to have it checked. Though when it comes to my bow (and since bow and arrows are not listed on the info provided about it though they are considered a projectile prop) i needed to know if it was acceptable to bring since I am not using it to fire anything.

Captain Kirkland

Umbreon Ginjinka
Toph Beifong
Roxas

Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:00 pm

This is what I wore last year and those are the props I carried, both have been permanently disabled (one solid chunk of plastic right now and you can't see in the picture but both have a very bright orange tip) also notice the blue zip tie from 2012.

Allowed or not ?

Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:09 pm
Determined Poster

Hi! I have a question..
I have a friend coming who's going to be cosplaying Casey Jones from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.. He has a few things in his golf bag.. Mostly Hockey sticks &such.. The question is though, the Weapons Policy says: "Practice swords including bokens and kendo bamboo practice swords." Would it still be alright to bring a cricket bat &baseball bat..? I'm only asking since both are wooden.. Thank you!

- Black Tiger[T&B].
- 2YSanji[OP].
- Seiya Kou[SM](Masquerade Only).

Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:52 pm
AB Staff

Regarding peace-bonding, we will have distinct zip ties for each day. I personally am unsure if they will remove the bonds from previous days. That will probably be decided by the MCCA and Boston Police.

If you had a formerly functioning projectile weapon that you have completely disabled, per the new policy rules, it will still not be allowed.

As for bats and swords, a good rule of thumb is, if you hit someone with it, which would break first? The prop or the person you're hitting? Solid wooden bats will not be allowed. You can get a plastic whiffle bat and paint it accordingly. Or find a suitable substitute made of form, balsa wood, plastic, etc.

But, as always, no prop can be approved prior to the convention.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:37 pm
AB Staff

Just to reiterate, we cannot respond to every single request of "Should this item be alright?" What you need to do is, read the Prop Policy and the links to lists of things not allowed (MCCA Regulations, MA General Laws, and Prohibited Items list). We have made the list of things not allowed as specific as we can. Read through the lists, and if your prop does not fit anything mentioned then it will probably be fine, probably being the key word. Nothing can be 100% approved until we see it in person, no exceptions.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:00 pm

Sorry to bother you, I just wanted to clarify this part: "Fake guns and other prop weapons should not be carried outside the convention center. The Boston Police Department will treat anyone carrying realistic looking weapons as a LEGITIMATE THREAT AND WILL TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTION!"

My group does not stay in any of the hotels connected to the convention center, so we walk to and from our hotel. I understand that fake guns should be hidden while traveling. However, the group usually has props that are more along the lines of giant hammers, staffs, etc. I can not possibly think of a way not to carry these out in the open outside. Will these really be a problem?

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:05 pm
Experienced Poster

If you ask me, the Mayor's office is probably going to say later on that all prop weapons must be banned now.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:25 pm
AB Staff

BridgyKitty wrote:
Sorry to bother you, I just wanted to clarify this part: "Fake guns and other prop weapons should not be carried outside the convention center. The Boston Police Department will treat anyone carrying realistic looking weapons as a LEGITIMATE THREAT AND WILL TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTION!"

My group does not stay in any of the hotels connected to the convention center, so we walk to and from our hotel. I understand that fake guns should be hidden while traveling. However, the group usually has props that are more along the lines of giant hammers, staffs, etc. I can not possibly think of a way not to carry these out in the open outside. Will these really be a problem?

Big fake hammers, staffs, etc will generally be alright. We just ask that everyone cooperates with Boston PD and MCCA security if approached. The real concern is realistic looking weaponry.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:33 pm
AB Staff

redseedsprofile wrote:
If you ask me, the Mayor's office is probably going to say later on that all prop weapons must be banned now.

As you were told before in another thread, we have not had any such communication from the MCCA or the City of Boston. Please refrain from making such speculation, as that's how rumors are started and inaccuracies spread.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:35 pm
Experienced Poster

Faceman wrote:
Regarding peace-bonding, we will have distinct zip ties for each day. I personally am unsure if they will remove the bonds from previous days. That will probably be decided by the MCCA and Boston Police.

This answered my question. Thank you for the quick response! ^.^

AB 2014: White Mage
~Chibi

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:55 pm
Expert Poster

Faceman wrote:

If you had a formerly functioning projectile weapon that you have completely disabled, per the new policy rules, it will still not be allowed.

As for bats and swords, a good rule of thumb is, if you hit someone with it, which would break first? The prop or the person you're hitting? Solid wooden bats will not be allowed. You can get a plastic whiffle bat and paint it accordingly. Or find a suitable substitute made of form, balsa wood, plastic, etc.

But, as always, no prop can be approved prior to the convention.

this helped me a lot. thank you very much! ^-^

Captain Kirkland

Umbreon Ginjinka
Toph Beifong
Roxas

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:13 pm

Faceman wrote:

So that is a big NO then, that is good to know, this way I will not be wasting my money next year, thanks.

PS: so even if it is a solid resin replica, even though it was never meant to be "functional" but looks like a firearm is a no go according to the new policy (which AB should admit it was put in to effect after the events on monday 4/15/13, there is no shame in that).

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:55 am
AB Staff

Zodia wrote:
PS: so even if it is a solid resin replica, even though it was never meant to be "functional" but looks like a firearm is a no go according to the new policy (which AB should admit it was put in to effect after the events on monday 4/15/13, there is no shame in that).

A solid plastic/rubber replica does not fit into the criteria of what is not allowed. It must still have a bright orange tip and be inspected for final approval at the convention. We cannot say 100% if it will be allowed until we see it in person. The best we can advise is to try to follow the rules as we post, but be prepared for the fact that your prop may be rejected.

I can state for a fact that this policy was not made in reaction to the 4/15/13 incident. I have the email from our Director of Operations regarding the policy changes from Friday, April 12. But due to scheduling and a nasty head cold, I hadn't been able to post it until yesterday.

Please do not make assumptions about why we've done things, especially when they're directly in opposite of what we've stated.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:19 am
I'm new!

From the looks of what has been said before, the answer seems unfortunately answered, but prior to my working on the prop itself, I need to double check:

(The picture is being used only for reference purposes.)
http://static.zerochan.net/Harada.Sanos ... 006294.jpg

The original intent was to make the entire prop from a wooden dowel, or mostly out of wood. I need to know if this would be considered acceptable to bring into the convention center, or what is it that I have to do to make it approved?

I understand that the most likely response will be "it cannot be pre-approved" or that any wooden object falls under the criteria of a bokken/shinai, however, its not like the intent is to swing the darn thing. It is being used to identify the character, and allow for more options when it comes to poses if pictures are being requested.

Thank you kindly,

Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:58 pm
AB Staff

I cant open the picture TeaMan89, it says it's hosted and to use the "share links provided" instead. Could you upload it from another source, or describe exactly what your making?

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:40 pm
I'm new!

Hmmm...it looks like that was the better picture of the ones I have been trying to dig up.

It looks almost exactly like Soul Calibur's Seung Mina's naginata. The only difference is that the blade is smaller and more narrow. I am just trying to figure out if something like that would be considered ok if it was made from a dowel, or if I should consider using something like PVC piping?

Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:15 pm
Veteran Poster

Zodia wrote:
the new policy (which AB should admit it was put in to effect after the events on monday 4/15/13, there is no shame in that).

why is it so hard to believe that menino's office stepped in to cause problems? his staff apparently wanted to leave one more set of limitations before he retired. his administration LOVES to micromanage what events can and can't do.

i for one have no trouble whatsoever taking ab staff at their word that this is something that was planned weeks ago at the behest of local government officials. this is much more credible claim for them to make than when they tried to claim that not giving out plastic bags at entry was "going green in honor of earth day" a few years ago.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
Dedicated Poster

I don't understand why some people are being so negative. I mean come on it's not the end of the world if you can't bring your toy gun or sword to an anime convention.
Seriously people if you don't like the changes don't attend the convention. Your a handful of people complaining about something that you can do nothing about. Accept the fact that the policy has change regardless of why, how, or when and move on.

Jack Frost (RotG)

No more hiding in shadow
Time has come for you~

Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:58 pm
Profile YIM

FarFromRedemption wrote:
I don't understand why some people are being so negative. I mean come on it's not the end of the world if you can't bring your toy gun or sword to an anime convention.
Seriously people if you don't like the changes don't attend the convention. Your a handful of people complaining about something that you can do nothing about. Accept the fact that the policy has change regardless of why, how, or when and move on.

Well one possible answer to that is some props require alot of attention and work, so these new rules are kind of putting a no-no sticker on what could be months of hard effort and people are getting uncomfortable by that. That's just me though, I have little to no clue on how everyone views this but one thing's for sure you're right; rules are rules and we have to adhere to them. It just takes time for some of us to turn over to a new leaf.

Maybe I'm one of them =P

AB 2011:
Hei - Darker Than Black

AB 2012:
Hei - Darker Than Black
Metrocop - Half Life 2

AB 2013:
Jack - Samurai Jack

AB 2014:
Jack - Samurai Jack
Dandy - Space☆Dandy

Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:53 pm

If this policy change was made before the tragic events at the Marathon occurred, why then is the Boston Police going to be present at AB security when props are being checked? Also, the logistical nightmare of having to check props of a multitude of con goers everyday of the event....will people be standing in line more than enjoying the festivities? There were more problems with the dance last year than fake weapons violations or incidents.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:50 am
Veteran Poster

FarFromRedemption wrote:
I don't understand why some people are being so negative.

probably because the announcement was made so close to the con itself rather than back in september, and people probably already have props that are banned now but would have been fine previously. also, some aspects of the ban are ridiculous.

this banned item is not going to pose any potential harm to anyone:

regardless, everyone is complaining to the wrong people. by criticizing ab staff, they are shooting the messenger (no pun intended) rather than complaining to the people who actually told ab that they had to do this (either as an explicit requirement or as a "we'd really appreciate it if you did this, and oh yeah, we are the people that give you the permits to hold your convention").

Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:35 am
Profile WWW
I'm new!

@Ficus: Hopefully this link works? (http://www.zerochan.net/full/1006294)

And one thing that is probably causing some frustration with the policy was just mentioned, about a ridiculous amount of time put into a prop months ahead of time to only find out you can't bring it.

I do understand that the rules do need to be followed, but with certain cosplays, the prop is a defining piece to the outfit/allows for better posing options for anyone that asks to take a photo and what not. That is merely my two cents on the topic at hand.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:35 pm

I understand that the organizers of AB had their hands tied on this one...but normal,lawabiding citizens seem to suffer most from the unthinking acts of a few or the overreaction of city officials. If my props are not accepted, then back to the hotel room they go. Although it would be nice to showcase them with my outfit, not having them will not diminish my having fun at the event. I just wonder if putting the hammer down on young people at a Anime Con will really keep Boston or it citizens any more safe after the Marathon bombing. Are con-goers safety or those patrons visiting the Pru that much at risk during AnimeBoston? Please try to treat people like they have some intelligence....not mindless children who don'nt know right from wrong and need to be told what to do. I realize there are rules to follow, but how much is too much?

Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:44 pm
Veteran Poster

I plan on cosplaying Mami Tomoe who carries this musket: http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/files/co ... ficial.png

But, I'm staying in the Marriott, so I will have to walk through the Pru to get to the Hynes. How should I go about transporting this to the con for approval? Should I just carry it or should I try to cover it while I'm outside of the convention center?

Mami Tomoe
Lisbeth (SAO)

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:51 pm
Veteran Poster

fancyduckie wrote:
I plan on cosplaying Mami Tomoe who carries this musket: http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/files/co ... ficial.png

But, I'm staying in the Marriott, so I will have to walk through the Pru to get to the Hynes. How should I go about transporting this to the con for approval? Should I just carry it or should I try to cover it while I'm outside of the convention center?

Just an idea, but why not make a cute carry case for your musket? Kinda like a long back pack or something like that.

Also on the new changes I personally like them, I don't think the changes are as terrible as people make them out to be. Getting them check everyday, no props that could potentially hold foreign contaminates aren't the worst thing in the world.

Also after the whole bombing I think we should just be lucky AB didn't just say or was pressured into a no prop weapons period.

Unknown atm

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:00 am
I'm new!

Re: Changes to the Anime Boston Prop Policy (4/18/13)
Quick question about the prop inspection checkpoints: will they be set up such that everyone has to go through them, regardless of whether we have props or not (because it seems like that would slow things down a lot)? My husband and I both cosplay, but our costumes don't require props (weapons or otherwise).

Thanks!

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:03 am
AB Staff

Daenerys Stormborn wrote:
Quick question about the prop inspection checkpoints: will they be set up such that everyone has to go through them, regardless of whether we have props or not (because it seems like that would slow things down a lot)? My husband and I both cosplay, but our costumes don't require props (weapons or otherwise).

Thanks!

Nope, you're all set. This is just for props, cosplayers without any can just come in like non-cosplayers would!

Merch Booth Babe- 2008-2014
All Con Volunteer- 2007

Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:17 pm
I'm new!

I realize that this has been stated over and over again, and I realize I may get "this has already been covered" etc. However, I am constructing a blunderbuss with exaggerated proportions out of a cardboard poster tube and styrofoam that is both a prop and a carrying tube for prints that I would purchase at the con. Considering that it will have exaggerated proportions and a trigger made out of cardboard/foamcore, making it useless really, will this be subject to the orange ring ruling? If necessary, I won't put the trigger on, but I am curious if an old fashioned fake gun such as this would need to have the orange ring, and if so how big does this ring need to be?

Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:25 pm

As an avid airsoft fan, convention staff to another con, and cosplayer. I am here to give you guys some alternatives from your Airsoft Props.

A great and safe alternative is buying a Blue Gun / Red Gun. Basically they are real life replica but its made completely out of rubber with some steel reinforcement inside so it won't break. And its either blue or red. Granted color wise might erk some people but Military/Police Officers will know instantly its fake because they use it to train too.

Here is one site you can buy from but options are limited of course,
http://www.botachtactical.com/blueguns.html

I plan on buying a Blue Gun for my Battlefield 3 cosplay.

Facebook
Youtube
DevientArt

Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:40 pm
Profile WWW
Experienced Poster

I bought a self-defense training gun on eBay. It's completely black, very solid - one chunk of plastic, no trigger, and has a clear red tip (which I'll be painting orange because why cause a fuss). I plan on maybe gluing my airsoft silencer on (which has an orange tip already) for the stealth look. Point being, there are options out there for those of us with the more realistic looking props.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:12 pm
Experienced Poster

SparklehPanda wrote:
I realize that this has been stated over and over again, and I realize I may get "this has already been covered" etc. However, I am constructing a blunderbuss with exaggerated proportions out of a cardboard poster tube and styrofoam that is both a prop and a carrying tube for prints that I would purchase at the con. Considering that it will have exaggerated proportions and a trigger made out of cardboard/foamcore, making it useless really, will this be subject to the orange ring ruling? If necessary, I won't put the trigger on, but I am curious if an old fashioned fake gun such as this would need to have the orange ring, and if so how big does this ring need to be?

I imagine that if it looks cartoony enough with exaggerated proportions it should be fine. I think the two big things are, capability of firing (past or current) and look. If you're carrying a fake M4, someone will say something. No one's probably going to make a fuss over some crazy 18th century contraption.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:15 pm
Dedicated Poster

reaper527 wrote:

this banned item is not going to pose any potential harm to anyone:

Actually in that item it is not the item itself that would cause harm, but harm could be caused by what people could potentially put inside it and fire at people.

Jack Frost (RotG)

No more hiding in shadow
Time has come for you~

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:10 pm
Profile YIM
Veteran Poster

FarFromRedemption wrote:
Actually in that item it is not the item itself that would cause harm, but harm could be caused by what people could potentially put inside it and fire at people.

nothing that couldn't be put in a water bottle or a spray bottle or a variety of other allowed devices

Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:36 pm
Profile WWW

Alright I got a quick question. I've been to AB for several years now (this year will be my 5th year in a row) and this year will be my first actually having a prop weapon. FYI my prop is a small pistol. Its is a cheap $1 toy that broke and couldn't fire even if I wanted to, and even then I'm planning on plugging it/permanently sealing it and putting something to act as the orange cap, and even then I plan on having it checked regardless. the second is a backup one in the shape of a revolver that I got out of some kid police kit (it already having the orange cap). Again; pretty sure these shouldn't be a problem, and if I cant I'll just have the security throw em away for me if they don't pass. (I don't have a hotel room, if they are that much of a hassle I'd rather them be thrown out. And heck; I only bought them at a dollar store and painted them, so I'm not throwing $50 into the trash)

Now here's my big question that I've noticed hasn't been asked yet:
WHERE do we get our prop weapons checked while there? I have no problem taking a small little detour as soon as I get there to have my props be checked, but I don't want to be walking around asking random people where can I get my props checked while there. I want to get it done and over with ASAP and get to having fun at the con.

Saturday night/ball and Sunday - Black Jack from his series.

"Life is a risk. Even being born was a risk. We do it everyday and every moment; we just don't realize it. Risk is putting what you hold dear on the line and taking a leap of faith hoping to either reach salvation or fall in a pit of pain and death." ~ Me

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next