Anime Boston is going back home… to the Boston Park Plaza. Both the Informal and Formal Dances will be held at the Boston Park Plaza Castle, at 130 Columbus Avenue.
We’ve taken no shortcuts when planning this event. We’re still going to bring you the same great DJs and atmosphere that’s you’ve come to expect at an Anime Boston dance. Returning this year will be Greg Ayres and his team of DJs as well as our fabulous hosts at the Formal Ball.
To ensure the safety of our attendees and staff, we will be:
- -Offering shuttle buses between the Sheraton Boston and the Park Plaza Castle
- -Enforcing an 18+, weekend-pass only policy for admittance to the Informal Dance
- -Ensuring that ample water and air conditioning are available at both dances
- -Increasing our medical and security presence on-site at both dances
- -Both dances will be held on Saturday. There will be no informal dance on Friday.
- -The formal ball will be held from 6:00 - 9:00 p.m.
- -The informal dance will be held from 9:30 p.m. - 2:00 a.m.
- -The Castle is approximately one mile from the convention center, at the corner of Columbus Ave. and Arlington St.
- -Since the Castle is off-site, we will offer a shuttle service to and from the dances from 5:30 p.m. - 2:30 a.m.
- -MBTA service to the Castle is available via the Arlington Street station on the Green Line. The Park Plaza is two blocks away from the Arlington Street T stop.
- -All tickets/wristbands are limited to one per person.
- -Tickets are required to attend the Formal Ball. A limited amount of tickets will be made available online with the rest being sold at the convention.
- -A full weekend pass and wristband will be required to attend the Informal Dance. Wristbands can be picked up in Registration on Saturday afternoon. You must have your weekend badge and photo ID at time of pick-up.
- -Wristbands will be distributed in Registration at 3:30 p.m. Saturday. There will be a cap of 1,450 total wristbands.
- -The Formal Ball is still all-ages.
- -A wristband or weekend pass is not required to attend the Formal Ball
- -We still plan to offer dance lessons prior to the formal dance. Exact time and location to be announced with our schedule.
- -All previous policies regarding the formal ball will apply this year. Information will be posted on our website in the near future.
- -As always, this will be a ticketed event and all proceeds will go to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.
- -All attendees wishing to attend the informal dance must:
- -Be at least 18 years of age with a government issued photo ID.
- -Have a weekend badge to Anime Boston 2013. One-day badges will not be accepted.
- -Have a wristband for the informal dance. It must be worn at all times during the dance.
- -The Informal Dance Policy will be strictly enforced. Please leave all personal items behind. Anime Boston has the right to remove any attendee from the event.
- -Both badges and wristbands will be checked at the shuttle bus and at the entrance of the dance.
- -In addition to Anime Boston Security Staff, Boston Park Plaza and the Boston Police Department will be on site. Depending on the situation, Anime Boston may defer security issues to Boston Police.
- -An EMT detail will be on site for any medical emergencies.
Q: Why all the changes?
A: In order to prevent a repeat of the incidents last year and ensure the safety of our dance attendees, we worked with our partners at the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority and various hotels to host this high-energy, popular event at the Boston Park Plaza.
Anime Boston strives for a safe environment for all of its attendees, especially after the events that occurred last year during our Informal Dance. As result of these issues, all Programming on the second floor of the Sheraton will be suspended after 6 p.m.
For more information on what happened last year, please see this thread.
Q: Will the dances be back in the Sheraton next year?
A: Unfortunately, we cannot answer this question at this time. What we do know is that this year’s dances will be just as awesome as years' past.
Q: Why can’t the informal dance be open to those under 18?
A: Because the dance is being hosted off-site, it brings in a larger issue of responsibility and liability towards minors. We are not able to take the risk to transporting minors from the convention grounds.
Q: Why do I need a full weekend badge instead of a Saturday-only?
A: Over the past few years, we found that attendees were buying a single-day badge to attend just the Informal Dance. We instituted this change to show that the Informal Dance is a part of Anime Boston, and not a separate event of its own.
Q: What could you have done instead?
A: Anime Boston has spent the last several months exploring all ideas and venues for both our Formal and Informal events. We found that the Boston Park Plaza was our best option.
Q: But, I only have a small purse. Can I bring it to the Informal Dance?
A: There will be only medical exceptions to this policy. It is recommended to leave your bags in your hotel room, car, or at the hotel baggage check.
Q: I need my inhaler, EpiPen and\or other medical supplies? Can I bring it to the Informal Dance?
A: Medical supplies are to be checked by a member of event security at the door.
Q: Can I pick up a wristband for my friend?
A: No. Each attendee must pick up their own wristband from Registration.
Q: Do I have to keep my wristband, photo ID, and convention badge on?
A: Yes. If you do not have all three, you will not be permitted onto the shuttles and you will not be permitted into the informal dance. If you are found without one of these three items, you may be ejected from the event.
Q: Do I have to take the shuttles to and from the dances?
A: We are providing them for your convenience and security. If you do not wish to take the shuttles, you may walk to the Castle, take the subway or a taxi cab.
Q: Will the shuttles be handicap accessible?
A: We will have at least one shuttle that is handicap accessible.
If you have further questions, please post them in this thread.