View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:33 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
The Cosplay HQ is now closed. 
AB Staff

Post The Cosplay HQ is now closed.
The Cosplay HQ is our new system to manage your applications to different Cosplay Events at Anime Boston. Check our out Cosplay HQ page for more information on it.

Please keep in mind that the Cosplay HQ is a new system and as such there may be some bugs left to iron out. If you encounter any problems or have questions, please post in this thread.

Edit: FYI, the side that you guys see is all ready and set. However, the administrative side (that staff uses) is still in the works. All the data's being saved properly and stuff. But Cosplay Staff won't be able to directly see it just yet. That'll be in the next week or two as I get to it. I just wanted to let you all know to establish realistic expectations.

Edit 2 (May 3): Cosplay applications are now closed. You are no longer able to edit/create new costumes. If you need to make a change to an existing application, please contact us here and select "Cosplay Games Coordinator" from the drop-down list.

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:50 pm
The Lone Mod

Post Re: The Cosplay HQ is now open!
To add on to Chris's post...

The first time you log in, you'll be asked to fill in a lot of information. The wonderful thing is that you will only have to fill this information in ONCE! Ever! This system will be functioning as a database so we as coordinators can keep track of who was involved in which event (which is why we asked you so many questions in the "history" section).

Before, if you wanted to apply to Chess, both Dating Games, and Death Match (for instance) you'd have to fill in forms for each one, most of which containing the same exact information. With this new system, you put in your personal information, tell us your history with AB's events, then create your costumes. Then it's a simple matter of checking off boxes to apply to each event you want to participate in.

The best part? Those costumes you entered won't go away next year. You'll be able to update them if you want, but you won't have to upload all those pictures again.

Since I am anticipating this question coming up: No, your costume page is NOT public. No one other than event coordinators will be able to see the pictures and information you put up.

I hope that this system makes it easier for everyone to apply to our events in the future!

"I will protect those who cannot protect themselves." ~Kaladin Stormblessed, The Way of Kings

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:08 am
AB Staff

I just adjusted the history page. The default option will be Did Not Participate. That should make it a bit easier going forward when you're filling it out.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:12 am
Veteran Poster

Silly question: I just went to submit my application for the Masquerade, but when I hit submit applications, the page just took me back to my application with everything filled in. How do I know if it was submitted properly?

Mami Tomoe
Lisbeth (SAO)

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:14 am
Experienced Poster

I just wanted to confirm: we do not need to upload a photo of our costume to enter the masquerade. Is that true? I ask because my cosplay is still in progress at this point.

Also, I really like what you've done with the Cosplay HQ system. It worked very smoothly from my end!

Edit:
Faceman wrote:
I just adjusted the history page. The default option will be Did Not Participate. That should make it a bit easier going forward when you're filling it out.

Thanks! My mouse finger got a little tired filling out all those boxes ;)

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:15 am
Profile WWW
AB Staff

fancyduckie wrote:
Silly question: I just went to submit my application for the Masquerade, but when I hit submit applications, the page just took me back to my application with everything filled in. How do I know if it was submitted properly?

When you submit, there's a confirmation message in red at the top.

When you click on Masq, Hall Cosplay, or Cosplay Games, if you've already submitted an application, it'll have all of the application info there still. In case you want to update your application at all.

Once the deadlines come, Cosplay Event staff will close applications for events. But until then you're free to edit yours if you have to.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:20 am
Obsessed Poster

I'm loving HQ! :D And I -may- have accidentally sent in duplicate applications for Hallway :? Oopsie?

AB '13: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Meryl Silverburgh (MGS1) & Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2)
AB '14: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Olga Gurlukovich(MGS2)

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:21 am
AB Staff

AlbinoShadow wrote:
I just wanted to confirm: we do not need to upload a photo of our costume to enter the masquerade. Is that true? I ask because my cosplay is still in progress at this point.

Photos of costumes for the Masquerade or Hall Cosplay Contest are not required. We only want to know what your costume(s) will be. Photos are required for the Cosplay Games, however, as the participants are a bit more involved in the actual event.

Don't worry, the form will ask you everything it needs to know for the event. Whatever it doesn't ask you isn't needed ;)

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:21 am
Veteran Poster

When I look over the application I sent, it doesn't have the "I read the rules" checked off. I know I hit the button, but I'm not sure if it went threw now...Should I send an email to masq coordinator just to make sure? Cause I've read the rules about 5 times now. xD

Unknown atm

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:24 am
Getting the hang of this...

So we won't receive a confirmation email or anything?
And thanks for all your hard work! The new system is pretty awesome!

Thursday: Undecided
Friday: Sailor Neptune - Sailor Moon
Saturday: Fai - Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle
Sunday: Matt - Digimon

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:25 am
Profile WWW
Veteran Poster

@Faceman: Thank you so much! This is super convenient and I love the new system!

Mami Tomoe
Lisbeth (SAO)

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:26 am
Experienced Poster

Faceman wrote:
Photos of costumes for the Masquerade or Hall Cosplay Contest are not required. We only want to know what your costume(s) will be. Photos are required for the Cosplay Games, however, as the participants are a bit more involved in the actual event.

Don't worry, the form will ask you everything it needs to know for the event. Whatever it doesn't ask you isn't needed ;)

Excellent, thank you!

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:27 am
Profile WWW
AB Staff

Renjigirl221 wrote:
When I look over the application I sent, it doesn't have the "I read the rules" checked off. I know I hit the button, but I'm not sure if it went threw now...Should I send an email to masq coordinator just to make sure? Cause I've read the rules about 5 times now. xD

It doesn't retain the read the rules button after you've successfully submitted it. That's just in case there are more events later.

However, I did just add in a timestamp in red next to an event name if you successfully applied for it. If you see that, you're all set.

And to answer another post, no, there is no email confirmation. At this point, you're able to view the application live and know it went through. Cosplay Event staff will be able to notify you at a later date though.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:31 am
Obsessed Poster

I had a thought. What if we're a member of a group and pretty much designated the one who handles applying for events and such, and the other members of your group don't have accounts on the website; can groupmates piggyback on, I guess, the leader's account and profile?
I feel like the answer's obvious and I've just been working too hard on my Ice Queen to think straight :lol:

Edit: I don't have any pictures available yet so I can't check the applications and find the answer for myself :(

AB '13: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Meryl Silverburgh (MGS1) & Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2)

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:33 am
AB Staff

RapaxGuardian wrote:
I had a thought. What if we're a member of a group and pretty much designated the one who handles applying for events and such, and the other members of your group don't have accounts on the website; can groupmates piggyback on, I guess, the leader's account and profile?
I feel like the answer's obvious and I've just been working too hard on my Ice Queen to think straight :lol:

If the event you're signing up for allows for a group (Masquerade, Hall Cosplay Contest, etc) then only the Group Leader needs to submit the application with their account.

There's a drop-down field where you can say how many people are in your group. You just need to enter their name and costume information along with yours. And if you're not sure, don't worry because you can come back tomorrow or whenever and edit your application to add/remove people, up until the deadline. Once the deadline hits, the Cosplay Event staff will lock events, so you can't apply or edit applications. If there's a problem at that point though, you can contact them on the Contact Page and they can help you.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:37 am
Obsessed Poster

Faceman wrote:
RapaxGuardian wrote:

If the event you're signing up for allows for a group (Masquerade, Hall Cosplay Contest, etc) then only the Group Leader needs to submit the application with their account.

There's a drop-down field where you can say how many people are in your group. You just need to enter their name and costume information along with yours. And if you're not sure, don't worry because you can come back tomorrow or whenever and edit your application to add/remove people, up until the deadline. Once the deadline hits, the Cosplay Event staff will lock events, so you can't apply or edit applications. If there's a problem at that point though, you can contact them on the Contact Page and they can help you.

I am loving this newfangled ability to edit applications! :D So, what if an event requires pictures; can I save my friends costumes to my own costume history and use them for future events? Or would we need to take a group picture of all the costumes?

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:41 am
AB Staff

RapaxGuardian wrote:
I am loving this newfangled ability to edit applications! :D So, what if an event requires pictures; can I save my friends costumes to my own costume history and use them for future events? Or would we need to take a group picture of all the costumes?

I'm going to wait for the Cosplay Games staffers to answer that question, as they're the ones actually working over the requirements. I know the Masq and Hall Cosplay don't require costume photos. But they may have another thought for the Cosplay Games. We're still working out some of the kinks in this process.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:46 am
Committed Poster

This new system is amazing, Chris. A lot better and efficient; especially for those of us applying for multiple things, or having done previous events for so many years. (I was actually starting to lose track of what things I've taken part in. Oops.)

Still working on some costumes, and updating others, but it's nice to be able to get started on the costume entries.

ARE YOU READY FOR 2014?

Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:09 am
Veteran Poster

If I had to change my email address, do I need to edit my masq. application or will it automatically change once I change it in my info?

And I am liking the system! I was defiantly confused at first, but now I think everything is easier.

Unknown atm

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:19 am
Dedicated Poster

I love this new system! It's amazingly easy to use and just do much better then doing each application separate and entering the same info over and over again. <3 <3 <3

Jack Frost (RotG)

~No regret for the confidence betrayed
No more hiding in shadow
Cause I won't wait for the debt to be repaid
Time has come for you~

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:32 am
Profile YIM
AB Staff

Renjigirl221 wrote:
If I had to change my email address, do I need to edit my masq. application or will it automatically change once I change it in my info?

Just change it in My Info and hit Submit at the bottom. It'll save your email address and you'll be all set.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:30 am
The Lone Mod

RapaxGuardian wrote:

We would prefer it if each person applying had their own application, with the exception being masquerade and hall cosplay.

"I will protect those who cannot protect themselves." ~Kaladin Stormblessed, The Way of Kings

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:32 am
Obsessed Poster

Kiarrens wrote:
RapaxGuardian wrote:

We would prefer it if each person applying had their own application, with the exception being masquerade and hall cosplay.

Would that mean my groupmates would have to fill in their own application, or would I just fill out multiple applications?
I'm so sorry for being so derpy about all this; I'm so used to other cons' applications :?

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:10 am
The Lone Mod

RapaxGuardian wrote:
Kiarrens wrote:
RapaxGuardian wrote:

Would that mean my groupmates would have to fill in their own application, or would I just fill out multiple applications?
I'm so sorry for being so derpy about all this; I'm so used to other cons' applications :?

That's ok; we were expecting a lot of questions. We obviously have some kinks in the system to work out too. :)

Please have your friends fill out their own applications. This is so we are certain to have their emergency contact information on-hand. When you list them as group members, it is just so we can look at it and know that we have the option of more than one character for that particular cosplay. Then we can look them up in the system to look at their costumes.

So, let's say you are applying to Chess as Naruto, and have a Sakura and Kakashi with you. All three of you will submit applications to the event, but you as the leader will list Sakura and Kakashi as group members.

Does that clear it up?

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:37 am
Obsessed Poster

Yes, very much so! Thank you! ^.^

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:25 pm
Experienced Poster

So in terms of photos for the Cosplay Games, what are staff looking for?
Concept or character illustration, WIP pictures, or is only a photo of the completed costume accepted?

This is my first time applying to an event, so sorry if this seems like a weird question.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:09 pm
The Lone Mod

OrikoMikuni89 wrote:
Concept or character illustration, WIP pictures, or is only a photo of the completed costume accepted?

This is my first time applying to an event, so sorry if this seems like a weird question.

We need pictures of you in your costume. Applications will not be closing for a few months,so you have plenty of time. :) Applications are not judged on a first-come first-served basis.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:20 pm
Experienced Poster

Kiarrens wrote:
OrikoMikuni89 wrote:

We need pictures of you in your costume. Applications will not be closing for a few months,so you have plenty of time. :) Applications are not judged on a first-come first-served basis.

Oh, excellent. And thank you for the speedy reply. :)

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:23 pm
Expert Poster

hey there..!

Newb question time: im just curious as to why the hall cosplay contest is +18? isnt it just costume judging?

Haha, thanks :3

ANIME BOSTON IS ON MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THIS YEAR. SO WE HAVE AN EXTRA DAY TO REST UP FROM A CON HANGOVER BEFORE GOING BACK TO SCHOOL. PRAISE THE CON GODS

Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:19 pm
Profile WWW
The Lone Mod

yuukihana wrote:
hey there..!

Newb question time: im just curious as to why the hall cosplay contest is +18? isnt it just costume judging?

You are completely right, good catch - that's my bad. Minors may participate in the Hall Cosplay Contest, they just need a permission form from their parents in order to do so. It should be fixed now!

Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:39 pm
Expert Poster

Kiarrens wrote:
yuukihana wrote:
hey there..!

You are completely right, good catch - that's my bad. Minors may participate in the Hall Cosplay Contest, they just need a permission form from their parents in order to do so. It should be fixed now!

REALLY? My savior! :D hahaha, i thought it was just slightly odd. thanks a ton kiarrens~

ANIME BOSTON IS ON MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THIS YEAR. SO WE HAVE AN EXTRA DAY TO REST UP FROM A CON HANGOVER BEFORE GOING BACK TO SCHOOL. PRAISE THE CON GODS

Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:56 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Poster

Great will have to do a in house photo shoot later tonight.

One Minor Question.

I will be putting up 2 diffrent Cosplays (Director Kurama-Elfen Lied, and Obviously Cave Johnson) Kurama Is basic in that he has a set costume (purple tie, yellow shirt jacket, ect)

My issue is that Cave Johnson I have several options, be it turtleneck and Brown jacket, Suit, or Aged (shirt, tie, vest, white hair spray) Should I post each option with a image? or will one image mentioning the variants be enough.

Rick the Adventure Sphere

Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:31 am
Expert Poster

NOlemons wrote:

Hahaha, exactly what i did with my lame photos. no one was home to take one for me xD so ill have to settle

Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:45 am
Profile WWW
Veteran Poster

yuukihana wrote:
hey there..!

I demand 18+ hall cosplay contest, just to see what shows up :P

For scientific reasons only.

Cave Johnson and we're done here.

Rick the Adventure Sphere

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:24 am
The Lone Mod

NOlemons wrote:

One Minor Question.

I will be putting up 2 diffrent Cosplays (Director Kurama-Elfen Lied, and Obviously Cave Johnson) Kurama Is basic in that he has a set costume (purple tie, yellow shirt jacket, ect)

My issue is that Cave Johnson I have several options, be it turtleneck and Brown jacket, Suit, or Aged (shirt, tie, vest, white hair spray) Should I post each option with a image? or will one image mentioning the variants be enough.

You can upload up to three pictures for each costume entry, so if you wanted to, you could take a picture of each variant. We would prefer that you do it that way instead of making a new costume entry for each variant, unless the variant is significantly different in appearance (normal Ed Elric vs. Conqueror of Shamballa Ed Elric, for instance. Not only are the costumes significantly different, his character is somewhat different as well).

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:08 am
Expert Poster

Another newb question: sorry, but i wanted to know if i can apply for 2 on the hall cosplay contest. my bro is going as a choji im currently making him, (do i need a photo?) but im also going as syaoran, will i have to make a seperate account for him? hes only 11, so i was wondering.

Thansk a ton guys.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:17 pm
Profile WWW
The Lone Mod

yuukihana wrote:
Another newb question: sorry, but i wanted to know if i can apply for 2 on the hall cosplay contest. my bro is going as a choji im currently making him, (do i need a photo?) but im also going as syaoran, will i have to make a seperate account for him? hes only 11, so i was wondering.

Thansk a ton guys.

If he is cosplaying from the same series as you, then you would be considered a group. When you go to the hall cosplay application, it will ask if you have any other people in your group. Select 1 from the drop down and put in his information and you will be all set. He does not need to fill out his own applicatio, and pictures are not required for Hall Cosplay application.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:47 pm
Expert Poster

Kiarrens wrote:
yuukihana wrote:

Thansk a ton guys.

If he is cosplaying from the same series as you, then you would be considered a group. When you go to the hall cosplay application, it will ask if you have any other people in your group. Select 1 from the drop down and put in his information and you will be all set. He does not need to fill out his own applicatio, and pictures are not required for Hall Cosplay application.

Ok, great on the no piks then, but hes not from the same group as me xD sadly.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:55 pm
Profile WWW
I'm new!

Hello!

Forgive me if this is posted in the wrong topic. I just registered for the forums the other day. It's my first time going to Anime Boston this year and I was thinking of signing up for the cosplay events.

None of my costumes in my planned lineup are of Japanese origin though. Would it still be alright if I applied for Cosplay Chess or Cosplay Death Match? :)

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:25 am
I'm new!

Re: The Cosplay HQ is now open!
Hello, this is my first time on the forums and entering the contest but also my 8th time going to Anime Boston. I've always wanted to try a Cosplay Contest. I think it might be fun. :D

So just I'm clear I can sign up on the day Anime Boston begins or is there a sign up thread I need to look at. I already registered beforehand as a fyi. I'm sorry if this question was answered already for someone else but I just wanted to make sure

Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:56 pm
Obsessed Poster

cuchinta wrote:
Hello!

Forgive me if this is posted in the wrong topic. I just registered for the forums the other day. It's my first time going to Anime Boston this year and I was thinking of signing up for the cosplay events.

None of my costumes in my planned lineup are of Japanese origin though. Would it still be alright if I applied for Cosplay Chess or Cosplay Death Match? :)

I don't want to answer for staff, but the rules for AB's events say characters from series not of Japanese origin are almost always not accepted. The coordinators sometimes make exceptions, but I can't say for sure when and what they'll make exceptions for!
I want to say there's no harm in trying, but don't get your hopes up!

Is that you as Mysterion in your avatar? I love South Park :D

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:03 pm
I'm new!

RapaxGuardian wrote:
cuchinta wrote:
Hello!

I don't want to answer for staff, but the rules for AB's events say characters from series not of Japanese origin are almost always not accepted. The coordinators sometimes make exceptions, but I can't say for sure when and what they'll make exceptions for!
I want to say there's no harm in trying, but don't get your hopes up!

Is that you as Mysterion in your avatar? I love South Park :D

Indeed it is~ He's actually one of the costumes I wanted to try sending an app for XD

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:10 pm
AB Staff

Suoh87 wrote:
Hello, this is my first time on the forums and entering the contest but also my 8th time going to Anime Boston. I've always wanted to try a Cosplay Contest. I think it might be fun. :D

So just I'm clear I can sign up on the day Anime Boston begins or is there a sign up thread I need to look at. I already registered beforehand as a fyi. I'm sorry if this question was answered already for someone else but I just wanted to make sure

To sign up for the Hall Cosplay Contest, which is what it sounds like you want to do, please read the rules here: http://animeboston.com/cosplay/hall_cosplay_contest/

Once you've done that, you will need to register here: http://animeboston.com/cosplayhq/applications/3

Good luck!

Merch Booth Babe- 2008-2014
All Con Volunteer- 2007

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:55 pm
The Lone Mod

cuchinta wrote:
Hello!

RapaxGuardian was correct. As a Japanese Anime convention, we try to keep our events centered around anime. Chess and Death Match do accept a few non-anime submissions a year, but it is usually only one or two. Your chances of being selected would be much higher if you had a costume from an anime/manga/video game - but there IS still a chance (albeit a small one) that you could be accepted with a non-anime costume.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:46 pm
Veteran Poster

I had a question regarding the Masquerade signups. I noticed in the rules that there was no date set for when Masquerade Applications would be closed and when we would receive an e-mail stating that we either were accepted or not.

I am just curious as for a guesstimate as to when Masquerade E-mails would go out. Thank you.

Friday:
Kazuhira Miller (Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker)
Spirit Albarn (Soul Eater)

Saturday:
Otacon (Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty)

Sunday:

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:22 am
AB Executive

Darkvyse88 wrote:
I had a question regarding the Masquerade signups. I noticed in the rules that there was no date set for when Masquerade Applications would be closed and when we would receive an e-mail stating that we either were accepted or not.

I am just curious as for a guesstimate as to when Masquerade E-mails would go out. Thank you.

Groups will need to submit their script and/or audio before I can approve a skit. But you should be hearing from me a the next few weeks.

We're still working on some of the back end functionality. When we get some of that working I will be able to review the applications.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:28 pm
Veteran Poster

lordofvt wrote:
Darkvyse88 wrote:

Groups will need to submit their script and/or audio before I can approve a skit. But you should be hearing from me a the next few weeks.

We're still working on some of the back end functionality. When we get some of that working I will be able to review the applications.

Thanks for the help! I already uploaded my script when I entered.

One more question. If there is an issue regarding opening the AB file or the Script when you review them, would you e-mail us if there is a problem?

Friday:
Kazuhira Miller (Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker)
Spirit Albarn (Soul Eater)

Saturday:

Sunday:

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:49 pm
I'm new!

I need a link to the cosplay chess plz!!!!

Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:43 pm
Getting the hang of this...

How do we know who's in the Masquerade? Cuz when I fill out the application, it doesn't say I need to type my email.

Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:12 pm
Profile WWW
AB Executive

Darkvyse88 wrote:

Thanks for the help! I already uploaded my script when I entered.

One more question. If there is an issue regarding opening the AB file or the Script when you review them, would you e-mail us if there is a problem?

If there is a problem, I will let you know.

Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:26 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next