Hall Cosplay Contest 2012

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
Faceman
AB Asst Director

Hall Cosplay Contest 2012

Postby Faceman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:05 am

Information for the 2012 Hall Cosplay Contest is now posted. Signups for the contest will start on February 1, 2012.

They will close April 1, 2012, or when all spaces are filled.

If you have questions about the Hall Cosplay Contest, post here. One of our Cosplay Programming staffers will answer it, as they are far better qualified than I am.
Chris O'Connell
Assistant Director of Public Relations 2016
Webmaster 2010-2016
President of New England Anime Society, Inc.

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!

Syagria
Obsessed Poster

Re: Hall Cosplay Contest 2012

Postby Syagria » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:16 am

I'm going to go out on a pretty sturdy limb here and assume that Avatar: The Last Airbender is NOT allowed in the Hall Costume Contest, correct?
Anime Boston Cosplays:
14: Death
13: Wonder Woman, Kitsune
12: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Wonder Woman
11: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Princess Eries Aston
10: Princess Eries Aston, Zatanna
09: Hermes (1st Place Intermediate), Lotis Master Alice Seno
08: Haruhara Haruko, Sumomo, Lotis Master Alice Seno
07: Haruhara Haruko, R. Dorothy Wayneright

loveshack.tardis
Experienced Poster

Postby loveshack.tardis » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:56 pm

I have a question: If we do not attend the masquerade, will there be any notification (like a phone call or e-mail) to the winners? Or should we just check in at Masquerade HQ Sunday morning to see if we won anything?
Anime Boston 2014
Elizabeth (BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea)
Elsa (Frozen)

Lynkos
Determined Poster

Postby Lynkos » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:11 am

Is anyone else having trouble signing up for the Hall Costume contest? I've been hitting refresh since midnight but it keeps telling me they aren't open. Masquerade opened up fine, but I can't get to the costume contest form. I'm afraid to give up and leave my computer because I don't want to miss out on getting a spot.
"Do you know what costume players are? Costume players like to dress up as Pokemon for fun!" - Pokemaniac, Rock Tunnel, Pokemon Red/Blue Versions

Faceman
AB Asst Director

Postby Faceman » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:06 am

Please try it again. You should be able to access the form at the bottom of the page now.
Chris O'Connell
Assistant Director of Public Relations 2016
Webmaster 2010-2016
President of New England Anime Society, Inc.

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!

Lynkos
Determined Poster

Postby Lynkos » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:18 am

Thank you very much. I saw that it was open and rushed to fill stuff out so I hope I didn't make a mistake. lol
"Do you know what costume players are? Costume players like to dress up as Pokemon for fun!" - Pokemaniac, Rock Tunnel, Pokemon Red/Blue Versions

Kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Postby Kiarrens » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:26 pm

loveshack.tardis wrote:I have a question: If we do not attend the masquerade, will there be any notification (like a phone call or e-mail) to the winners? Or should we just check in at Masquerade HQ Sunday morning to see if we won anything?

In the past, winners who are not present at the Masquerade to claim their prizes were indeed directed to stop by Cosplay HQ. Since I am not seeing anything in the rules to indicate otherwise, I would say that it is very good bet that this will be the case again this year.
Lyndsey Zusi
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 & 2016
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009-2014

"I will protect those who cannot protect themselves." ~Kaladin Stormblessed, The Way of Kings

Kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Postby Kiarrens » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:28 pm

Syagria wrote:I'm going to go out on a pretty sturdy limb here and assume that Avatar: The Last Airbender is NOT allowed in the Hall Costume Contest, correct?

From the rules:
Anime Boston is a Japanese Animation convention, so all costumes must be based on Anime, Manga, Japanese-origin video games, OR live action productions based on Anime or Manga (such as Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, NANA or Cutey Honey.) Generally, if the series and/or character originated anywhere else than Japan, it doesn't qualify. (Obviously, Japanese adaptations of foreign material are permitted-- such as Rose of Versailles, Gankutsuou, or RomeoXJuliet.)

I would contact Andrew directly with your question, however, as Avatar does fall into a bit of a grey area.
Lyndsey Zusi
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 & 2016
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009-2014

"I will protect those who cannot protect themselves." ~Kaladin Stormblessed, The Way of Kings

Gale
Veteran Poster

Postby Gale » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:56 pm

Kiarrens wrote:
loveshack.tardis wrote:I have a question: If we do not attend the masquerade, will there be any notification (like a phone call or e-mail) to the winners? Or should we just check in at Masquerade HQ Sunday morning to see if we won anything?

In the past, winners who are not present at the Masquerade to claim their prizes were indeed directed to stop by Cosplay HQ. Since I am not seeing anything in the rules to indicate otherwise, I would say that it is very good bet that this will be the case again this year.

I was in Hall the past 2 years and I'm pretty sure there's no notification while the con is still going on. I know for the karaoke contest one year I had a trophy mailed to me, though, so I imagine if you don't pick something up before the con is over they will send it to you. Easiest options would be either a) if you have a friend attending the masq have them tell you, or b) simply stop by Masq. HQ sometime Sunday.

Pathfinder

Postby Pathfinder » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:53 am

Kiarrens wrote:

When you apply (this year) there is a section to list your cell phone number. I will be notifying winners who do not attend the masquerade to come pick up their awards Sunday morning in Masquerade HQ. If you do not answer your cell phone, I will email you that night and you'll have until 11am Sunday morning to come by and get it. If you don't come get it I will try to call you again at the number you gave me. If you don't answer or come by (I do have to go home eventually) we will have to mail it to, you which we'd rather not do, so please come by and pick it up :)

If you don't list your cell phone number, I can not call you! A home phone number does not help you.
Last edited by Pathfinder on Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joshua Dauphinais, Anime Boston Hall Cosplay Coordinator 2009-2012.

My Law cosplay brings all the girls to the yard.

Pathfinder

Postby Pathfinder » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:55 am

Kiarrens wrote:
Syagria wrote:I'm going to go out on a pretty sturdy limb here and assume that Avatar: The Last Airbender is NOT allowed in the Hall Costume Contest, correct?

From the rules:
Anime Boston is a Japanese Animation convention, so all costumes must be based on Anime, Manga, Japanese-origin video games, OR live action productions based on Anime or Manga (such as Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, NANA or Cutey Honey.) Generally, if the series and/or character originated anywhere else than Japan, it doesn't qualify. (Obviously, Japanese adaptations of foreign material are permitted-- such as Rose of Versailles, Gankutsuou, or RomeoXJuliet.)

I would contact Andrew directly with your question, however, as Avatar does fall into a bit of a grey area.

I believe you may have emailed me about this question, but to answer if anyone else was wondering:

Avatar: The Last Air Bender does not hail from Japan and therefor does not qualify. :( Sorry!

I am also looking for exclusively Master level applications to apply at this time.
Joshua Dauphinais, Anime Boston Hall Cosplay Coordinator 2009-2012.

My Law cosplay brings all the girls to the yard.

Syagria
Obsessed Poster

Postby Syagria » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:03 am

Pathfinder wrote:
Kiarrens wrote:

From the rules:

I believe you may have emailed me about this question, but to answer if anyone else was wondering:

Avatar: The Last Air Bender does not hail from Japan and therefor does not qualify. :( Sorry!

I am also looking for exclusively Master level applications to apply at this time.

I actually didn't (confession: I'm lazy liek whoa), just operated under my original assumption that it would not be permitted. Good to have it confirmed, though, thanks!
Anime Boston Cosplays:
14: Death
13: Wonder Woman, Kitsune
12: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Wonder Woman
11: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Princess Eries Aston
10: Princess Eries Aston, Zatanna
09: Hermes (1st Place Intermediate), Lotis Master Alice Seno
08: Haruhara Haruko, Sumomo, Lotis Master Alice Seno
07: Haruhara Haruko, R. Dorothy Wayneright

Shizuma
Getting the hang of this...

Postby Shizuma » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:28 pm

I was just wondering when we'll be informed if we're on the competing list or waiting list for the hall cosplay contest? I got an email about a month ago saying my application was received and that he would be getting back to everyone as soon as he could to let people know what list they were on. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss an email or anything since it's been quite a while, I went thru my spam email just to make sure and didn't see anything there.

Edit: Nevermind, it was just sent out late last night :)

Misakochan
Determined Poster

Postby Misakochan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:52 pm

Are there still spots open in the master division or is everything full now?
AB 09- Young Link (Majora's Mask)
AB 10- Riza Hawkeye (FMA)
AB 11- Yoko Ritona (Gurren Lagann)
AB 12- Zelda (Skyward Sword)
AB 13- Zelda and Young Link
AB 14- Tetra, Link, Winry, Riza

loveshack.tardis
Experienced Poster

Postby loveshack.tardis » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:23 am

I was just wondering if we get an e-mail saying that the confirmation of our info (...that sentence is awkward, I'm sorry) is all set, or if now we just wait until the con and check in? I sent an e-mail confirming my info and wasn't sure if we were going to hear anything back, just double-checking!
Anime Boston 2014
Elizabeth (BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea)
Elsa (Frozen)

NOlemons
Veteran Poster

Postby NOlemons » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:56 am

Possibly completely off topic, but My wife and i were in the Contest last year and had your photo's done next door with the professional photographer, and I was wondering if you had to be in the hall costume contest to have your picture taken by him? We bought photographs from him last year and we will likely do so again

oh nearly forgot to mention. Not in contest this year
2015 conferms
Fuhrer King Bradley

Unlikely Cave Johnson

Gale
Veteran Poster

Postby Gale » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:10 am

I'm not staff, but if the photobooth is run the same as in the past yes, you can walk in and get photos of any number of costumes (as long as they have time to take you) any time the photobooth is open.

Shizuma
Getting the hang of this...

Postby Shizuma » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:00 am

Just want to say that it would be nice if an additional time later in the day Friday was offered as the current times are bad considering one of the cosplay games is in the same time period and plenty of people only have hotel rooms for Friday & sat night, not Thursday. The only options offered Friday being 10am-noon and 1pm-2pm, the Cosplay deathmatch starts at 12:30, participants have to be there at 11:30, i'm in both the deathmatch and the hall cosplay contest, with different cosplays, so I need to rush to get my picture for the hall cosplay contest at 10 and change cosplays for the deathmatch at 11:30 and I don't have my hotel room till the hotel's check in at 3pm, I would have excepted the cosplay events to not be so close together/overlap like this since there aren't that many cosplay participating events.

drgnladysupreme
Committed Poster

Postby drgnladysupreme » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:47 am

I'm actually wondering/hoping for the same thing, as my situation's almost exactly the same as Shizuma's. The only difference being the placing on our list. Maybe those that ended up in the Cosplay Death match could have a later photoshoot time or a chance to get photos taken on Saturday as well.

As I'm changing complexions and genders with the costumes, I probably won't even get into the costume for the Hall cosplay contest and back to the area until 3 at least, and gong into the Death Match costume would take longer than that so trying to get there earlier seems... kinda not possible too.
J. Love Tatum
You could say 2015 was a MECHA BLAST
  • Announcer Rise (Persona 4 Arena) - Saturday
  • Nurse Joy (Pokemon) - Friday
  • Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends) - Sunday
  • Mako Mankanshoku (Kill la Kill) - Thursday

AkaneSaotome
Expert Poster

Postby AkaneSaotome » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:30 am

If we won an award, will we be contacted? I was unable to make it to the masquerade, and no one at the info desk knew anything about the winners on Sunday. I just found out I won by watching a youtube video from someone. thanks

hop-is-my-hero
Veteran Poster

Postby hop-is-my-hero » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:09 pm

I was so busy in the Artist Alley on Sunday that I never had a chance to run down to Masquerade Ops and see who won. Would it be possible to post a listing (and pics?) Of the winners and runners up? I would love to see them.
"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way bricks don't" ~ Douglas Adams

Return to “Masquerade / Cosplay”