View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Hall Cosplay Contest 2012 
AB Staff

Post Hall Cosplay Contest 2012
Information for the 2012 Hall Cosplay Contest is now posted. Signups for the contest will start on February 1, 2012.

They will close April 1, 2012, or when all spaces are filled.

If you have questions about the Hall Cosplay Contest, post here. One of our Cosplay Programming staffers will answer it, as they are far better qualified than I am.

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:05 am
Obsessed Poster

Post Re: Hall Cosplay Contest 2012
I'm going to go out on a pretty sturdy limb here and assume that Avatar: The Last Airbender is NOT allowed in the Hall Costume Contest, correct?

10: Princess Eries Aston, Zatanna
09: Hermes (1st Place Intermediate), Lotis Master Alice Seno
08: Haruhara Haruko, Sumomo, Lotis Master Alice Seno
07: Haruhara Haruko, R. Dorothy Wayneright

Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:16 am
Experienced Poster

I have a question: If we do not attend the masquerade, will there be any notification (like a phone call or e-mail) to the winners? Or should we just check in at Masquerade HQ Sunday morning to see if we won anything?

Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:56 pm
Determined Poster

Is anyone else having trouble signing up for the Hall Costume contest? I've been hitting refresh since midnight but it keeps telling me they aren't open. Masquerade opened up fine, but I can't get to the costume contest form. I'm afraid to give up and leave my computer because I don't want to miss out on getting a spot.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:11 am
AB Staff

Please try it again. You should be able to access the form at the bottom of the page now.

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!

Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:06 am
Determined Poster

Thank you very much. I saw that it was open and rushed to fill stuff out so I hope I didn't make a mistake. lol

Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:18 am
The Lone Mod

loveshack.tardis wrote:
I have a question: If we do not attend the masquerade, will there be any notification (like a phone call or e-mail) to the winners? Or should we just check in at Masquerade HQ Sunday morning to see if we won anything?

In the past, winners who are not present at the Masquerade to claim their prizes were indeed directed to stop by Cosplay HQ. Since I am not seeing anything in the rules to indicate otherwise, I would say that it is very good bet that this will be the case again this year.

"I will protect those who cannot protect themselves." ~Kaladin Stormblessed, The Way of Kings

Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:26 pm
The Lone Mod

Syagria wrote:
I'm going to go out on a pretty sturdy limb here and assume that Avatar: The Last Airbender is NOT allowed in the Hall Costume Contest, correct?

From the rules:
Quote:
Anime Boston is a Japanese Animation convention, so all costumes must be based on Anime, Manga, Japanese-origin video games, OR live action productions based on Anime or Manga (such as Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, NANA or Cutey Honey.) Generally, if the series and/or character originated anywhere else than Japan, it doesn't qualify. (Obviously, Japanese adaptations of foreign material are permitted-- such as Rose of Versailles, Gankutsuou, or RomeoXJuliet.)

I would contact Andrew directly with your question, however, as Avatar does fall into a bit of a grey area.

"I will protect those who cannot protect themselves." ~Kaladin Stormblessed, The Way of Kings

Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:28 pm
Veteran Poster

Kiarrens wrote:
loveshack.tardis wrote:

In the past, winners who are not present at the Masquerade to claim their prizes were indeed directed to stop by Cosplay HQ. Since I am not seeing anything in the rules to indicate otherwise, I would say that it is very good bet that this will be the case again this year.

I was in Hall the past 2 years and I'm pretty sure there's no notification while the con is still going on. I know for the karaoke contest one year I had a trophy mailed to me, though, so I imagine if you don't pick something up before the con is over they will send it to you. Easiest options would be either a) if you have a friend attending the masq have them tell you, or b) simply stop by Masq. HQ sometime Sunday.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:56 pm

Kiarrens wrote:
loveshack.tardis wrote:

When you apply (this year) there is a section to list your cell phone number. I will be notifying winners who do not attend the masquerade to come pick up their awards Sunday morning in Masquerade HQ. If you do not answer your cell phone, I will email you that night and you'll have until 11am Sunday morning to come by and get it. If you don't come get it I will try to call you again at the number you gave me. If you don't answer or come by (I do have to go home eventually) we will have to mail it to, you which we'd rather not do, so please come by and pick it up :)

If you don't list your cell phone number, I can not call you! A home phone number does not help you.

My Law cosplay brings all the girls to the yard.

Last edited by Pathfinder on Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:53 am
Profile WWW

Kiarrens wrote:
Syagria wrote:

From the rules:
Quote:
Anime Boston is a Japanese Animation convention, so all costumes must be based on Anime, Manga, Japanese-origin video games, OR live action productions based on Anime or Manga (such as Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, NANA or Cutey Honey.) Generally, if the series and/or character originated anywhere else than Japan, it doesn't qualify. (Obviously, Japanese adaptations of foreign material are permitted-- such as Rose of Versailles, Gankutsuou, or RomeoXJuliet.)

I would contact Andrew directly with your question, however, as Avatar does fall into a bit of a grey area.

I believe you may have emailed me about this question, but to answer if anyone else was wondering:

Avatar: The Last Air Bender does not hail from Japan and therefor does not qualify. :( Sorry!

I am also looking for exclusively Master level applications to apply at this time.

My Law cosplay brings all the girls to the yard.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:55 am
Profile WWW
Obsessed Poster

Pathfinder wrote:
Kiarrens wrote:
Syagria wrote:

From the rules:
Quote:

I believe you may have emailed me about this question, but to answer if anyone else was wondering:

Avatar: The Last Air Bender does not hail from Japan and therefor does not qualify. :( Sorry!

I am also looking for exclusively Master level applications to apply at this time.

I actually didn't (confession: I'm lazy liek whoa), just operated under my original assumption that it would not be permitted. Good to have it confirmed, though, thanks!

10: Princess Eries Aston, Zatanna
09: Hermes (1st Place Intermediate), Lotis Master Alice Seno
08: Haruhara Haruko, Sumomo, Lotis Master Alice Seno
07: Haruhara Haruko, R. Dorothy Wayneright

Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:03 am
Getting the hang of this...

I was just wondering when we'll be informed if we're on the competing list or waiting list for the hall cosplay contest? I got an email about a month ago saying my application was received and that he would be getting back to everyone as soon as he could to let people know what list they were on. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss an email or anything since it's been quite a while, I went thru my spam email just to make sure and didn't see anything there.

Edit: Nevermind, it was just sent out late last night :)

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:28 pm
Profile WWW
Determined Poster

Are there still spots open in the master division or is everything full now?

AB 12- Zelda (Skyward Sword)
AB 13- Zelda and Young Link
AB 14- Tetra, Link, Winry, Riza

Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:52 pm
Profile WWW
Experienced Poster

I was just wondering if we get an e-mail saying that the confirmation of our info (...that sentence is awkward, I'm sorry) is all set, or if now we just wait until the con and check in? I sent an e-mail confirming my info and wasn't sure if we were going to hear anything back, just double-checking!

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:23 am
Veteran Poster

Possibly completely off topic, but My wife and i were in the Contest last year and had your photo's done next door with the professional photographer, and I was wondering if you had to be in the hall costume contest to have your picture taken by him? We bought photographs from him last year and we will likely do so again

oh nearly forgot to mention. Not in contest this year

Rick the Adventure Sphere

Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:56 am
Veteran Poster

I'm not staff, but if the photobooth is run the same as in the past yes, you can walk in and get photos of any number of costumes (as long as they have time to take you) any time the photobooth is open.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:10 am
Getting the hang of this...

Just want to say that it would be nice if an additional time later in the day Friday was offered as the current times are bad considering one of the cosplay games is in the same time period and plenty of people only have hotel rooms for Friday & sat night, not Thursday. The only options offered Friday being 10am-noon and 1pm-2pm, the Cosplay deathmatch starts at 12:30, participants have to be there at 11:30, i'm in both the deathmatch and the hall cosplay contest, with different cosplays, so I need to rush to get my picture for the hall cosplay contest at 10 and change cosplays for the deathmatch at 11:30 and I don't have my hotel room till the hotel's check in at 3pm, I would have excepted the cosplay events to not be so close together/overlap like this since there aren't that many cosplay participating events.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:00 am
Profile WWW
Committed Poster

I'm actually wondering/hoping for the same thing, as my situation's almost exactly the same as Shizuma's. The only difference being the placing on our list. Maybe those that ended up in the Cosplay Death match could have a later photoshoot time or a chance to get photos taken on Saturday as well.

As I'm changing complexions and genders with the costumes, I probably won't even get into the costume for the Hall cosplay contest and back to the area until 3 at least, and gong into the Death Match costume would take longer than that so trying to get there earlier seems... kinda not possible too.

ARE YOU READY FOR 2014?

Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:47 am
Expert Poster

If we won an award, will we be contacted? I was unable to make it to the masquerade, and no one at the info desk knew anything about the winners on Sunday. I just found out I won by watching a youtube video from someone. thanks

Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:30 am
Veteran Poster

I was so busy in the Artist Alley on Sunday that I never had a chance to run down to Masquerade Ops and see who won. Would it be possible to post a listing (and pics?) Of the winners and runners up? I would love to see them.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]