Anyone else get emotional when they get through security and get to run through the Hynes?

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
Fangreaper
Expert Poster

Anyone else get emotional when they get through security and get to run through the Hynes?

Post by Fangreaper »

Every year since '09 I've gone to AB and every year I get all emotional and teary eyed coz I feel like I'm home. Like I'm amongst people like me. I also cry at closing ceremonies too anyone else?
http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/ ... 00-331.png

A ring, a ring o' roses,
A pocket full o’posies-
Atishoo atishoo we all fall down
Mamacass
Veteran Poster

Re: Anyone else get emotional when they get through security and get to run through the Hynes?

Post by Mamacass »

Yes!!!
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Re: Anyone else get emotional when they get through security and get to run through the Hynes?

Post by Master of NERV »

Not to that extent...but even after 15 ABs I still get the feeling of putting on a well-worn but warm, comfy blanket. AB is one of the few places that, despite my age, I still feel I belong.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Fangreaper
Expert Poster

Post by Fangreaper »

Master of NERV wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:55 pm Not to that extent...but even after 15 ABs I still get the feeling of putting on a well-worn but warm, comfy blanket. AB is one of the few places that, despite my age, I still feel I belong.
I feel the same its just a warm welcoming feeling like I'm home

A ring, a ring o' roses,
A pocket full o’posies-
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

Yes! It's exciting even leading up to the entrance to the con. Well you know, when it's not so overcrowded.
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

For me it is coming into the building thursday morning. There is a group of us from tech that are there first thing, we get breakfast then head in. The building is quiet, some work has been done, but its a clean fresh slate to build from.

That is when i get emotional.
Michael Lee
Director of Technical Operations
Fangreaper
Expert Poster

Post by Fangreaper »

Aidan2 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:05 am For me it is coming into the building thursday morning. There is a group of us from tech that are there first thing, we get breakfast then head in. The building is quiet, some work has been done, but its a clean fresh slate to build from.

That is when i get emotional.
I can't like a forum post like FB so I give you a like

A ring, a ring o' roses,
A pocket full o’posies-
ConDadJeff
Getting the hang of this...

Post by ConDadJeff »

Threads like these are always a comfort to read about. I've only been to AB for a few years with friends, but this is the first year I've decided to take the initiative and come here on my own with just my daughter. I hope to share this event with her as something of a tradition and to look forward to as a father-daughter thing for years to come.

I can't wait to see my daughter runs through the convention hall all excited and giddy :D .
Anime Boston 2012, 2014, 2015.
Dealer's Room romper :mrgreen:.
MandaTifa
AB Staff

Post by MandaTifa »

*killjoy* Please no actual running. ;)

That said, I love coming back, and the thrill of walking past that triangle banner for the first time is one of my favorite moments. Reuniting with my Con Family is my favorite part of any convention, but it's extra special at AB. This is gonna be a GREAT year! :mrgreen:
Amanda Graves
Cosplay Guest Coordinator 2024
Masquerade Assistant Coordinator 2023
Masquerade Staff 2012 - 2022
Attendee 2010-2011
Bakuretsu Con Staff 2009-2016, 2018 - 2019

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

"Be strong, Red XIII."
dstnyskr
Expert Poster

Post by dstnyskr »

MandaTifa wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:31 am *killjoy* Please no actual running. ;)

That said, I love coming back, and the thrill of walking past that triangle banner for the first time is one of my favorite moments. Reuniting with my Con Family is my favorite part of any convention, but it's extra special at AB. This is gonna be a GREAT year! :mrgreen:
Oh YEAH! The triangle banner in prudential definitely gives me the goose bumps (in a good way). It's like confirmation like, 'hey! we made it!', back with the family again!', 'ITS TIME!'.

And then you hear someone shout "MARCOOOOOOO" and you mutter to yourself 'Damn it....another year of this (marco/polo)' :lol:
Let destiny decide.
~AB veteran 2006-2017(missed '15)~
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

POLOOOOO!
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

This is the third year and second in a row the Con falls on my birthday (March 30) so...yeah.

I always pre-register Thursday and each year, the lines move faster and faster (LOL!). This will also be the fourth year in a row I buy an Anime Boston T-Shirt (WOOT!).
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Victablook
Expert Poster

Post by Victablook »

definitely. after going through the security checks and spilling into the crowd of cosplayers and con-goers... i start to tear up because it's one of the biggest things i look forward to all year. this year, i have a boyfriend to bring with me for the very first time. this will be his first ever convention, and i can't wait to see how his reaction will play out taking everything in.
2024:
tails (sonic)
ryuk (death note)
soulshipping
Expert Poster

Post by soulshipping »

For me it's more of a "FINALLY I can feel comfortable being the nerd I am for a solid day or more" emotion, because I haven't been into the convention scene as long nor as deep as most of you (my first attendance was 2012, but I only went on Saturday up until 2015).
Ezra - Your resident non-binary con-goer! She/they pronouns.
H. Guderian
Obsessed Poster

Post by H. Guderian »

I'm a trainwreck. I'm usually already fearing it is ending soon.

I've been at the con, and looking forward to the con next year and maybe something grand will happen then. I don't live in the moment.
abicky
Experienced Poster

Post by abicky »

Yes, absolutely! I'm a local, so any time I go to the Pru, I'm thinking, "X days until AB...!" I am so excited for this year's con. Especially after all this snow (blech!), AB is going to be such a joyful experience.
Anime Boston 2019
Undecided, but possibly Voltron or Ace Attorney

Previous Cosplay Favorites
Akiho Senomiya (Robotics;Notes), Eve (No.6), Chie Satonaka (Persona 4), Crona (Soul Eater), Apollo Justice (Ace Attorney)
karriachinoryu
Veteran Poster

Post by karriachinoryu »

Oh my goodness I thought there weren't many other people who feel as deeply about it as I do! I get teary eyed when I come to pick up my badge. I almost cry when I first come in, I gotta take a deep breath to regain some composure, haha. AB's been like that for me for years, nothing like it!
PatrickD
AB Staff

Post by PatrickD »

Walking back into the Hynes (particularly after moving off to California) is like a nice warm hug.
...and walking out for the last time on Sunday has almost always been sad for me. (2005 was an exception because I was so busy trying to track people down in the chaos.)
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

I love going to AB it’s like walking into a Amine. It has a warm and friendly feeling. I wish the outside world was like AB. I’m always sad when it ends.
Badge name THX1139 not cosplaying.