Cosplay Feedback! (Masq, games, repair, Gatherings room)

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
Kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Cosplay Feedback! (Masq, games, repair, Gatherings room)

Post by Kiarrens » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:49 pm

Got constructive criticism for us this year, or maybe some compliments? (We do love to know what we did right as well as wrong!) Post them here for the following departments:

Masquerade & the Arda Wigs Contest

Cosplay Games (Death Match, Afterdark Dating Game, Couples Game, Shenanigans, Lip Sync Battle, and Chess)

Cosplay Repair Room (room 105)

Cosplay Gatherings Room

Anime Boston had a dedicated Cosplay Photoshoot/Gathering Room in the Fenway Ballroom of the Hilton this year. If you visited the room, or organized something for it, then we would love to hear your thoughts. This was the first year Anime Boston has had a room dedicated for group photos, so we'd love to hear how it went and how we can improve for next year.
Lyndsey Zusi
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2017
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009-2014

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

FiretoIce
Expert Poster

Re: Masquerade & Arda Wigs Contest Feedback!

Post by FiretoIce » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:22 am

Hello!
This was a great introduction to the masquerade world. I had a lot of fun!
My only criticisms would be:
1) trying to find out where contestants were supposed to line up. I was sent all over the convention center, every staffer I asked gave me a different answer. Staff at the table across from the registration room outside of the Hynes even said I was supposed to go to the Hilton hotel across the street. I know the masquerade badge said to line up outside the auditorium, but I didn't know where that was or how to find it. So, that was stressful.
2) line up to get in the room and seated took forever, I know there were a lot of contestants, but I was in the large costume group and we were the last to be seated and getting stools took a very long time. Thank you for having the water out already at that time. it was so hot in that room and in my armor, I was literally steaming, condensation was collection in my light.

Great things:
1) The actual masquerade staff were amazing! The second I needed something, they were there. During the masquerade, they were constantly circling with water and food.
2) Line up to go on stage was very orderly and fast. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. i had a costume problem, and some one immediately helped my fix it. They knew me and my costumes problems, I had requested someone help me up and down the stairs because of my mask and shoe. I just said my number and they knew and had people ready.
3) the event in general. It was so much fun and exciting! For my first masquerade it was great!

Thank you staff! You guys are amazing!
2017 AB-
San
Boros
Ashiya

bulletdancer
Getting the hang of this...

Post by bulletdancer » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:00 pm

I'll go bad to good because I really don't have much bad about it this year

con - while i don't know how much of this comes as fault of your own, there seemed to be a lack of preparedness for the larger costumes this year. Last year seemed to be much more under control and people generally knew where they needed to be and had seats ready when they wanted them. Part of this is likely from the concert, but the lack of stools ready backstage or piled behind the water cooler seems like it could be fixed even if there is a concert before the masq again next year. (did the Arda contest cause more conjestion? last year the regular seating was pretty spacious)

I wish there was some way to better watch the other walk on members, because i want to see what everybody did, and how they portray that character on stage for their N seconds of fame. But until I go on, I at least find it difficult to enjoy everyone else's work.

now for the good things

First - staff i love you. I lack words for how much you folks made my weekend better, from helping me with lost cosplay pieces to coming up with phentabuzing words to describe us all (there's a new word for you roadie :P). I also appreciate the ability to really interact with you all, it's fun and games while really getting stuff done. Please keep being as awesome as you were this year

I personally liked the masq time this year, because it was the big hit before i could just go crash into a bed.

The show felt like it ran fairly smoothly once it got going, and the variety/quality of the skits was great.

So really, just another very enjoyable year being part of the Masquerade.

Anime Boston 2009 - Hercule: Dragonball Z
Anime Boston 2010 - Waka: Okami
Anime Boston 2012 - FoMar: Phantasy Star Online
Anime Boston 2013 - Twilight Suzuka: Outlaw Star
Anime Boston 2015 - Princess Eiricka, Bride version: Fire Emblem Awakening
Anime Boston 2016 - Syaoran Li: Card Captor Sakura and Victorious Morgana: League of Legends
Anime Boston 2017 - Light Speed Suzuka: Angelic Layer

Kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by Kiarrens » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:03 am

To address the seating issues and general chaos of it: yes, this was due to the concert. We've gotten accustomed to having hours in which we can prepare and set up backstage, and not having that time this year really messed us up. I'm sorry for the inconvenience it caused, especially for those with big costumes who were discomforted. We will endeavor to do better next year, concert or not.
Lyndsey Zusi

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

Selestyl
Veteran Poster

Re: Cosplay Games Feedback Thread! (Death Match, Chess, Lip Sync Battle, etc)

Post by Selestyl » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:39 am

Chess was AMAZING this year!! I felt so privileged to have a chance to help write the battle royale - as I said before, thanks for trusting us to do so :)

My only constructive feedback would be that I wish we had more time to practice the ending. I think we got our wires a bit crossed and didn't know exactly what we were doing, but the audience liked it anyways, so it's just a tiny suggestion :)

I loved having all that time to practice beforehand! And a room all for us! It was great!! Crossing over to the Hilton in the rain blew, but that's not AB's fault - that's New England's, lol.

Thanks for a great year, and I can't wait for next year!!
2017 Cosplays:
Ema Skye - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice (partnered with husband, playing Datz Are'bal) - 100% complete!
Piccolo - Dragonball Z - 100% complete!!
Fem!Ignis - Final Fantasy XV - 100% complete!

sohopefully
AB Staff

Re: Cosplay Games Feedback Thread! (Death Match, Chess, Lip Sync Battle, etc)

Post by sohopefully » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:40 pm

Selestyl wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:39 am
Chess was AMAZING this year!! I felt so privileged to have a chance to help write the battle royale - as I said before, thanks for trusting us to do so :)

My only constructive feedback would be that I wish we had more time to practice the ending. I think we got our wires a bit crossed and didn't know exactly what we were doing, but the audience liked it anyways, so it's just a tiny suggestion :)

I loved having all that time to practice beforehand! And a room all for us! It was great!! Crossing over to the Hilton in the rain blew, but that's not AB's fault - that's New England's, lol.

Thanks for a great year, and I can't wait for next year!!
Thank you for these fantastic points!

So happy to hear that you liked the room. We will be trying to get one of a similar size, if not that one, moving forward.

Also, I believe the coordinator feels strongly about having help from participants in how things play out, so we hope that will help convince you to apply in the future!

We will definitely take the point about the ending to heart. Controlled chaos is nice, but confusion is not. More of the former, less of the latter? We hear you!

Thank you for helping to make our games successful this year, and we hope to see you at Anime Boston 2018!
Hope Middleton
Cosplay Games Co-Coordinator - 2017
Masquerade Staff - 2016
Chibi Zone Coordinator - 2015

Oos
Experienced Poster

Re: Cosplay Feedback! (Masq, games, repair, Gatherings room)

Post by Oos » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:57 pm

I would love for there to be a contest that you didn't have to make it yourself to enter. I do absolutely love the idea of something to reward people who handmake everything, wearing a costume and wearing it well (wig, makeup and all) is also something to be rewarded. I would have loved to enter the Arda competition, but due to physical limitations I cannot make my own cosplays, so a separate contest for that would have been so much fun to enter. I feel like I missed out just because I can't sew.
AB '17 roster!

Friday: Yamabushi Kunihiro (Touken Ranbu)
Saturday: Otegine (Touken Ranbu)
Sunday: Houchou Toushirou (Touken Ranbu), Todomatsu (Osomatsu-san)

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:50 pm

Oos wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:57 pm
I would love for there to be a contest that you didn't have to make it yourself to enter. I do absolutely love the idea of something to reward people who handmake everything, wearing a costume and wearing it well (wig, makeup and all) is also something to be rewarded. I would have loved to enter the Arda competition, but due to physical limitations I cannot make my own cosplays, so a separate contest for that would have been so much fun to enter. I feel like I missed out just because I can't sew.
Outside of the Masquerade itself, none of the Cosplay Games events (Death Match, After Dark Dating Game, Chess, etc.) require you to make your own cosplay. We just require you to have a cosplay that meets the requirement of being from Japanese animation media.
David Burke
Cosplay Games Staff 2014-2017
Cosplay Death Match Coordinator

fallengone
I'm new!

Post by fallengone » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:51 pm

It was fun. Somethings where sorta weird like having three of one charater in comps I know they can be popular but three it was like crazy.
Good i had fun and met new fiends i got to compete and want to do it again

ladyinred788
I'm new!

Post by ladyinred788 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:14 pm

Our group was new, and nervous! But we were accepted immediately into the masquerade family not only by the staff, but the other participants, too. We felt so welcome and relieved of a ton of pressure. Everyone there was so willing and eager to help with whatever we needed; even just with nerves of performing. We had constant reassurance, and everyone was kind. The staff was organized and ready for anything. They even had straws for the water they passed out. They provided snacks and made sure everyone had eaten. In costume. Because they are awesome. Great show, guys! :D

Zeldaandfairies
I'm new!

Post by Zeldaandfairies » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:41 pm

It was an honor getting to be a part of the Arda Contest and something I would like to do again in the future, but I have to be honest. Waiting through the AMV's was a long time for someone like me who needs to catch a train home. The whole show goes on a bit too long between skits and I had to rush to get home and didn't get to have dinner later. I know some people can plan accordingly but for people like me it's a bit impossible.

I was also disappointed when we were all asked to show up for the awards and we watched as the winners were lined up in front of us instead of having us announced genuinely. It took all the fun out of the suspense. If this could be done differently in the future I think it would be more enjoyable.

Tldr: Please make the moments between skits faster to accommodate for those who need to leave early and please announce the winners and not line them up first.

MandaTifa
AB Staff

Post by MandaTifa » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:04 pm

Zeldaandfairies wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:41 pm

I was also disappointed when we were all asked to show up for the awards and we watched as the winners were lined up in front of us instead of having us announced genuinely. It took all the fun out of the suspense. If this could be done differently in the future I think it would be more enjoyable.

Tldr: Please make the moments between skits faster to accommodate for those who need to leave early and please announce the winners and not line them up first.
While lining the winners up before announcing them has its pros and cons, it overall helps with the flow of the show. Having them lined up and ready to walk on stage to accept their awards keeps things moving more seamlessly as well as looks cleaner to the audience. With a show this size, it's difficult to put on the "genuine reaction" announcement and still come across as a clean performance to the audience. I hope that this makes sense. :)
Amanda Graves
Masquerade Staff 2012 - 2017
Attendee 2010-2011
Bakuretsu Con Staff 2009-2016

"Regardless of warnings the future doesn't scare me at all. Nothing's like before."

Rosabelle3344
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Rosabelle3344 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:48 pm

I liked the gathering room a lot! We used it for a J-Fashion/ Lolita meet up on Saturday. I loved how relaxed and quiet it was - it was nice to get away from the craziness across the street to meet up with some friends. It would be great if the schedule could be posted somewhere more public as well as by the room. We publicized the meet through our own channels, but maybe an additional schedule posted near/outside registration or by the info desk?

Kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by Kiarrens » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:33 am

fallengone wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:51 pm
It was fun. Somethings where sorta weird like having three of one charater in comps I know they can be popular but three it was like crazy.
Good i had fun and met new fiends i got to compete and want to do it again
Hello! Can you please clarify what you mean by "comps"? If you meant the Masquerade/Arda COMPetitions, our signups are on a first-come, first-serve basis for the Craftsmanship portion. So how many of certain characters we have really depends on who signs up!
MandaTifa wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:04 pm
Zeldaandfairies wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:41 pm

While lining the winners up before announcing them has its pros and cons, it overall helps with the flow of the show. Having them lined up and ready to walk on stage to accept their awards keeps things moving more seamlessly as well as looks cleaner to the audience. With a show this size, it's difficult to put on the "genuine reaction" announcement and still come across as a clean performance to the audience. I hope that this makes sense. :)
To add onto Manda's post here, we USED to do it this way in the past, and I agree that it's more spontaneous and fun for the participants. I wish we could continue to do it that way! But it added about a half an hour onto the awards ceremony as people tried to get out of their seats carefully without banging into anyone else (especially those in large costumes), and some people needed to get back into costumes that they'd partially taken off, and... you get the idea. I really, really wish we could keep doing it the way you suggest, but we're already always so crunched for time that this is the only way to be able to get everybody up on-stage to accept their award. The only other feasible option is to call out everyone's names, show their photo, and give them their prizes backstage, which I'd rather not do. I like for you guys to be able to walk on-stage to accept your prizes!
Lyndsey Zusi

Cinnamon Chai
Expert Poster

Post by Cinnamon Chai » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:43 am

This is late, but the gathering room was AMAZING. Hands down the best place I've ever held a gathering. I'm usually winded and worn out from shouting, but I had a ton of cosplayers in the room and everyone could hear me when I was speaking barely above my usual (tiny) speaking voice. Please bring this back in the future! The only thing that wasn't ideal was going outside in Saturday's terrible weather, but that's out of everyone's hands, and I'd rather deal with rain/cold than worry about getting herded out of other gathering spaces around the con center.
AB 2017 plans
Terra Branford - Final Fantasy VI
Pent & Louise - Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword
???

Varmit33
I'm new!

Post by Varmit33 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:14 pm

this was my first time with the judging and fashion show had a super time. My ? is when I went to view the pictures they took after judging I was told they were having technical problem and that they would be made available to down load but have not seen anything about it. other then that great job already working on next years costom. Keep smileing

Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:51 pm

it seemed there were a lot of skits and none of them had to do with the theme.....

also line: I showed them my disabled badge, and they said (orange shirt) said i had to stay in the line and wait until it started moving....i think this has been a constant problem from what i understand i mean i only went to the main events, but got into the concert pretty ok? I really don't understand it but i got it mainly because I can't stand in long lines for a long period of time (i hate people....i really do retail does that to you) so i didn't argue, but i mean the line moved quite quickly despite that.... but seriously i mean it was fine because we had enough seats for the people in my party but still >.>;

also sometimes i have a problem with my ankle

pros: the sound was very crisp and clear i think there might have been a problem with the mics/sounds once....everyone seemed to know what to do on stage, and the hosts were great (As usual) not much else i could say that's pro but it was quite enjoyable, in the long run once i got out of the line and inside:

Note: If you have a room floor and able to sit where ever you want, don't automaticly take the acceptability seating if you can help it, if your with people talk about where your going to sit ahead of time...like in the back or the very front, it didn't seem to be very regulated so i could have sat anywhere i wanted once i got inside >.>;
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective