Staying @ Sheraton & getting around

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
k1koala
Getting the hang of this...

Staying @ Sheraton & getting around

Post by k1koala »

this is the first year we are staying at the Sheraton. Can anyone give me any tips about how to get in and out? For example, the best way to get back and forth to the room to eat and then back to the con. Is it too much work with lines, etc to go back to the room and then back to the Hynes?? The worse was waiting in line outside to get back in last year as I remember, although I don't remember why or how we ended up doing that....
Thanks for any help before we get there.
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Re: Staying @ Sheraton & getting around

Post by Nemra »

there are four entrances to get into the Hynes.

1) Prudential entrance: Everyone loves to go through the prudential center entrance because the doors are the closest to all the hotels (and it's "indoors") so avoid that one. You'll end up waiting a long time to get in and you'll be standing outside because the Pru doesn't allow lines to happen inside their building.

2) If the Artist Alley is open, you can use that entrance/exit (located in the back of the Alley... it'll be hard to miss this year) to remain indoors and enter the con that way but the hallway in the hotel is pretty narrow and is prone to congestion (like it did last year but we did take measures to prevent that by increasing security stations there this year).

3) The other two entrances (boylston st and dalton st) are outdoors on the other side of the building but the wait time was clocked at 15 min at peak time last year as opposed to the 1hr 45 min of the prudential entrance.

Basically what I'm getting at is, suffer the extra 5 min walk to those entrances and wait a whole lot less to get in and out.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

MandaTifa
AB Staff

Post by MandaTifa »

If you're worried about wait times, you'll want to brace yourself for waiting for Sheraton elevators. :?
Amanda Graves
Cosplay Guest Coordinator 2024
Masquerade Assistant Coordinator 2023
Masquerade Staff 2012 - 2022
Attendee 2010-2011
Bakuretsu Con Staff 2009-2016, 2018 - 2019

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

"Be strong, Red XIII."
k1koala
Getting the hang of this...

Post by k1koala »

Just wondering how to get back and forth to our room, especially if my daughter is off on her own and wants to go back to the room to eat or get drink, etc. Wondering what is the easiest way for her since we have never had a room there, I dont know how it all works.
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

k1koala wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:51 pm Wondering what is the easiest way for her since we have never had a room there, I dont know how it all works.
k, well first of all, be mindful of which TOWER of the Sheraton you will be in, because those are different elevators on diff sides of the lobby
Just write your tower and room into everyone's phone, because sometimes when the con gets hectic... that info just sliiiiiiips away

As other person pointed out - brace self for elevators wait. They will become stressed to the max somewhere mid-Friday and remain this way entire weekend
Also, last year Sheraton implemented a new policy that those without room keys cannot go up past 5th floor - so triple check everyone has their keys on them, or the elevator may not even let them go up to their floor!!

...and sometimes if you're on floor 12 or lower, walking down the stairs instead of waiting for elevator during the Saturday rush is just faster
Maid Cafe - '18, '19, '22

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

MandaTifa wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:04 pm If you're worried about wait times, you'll want to brace yourself for waiting for Sheraton elevators. :?
At peak elevator times, it can be faster to go up, then down. When you go up, you can get in the elevator before it fills up. :D I kept running in to the same woman doing this. It's easy to go down the stairs, that can be faster.

If the elevator is too full it will not move until someone gets out.

I had fun with the elevators. Working out ways to get around the crowds.
Badge name THX1139 not cosplaying.
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Nemra wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:57 pm there are four entrances to get into the Hynes.

1) Prudential entrance: Everyone loves to go through the prudential center entrance because the doors are the closest to all the hotels (and it's "indoors") so avoid that one. You'll end up waiting a long time to get in and you'll be standing outside because the Pru doesn't allow lines to happen inside their building.

2) If the Artist Alley is open, you can use that entrance/exit (located in the back of the Alley... it'll be hard to miss this year) to remain indoors and enter the con that way but the hallway in the hotel is pretty narrow and is prone to congestion (like it did last year but we did take measures to prevent that by increasing security stations there this year).

3) The other two entrances (boylston st and dalton st) are outdoors on the other side of the building but the wait time was clocked at 15 min at peak time last year as opposed to the 1hr 45 min of the prudential entrance.

Basically what I'm getting at is, suffer the extra 5 min walk to those entrances and wait a whole lot less to get in and out.
Artist Alley entrance is Sheraton Third Floor. According to the Sheraton's floor plan, there are 2 different doors for Hynes Hall C. I do hope it never gets bad enough that AB needs to use both those doors.
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

There is is food sold inside the con, but the prices are not worth it. So don't leave between 2-5 pm on Saturday if you don't want to miss the big events.
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone