Marriage proposals at Anime Boston

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Marriage proposals at Anime Boston

Post by THX1139 »

This is not just for AB staff, looking for info from anyone.

I know of two cosplayer who made a marriage proposal at AB2016. One couple were RWBY cosplayers. The other couple were Sailor Moon cosplayers. I have pics of both couples.

How many marriages proposes were there at AB 2016?

Maybe there should be a AB photo gallery for this?
Badge name THX1139 not cosplaying.
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Re: Marriage proposals at Anime Boston

Post by royalbakaness »

I have no idea how many there were, but I just wanna say that the Sailor Moon proposal was adorable! I saw it on Instagram, and I now follow the cosplayers. They're so cute! So happy for them.
A swirly ice-cream cone of good and evil
AB 10: Ryo-ohki
AB 11: Touko Amano, Luna in cat form, Ryo-ohki
AB 12: Belarus, Hungary, fem!Canada
AB 13 : Eponine, GLaDOS, Sunako Nakahara
AB 14 : Princess Cadance, GLaDOS, Applejack
AB 15: Makise Kurisu
AB 16: GLaDOS, Steampunk Alice, Scarlet Benoit
AB 17: Ryo-ohki, Rei Hino (school uniform), Sunako Nakahara
AB 18: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles), casual steampunk
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

IDK...the only marriage proposal I've seen was several years ago, right in the middle of cosplay chess.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

There was a marriage proposal right during the middle of voice actress, Laura Bailey's panel a few years ago, the last time Laura Bailey was here in AB. It was shweet! Does anyone else remember that?
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone
striker923
AB Staff

Post by striker923 »

Master of NERV wrote:IDK...the only marriage proposal I've seen was several years ago, right in the middle of cosplay chess.
I think I remember this. It was an Ash and Pikachu cosplayer, right?
Kim Miller Brown
2022 Outreach Manager
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

striker923 wrote:
Master of NERV wrote:IDK...the only marriage proposal I've seen was several years ago, right in the middle of cosplay chess.
I think I remember this. It was an Ash and Pikachu cosplayer, right?
That's right! The audience wasn't sure at first if it was just a gag, but her expression told us it was for real, and we all went wild with applause. One of the best moments I've ever had at AB! :D (I did some thumbing through the forums; this was at AB 2012.)
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Since we're on the subject: If someone wanted to coordinate with AB for a marriage proposal or pregnancy announcement publicly at the con, would they be able to set it up in advance?

A definative yes/no/maybe would be lovely <3
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
redwillowhearts
Experienced Poster

Post by redwillowhearts »

There was a marriage proposal at the Fairy Tail photoshoot at AB2016. It was so cute~
To my future self: you forgot to change your signature
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

Aurabolt wrote:Since we're on the subject: If someone wanted to coordinate with AB for a marriage proposal or pregnancy announcement publicly at the con, would they be able to set it up in advance?

i've never heard of a pregnancy announcment, i think that may be a bit to personal, and ab is so large that i can't really keep track of all the cuteness...

most of it happens on stage during main events, on one hand it's sweet but on the other hand i'd be so lost i wouldn't know weather to say yes or not...and also it's all personal i don't think AB has any control of what happens to the cosplayers... (Sorry got off track there)
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote:
Aurabolt wrote:Since we're on the subject: If someone wanted to coordinate with AB for a marriage proposal or pregnancy announcement publicly at the con, would they be able to set it up in advance?

i've never heard of a pregnancy announcment, i think that may be a bit to personal, and ab is so large that i can't really keep track of all the cuteness...

most of it happens on stage during main events, on one hand it's sweet but on the other hand i'd be so lost i wouldn't know weather to say yes or not...and also it's all personal i don't think AB has any control of what happens to the cosplayers... (Sorry got off track there)
Eh...no worries.

I doubt tracking everything would be realistically possible though I think if someone wanted to publicly do one or the other, it might be helpful to know how to go about it. For general panels, it's up to the panelist. As a longtime panelist, I wouldn't be opposed to facilitating a marriage proposal or a pregnancy announcement if I was asked.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

we had one at CT con during the Disney photo shoot that was legit and it was the cutest thing i've ever seen! (marage) but as far as pregnancy i'm sure it all depends on the lady if she wants to keep it public or to herself it all depends on what she wants to do. but it would be really cute if she did it as a cannon paring or something
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Fangreaper
Expert Poster

Post by Fangreaper »

Can we not talk about the one that happened at chess a few years ago? I know the guy that proposed she said yes at first and then after she broke his heart.
B-kun is better than A-chan change my mind...

If you got one of my business cards at the con please hit me up on etsy! The Daft Hatter Crafting is open for business and my first sale will get a very cool gift!
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

Aurabolt wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:01 pm Since we're on the subject: If someone wanted to coordinate with AB for a marriage proposal or pregnancy announcement publicly at the con, would they be able to set it up in advance?

It really depends on which event you wanted to do the announcement in. Different managers/coordinators will have different feelings on the subject. I was the chess coordinator the year we had the one in chess, and we also had one in the Masquerade when I was coordinator for that event two years ago, but I know a lot of other coordinators aren't as cool with it as I am - and even I ask a LOT of questions before I allow something like that in any of my events. The very last thing in the world we'd want is for someone to feel pressured into saying yes because they're on stage in front of a thousand people!
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

You raise a good point. Hmm...I wonder if it would be better to change it from a proposal to a wedding announcement? In that case, both parties would already be engaged but they'd like a moment to share the upcoming nuptuals publicaly. Would that be easier?
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

If anyone sees a marriage proposal take pictures. Upload them somewhere people can get to them. Post a link on the AB forum.
Badge name THX1139 not cosplaying.
LadyTuesday
Getting the hang of this...

Post by LadyTuesday »

I remember seeing the one during the Code Geass skit at the end of masquerade about 2 years ago, so cuuuute!