Alcohol flask filled with water for a prop? Is it OK?

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
Ken Murikumo
Veteran Poster

Alcohol flask filled with water for a prop? Is it OK?

Post by Ken Murikumo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:30 pm

Alcohol in the con is a big no no. I was wondering if it would be ok to have a flask filled with water (or something) to take swigs of. The character has one and is usually buzzed.

I'm asking more to know if i will be questioned or asked not to bring it if the staff or security sees me using it.

tetsujin
Expert Poster

Re: Alcohol flask filled with water for a prop? Is it OK?

Post by tetsujin » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:58 pm

Personally I'd just fake it. Make a flask from foam or something so if somebody did have a concern, it could be easily, decisively settled (probably).

...You know, because security exists to protect us from extremely dangerous things like beverage containers.

Faceman
AB Executive

Re: Alcohol flask filled with water for a prop? Is it OK?

Post by Faceman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:32 pm

We cannot pre-approve any prop before it is inspected on-site.

That being said, alcohol is specifically prohibited from the convention premises. Bringing something meant to contain alcohol will likely get a bit more attention from the security screeners.

My advice is to not put any liquid in it at all. It's a lot easier to show a container is empty than to say "it's full of not booze."

But again, this isn't pre-approving of any props. You'll have to wait til you get inspected.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations 2017
Assistant Director of Public Relations 2015-2016
Webmaster 2010-2016
President of New England Anime Society, Inc.

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!