Educational vs. Ask Panels?

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
foreverfinn
Veteran Poster

Educational vs. Ask Panels?

Post by foreverfinn »

I don't remember who, but someone on the forums mentioned that from now on, Anime Boston will only accept educational panels, and no ask panels. Is this true?
AB 2018 Cosplay Lineup

Thursday: ???
Friday: ??? / ???
Saturday: Wonderful Rush Rin Hoshizora (Love Live!) performing with Shining Sky Idol Project / ???
Sunday: Cheer Nozomi Tojo (Love Live!)

Next Con

???

Instagram

@forever.withyoursoul
tehscribbles
AB Staff

Re: Educational vs. Ask Panels?

Post by tehscribbles »

Every year, Anime Boston receives hundreds of panel submissions. Some of these are inevitably of the format of "fans ask characters in Cosplay questions." While these panels can have a place in some contexts, generally Anime Boston is not one of those.

If you're interested in panels that allow you to discuss certain aspects of anime, generally academic seminar type discussions would be preferred.
Kate-lyn Skribiski Gingerich (Scribbles)
Programming Logistics Coordinator
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Re: Educational vs. Ask Panels?

Post by Aurabolt »

I always presumed that to mean panelists taking questions in character as the characters they're cosplaying as.

With all the panels I've done, I prefer to keep things informative and factual like being in a classroom. I get many panelists want to give the audience a good time but there is such a thing as being too over the top. I saw that with two panels I attended last year in particular.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^