The Great Feedback Post of Anime Boston 2016

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
Shiroikami
Veteran Poster

Re: The Great Feedback Post of Anime Boston 2016

Post by Shiroikami »

BasharOfTheAges wrote: FALSE. A direct link to a twitter account opened in a web browser will show you everything that has been said by that account in reverse chronological order (i.e. newest post first). There is no account required. There is no app required. It can even be embedded in another web page as a widget.
I think you missed half of my statement. I pointed out that to follow someone on Twitter (as Victor suggested in his post) an account is necessary. I am aware that it is possible to search for an account by name and view their posts. That does not make this the best (or only) solution.

I'm not trying to be argumentative for the sake of being argumentative, I'm just attempting to view as many angles as possible.
Shinden wrote: If you have a texting plan (which I am sure you do),

Send "FOLLOW @ABQueues" to 40404. No account required, all you need is a phone capable of texting, and Twitter will SMS all tweets made by that account to you.

Had I known about this account, I would have done this. Unfortunately I did not.
Do you know if subscribing to this FOLLOW via text is covered under standard texting plans, or if there is an additional premium cost on top of whatever you pay for your texting plan? Many carriers charge "premium text" fees for these kinds of texts. If this isn't a "premium" thing, it would definitely be a good option.
Flying is easy. You just have to learn to throw yourself at the ground... and miss...

2007 - Shinigami in Pink
2008 - Mitsuru (Persona 3)
2010 - Jade Curtiss: Doctor Mambo costume title (Tales of the Abyss)
2012 - Xion (Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days)
2013 - Yukionna
2014 - Kyubei (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
2015 - Sailor Jupiter
2016 - Akatsuki (Log Horizon)
2017 - Sailor Jupiter
MitsuHime
Getting the hang of this...

Post by MitsuHime »

Shinden wrote:
Shiroikami wrote:I'd like to address one item from Victor's general response that might not work out as planned.
Merk wrote: 2) Be more proactive in letting our attendees know about our average queue times to get into the Hynes. Please follow @ABQueues on Twitter before Anime Boston 2017.
There are two major problems that I can see with asking people to follow a particular Twitter account (however well-intentionedly) designed to keep people updated on line queues.

1.) Not everyone has a smart phone.
I know, it seems tantamount to sacrilege in this day and age, but the fact is that there are still a number of people using "dumb" phones or who just don't have cell phones to begin with. And some of us who do have smart phones just don't want to use up our data plans checking social media for details on lines all th

Being proactive about letting attendees know about queue times is great. I wholeheartedly endorse any and all efforts made by the AB management as a whole to do so. But an analogue solution (in addition to the digital one) might also be in order. Like a well-informed staffer or staffers (with radios) by each line with "estimated wait time" signs (I believe something like this was suggested in an earlier post). If you'll have the capability to provide that information via Twitter, I see no reason that the same information couldn't be provided via velcro signs as well. These same staffers could also serve as a safety net for everyone in the line, keeping an eye out for anyone who seems to be having physical difficulties and having the authority to expedite their movement as appropriate.

Just my thoughts.
If you have a texting plan (which I am sure you do),

Send "FOLLOW @ABQueues" to 40404. No account required, all you need is a phone capable of texting, and Twitter will SMS all tweets made by that account to you.

Had I known about this account, I would have done this. Unfortunately I did not.
Hi, in an earlier post I also stated I do not have internet at the con
I'd like to add I also have terrible phone service I can not receive or send texts while in the con i only get them when I leave the area all together .
So this option also does not work for me
reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

Shiroikami wrote: Do you know if subscribing to this FOLLOW via text is covered under standard texting plans, or if there is an additional premium cost on top of whatever you pay for your texting plan? Many carriers charge "premium text" fees for these kinds of texts. If this isn't a "premium" thing, it would definitely be a good option.

standard texting. i did a text follow on the pax twitter feed a couple weeks before tickets went on sale and didn't get hit with any premium texting fees, it just counted as a standard incoming text.
"Asking cosplayers to walk through a metal detector is like asking Axl Rose to take a drug test." -Bluebeard45
Thrillho
Expert Poster

Post by Thrillho »

Gauron wrote:
Kiarrens wrote:
Gauron wrote:
The "Bad"
For all the cosplay games, none of them were advertised on the site or elsewhere, namely the window of time for submitting. I really loved being in Deathmatch last year, & the only reason why I knew it was a thing was because it was advertised on the AB site, but this year it seemed whomever handles it didn't really advertise it whatsoever on the web site, which led me to completely miss the window for submitting. So, for 2017, please have more posts on the site advertising the submissions being open for the cosplay games.
I'm going to address this since I was mostly taking care of sending in the announcements for masquerade and cosplay games.

I'm a little confused when you say that there is nothing on the website, since there was an announcement made on January 1st when applications opened. This announcement was also broadcast through social media channels.
http://www.animeboston.com/news/article/543
I am almost certain that we made another announcement on social media the day before applications closed, and the open/close dates were a stickied post on the cosplay section of the forums.

This said, I took a look through the cosplay games descriptions and you are correct that there is no open/close date there, so we will definitely fix that for next year, as well as adding it to the Cosplay FAQ!
I checked the site multiple times starting at the beginning of the year & never saw anything about the deadline ending, maybe 1 thing about it opening & that's it. Honestly, there should be way more than just ~2 posts made about it seeing as they're easily going to be buried by other posts on various other things relating to the con. Additionally, the only thing I check the forums for is for filling/finding a hotel room & cosplay meet-ups, when there are forums at all (due to other con experiences). I never use them to find pertinent information regarding the con. That should all be on the web site, I shouldn't have to use secondary sources to find that information (*insert obligatory "back in my day, there was no social media" statement*), which also will have any relating posts buried by other more recent ones.

All I know is I found the information about the deadlines w/ little to no effort last year whereas this year I was actively looking & didn't find anything. I mean, it's only my 2nd year, so I'm still getting used to AB's site, but I find it remarkable I found hardly any advertisement for it despite actively looking for it. For panels, an email was sent out to those that submitted, both this year & from prior years, that the deadline was approaching, maybe they can do the same thing with the cosplay games.
Disclaimer: This was my first AB

I'd like to reiterate my distaste for parts of the website, since the topic was brought up. While I had previously had this conversation on social media with a member of AB staff, I figured this is a good place to keep that information instead.

First off, while social media is a good platform for notifications, remember that platforms like Twitter and Facebook use advanced algorithms that filter out some content based on a variety of reasons. I don't personally trust telling FB that "Yes, I like this page show this page on feed" and actually have it do that. So, that said, I'll speak only specifically to the site.

The descriptor I used a few months back was "counter-intuitive". The reason I say this is that the organization seems rather off in regards to how information is given. For example, I had at one point missed the announcement stating the Masquerade and Cosplay Games applications had opened, but then caught a friend posting on FB about them closing soon at the end of the month. Now, as a con-goer, when I want information about something going on, the first thing I go check is something to the effect of events. The menu on the left side has Convention Info, and then breaks out and I see Convention Schedule. Ok, that seems like the place, I go click it and (at the time) it was empty. So, now I'm confused. Signups for participation in an event are open, but the event page doesn't list anything. Ok....

To shorten the story, I was told on social media my criticism were passed to the web team, and I thanked the person for that action as it was unexpected and very cordial.

Now, having been to an AB, I understand a bit more as to why things the way they are. Cosplay games are their own category. The Masquerade is its own category. But, in layman terms for con, these are all "events" and were never listed under "events". To make matter worse, cosplay games and masquerade aren't even listed under "Programming", they have their own sections under "Cosplay" (where I would expect information to be regarding actively cosplaying during the convention and guidelines thereof).

I had to spend a good few hours getting a handle on how the website was set up, and I honestly still didn't quite understand it until after I got home from the con. I now understand why these things are separated as such, but as a new attendee, it didn't make any sense. That said, I think the website would benefit from a good overhaul to make these things more accessible to a first-time con goer. I took a rather large leap of faith by coming to AB without quite having an idea of what was going on (and it did pay off, so no regrets there), but I think I would have been in a better position to plan and enjoy the con if it were easier to review events ahead of time, the website isn't very accommodating in that department.

Finally, handling special event sign-ups using php forums is just gross. Don't get me wrong: these forums serve a great function for things like feedback and meet-up planning, and attendees swapping information and stories of experiences, but sign-ups can have an improved benefit from even with just a simple Google Form.

There's my newbie two cents.
Joe aka Gustav
1/4 of Curtain Call Cosplay

AB 2018
Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Zant (Legend of Zelda) / Professor Port (RWBY) / Rintarou Okabe (Steins;Gate) / Wario (Mario Franchise) / Over Justice (Space Patrol Luluco)

AB 2017
Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Oscar Pine (RWBY) / Zant (Hyrule Warriors)

AB 2016 (First Time!)
Professor Ozpin (RWBY) / Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Kouta (Elfen Lied)
NekoAttack
I'm new!

Post by NekoAttack »

I made this account just to comment on a few things from AB2016.

Overall, the con was amazing as ever. This was my fifth year attending Anime Boston and it did not disappoint. There were, however, a couple of things that bugged me about this year. I know tons and tons of people have already posted about the security issues, terrible wait times and incredibly long lines so I won't bore everyone with my take on those things. Personally, the lines weren't that bad plus I didn't mind waiting outside. I don't usually cosplay so I was dressed for the weather and had an umbrella so no real issue being outside for me.

The issue I did have was on Saturday morning. After getting through the metal detectors near the dealer's room, I was trying to put my things back in my bag and watching my friend coming through the other metal detector, when one of the security personnel (not sure if he was from the Hynes or what) came out of nowhere and shouted at me to move out of the way and I was blocking more people from entering. There wasn't anyone around me at the time and I was close to one of the pillars so I thought I was pretty out of the way. What ticked me off was when he shouted he scared me half to death, causing me to stumble backwards and no sooner did I make my first step I heard him shout again that there was a police dog (I think) and he grabbed me by my shoulders and moved me away from the dog (who was fast asleep and didn't even notice me, neither did his handler).

Now, I'm all for security and being safe but these guys should be trained better. I do not like being touched by anyone, especially in the harsh manner in which this security guard did. I'm not sure if physical contact was even allowed to be made by the security officers on the con-goers. Also, if the guard wanted me to keep moving, all he had to do was ask calmly and told me "Oh, would you mind going this way? There's a police dog there and I don't want him/her to get startled, thanks." That would have been fine and I would have been pleased to follow his direction, but I did not appreciate being manhandled like some criminal.

Case in point, have the security officers go through a sensitivity training course before coming here. I know there are probably people who attend the convention who have major anxiety and would panic if a stranger grabbed at them, even if they're a member of the security personnel.
foreverfinn
Veteran Poster

Post by foreverfinn »

unclejeb1861 wrote:
Mina Finn wrote:About the people being cold thing... We paid for an indoor event being forced to wait outdoors in the rain and the cold was not expected.
This is not the first year where the line for Anime Boston was filtered outdoors. In case this was your first year at the convention, on Anime Boston's website you can see a post entitled Entering The Hynes. As you can see, it notes how the line "will be filtered outdoors". This information is additionally found elsewhere on the site.

Temperatures during the weekend were admittedly below average according to accuweather, but only off by a few degrees at most. If you were expecting temperatures to be in the 60s or 70s in Boston in March then you are sorely mistaken.

It has recently come to my attention that Anime Boston does not control the weather and therefore cannot know if it is going to rain or not. I believe it only rained on Friday in any case. Based off what I have read, I have seen very few complaints about people waiting in line in the rain on Friday anyway.
Also, some cosplays cannot be worn with coats and sometimes it's very difficult or impractical to carry one. Even people dressed appropriately for the weather were cold. Cosplay is a very important thing to many congoers and if someone has been working on a cosplay and planning to wear it for months before the con, they're not going to suddenly decide the day before the con that it's too cold to wear it.

I was in a bunch of the Cosplay Games and I wasn't going to miss out on being in Chess just because I had applied a month earlier and all of a sudden I learned it would be cold for me to wear shorts and a half-shirt.
Unfortunately, you made the personal decision to sacrifice personal comfort in favor of dressing up as that character. If you choose to neglect the fact that you are dressing up in an outfit that is impractical for New England during a time where snow is often still on the ground, that is not the convention's fault in the slightest. YOU made that choice.

It should not take you a couple days or a couple months before the convention for you to determine that your cosplay is inappropriate for the weather. You should be prepared for the possibility the weather will be freezing / raining / windy. You could have acknowledged that the weather was going to likely be poor before you signed up for those cosplay games. Again, nothing that is the convention's fault.
People coordinate their costumes with friends too, and don't want to let their whole group down last minute. It's considered rude.
As I said in my previous post, I would have liked to join my friends' group cosplays or cosplay as certain characters, but I acknowledged that maybe doing that in late March in Boston is not a great idea. I will save those cosplays for conventions that occur in the Summer because I do not want to let cold weather affect my convention experience. If you would prefer to succumb to peer pressure, then that is your own decision. Maybe talk to your friends and suggest how the show / game you want to cosplay from would not be suited for the timeframe this convention occurs. Just a suggestion.

====

In short, I do not see how convention goers can attempt to blame the convention that they were cold or be shocked that they would have to actually go outside. AB gave ample advance warning people they may potentially have to stand in line outside. This was not a Houdini act, this should not have been a surprise to anyone. Because of the convention location, there is simply no other place to bring convention goers to the Hynes entrance without disrupting other businesses who are not affiliated with the con and passerbys who are trying to walk about the Pru. Capping attendance below the current amount is not a feasible solution as it would jack registration prices higher. Pushing back on MCCA to lighten up security measures is largely going to be a fruitless effort, thanks to the external events and the Pokemon World Championships incident that occured at the Hynes last year.

I have nothing against cosplay and appreciate the wonderful effort my friends and others put towards it. That being said, you cannot complain about being cold if you chose to wear an outfit that does not cover your body. You cannot also complain if you think it is too hot and you wear an outfit that completely covers your entire body. That is PERSONAL choices you made, and you cannot blame the convention for being unable to play God.

If you are unable to handle a convention that is in the earlier months of the year, I hope you find other conventions that occur during the Summer or Fall months that will be more amenable to your needs and result in one less negative voice towards an event that for its' size is impressively well run
As others have pointed out, that was a very rude and confrontational way to say that to me. Instead of shaming, calling names, and pointing fingers, you could have said it nicely. It's not difficult.

Anyway, cosplay is very important to me and I don't let outside weather get in the way of a hobby I love. However, waiting in the cold and the rain for extended periods of time was an issue. Anime Boston was still fun overall and run well, and I am not angry or blaming them. I am simply offering constructive criticism and feedback for how to make the convention experience better in the future.
AB 2018 Cosplay Lineup

Thursday: ???
Friday: ??? / ???
Saturday: Wonderful Rush Rin Hoshizora (Love Live!) performing with Shining Sky Idol Project / ???
Sunday: Cheer Nozomi Tojo (Love Live!)

Next Con

???

Instagram

@forever.withyoursoul
TeaMan89

Post by TeaMan89 »

Personal experience with the convention this year: Not that bad. Minus the food options that were available (my con group pretty much hawked Wagamama's takeout line the whole weekend) it went pretty smooth.

The 'not so pleasing' moments:

LineCon: (A) The only time this was an issue was Saturday morning when one of my friends (dressed as Fuzuki from Natsume's Book of Friends) had some trouble walking in his gown and didn't want to try getting to the Boylston entrance (which overall was the easier access point for us.) We hop in line (Prudential entrance) and it took about 30-45 minutes to get into the center. We realized the the bag-check line was non-existent with 4+metal detectors open, and the no-bag line limited to 2. Is there a chance either the security detail at the detectors can drop the ropes back to allow for access to the unused detectors (queue pending.) or have an AB Staff member pointing out which available detectors to go to? Similar to how the badge pick-up lines have been running...

Is it possible to consider mailing out pre-reg badges? I wouldn't mind paying the extra few bucks to have the badge mailed in advance...makes the wallets more pleasant when it comes to hotel reservations as well as allows for more opportunity to improve possible issues when it comes to on-site registration folks.

(B)The redirecting of convention flow within the Pru: This really only became annoying when we were trying to grab a slice of pizza down that back hallway, however, both sides of the hall were cut off.

Besides that, most of the complaints beyond this is being tossed into the "being knit-picky" pile and would rather stick to the main points.

Anyway, overall, not too shabby. AB staff was on point this year! MCCA/security detail could use courtesy reminders on interacting with people (based on other posts and witnessing a few of them) Cheers!
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

This stuff has been in my mind after reading all the other posts.

Why is getting into the Hynes not a problem all year?

The occupancy rating of the Hynes Convention Center should be the only limit placed on attendance for Anime Boston Convention. With large hallways the complex was designed to deal with a large number of people.

If they book 80-90% of the space how do people get in and out? The Hynes Auditorium is rated for 4000+ people. Exhibit Hall A,B,C,D is rated for a total of 11,000+ people for banquets.

Three hotels have indoor connections to the Mall. The Hilton is across the street. The Sheraton alone has 1,220 guest rooms, meeting space 70,000 Sq ft. The hallway connecting the Sheraton to the Mall are wide, designed for moving a large number of people. Then there is the Prudential Tower. That must hold a lot of people. There is also a condo tower in the complex. Plus the Mall. Lots of people coming and going everyday.

I have watch what was going on for all four days, I have read the posts. Hayes Security seems to be the root of the access problem, for years First bag check then metal detectors.

Ask yourself, did putting cosplayers thru a metal detector enhance security? Did you feel safer?

With all the security holes, it did not enhance security. Your were not any safer.

It sounds like the Hayes security staff is prejudice towards cosplayer. Was the Boston City Police not in favor of cosplayers with prop weapons also? One of the post from someone who worked in the security industry said Hayes security staff behavior was unacceptable. Some of the post had unacceptable behavior by the Hayes security staff.

No one wants to pay for security. It does not increase profits. It decreases profit. If you go cheap you get what you pay for. At one entrance to the Hynes we had over kill security for cosplayers. At another entrance you could have gotten a horse in.

The security staff at the Prudential Tower was not friendly either, I was wearing my AB2016 badge. Yet the Prudential Tower had a security hole a dozen terrorist could walk thru. There was no bag check or metal detectors there.

I was at the Sheraton for four days. The Sheraton had a terrorist opportunity. There was no bag check or metal detectors there. There was a security hole at the Hayes metal detectors. Shame on them. They didn’t check my telephoto lens to see if it worked. Could have been a nice bomb!

No terrorist, home grown or overseas, is going to try and use a prop light sable or a wooden sword, no mater how thin, to create mayham. Maybe you could use it to beat up the girl who stole your boyfriend.

AB security in the orange T-shirt understands amine and cosplay. They want to see Anime Boston be successful. People working for private security are working 9 to 5. They are at best indifferent to Anime Boston being successful. I assume most do not understand anime and cosplay. They don’t understand that it’s normal for a cosplayer to show up with weapons. Use metal in their outfit or dress. They may think the under 25 folks are just trouble. It looked like Hynes management was keeping the cost down. You get what you pay for.

What is my point for this post?

If this level and type of security is not the everyday standard for the Hynes, why not? Why wasn’t this level of security at the Prudential Tower? Why didn’t the Sheraton have this level of security? Was Anime Boston being subjected to this because someone in authority doesn’t like the idea of Anime Boston and what it stands for? Not everyone love anime and cosplay.

I understand AB management is a all volunteer staff and managing a 1.5+ million budget. For sure you are the unsung hero’s of Anime Boston.

Is it right to ask AB management to take on city hall?

You do have a army of helper. They may be under 25, but they have passion for Anime Boston. Ask them to write to the Mayor of Boston and/or council members. What would they write about?

Too many security authorities making policy causing confusion. Confusion lower the level of security and opens loop holes. That appear to be part of the problem with security for Anime Boston Convention. Anime Boston management should set the security policy. They should have the final word. AB security director should be in change of Hynes security staff. They should tell the Mayor why they think this is the best con ever. That Anime Boston is friendly to everyone no matter who they are, all walks of life. It helps promote social goodness. I’m not good at writing this kind of stuff.

With best regards,
Tom

P.S. The manager of DD’s told me they served about 5,000 to 6,000 people a day durning AB2016
Badge name THX1139 not cosplaying.
xenoglossy
Expert Poster

Post by xenoglossy »

I know everyone and their grandmother has complained about the security already, and I don't want to be redundant, but I do want to bring up two incidents that I was involved in, because I don't think anything too similar has come up yet.

(1) On Saturday morning, I had an item confiscated upon entering and was told to return to that entrance when I left to pick it up. When I returned on Saturday evening, the guards (who of course weren't the ones who had been on duty when I arrived) didn't have my item and had no idea what had happened to it or where it might have gone. Fortunately, the Lost and Found had it and AB/the Hynes didn't actually lose my property, but this communication failure is an issue, I think. There needs to be a consistent policy for what happens to props etc. that get confiscated and it needs to be clearly communicated to attendees. If all items confiscated before X o'clock will be moved to the lost and found at Y o'clock, we need to know this--and so do the security staff regardless of when they come on shift, so that when someone comes looking for their item and it's not there, they can actually tell you where it might be instead of going "huh, that's weird, no idea."

I mention this particularly because I also had a prop confiscated last year and this wasn't an issue at all--it was right where I left it/where I was told it would be. So I was surprised by how badly handled it was this time around.

(2) On Saturday evening I went to a photoshoot that was supposed to be held under the escalators at the Boylston street entrance (where other photoshoots were successfully held; someone in this thread actually mentions being told to move their photoshoot there from somewhere else), only for a security guard to tell me and the other photoshoot participants, quite aggressively and while shining his flashlight in our faces, that the area was off-limits and we needed to get out, and couldn't even stand near the area to tell anyone else who might arrive where we had moved to.

As much as I don't appreciate being treated like a criminal for making an innocent mistake and standing in the wrong place (and that was very much the attitude the guard had towards us, like we were deliberately transgressing), what really gets me about this is that the photoshoot, location and all, had been scheduled on the forums well in advance and was posted on the board outside the cosplay repair station (I like the board, by the way, that was a neat addition), so clearly the con staff knew about it, and there was, again, a communication failure somewhere. If certain areas are to be off limits--to photoshoots or just in general--then the Hynes or whoever needs to communicate this to the con staff in advance and the con staff in turn needs to communicate it to the attendees so they don't, you know, schedule a photoshoot there. An area that was not previously off-limits becoming off-limits during the con is ideally not something that should happen, as there will inevitably be confusion no matter what you do at that point, but if it absolutely must happen, some sort of announcement should be made. (Alternatively, all this could be avoided by having designated photoshoot locations--if nothing else, at least people scheduling photoshoots outside the designated areas would know they were taking their chances.)

On a different note entirely, while I have a smartphone and love my smartphone, the internet inside the convention center is very unreliable what with the number of people trying to use it, so it concerns me a little that some information regarding con programming that I went looking for during the course of the con was only on the website and nowhere else. Particularly weird was the total lack of mention of the Kiznaiver premiere in any of the printed material (or the Guidebook app), because I got the impression that it was supposed to be kind of a big deal, but I also went looking for information on event ticketing (or lack thereof) in the printed guide and there was nothing. (Though maybe that was too last-minute a decision to make it to print, given how late it went up on the website? Which is itself an organization issue, I feel. I did like the reversion to just lining up for the concerts instead of ticketing them, though! And Ali Project were fantastic.)
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

xenoglossy wrote:
(2) On Saturday evening I went to a photoshoot that was supposed to be held under the escalators at the Boylston street entrance (where other photoshoots were successfully held; someone in this thread actually mentions being told to move their photoshoot there from somewhere else), only for a security guard to tell me and the other photoshoot participants, quite aggressively and while shining his flashlight in our faces, that the area was off-limits and we needed to get out, and couldn't even stand near the area to tell anyone else who might arrive where we had moved to.
There was a RWBY photo shoot under the escalators at the Boylston street entrance Saturday at about noon time. People standing in that area do not block the stairs. Or block people going in and out of the Boylston street entrance.

To get to the metal detectors you have to go thru a door way. There is no good reason to make that area off limits. I would love to ask them why?
drgnladysupreme
Committed Poster

Post by drgnladysupreme »

I just realized something, after finally getting a chance to look over my AB merchandise-

Is there a way to push better quality control on the AB's merch? Aside from all the lanyards with problems, I was able to get 3 of AB's sports bottles. Turns out that 2 of them weren't sealed properly. As in, the dimple on the bottom center was so thin that after a light touch with my nail it's now a perfectly round hole. They're completely unusable! :(
J. Love Tatum
God hustle, 2016! Good hustle.
2017 is gonna be totally rad.
  • Hints will go here
  • For something old and new.
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Suggestion for AB 2017:

At all entrances and prop checks, there should be a printed copy of the props policy and the prohibited list.
That way, EVERYONE will be able to look at what the policy is so that there will be no confusion.

Especially with #6 in the Props policy:
Unapproved items will be will be cataloged and stored. Upon exit of the convention center, the owner may reclaim it. Any item found to violate city, state, or federal law may not be returned at the discretion of the Boston Police Department.

(I saw one post either here or on the Anime Boston Social fb page about confiscated props being thrown into the trash)
Tagris
I'm new!

Post by Tagris »

Hello.

I have attended AB for 3 years. This year, 2015 and 2010.

I wanted to provide some feedback as I enjoy the convention and look forward to next year.

1) The game room this year was impressive. The layout was great, the screens on each wall was a cool effect an with the added games there was a lot to do! Great job!

2) I never waited in lines to get in, so I didn't notice wait times. We always use the outside entrance and don't bring bags. I think my longest wait was 5 mins.

With that being said, an opportunity was presented which I saw more as a communication issue. On Saturday there was a long line outside at the front outdoor entrance. I moved to the front to the no bag doors and went in as there was no line.

No one was communicating to the outside line that those without a bag could get right in until they were inside the first set of doors. The line was functioning like a solid line that was branching into two lines after the double doors. This wasn't efficient for most folks.

3) I love the events and panels, and have been wondering why getting information on where things are is an obstacle. On Friday we wanted to see a panel then go to the board games room.

I didn't know where it was. I asked the info desk on the third floor and they said it was somewhere in the other hotel and I should ask someone there.

This is an acceptable answer, but I was reminded again how lost I can feel at the con. Wandering around looking for a room and not being able to find it.

Last year it was the anime library.

I would love it if there were signs up that told you other rooms and where they were...let me outline a quick example:

On the ground floor of the convention center there is the dealer room, panel rooms and lets say the anime library.

It would be awesome to see a big sign that said:
On this floor:
Dealers Room
Anime Library
Panel Rooms 1 - 20

Then below the sign would be a map of the floor (smaller, you would walk up and look at it) labeled with the points of interest on that floor outlined by the above sign.

Next to this sign, or across from it would be another sign. This big sign would read:
(Some witty version of) Other cool rooms not on this floor
Game Room
Board Game Room
Artist Alley
Karaoke

With a map below it or legend that outlines where they are.

This would really help me to understand what is going on at the convention.

My sister and I had another great year. Keep up the good work and I hope this feedback is helpful. See you in 2017!
Alcor

Post by Alcor »

tomthumb wrote:
xenoglossy wrote:
There was a RWBY photo shoot under the escalators at the Boylston street entrance Saturday at about noon time. People standing in that area do not block the stairs. Or block people going in and out of the Boylston street entrance.

To get to the metal detectors you have to go thru a door way. There is no good reason to make that area off limits. I would love to ask them why?

This has been a problem every single year I've been at AB. For some reason, the Hynes hates it if you hang around the benches (THE BENCHES, JEEZ) at the Boylston entrance. Even if you're nowhere in the line of traffic, they will chase you away from that lobby. There is no reason for this other than sheer obnoxiousness from what I can tell, but I'd love to hear a reason if one exists.
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

Alcor wrote:
tomthumb wrote:
xenoglossy wrote:

This has been a problem every single year I've been at AB. For some reason, the Hynes hates it if you hang around the benches (THE BENCHES, JEEZ) at the Boylston entrance. Even if you're nowhere in the line of traffic, they will chase you away from that lobby. There is no reason for this other than sheer obnoxiousness from what I can tell, but I'd love to hear a reason if one exists.
This is a pic of the RWBY photo shoot. No one is blocking the escalators or stairway, or doorways. Over on the right is someone from security watching. I have more pics from above if someone wants to see them.

If Hynes security wants this off limits where are the portable rope barrier or yellow tape, or sign, that Hynes security would provide.

Click on picture to zoom to larger view.

ImageAnime Boston 2016
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

If I may make another suggestion?

In regards to having us line up outdoors for a period of time, would it be possible to maybe set up outdoor tents?
Strategically the tents would be lined up vertically from the door into the main entrance door, and for Boylston, there's already coverage with the structure up until the point of the corner of the block, for the extended line of people.
The tents would cover us from above keeping the rain out and ourselves dry. If you also have the tents with the walls pulled down on the sides, that can also help with blocking out the harsh winds. And hey, if it so happens to be conveniently warmer, our heads would stay cool and shaded from the blazing sun. But if keeping the walls down is a fire hazard for people to flow out and escape, then don't have that.
This idea won't necessarily keep the cold out, but it could help with rain and wind coverage. Is this possible to discuss with the Hynes?

If this doesn't go through, it's understandable.
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

Nenie wrote:If I may make another suggestion?

In regards to having us line up outdoors for a period of time, would it be possible to maybe set up outdoor tents?
Tents are something we have thought about and are already on our "to try and figure out how to do them / how to get someone to pay for them.
Michael Lee
Director of Technical Operations
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

Part of that planning (for outdoor tents) also [apparently] involves the right permits and everything involved there, which isn't impossible but just requires money and time. Again, part of the calculus in 'how to make it work' that Mike just mentioned.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
Shirley Dulcey
AB Alumni

Post by Shirley Dulcey »

The pop-up food in the Prudential Mall was their idea, and they aren't only there during AB. One downside is that their hours are limited; they close at 7pm (or earlier if they run out of food) so they're not much use to the night owls. I had dinner at the barbecue one on Thursday evening, and one of the women running it complimented me on my outfit (which was a pretty dress but not cosplay); I told her "you ain't seen nothing yet".
Shinden
Veteran Poster

Post by Shinden »

Aidan2 wrote:
Nenie wrote:If I may make another suggestion?

Tents are something we have thought about and are already on our "to try and figure out how to do them / how to get someone to pay for them.
Sasuga Anime Boston!
pulsedemon wrote:Part of that planning (for outdoor tents) also [apparently] involves the right permits and everything involved there, which isn't impossible but just requires money and time. Again, part of the calculus in 'how to make it work' that Mike just mentioned.
I was working with the Japan Festival to help set up a tent booth last year, didn't go through with it due to personal issues, but there is a lot of stuff to deal with, from permits to what the tents can be made of, where they can be, what you can put them on, etc etc. It's the reason why I didn't suggest it, because it's not as simple as "let's just put a line of awnings over the queue area outside".

Honestly the only good solution to this is a fundamental change in the Hynes architecture, an investment they should make if they want to continue operating for the next ten years, unless security policies change. But that would involve a coordination between so many property owners and developers that it's a headache in itself.
2012: I, Otaku
2013: off
2014: An Introduction to Kill La Kill
2015: Beyond Honnouji
2016: Japanophile's Guide to Boston, Nippon wo Mamore
2017: All About the Imperial Family
2018: Contrasts of Tezuka
Qu-ko
Veteran Poster

Post by Qu-ko »

A minor gripe, but one I imagine might solve a few of the problems previously mentioned here, including confusion on opening times for various facilities.

I used the Guidebook app all weekend. And I noticed that no matter where I looked in it, I could not find any information on Dealer's Room, Artist's Alley, game room, etc. hours anywhere. So perhaps having a dedicated tab on the app for opening/closing hours (including any updates to them if necessary) would alleviate things a little on that front, both for attendees and staff that may not be in the loop?
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

Qu-ko wrote:A minor gripe, but one I imagine might solve a few of the problems previously mentioned here, including confusion on opening times for various facilities
This was an oversight on our part, and is a known issue. I look forward to it being addressed (along with some other unused Guidebook functionality.
Michael Lee
reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

Shinden wrote: Honestly the only good solution to this is a fundamental change in the Hynes architecture, an investment they should make if they want to continue operating for the next ten years, unless security policies change. But that would involve a coordination between so many property owners and developers that it's a headache in itself.
this actually made me think of something kind of important.

over the last 12 months, we saw the prudential mall tell all the retailers in the foodcourt to gtfo, because there was going to be a big renovation and eataly was going to replace them all. these places didn't leave voluntarily, they were forced out.

over the last few years, almost every major complaint against the con that people have had was met with "sorry about that, hynes/pru/etc. sprung new rules/regulations/requests on us at the last minute".

you probably already see where i'm going with this. does ab have any kind of contingency plan in place if june were to roll around and the hynes sends ab a letter saying "we're doing a major renovation and the facility will be closed for a year"? this seems as if it would be an unlikely scenario, but if the hynes really wants to shove their security theater down everyone's throats, they are going to have to do some redesigning, and that could be a long project.
"Asking cosplayers to walk through a metal detector is like asking Axl Rose to take a drug test." -Bluebeard45
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

reaper527 wrote:if june were to roll around and...
This is really getting way off into the weeds. You're starting from a premise that isn't even a thing to start with.

Any kind of major renovation would be discussed with us (as well as every other lessee that's got a contract to use the building) as soon as would be reasonable. We'd then work out a plan from there.

There have already been minor construction projects that have closed parts of the building over time and the actual effect on our show has been minimal, if there's been any.

Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

pulsedemon wrote: There have already been minor construction projects that have closed parts of the building over time and the actual effect on our show has been minimal, if there's been any.

Hey man i'm still bitter over losing room Hynes 100 and 106/110. Those were some big rooms!

Yeah this is such a wild card idea its not worth loosing sleep over. The one that is of immediate concern is the merger between Starwood and Marriott and what the new conglomeration will choose to do with those two properties when the dust settles. But even that is a ways out!
Michael Lee
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

Yeah, but I meant the act of the construction while it was happening caused minimal interruption on the execution of our plans. Once we knew about it, we could roll with it. But it's not like worth coming up with 900 contingency plans for every possibility we could think of and then hiring novelists to imagine new scenarios we'd then use to come up with new contingency plans.

Maydog
Experienced Poster

Post by Maydog »

Aidan2 wrote:
pulsedemon wrote: There have already been minor construction projects that have closed parts of the building over time and the actual effect on our show has been minimal, if there's been any.

Hey man i'm still bitter over losing room Hynes 100 and 106/110. Those were some big rooms!

Yeah this is such a wild card idea its not worth loosing sleep over. The one that is of immediate concern is the merger between Starwood and Marriott and what the new conglomeration will choose to do with those two properties when the dust settles. But even that is a ways out!
Marriott is stating they are keeping all of the Brands . They believe all the properties can compete effectively in the market as is. This includes the current Starwood teams and Marriott teams remaining in place to continue to manage as is. The Sheraton brand is currently being assessed by Starwood anyway for a revamp process which was prior to the acquisition. The only thing that might change in some way (or maybe not) will be SPG rewards vs Marriott rewards. Looks like the relationship with Sheraton Boston should be the same.
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

Maydog wrote: Looks like the relationship with Sheraton Boston should be the same.
I'm sure thats going to be on paper. however time will tell. There will always be a consolidation of upper level management and that can change attitudes all the way down. And while in most areas they would be able to cooexist. in Boston that will put one management company over all 3 major hotel spaces in back bay. yes they are distinct brands but i doubt that they will stay owned by the group forever.
Michael Lee
Maydog
Experienced Poster

Post by Maydog »

Aidan2 wrote:
Maydog wrote: Looks like the relationship with Sheraton Boston should be the same.
I'm sure thats going to be on paper. however time will tell. There will always be a consolidation of upper level management and that can change attitudes all the way down. And while in most areas they would be able to cooexist. in Boston that will put one management company over all 3 major hotel spaces in back bay. yes they are distinct brands but i doubt that they will stay owned by the group forever.
Yes that would make sense. Having the Back Bay as its own Region or District so to speak. Just as you say only time will tell. I must add that our family really appreciates the hospitality the Sheraton shows us every year. We appreciate the way they extend themselves for Anime Boston. It's our sincere wish they stay close to Anime Boston for many years to come. Thank you for your insight.
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

I don't know if it's ever been discussed or not - some of my friends went to PAX East & in the expo hall were signs stating "Please don't stop for cosplay photos" & it seemed to help traffic flow immensely. I did not know if this was ever considered for use in the main hallyway of the convention center that is not only congested as the entrance/exit, but also contains the dealer's room entrance/fed ex etc? This one area amongst all others always seems to just be a logistical nightmare. Just curious.
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

Full Frontal - Gundam Unicorn
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

This is out of left field but I'm wondering if it would be possible to just ask the Boston PD to take over running the security checkpoints for the weekend. I've attended the Boston Marathon since the bombing in 2013 each year and the difference is like night and day.

Mind you, the Marathon's attendees at the Finish Line are of a much higher volume and much less "filtered" than Anime Boston's. My average wait time to go through the checkpoints is 5 minutes. Passing through the security checkpoints takes no more than 30 seconds. I think even having BPD there as an extra layer could help ease alot of the tension between congoers and Hynes security that's built up in the last few years.

Of course, it also helps BPD are better trained and know what to look for in regards to security checkpoints. You wo't see those boxes of prop weapons on display like was the case this year. They might check realistic-looking firearms but everything else they'll likely wave through. This would free up Hynes security to walk the building while BPD takes point at the door.

Just a thought.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

no need: if people get brave enough to do so then there's alot of "in expensive" places to eat at other then the mall, but that requires going places and interacting with the normal people on the outside...

i did find a Potbelly sandwitch shop there which is very interesting cause i thought it was something special we had at home guess nothing is really special around me
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
stargazera5

Post by stargazera5 »

Has there been any word yet if the security will be ramped down to sane levels? I need to decide which anime con I'll be going to next year shortly, and it won't be ABos if they can't definitively say we won't have to put up with the crap we did for the last 2-3 years (last year was just the straw that broke the camel's back).

Yes, I know NEAS did their best with a bad situation last year and they generally put on an excellent con (I've been to 15 of them!), but the only way this changes is if they put massive pressure on MCCA. If they won't or can't do that, then everything else is moot.
ABos '03,'04,'05,'06,'07,'08,'09,'10,'11,'12,'13,'14,'15,'16 & Providence Anime Conference