The Great Feedback Post of Anime Boston 2016

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Re: The Great Feedback Post of Anime Boston 2016

Post by royalbakaness »

Master of NERV wrote: "I didn't even bother with my weapons after I saw this large Brute brand trash barrel packed with homemade props. I saw several swords and a Thor hammer (all VERY intricate and beautiful) stuffed into the trash container suggesting there was no way they could be reclaimed by their owners who had obviously put a lot of time and energy into them before they were taken away for whatever reason. If that had happened to me with part of my costume I would have been furious! They weren't even given the option to bring them back to their room. There was a Link cosplayer who had a very intricate sword snatched away and broken up in the trash. That would have ruined my con experience if that was me."
This is the one thing that has me anxious about next year. I don't typically have "weapons" for props, but I was considering making a staff for next year. However, after hearing about the seemingly arbitrary prop confiscation, I'm hesitant about it. I work hard on my cosplays, and they're a big part of why I love the con. I agree that if some security person ruined a prop I worked so hard on, it would indeed ruin my con. I rarely get upset with people at cons, but I would be furious. I hope this gets sorted out by next year.
Last edited by royalbakaness on Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A swirly ice-cream cone of good and evil
AB 10: Ryo-ohki
AB 11: Touko Amano, Luna in cat form, Ryo-ohki
AB 12: Belarus, Hungary, fem!Canada
AB 13 : Eponine, GLaDOS, Sunako Nakahara
AB 14 : Princess Cadance, GLaDOS, Applejack
AB 15: Makise Kurisu
AB 16: GLaDOS, Steampunk Alice, Scarlet Benoit
AB 17: Ryo-ohki, Rei Hino (school uniform), Sunako Nakahara
AB 18: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles), casual steampunk
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

The biggest issue each year is a lack of communication and co-ordination between the different security groups.

The Boylston St entrance on Saturday did not have separate lines for Bag & No Bag. Not until right at the entrance, where they told ones with bags to step to the side and use door a bit further ahead.

Now, I didn't use the Pru entrance during AB 2016, but I have to ask: WHY were the metal detectors all the way down in front of the FedEx? Letting people that far into the building before going through security pretty much defeats the point of security. Last year, the bag check at that entrance was right inside the door.

If AB can have any say in how they handle it next year, I say, if MCCA want metal detectors, just use the wands. That way they can keep it right at the doors.
HenshinNinjaArashiKage
I'm new!

Post by HenshinNinjaArashiKage »

Alright, where to begin?

For my con experience:
Friday I tried to get into the dealers room early, because I had the crunchyroll pass. Was told no, because I guess there was a cut off time for that? I mean, I'm not too torn up about it, I still got in 5 minutes later. aside from that, actually rather pleasant.

Lines on Saturday.... Wow. Just... wow. those lines. took me an hour to get in on Saturday. And you're thinking "Well, thats because security." And yes, it was. I went to New York Comic Con last October, and not only did they have the bag checks and what have you, but you also had to tap your badge at certain terminals / volunteers, and it was STILL only a five minutes wait each day to get in and out. So I know this can be effective.
You can barely walk around the hall itself anymore. There were three panels I wanted to go to that day, and I missed the first because of the lines to get in to the convention, I missed the second because everyone else lined up 2 hours early to get to said panel, and I got to the third... okay actually. but whats concerning is this was Bad Anime Bad and it looked like it reached capacity this year. that frightens me because that room is huge, and I've never seen it that full.

Lines on Sunday- Manageable. There was this one older security guard who was kind of a... well, there isn't really a nice way to say it. Anyway, I was trying to get on the escalators when the guy in front of me stopped for a few seconds, as if this was a brand new concept to him. as soon as I tried to step around this security guard walked right next to me and SHOUTED at this guy. Like, I get shouting in a crowd to get attention, but when you're right next to someone? Rather silly.

How to handle next year?
Some one mentioned earlier that the cap should be lowered, and I agree. It sounds terrible, and I know that the convention would lose money, but lowering the cap to 25,000 would be great, at least until the Con, PRU and Hynes can work something out.

Staff identification- There has been more than a few times that I've had awkward or unpleasant interactions with the staff (Granted, this year there were two people who were actually AMAZING.) and going by some posts I see people feel the same. so instead of trying to awkwardly describe them, why not have them wear a badge that has a number or something on it? Like "ABSTAFF-2187" or at least a name rather than just "STAFF".

just my two cents.
foreverfinn
Veteran Poster

Post by foreverfinn »

royalbakaness wrote:
Master of NERV wrote: "I didn't even bother with my weapons after I saw this large Brute brand trash barrel packed with homemade props. I saw several swords and a Thor hammer (all VERY intricate and beautiful) stuffed into the trash container suggesting there was no way they could be reclaimed by their owners who had obviously put a lot of time and energy into them before they were taken away for whatever reason. If that had happened to me with part of my costume I would have been furious! They weren't even given the option to bring them back to their room. There was a Link cosplayer who had a very intricate sword snatched away and broken up in the trash. That would have ruined my con experience if that was me."[/color][/i]
This is the one thing that has me anxious about next year. I don't typically have "weapons" for props, but I was considering making a staff for next year. However, after hearing about the seemingly arbitrary prop confiscation, I'm hesitant about it. I work hard on my cosplays, and they're a big part of why I love the con. I agree that if some security person ruined a prop I worked so hard on, it would indeed ruin my con. I rarely get upset with people at cons, but I would be furious. I hope this gets sorted out by next year.
Exactly. That's a big concern for me too.
AB 2018 Cosplay Lineup

Thursday: ???
Friday: ??? / ???
Saturday: Wonderful Rush Rin Hoshizora (Love Live!) performing with Shining Sky Idol Project / ???
Sunday: Cheer Nozomi Tojo (Love Live!)

Next Con

???

Instagram

@forever.withyoursoul
foreverfinn
Veteran Poster

Post by foreverfinn »

Fetch wrote:The biggest issue each year is a lack of communication and co-ordination between the different security groups.

The Boylston St entrance on Saturday did not have separate lines for Bag & No Bag. Not until right at the entrance, where they told ones with bags to step to the side and use door a bit further ahead.

Now, I didn't use the Pru entrance during AB 2016, but I have to ask: WHY were the metal detectors all the way down in front of the FedEx? Letting people that far into the building before going through security pretty much defeats the point of security. Last year, the bag check at that entrance was right inside the door.

If AB can have any say in how they handle it next year, I say, if MCCA want metal detectors, just use the wands. That way they can keep it right at the doors.
I second this. The metal detectors went off for pretty much everyone, resulting in everyone having to take time to tell Security what metal they had and then being wanded down. If the wands were the only things used in the first place, it'd be faster.
AB 2018 Cosplay Lineup

Saturday: Wonderful Rush Rin Hoshizora (Love Live!) performing with Shining Sky Idol Project / ???

Next Con

???

Instagram

@forever.withyoursoul
Victablook
Expert Poster

Post by Victablook »

Luckily, I had no horrible experience going through LineCon this year-- (I suppose it's because I appeared younger than I really am, and my bag was small and innocent enough (as the rest of my cosplay was) that security didn't pry) but it really was ridiculous. My friend and I got mixed answers from actual security staff as to whether the Artist Alley entrance was open on Saturday, only to be stopped by the one security member there who told us we had to go back outside to get into the con.

Why were entrances blocked in the first place? Are you trying to make OUR wait a lot longer than it has to be so that we don't want to go next year. The two entrances that WERE kept open were nothing but cramped and condensed and nearly gave me an anxiety attack the one time I had to be stuck in one of them. I would have understood if there weren't any metal detectors and bag checks at the closed entrances, but I could see the metal detector wands right there. Why were the full metal detectors implanted when it's basically useless with so many people going in with costumes decked out in metal? It made sense at the Pokemon tournament run in the same building earlier, but it was a total waste for an event like Anime Boston-- where a bomb or an actual gun being detected can easily be passed off as a metal compartment on a costume.

Prop check was extremely inconsistent as well. During pre-show for Cosplay Chess, I was talking to a cosplayer who was a piece from a baseball anime who told me the security didn't let their baseball into the con because it's considered a "projectile weapon". However, there was a cosplayer from Prince of Tennis in the game as well-- who had both their tennis racket and a TENNIS BALL allowed into the con. Very disappointing in how inconsistent the security were with this, especially since this affected our performances for Cosplay Events, affecting our audiences' entertainment.

Luckily, the Cosplay Events and the other events went so well and were so fun that I'm still willing to go next year. Let's hope the security is better next year, but I'm not letting my hopes get too high.
2024:
tails (sonic)
ryuk (death note)
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

Mina Finn wrote: I second this. The metal detectors went off for pretty much everyone, resulting in everyone having to take time to tell Security what metal they had and then being wanded down. If the wands were the only things used in the first place, it'd be faster.
I thought for sure my corset was going to set off the wand at Boylston Street, but the only things that did were my prop keys, and they said nothing about it. Go figure.
Painted_Outlaw
Veteran Poster

Post by Painted_Outlaw »

Mina Finn wrote:The metal detectors went off for pretty much everyone, resulting in everyone having to take time to tell Security what metal they had and then being wanded down.
Really? They never went off for me or my sister. O_o The most my sister had to do was have prop inspection put a sticker on her plastic sword but, we never had the detectors go off at any point.
Attendee since 2010, panelist since 2016.
Xias
Veteran Poster

Post by Xias »

MollyThornhart wrote:The Japanese Wrestling panel was informative and engaging. Showing some of the more talented matches with explanations of the rules of each match was absolutely perfect and the Q and A portion was fantastic and professional as well.
Thanks so much for the kind words on my panel! This was my third straight year running a version of it at AB and I really thought this year was the best one yet. Certainly I had the most fun putting it on and it seemed like the nearly full room enjoyed themselves, so thanks again for the positive feedback! Hopefully we'll see you again next year!
Panelist, Anime Boston 2014-2019
Presenting 3 panels at AB 2019
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
-Japan Travel Tips: Planning Your First Trip
-Bemani: From DDR to IIDX to SDVX
reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

Master of NERV wrote: "I didn't even bother with my weapons after I saw this large Brute brand trash barrel packed with homemade props. I saw several swords and a Thor hammer (all VERY intricate and beautiful) stuffed into the trash container suggesting there was no way they could be reclaimed by their owners who had obviously put a lot of time and energy into them before they were taken away for whatever reason. If that had happened to me with part of my costume I would have been furious! They weren't even given the option to bring them back to their room. There was a Link cosplayer who had a very intricate sword snatched away and broken up in the trash. That would have ruined my con experience if that was me."
this is just flat out unacceptable. i'm not a "make a scene" type of person, but there absolutely would be a scene if the inspection table confiscated my prop and refused to let me just bring it back to my hotel room.

security being overzealous about props sucks, but it is what it is if they don't want to allow an obviously safe prop into the building because that lightsaber just looks too realistic. refusing to let people leave to put their rejected prop in their room and then re-enter without it is crossing the line by miles though, and isn't even remotely acceptable.
"Asking cosplayers to walk through a metal detector is like asking Axl Rose to take a drug test." -Bluebeard45
purple_popinjay
Determined Poster

Post by purple_popinjay »

I do want to add that I did have an amusing interaction with the metal detectors and a security staff member. I was dressed as Darth Vader and I, and everyone around me, had no doubt that I was going to set off the metal detectors. When I got up to go through, the security staffer just grinned and shook his head and told me to walk through. Of course, it beeped. We all had a good laugh while he used the wand and we discussed the wiring in the suit for the light up pieces that was setting it off. My friend took the opportunity to comment, "He's more machine than man now..." So, despite tensions, people still had a sense of humor. Lol
"Do you know what costume players are? Costume players like to dress up as Pokemon for fun!" - Pokemaniac, Rock Tunnel, Pokemon Red/Blue Versions

---------------------------------------------------------------------

AB 2024 Tentative Line-Up:
Schedule TBD
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

(Not Staff) - I on occasion also cosplay & props are a heavy piece of this for me as well.

Just like the other security concerns, prop checks appeared to also be run by Boston PD. If there is actual law on how Boston PD were implementing this & definitions on what violates said law, the only corrective course is to seek legislative change within MA to have it go live before next con dates. I would suggest all attendees intending to bring props become familiar with any/all applicable laws in regards to weapons in MA right away.

IF this is not based upon actual law, but policy guidelines drawn up & enforced, I would hope conversations will occur on how to better meet any requirements on props.

The biggest issue at the end of the day - is not everyone who is reading or posting to these forums or the other social media sites. The issue is reaching the remaining tens of thousands that ONLY experience the rules & the shock on-site - BEFORE they are on-site. Perhaps make the rules, including props, cosplay, etc. a more visable & interactive part of pre-registration where the largest group is likely to be captured (including an actual part of a mailing/email detailing all the identified issues now being discussed & the resolutions)? Unless you are actively paying attention to the social media or web site, "ain't no one gotta clue what is going on." Posting about it days prior to go-live did not seem to reach enough of those actively expressing opinions either. I would imagine other conventions have this same/similar issue. Wonder what they are experiencing now?
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

Full Frontal - Gundam Unicorn
Shinden
Veteran Poster

Post by Shinden »

The prop thing has me really on edge now. Did anyone have even the option to go pick up their props from some sort of lost and found at the end of the con? Or did thousands of dollars and man hours go in dumpsters? Sending people away is one thing, but to just confiscate? Outrage.

If this inconsistent and asinine alarmist letter of the law policy is going to be an AB staple from now on, could you at least do weapons check I'm the line outside the con? Have the weapons check people walk up and down the lines, tagging anything for approval and sending people back to hotel rooms/cars/etc for ones that don't pass? Because it is absolutely unacceptable the way it happened this year. I'd say more but I assume it would all be word filtered.
2012: I, Otaku
2013: off
2014: An Introduction to Kill La Kill
2015: Beyond Honnouji
2016: Japanophile's Guide to Boston, Nippon wo Mamore
2017: All About the Imperial Family
2018: Contrasts of Tezuka
reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

Kalyoth wrote: Perhaps make the rules, including props, cosplay, etc. a more visable & interactive part of pre-registration where the largest group is likely to be captured (including an actual part of a mailing/email detailing all the identified issues now being discussed & the resolutions)?
the problem with this is that the rules don't really matter. what was/wasn't allowed appears to be completely arbitrary and not based on any kind of clear rubric, and more specifically, it was applied extremely inconsistently from one check point to another.
"Asking cosplayers to walk through a metal detector is like asking Axl Rose to take a drug test." -Bluebeard45
foreverfinn
Veteran Poster

Post by foreverfinn »

Painted_Outlaw wrote:
Mina Finn wrote:The metal detectors went off for pretty much everyone, resulting in everyone having to take time to tell Security what metal they had and then being wanded down.
Really? They never went off for me or my sister. O_o The most my sister had to do was have prop inspection put a sticker on her plastic sword but, we never had the detectors go off at any point.
The detectors went off on me once and the guard waved me through without even asking what metal I had on me. That concerned me a lot.
AB 2018 Cosplay Lineup

Next Con

???

Instagram

@forever.withyoursoul
HanniBanani
Getting the hang of this...

Post by HanniBanani »

This being my 4th consecutive year at Anime Boston, Ive got to say its been the worst. There were a few shining moments, but overall? Nope.

Throwback to that time when we used to hold our badges over our heads and walk through the door, am I right? Thanks to this new rule of "everyone has to go outside because we said so," I had the great pleasure of wearing a leotard outside in March. My legs, arms, and nearly 75% of my skin was exposed to the wind and let me tell you how that felt. Like torture. I had no jacket, no warning, no nothing. Twenty minutes later we finally made it to the door and the staff member rushed me inside because I was actually shaking in my boots (which were also spandex). More than a few people in line gave me apologetic looks and asked "are you cold?" Perhaps a small "75% of your skin is showing" line INSIDE would be appreciated. It couldn't be that difficult to monitor (like really. If you can see someones butt they probably shouldn't go outside in March) if you see skin, LET THEM IN.

And on Sunday we had the great experience of watching Hynes staff racially profile a couple that happened to be Asian. Picture this. My 4 very white friends and I walk up to security. We're all BLATANTLY wearing anime t-shirts. A cute couple in front of us try to walk through the ropes. (There are signs everywhere pointing to outside, however this being Sunday, we were tired of going around the huge building) The security officer put his hand out and said "Are you going to the Anime?" (Ah yes. The Anime.) These two young people are wearing white button ups, jeans, black sneakers, and DONT EVEN HAVE A BADGE ON. My friends and I are five feet behind them (we had out badges tucked into our anime shirts) and walk right through the ropes to the Hynes. Ah yes. White privilege at an Anime Convention because only Asians like anime apparently. I saw these people later in the con and wanted nothing more than to apologize to them for how they were treated. They didnt even look like anime fans at first glance- just a couple of teenagers walking in Boston.

That being said, there were a few shining moments.

After the whole Friday Todd Haberkorn signing fiasco, I excitedly bounced into the dealers room at 1 on Saturday and booked it to Todd's table for a paid autograph (which we were informed of at the Friday mistake). The line was already MAXED at 1.5 hours before he was set to arrive. Me, being a die hard Todd Haberkorn fan, told me friends that I will wait in this line. Staff had a different idea. They said that if the line moved they'd let more people in, but as of now, no more people. So we walked around for 30 minutes, and checked back. They, luckily, told me the truth that there were 0 people getting in this line no matter what. I came to terms with the fact that I wasn't getting in (We had to go to the Masquerade at 5 since we were in the Fashion Show, meaning I would miss Todd's other signing as well as his panel) so I just wanted to catch a glimpse of Todd. We rounded the corner, I saw Todd, and immediately burst into tears. A few people gave me looks, and my friends laughed (This was the second time I had saw Todd, the first being Friday after we were told to leave the overflow room, where I also cried upon seeing him) Todd Haberkorn has been my role model in life and helped me get through some extremely tough times. He literally means the world to me, I was overwhelmed to the point of tears (Im a mess, I know) And lucky for me, a staff member of the line noticed and came over. She was so nice and asked me what was wrong (She had noticed me looking at Todd and sobbing) I explained the situation to her, and she was so understanding. When I looked through my bag for tissues, she disappeared and rushed back immediately. She grabbed my arm and told me to come with her, and she took me to the end of the line- back to my friend, the good ol' end of the line man, who had turned me away twice now. She informed him that I was to be the last person in line and to let no one else in line. Me, a sobbing mess, couldn't even begin to thank this girl. She was letting me meet the most important person in my life and I am so grateful to her. When I did meet Todd, i managed to hold back my tears (barely) and it was to this day my best memory that I will treasure forever. Its moments like these that make me really appreciate the Staff at Anime Boston. They were all so incredibly helpful this year- especially in the Cosplay Repair room. We were in that room so much we were on a first name basis with the staff. And I'm completely serious. They were so helpful when I was struggling with my hat (it was not staying on my head no matter how many bobby-pins were going in there) They were all so helpful and Im so glad that that room exists.

One more instance with the staff that I was so grateful for was registration. Friday morning, we had already struggled to check into our hotel, took 3 hours to get into our heavy costumes, and another 20 minutes to get to registration. Upon walking in, we went straight to Pre-Reg. I asked the two staff members standing there if this was the line, and they said yes, and pointed to a room ABSOLUTELY FILLED with people. I whipped my head around and said "Youre joking, we have to be at judging for the masquerade in an hour" and to be honest tears were coming into my eyes. The two staff members looked at each other, looked at us, and pushed us inside. They told us to "Get the **** in there" and pushed us to the front of the line. We thanked them profusely as we ran to an open booth and got our badges within 5 minutes. Lines had never been that long for us, so we were completely shocked to see the immense amount of people. Thank goodness those staff members were so nice, because we barely made it to judging.
Painted_Outlaw
Veteran Poster

Post by Painted_Outlaw »

Mina Finn wrote:
Painted_Outlaw wrote:
The detectors went off on me once and the guard waved me through without even asking what metal I had on me. That concerned me a lot.
Ohh. What confused me is/was you saying they went off on "everyone" and I was like "Um...". :lol:
Attendee since 2010, panelist since 2016.
Tony-San
Experienced Poster

Post by Tony-San »

They have to work out something about the security measures in the Hynes. Those lines were just a total inconvenience for everyone. Bag checks and metal detectors, soon they're ganna be asking for Ids, passports, and social security numbers....
Gauron

Post by Gauron »

Overall, had a great time. First off...

The Good
Panel room staff were super helpful & cordial. Had a great conversation w/ most that staffed any of my panels & they were generally a great help.

Despite how many complain about the security, I personally had no problems. Every time I had to go through the metal detectors they usually were very genial & I usually had a nice short conversation whenever I passed by. Same goes for the security check at the Artist Alley.

The Panel programming head, Kate-lynn, was great to work w/ for panels & was a huge help whenever I had questions.

The "Bad"
Nothing too terrible, but having the panel feedback session in the con center made attending it past a certain time impossible. So maybe for next year have it in one of the hotel rooms so there isn't the issue of the center closing after a certain point, making it impossible for more ppl. to come in. I personally booked a late flight just to make sure I could make the feedback session, but it was all for naught. In any case, try putting it not in the con center for next year.

For all the cosplay games, none of them were advertised on the site or elsewhere, namely the window of time for submitting. I really loved being in Deathmatch last year, & the only reason why I knew it was a thing was because it was advertised on the AB site, but this year it seemed whomever handles it didn't really advertise it whatsoever on the web site, which led me to completely miss the window for submitting. So, for 2017, please have more posts on the site advertising the submissions being open for the cosplay games.

Suggestions
Have the cosplay meet ups listed in the Guidebook. I've seen several other cons do this, so thought I'd mention it. The cosplay dept. could handle it & create a form on the web site for ppl. to submit to, which would also list potential locations for having meet ups. This would also make it easier to make sure meet ups are happening in approved areas & could prevent instances of the security kicking ppl. out of locations, etc.

Again, I had an overall awesome time & greatly enjoyed AB this year like last year & can't wait for AB 2017 ^.^
~~
dj Date Masamune
Panel Site: https://djdatemasamune.wordpress.com/
Thrillho
Expert Poster

Post by Thrillho »

Nemra wrote:
Thrillho wrote:Are there any other instances besides this that you felt was disjointed? Typically, at-con the focus is on twitter as that is the most often checked platform (and best algorithm for it). While facebook is a good competitor, the algorithm for how posts show up on news feeds makes it much less ideal (I explained it earlier in this thread somewhere). That could be what makes it feel disjointed for now, but typically when an announcement is made on one platform it, it posts on all.
At-Con seemed to be in pretty good shape between Twitter and Facebook (I'm not a Tumblr user), however when I start to go through some of the posts/tweets historically, I can find some disconnect between the two (and some between those and the AB website, though since I have hard time navigating the AB website, that might be partially responsible for that).

My gripe about the FB posts during the con were the Sheraton/Artist's Alley entrance being declared closed but I saw it open an hour later, but that was due to a different issue and has already been discussed.
Joe aka Gustav
1/4 of Curtain Call Cosplay

AB 2018
Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Zant (Legend of Zelda) / Professor Port (RWBY) / Rintarou Okabe (Steins;Gate) / Wario (Mario Franchise) / Over Justice (Space Patrol Luluco)

AB 2017
Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Oscar Pine (RWBY) / Zant (Hyrule Warriors)

AB 2016 (First Time!)
Professor Ozpin (RWBY) / Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Kouta (Elfen Lied)
Max465
Experienced Poster

Post by Max465 »

Vanner wrote:Why were entrances blocked in the first place? Are you trying to make OUR wait a lot longer than it has to be so that we don't want to go next year. The two entrances that WERE kept open were nothing but cramped and condensed and nearly gave me an anxiety attack the one time I had to be stuck in one of them.
As someone who was part of the final group of people let in through the Artist Alley Entrance before it was closed off at around 11 am(or at least closed off the first time. I heard it opened on and off, but I know nothing about that), I can assure you it wasn't pretty.

The line actually got SUPER long (relative to the space) and super unsafe. The narrow hallway leading to the AA room got clogged up, so they had to move the line downstairs to the 2nd floor, and send people up minimally. But this was also a problem because the 2nd floor line up area was reserved for panel rooms. So they had to make the decision to close the entrance because it was becoming a fire hazard.
Sakura-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sakura-chan »

After reading this thread further, I'm really, really glad I didn't have my prop confiscated, I didn't even realize that was occurring, and I never once went to the weapons check because I legitimately forgot..I only remembered halfway through Saturday and I had already been through the metal detectors with it twice by that point..None of them said a thing. x-x
'06: Sakura (Naruto)
'07: Sakura (Naruto)
'09: Hungary (Hetalia)
'13: Euphemia (Code Geass, for the Spirit Ball!), Rachel Alucard (Blazblue)
'16: Saber EXTRA (Fate/EXTRA), Rose Quartz (SU)
Arakni666
Experienced Poster

Post by Arakni666 »

Everyone's reports of the prop checking really makes me feel like I dodged a bullet here. I spent ages building my cane, and the very thought of it having been taken away, without giving me the option of returning it to my room? I'm not a confrontational person by nature, but that would have crossed the line.

Also, I'm seconding the person who mentioned none of the staff paying attention to the prop check stickers. My cane was checked three times, once a day- so I guess I dodged three bullets, hmm- and every time, the sticker was placed somewhere different. On Friday, the guy stuck it right on the most obvious handhold, which not only meant it didn't stick well due to that part being rounded, but also it kept coming off on my glove. Nobody noticed or cared. On Saturday, it was placed on the side of the question mark, a sensible and visible spot. Still, nobody seemed to be looking elsewhere in the con. And on Sunday, the sticker ended up right on the bottom of the question mark, basically invisible to someone who wasn't holding the cane and specifically searching for it. Again, nobody cared. Plus, none of the staff actually asked me to go to the prop check, despite the fact that I'd obviously constructed the cane myself, and just the fact that it's a cane means it can be used as a weapon- maybe not a good one, but a weapon nevertheless.
Shinden
Veteran Poster

Post by Shinden »

Gauron wrote: Nothing too terrible, but having the panel feedback session in the con center made attending it past a certain time impossible. So maybe for next year have it in one of the hotel rooms so there isn't the issue of the center closing after a certain point, making it impossible for more ppl. to come in. I personally booked a late flight just to make sure I could make the feedback session, but it was all for naught. In any case, try putting it not in the con center for next year.
This. In previous years I was planning on attending the feedback panel, but the security personnel blocked us from even trying. One year, they actually wouldn't even let us stop in the hallway after we got out of the closing ceremonies, we had to get out the doors, and get out NOW. This was before 2013, too. We seriously felt like it was a pogrom.

I honestly wouldn't count on the Hynes for anything major anymore. You were right to move registration to the hotel, and feedback could probably stand going to one of the ballrooms in the hotel.
Sakura-chan wrote:After reading this thread further, I'm really, really glad I didn't have my prop confiscated, I didn't even realize that was occurring, and I never once went to the weapons check because I legitimately forgot..I only remembered halfway through Saturday and I had already been through the metal detectors with it twice by that point..None of them said a thing. x-x
Yeah, that's another issue. I know for certain that the prop GeStaPo was only active at the Prudential entrance, while the Boylston entrance had confiscated very few props, and I hear actually told a few people that they should "find some place to put that because we can't let it inside". So one side was protecting us from the dangers of balsa wood blades and ping pong balls while the other was relaxed and let people actually bring their props to a place for holding if they couldn't let them in.
guiiii
AB Staff

Post by guiiii »

HenshinNinjaArashiKage wrote:Alright, where to begin?

Staff identification- There has been more than a few times that I've had awkward or unpleasant interactions with the staff (Granted, this year there were two people who were actually AMAZING.) and going by some posts I see people feel the same. so instead of trying to awkwardly describe them, why not have them wear a badge that has a number or something on it? Like "ABSTAFF-2187" or at least a name rather than just "STAFF".

just my two cents.
HenshinNinjaArashiKage,

Thanks for the feedback.

All Anime Boston staff wear a badge which is slightly different from normal con attendees. If you feel like someone in staff was rude, you can always ask to see their badges and get their names. Then, if you want, stop by Anime Boston Security and fill out a complaint form.
Always tell the truth, even if you have to lie
Guilherme Z. Machado
AB Security Assistant Manager
06-07-08-09-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-X-X-23
guiiii
AB Staff

Post by guiiii »

Vanner wrote:
Why were entrances blocked in the first place? Are you trying to make OUR wait a lot longer than it has to be so that we don't want to go next year. The two entrances that WERE kept open were nothing but cramped and condensed and nearly gave me an anxiety attack the one time I had to be stuck in one of them. I would have understood if there weren't any metal detectors and bag checks at the closed entrances, but I could see the metal detector wands right there. Why were the full metal detectors implanted when it's basically useless with so many people going in with costumes decked out in metal? It made sense at the Pokemon tournament run in the same building earlier, but it was a total waste for an event like Anime Boston-- where a bomb or an actual gun being detected can easily be passed off as a metal compartment on a costume.
Vanner,

Thanks for the feedback.

What entrances were blocked? To my knowledge the only entrance that was closed intermittently was the Artist Alley entrance on the 3rd floor of the Sheraton. The reason the Artist Alley entrance was closed intermittently was due to the amount of people in the Sheraton 3rd floor and 2nd floor which posed a safety issue.
On Saturday the Hynes actually opened a 3rd entrance on Dalton Street to help get people into the Hynes quickly.

Regards
Always tell the truth, even if you have to lie
Guilherme Z. Machado
AB Security Assistant Manager
06-07-08-09-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-X-X-23
Victablook
Expert Poster

Post by Victablook »

Guiiii wrote: Vanner,

Thanks for the feedback.

What entrances were blocked? To my knowledge the only entrance that was closed intermittently was the Artist Alley entrance on the 3rd floor of the Sheraton. The reason the Artist Alley entrance was closed intermittently was due to the amount of people in the Sheraton 3rd floor and 2nd floor which posed a safety issue.
On Saturday the Hynes actually opened a 3rd entrance on Dalton Street to help get people into the Hynes quickly.

Regards
Oh, I had heard that two entrances were being blocked off to the public. I suppose that's an error on my part. But I nor my friend had not been alerted to the entrance on Dalton Street being opened by any of he security staff-- just the Boylston St entrance and the entrance inside the Pru. It was frustrating to see security closing off certain paths within the Pru to get to the Prudential entrance though-- since we were told we had no choice but to go outside and walk all the way around back to an entrance that would have been much quicker and more comfortable if we were allowed these indoor paths.

Basically, it was pretty inconsistent miscommunication.
2024:
tails (sonic)
ryuk (death note)
Rick
Expert Poster

Post by Rick »

Funny thing about being blocked off to the Sheraton entrance that I actually tried on Sunday.

I dressed up as Ichimatsu (because I didn't feel like doing Ellis and I'd just bought the hoodie the day before) and hid my badge in a bag I had (because I was done with the con anyway and was just meeting my friend outside the Artist's Alley to go to lunch). I went up to them and just said I was going to Dunkin Donuts and I got let through despite looking more like a con goer than anything. I did go to Dunkin, but I proceeded to scoot by and go into the con from there. Inconsistency!

I have seen some posts about writing to Mass lawmakers, but what can out-of-staters really do about this whole security thing? I'm personally really not happy (as well as a lot of other people), and I don't know what I can do since I live out of state other than I feel like I'm SOL. I also haven't seen any con staff really say anything about this either despite other concerns, so I'm hoping someone's going to be addressing this issue soon?
"I ever tell you about the time my buddy Keith went to Anime Boston?"
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

Shinden wrote:
Gauron wrote: Nothing too terrible, but having the panel feedback session in the con center made attending it past a certain time impossible. So maybe for next year have it in one of the hotel rooms so there isn't the issue of the center closing after a certain point, making it impossible for more ppl. to come in. I personally booked a late flight just to make sure I could make the feedback session, but it was all for naught. In any case, try putting it not in the con center for next year.
This. In previous years I was planning on attending the feedback panel, but the security personnel blocked us from even trying. One year, they actually wouldn't even let us stop in the hallway after we got out of the closing ceremonies, we had to get out the doors, and get out NOW. This was before 2013, too. We seriously felt like it was a pogrom.
Good luck. I raised this very issue back in 2009 (see below). I find it disheartening that this is still a problem.

viewtopic.php?f=93&t=8463&p=132213#p132213
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Gauron

Post by Gauron »

Oh, almost forgot, PLEASE disable the star rating system for panels/events in the Guidebook! It's an unreliable method to use for truly judging the value/success of an event, w33b "animu experts" &/or trolls tend to just abuse this to leave negative ratings just 'cause, & even if it's a higher rating, it still doesn't tell you anything specific one way or the other about the panel (3/5 stars, what did/didn't you like???). Instead, just have a survey those interested can fill out about panels, etc. & disable it altogether. Additionally, it's just more excuses for annoying whiny w33bs to avoid going directly to the panelist, rather in person or via social media, & telling them their feedback. Always hated the star rating system & it still irks me to see cons enabling this feature.
~~
dj Date Masamune
Panel Site: https://djdatemasamune.wordpress.com/
LadyTuesday

Post by LadyTuesday »

I too had problems with security, specifically regarding the medical detectors.

I was wearing a medical device, and even though the detectors aren't supposed to interfere, the lab which the device was from advised against it.

I emailed Anime Boston security expressing my concerns, and Shamus emailed me back saying it was OK, and that security is instructed that they could give pat downs instead of wanding/going through the detectors.

Fast forward to Saturday and I'm finally in line to go to AB. I tell the security officer of my concern and say "I cannot be wanded or go through the detector because I'm wearing a medical device. Please pat me down."
The officer says, "It's OK." And I think awesome, that went off without a hitch, and before I can even blink they immediately start wanding me like I'd said nothing. The device starts beeping like crazy and restarts. Complete disregard for our exchange, and they didn't apologize. I had to step aside and call the lab to reset the medical device. This was at the Boylston St entrance.

I leave for lunch, and come back, expecting more trouble. I went again through the Boylston St entrance. I said the exact same thing to the officer (a different one). They let me right through, but didn't pat me down or check my bags, which I found unnerving.

On Sunday morning, I again went in the Boylston St entrance. This was the one time my entrance went off perfectly. I expressed my concerns, and an officer pat me down while they checked my bag. No problems, except there was one officer who tried to stick his wand out at me half-heartedly but I side-stepped and kept walking.

When I came back after lunch, again Boylston St entrance, I tell the officer my concerns. They say OK, have me step around the detectors which are now in place, and begin searching my bags. The officer steps towards me with his wand, and I say please don't use that and pat me down instead, I'm wearing a medical device. He tells me he won't get it, and begins wanding me anyways. I grab the device and start moving my arm around to keep it away from the want, asking him to please stop and it interferes and will re-start it. He doesn't listen, and complains that I'm moving my arm around. It was ridiculous.

ALSO lines in the game room needed to be better managed. My friend and I waited 45 minutes in the line for the light up cube game because 2 friends kept hogging one of the machines and monopolized it for over half an hour (they were there before we got there, no idea how long they were actually there).
stargazera5

Post by stargazera5 »

Another general thought on the Guidebook App. It would be really useful to have a landscape/grid view that shows everything happening at a specific time, much like the schedule we get in the con newsletter. Yes it may require scrolling to view across and this form of scrolling is usually considered bad mobile design, but this is one case where I think the standard rules get in the way. As it stands, trying to figure out what is happening at a specific time means scrolling back to earlier time blocks to figure out what is still running.

I did look in the App developer's site and didn't see any place to post suggestions. If AB can do so, that would be great.
ABos '03,'04,'05,'06,'07,'08,'09,'10,'11,'12,'13,'14,'15,'16 & Providence Anime Conference
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

stargazera5 wrote:Another general thought on the Guidebook App. It would be really useful to have a landscape/grid view that shows everything happening at a specific time, much like the schedule we get in the con newsletter. Yes it may require scrolling to view across and this form of scrolling is usually considered bad mobile design, but this is one case where I think the standard rules get in the way. As it stands, trying to figure out what is happening at a specific time means scrolling back to earlier time blocks to figure out what is still running.

I did look in the App developer's site and didn't see any place to post suggestions. If AB can do so, that would be great.
Their development team and their social media team are responsive to suggestions. I've personally asked them about this in the past for other cons, but the more people that request the feature, the more likely they are to think there's a call for it.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
foreverfinn
Veteran Poster

Post by foreverfinn »

Painted_Outlaw wrote:
Mina Finn wrote:
Painted_Outlaw wrote:
Ohh. What confused me is/was you saying they went off on "everyone" and I was like "Um...". :lol:
What I meant was it went off on way too many people for it to be useful.
AB 2018 Cosplay Lineup

Next Con

???

Instagram

@forever.withyoursoul
Fangreaper
Expert Poster

Post by Fangreaper »

So 8 year con veteran here and I haven't had much to complain about until now:

The ugly:

Linecon 2016 2 its back again with a vengeance. Security was ridiculous I am sure that I'm not the only one who's going to say that the hynes staff made me feel like a convict. But that's not my gripe its with the props check. I have a wooden master sword that has a very thin blade so the past two years I've brought it in I managed to get it through security. This year on friday my bf and I after waiting an hour in line to get through the detectors we were very rudely man handled through the bag checks and directed over to prop check. The woman working the table took the sword out of my bf's hand and proceeded to press the sword tip, which mind you was a rounded tip not pointy, very firmly against the palm of her hand. Any more force and she could have broken my sword or hurt herself. The woman said she had to hold the sword until we were ready to leave because it was solid wood. That would have been ok.

Then while we were walking around we saw people who also had solid wood weapons walking around the con hall who when asked told me they went through other entrances other than the main pru entrance. There was absolutely no consistency with prop inspection and no respect for people's property.

Ok I know the food vendor is contracted to the hynes but that's no excuse to charge $3.50 for a soda and $9.00 for a plain hamburger! Not even like a meal combo or a deluxe hamburger! Negotiate something because I ate strup (or strupe idk spelling) waffles and any left over pastries I got from closing at my work two days prior for three days because I refused to pay the food vendor's prices. Also one of the vendor's booths had a burger listed for $8.00 but when my bf got to the register they said it was $9.00!

The bad:

The Todd Habercorn (sorry about sp.) panel on saturday was held at the same time as the masquerade and in the same hall as the balcony seating. The line was getting crazy long so the ab staff told the balcony seating line to disburse. Not to move but disburse... Then we were told to go away and come back in a half hour. My bf and I left and came back and found the line growing stretching down the third floor hallway. I walked to the front of the line to say hi to a friend who was first in line and she was now about 35th in line. Not fair or cool...

The good:

Always great to see the ab staff work hard for this event I love coming out and having a good time. Successful first con with my bf we had a wonderful weekend despite my gripes.
B-kun is better than A-chan change my mind...

If you got one of my business cards at the con please hit me up on etsy! The Daft Hatter Crafting is open for business and my first sale will get a very cool gift!
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

royalbakaness wrote:
According to AB prop policy:
Unapproved items will be will be cataloged and stored. Upon exit of the convention center, the owner may reclaim it. Any item found to violate city, state, or federal law may not be returned at the discretion of the Boston Police Department.

So, if one of the prop checks was just chucking them into the trash, they were going against policy.
I say it every year: AB & MCCA need to work on their communication and co-ordination. Until they get that straightened out, we shall all continue to have problems.
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

Fetch wrote:According to AB prop policy:
Unapproved items will be will be cataloged and stored. Upon exit of the convention center, the owner may reclaim it. Any item found to violate city, state, or federal law may not be returned at the discretion of the Boston Police Department.

So, if one of the prop checks was just chucking them into the trash, they were going against policy.
I say it every year: AB & MCCA need to work on their communication and co-ordination. Until they get that straightened out, we shall all continue to have problems.
Yeah, I tend to get anxious if I'm not fully prepared for things (dang social anxiety), so I try to make myself very familiar with the policies. That's why this inconsistency with props is unnerving. I trust the AB staff to handle things well; they've yet to let me down. And hey, if they say I can't bring something in, that's fine, but let me bring it back to my room. I'm willing to wait in line again if it means protecting my props/cosplays that I've worked so hard on.
coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

GeekyPanda404 wrote:There definitely was a major flaw with the Dealer's Room line on Friday. I was with a friend and we decided to use our CrunchyRoll perk to get in early. Sadly we got there and it was almost time for the public to get in.

Now this is where it gets really ugly. I did see a line being wrapped around the wall area but you had alot of people crowding the main entrance of the Dealers room by the Security Metal Detectors. Most of em were just regular pass con goers. My friend and I had a very hard time trying to get through the crowd to show our CrunchyRoll Premium badges to get in. When we got close to the door, the Dealers Room "officially" opened to the public.

Now combining the crowd that was camping the entrance with the long line of people and only one door way opened you had a very bad bottle-neck happening. People were kinda pushing each other to get in and it was almost like a zerg rush happening. My friend got in first and I managed to get in close behind her until Security decided to stop the line at the entrance to slowly manage the flow of traffic.

Overall you guys needed to have more people at the entrance area to enforce and contain the rushers, someone could of definitely gotten hurt (but luckily I don't think anyone did) and someone with anxiety/crowd issues would of had a really bad time.

I managed to record a small clip of the chaos here,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy293mafq80
THIS THIS THIS!!!!!! OMG I cannot agree with this post enough. This was absolutely ridiculous on Friday in terms of letting people in! I felt like it was like getting into a Best Buy on Black Friday in terms of how quickly people were crowding up the only two door entrance to the ENTIRE dealer's room on Friday!!!

In terms of my feedback on everything else, here's my breakdown of things:

Security wise, the Hynes could've done a MUCH better job at handling things if you ask me. I felt like most people learned the hard way in terms of being stuck in line (Linecon 2.0!) for a LONG time just to get into the convention. Granted, probably 75% of the people trying to get in were using the front entrance inside the prudential center, while people like myself were using the other entrances provided to get in, which there happened to be almost NO line. I wish more people knew about the other entrances, it would make things flow a lot more evenly throughout the whole con and leave a lot less people frustrated.

The metal detectors were a joke if you ask me. The main entrance again seemed to enforce the detectors more than the other entrances, and I feel like the security were all over the place in terms of who took things seriously and who didn't.

As for everything else, I don't really have any complaints honestly. I got to have a blast during the whole con (except for being sick on Friday), all the staff were incredibly helpful in terms of helping me with my panels, and I got to meet some of my favorite guests too. Oh yeah, I won the Rocket League video game tournament on Sunday!

I've been going to this convention for 11 years now, and I don't think anything will be as bad as Linecon 2008 if you ask me at least in terms of getting into the convention. This one came pretty close though.

So in the end, aside from the major security flaw, this year's convention was amazing in my opinion. :)
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
ZeekdaPhreek

Post by ZeekdaPhreek »

Ok, I have to say something about this issue with cosplayers and the weather. Did it, at any freaking point, occur to ANYONE COSPLAYING, that having a jacket wouldn’t be such a bad idea to have?

How bleep ---- are you people to have this entitlement attitude, that you fully believe, without any doubts, you could dress half naked and the weather was not going to bother you at all standing in line? Are you (cosplayers who didn’t “dress” for the occasion) that damn ------ to not know how weather works? Are you seriously bleeping at the AB staff, about an element, NO ONE IN THE WHOLE-ENTIRE-WORLD, has control over? Are you freaking kidding me?
I mean, isn’t it Cosplay Survival one-bleeping- zero-one, to prepare yourself, and your costume, for the elements that might hinder your idea of a perfect time cosplaying at the convention? Apparently not!
Look, I’m the kinda guy that has a jacket in my car at all seasons of the year. Sure, it might be summer, but you NEVER KNOW when I might need a jacket in the summer time. It’s best to be prepared for those things than to not have it at all when you need it.
Also, how is it mine, the AB staff, or other con-goers fault that you wanted to dress half naked that day for your cosplay, in the New England temps of March? I certainly didn’t tell you to dress that way, so I feel ZERO empathy for your complaining. I would assume you people would have some brain cell of common sense to check the weather while you were there, JUST IN CASE, you had to be outside for a period of time.
I can tell you, I wore a jacket when I was outside, and I wasn’t half naked while doing so, and I had a STUPENDOUS TIME at Anime Boston. You know why, because I didn’t put myself in a position to bitch about elements that were not, or in anyone else’s, control, because I was prepared. The fault is not the convention if you were outside freezing, it was you, and YOU ALONE! So, cut that out, and take some responsibility for your actions for how you dressed.
I hope to see everyone’s cheerful faces next year!!!!
"Make Anime Boston Great Again!" - ZeekdaPhreek, April 1st, 2016
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

ok I'll say this once

agree or disagree, right or wrong, keep it civil
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Fangreaper
Expert Poster

Post by Fangreaper »

ZeekdaPhreek wrote:Ok, I have to say something about this issue with cosplayers and the weather. Did it, at any freaking point, occur to ANYONE COSPLAYING, that having a jacket wouldn’t be such a bad idea to have?

How bleep ---- are you people to have this entitlement attitude, that you fully believe, without any doubts, you could dress half naked and the weather was not going to bother you at all standing in line? Are you (cosplayers who didn’t “dress” for the occasion) that damn ------ to not know how weather works? Are you seriously bleeping at the AB staff, about an element, NO ONE IN THE WHOLE-ENTIRE-WORLD, has control over? Are you freaking kidding me?
I mean, isn’t it Cosplay Survival one-bleeping- zero-one, to prepare yourself, and your costume, for the elements that might hinder your idea of a perfect time cosplaying at the convention? Apparently not!
Look, I’m the kinda guy that has a jacket in my car at all seasons of the year. Sure, it might be summer, but you NEVER KNOW when I might need a jacket in the summer time. It’s best to be prepared for those things than to not have it at all when you need it.
Also, how is it mine, the AB staff, or other con-goers fault that you wanted to dress half naked that day for your cosplay, in the New England temps of March? I certainly didn’t tell you to dress that way, so I feel ZERO empathy for your complaining. I would assume you people would have some brain cell of common sense to check the weather while you were there, JUST IN CASE, you had to be outside for a period of time.
I can tell you, I wore a jacket when I was outside, and I wasn’t half naked while doing so, and I had a STUPENDOUS TIME at Anime Boston. You know why, because I didn’t put myself in a position to bitch about elements that were not, or in anyone else’s, control, because I was prepared. The fault is not the convention if you were outside freezing, it was you, and YOU ALONE! So, cut that out, and take some responsibility for your actions for how you dressed.
Because some people are traveling and don't want to carry coats n stuff on top of a bag and any cosplay props? And it wasn't the weather that got people upset it was being made to wait in such weather
B-kun is better than A-chan change my mind...

If you got one of my business cards at the con please hit me up on etsy! The Daft Hatter Crafting is open for business and my first sale will get a very cool gift!
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

When the Hynes Convention Center was build it was designed to get large numbers of people in and out. It was not designed for bag check and metal detectors. If you just add bag check it creates a line backup into the Mall. For the Hynes Convention Center to be financially viable it must book most of the space all of the time. There will be large numbers of people moving in and out of the Hynes most of the time. If bag check and metal detectors are going to be the new standard then the Hynes building needs to me modified.

Other major events are going to have the same problem as Anime Boston has.

For AB2015 to cut down on wait time they double up on bag checker, two per table, at the Hynes Mall entrance. They need twice the bag check metal detectors lines. There isn't the space for that. This would require modifying the building.

If Hynes Convention Center management does not do something about this, promoters will stop booking the Hynes for big events.

If only Anime Boston is subject to bag check and metal detectors? That is a very different problem.
Badge name THX1139 not cosplaying.
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

Here goes...

The Good: Hands down, the best thing about this year was the conduct of Anime Boston volunteers and security. Without exception, every blue and orange shirt I came across was friendly and competent. The dealer's room and Artist's Alley were bustling and crowded, but not to the point of paralysis. The panels I attended were well run and well staffed, as were the lines i found myself in. There were water coolers everywhere we turned, and they were always full. Once you got inside the Hynes (no mean feat, I assure you), AB clearly had its act together. Con organizers should be proud.

The Bad: That has to be the food in the Hynes cafeteria. A hot dog, fries, a tiny Chinese carry-out box with a bit of chicken and veggies, and one bottled water for over $20! And the Chinese food was so undercooked that my wife threw it out.

The Ugly: I think the worst thing about this year was not the security screenings and forced lines, but the "bunker mentality" it created. It left my wife and I utterly distracted with figuring out exactly when (and in what direction!) to leave the Hynes so that we could preserve even a shred of a normal convention schedule. To help us cope, we resorted to instant oatmeal and ramen, using the coffee maker in our [Sheraton] hotel room for hot water. The one thing that saved our weekend was the Sheraton/Artists Alley door--that is, if you could put up with not knowing if it was available from one minute to the next (in fairness, we had this issue only on Saturday). I firmly believe that if we hadn't (1) pre-reged and (2) checked in on Thursday and got our badges that night, the whole weekend could have been a disaster.

Yet, despite it all, we still managed to have a good time. I got to see two panels I've never caught before, and got to see Monica Rial again (yay!) Went to several screenings, got some great Blu-rays and figurines, and added to my sizable pin collection. And as a sign of hope for the future, we've pre-reged for 2017.

One more detail: informing us about the metal detectors only four days before con opened was not appreciated. However, if AB itself didn't know about it until the last minute, please let us know! I'm not in habit of blaming people for something they're not responsible for.
Last edited by Master of NERV on Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

Can Anime Boston leverage the TSA Pre-Check card? People with the card are considered low risk. It does cost $80 to get one, once every 5 years. Plus you can use it at airports.

There could be an express lane for people with a members badge and TSA card. Maybe no bag check or metal detector. You can swipe the card on the way in.

Many people go every year to Anime Boston. There could be a known members card with a annual fee to cover the cost. They would use the same card every year to gain access to the event. It would have their real name on the card. They would still pick up a badge with their charter name on it.

A known member card and/or a TSA card should get them pasted bag check and metal detectors.

Anyone can be a terrorist. Someone in the private security staff hired for the event could be a terrorist.

When I use the word terrorist I include home grown terrorists like the nut case at Pokemon event.

One more comment, security is not free.
Last edited by THX1139 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
skipper
I'm new!

Post by skipper »

ZeekdaPhreek wrote:Ok, I have to say something about this issue with cosplayers and the weather. Did it, at any freaking point, occur to ANYONE COSPLAYING, that having a jacket wouldn’t be such a bad idea to have?

I had a north face, thick leggings, and boots on and I was still cold waiting in line lol (and I wasn't even cosplaying). Wearing more will just be wayyy too hot when you finally do get inside the convention. I do understand that people should've been aware of the weather (I personally checked twice a day for a month before the convention hahah), but as a first time con-goer, I thought all the line waiting would have been inside. Especially ppl who booked the Sheraton probably didn't expect to go outdoors at all.
Victablook
Expert Poster

Post by Victablook »

Putting aside the fact that this response is very condescending and rude and borderline shaming, I wasn't walking around half-naked and my knees were still shaking during the time I was outside. I was well covered with my cosplay that even included a warm jacket, with my thighs being the only thing exposed considering I had a skirt and knee high socks on. Reasonable to your standards, I suppose, right? Well, it was STILL cold to the point I was shaking. So please don't blame the cosplayer's choice to go as any character no matter how scantily clad they were-- because this year's security was pretty bad with handling the traffic without taking the congoers safety and comfort into consideration, and no one wants to lug a jacket around when they already have other things to carry-- like a bag or a heavy prop.
2024:
tails (sonic)
ryuk (death note)
Sakura-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sakura-chan »

Prooobably because some of us traveled from 3+ hours away and were already packed to the brim, not to mention that AB has traditionally been an INDOOR event and that some of us book the Sheraton specifically so we do not have to travel outside in unpredictable early spring weather. And there's also the fact that once you finally get IN to the convention center, you're roasting in the heat of thousands of bodies moving around and are then stuck to carry your jacket, prop, or whatever merch you end up buying. I was cold waiting 20+ minutes in line to get in on Saturday afternoon, and I was by no means "half naked." And I didn't even drive to the convention, I took Amtrak. I am one person and I can only carry so much.

Its easy to tell people who don't cosplay to just "wear more layers" or "bring a jacket" but, um..A lot of us are cosplayers, and that's not easy for most of us. In fact, I saw a few costumes where it would be downright impossible for them to have worn or carried a jacket of any kind..
'06: Sakura (Naruto)
'07: Sakura (Naruto)
'09: Hungary (Hetalia)
'13: Euphemia (Code Geass, for the Spirit Ball!), Rachel Alucard (Blazblue)
'16: Saber EXTRA (Fate/EXTRA), Rose Quartz (SU)
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

New England weather can chill you to the bone. It's the combination of wind, rain and cold. I felt sorry for the cosplayers standing in line in the cold rain. Also their costume was getting wet. If their makeup was not waterproof that could be a problem. I took pics of them standing in line in the rain.

I thing woman did consider the weather. I saw a lots of great looking full length dresses. I had to stop and talk to them, and tell them how great looking their dress was. I took pictures of them. I saw some men who were half naked. One guy had only boxer shorts on!!!! I didn't take a pic of him.

I felt a little guilty for using the Sheraton secret door, as I call it. I was in an out all day. It opened at 10:00 am.

If possible cosplayers should wait inside. Non-cosplayers could wait outside. Maybe non-cosplayer would be required to use the Boylston street entrance.
Shinden
Veteran Poster

Post by Shinden »

Fun fact: you can go from downtown Manhattan to the Hynes without ever setting foot outdoors.

Also looks as if you don't appreciate cosplayers or their work. I mean, I can remember a couple dozen cosplay where "wear a jacket you're stupid blah blah blah" just doesn't work.
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

ZeekdaPhreek wrote:lots of words
Just an FYI, it's not all about being "half-naked." I was wearing a cosplay on Saturday that covered me quite thoroughly. However, I was wearing boots that were not fun to climb uphill in, nor were they comfortable to stand in on hard surfaces like pavement (despite having all sorts of inserts and such) for long periods of time. On top of that, the wind outside is killer on wigs, and I had a long wig on that I had to try to hold so that it wouldn't become ridiculously tangled while also holding my dress's hem up so I wouldn't step on it. And to be fair, I never had to wait outside for very long; I was just walking to the Boylston Street entrance, and it was still tough. So I have great pity for other cosplayers who had to wait for long periods of time outside.