IMPORTANT - Prudential Center Food Court Closing 6/25/2015

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

IMPORTANT - Prudential Center Food Court Closing 6/25/2015

Post by Aurabolt »

I just found out on Facebook. Here is the article: http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... l#comments

And for those who don't want to click:

Say goodbye to Panda Express, Boston Chowda Co, and Cheeseboy as culinary reprieves from the Prudential Center crowds. The shopping center’s food court is set to close after business hours June 25 in preparation for the construction of Eataly, according to Rebecca Rosello, marketing manager for Boston Properties.

Eataly is not just a restaurant: It’s an entire Italian marketplace. The retail and restaurant hybrid features fresh produce, grocery aisles, food counters, and dining. Founded in Italy in 2007 by businessman Oscar Farinetti, there’s now 27 locations worldwide.

Eataly executives signed a 15-year lease with Boston Properties to build the $20 million emporium at the Pru last month, according to The Boston Globe.

Nicola Farinetti, Oscar Farinetti’s son, told the Globe he hopes the 44,000-square-foot market—which will stretch over three floors—will attract about 5 million visitors a year.

The Pru location, slated to open in 2016, will be the third U.S. Eataly. Celebrity chef and restaurateur Mario Batali helped bring the business stateside.

Batali is no stranger to Boston; He opened his Babbo Pizzeria restaurant in the Seaport District this past April.

...Note the parts I bolded. As I said on Facebook last night, prepare accordingly!

Of the places going away I could see Ben & Jerry's, The Cheeseboy, Qdoba, Panda Express and maybe Sarku Japan and Flamers coming back in a nearby location. One can only hope.

The main reason the PRU aggressively pursued getting Eataly is the bottom line: There ahave been two vacant stalls in the food court for months. The deal is good for 15 years to boot so...yeah. Time will tell.
Last edited by Aurabolt on Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Mamacass
Veteran Poster

Re: IMPORTANT - Prudential Center Food Court Closing 6/25/2015

Post by Mamacass »

Who knows?
maybe it'll be a good thing?
(eventually)
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

How? We're going from a variety of options to just one choice.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Mamacass
Veteran Poster

Post by Mamacass »

I mean eventually.
Right now (well, in 2016) it's going to Suck!!!
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

See the General Questions forum thread 'what does "eataly" mean for ab2016?', which has been discussing this topic for a while.
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

don't get me wrong, I loved the food court, but my family and I go to the one in new York City, and the fact that this one is going to be bigger then the one in New York city makes me kind of exited. (even though i may decide to ditch ab if i can find another convention around march that's close to me) but it'll be a great addition to the mall cross my heart, and it'll be big enough to walk around in (i hope) and lots of sweets and yummy food.

i loved the pasta and pizza bar at the one in new York city! So my inner foodie is sort of squealing right now ^^;
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

Well at least there will still be pizza. Everyone likes pizza, I guess.
Regina's Pizza had been just as busy as Panda Express every con year and the other shops for that matter. A slice of pizza has been an easy fast, go to food choice, and I've seen a lot of attendees just have straight pizza all weekend. I just hope the prices aren't too high in this new Eataly thing. And as boring as it is to eat the same kind of food three days in a row, I'm sure there will be more options than just pasta. They just gotta have more options. Maybe they'll have sandwiches too.

Other than that, it's time to strategize here people. I'm anxious to see how they'll receive us otaku/con goers when it's time for the convention 2016.
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

...Eataly won't be open in time for AB 2016. We'll have to find food somewhere else other than the former food court site.
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

6 months left to figure out how much extra time you will need to get from AB to where food is.

The closest place outside the Hynes (what that little cafeteria charges is insane) is The Pour House. It's right across Boylston St. So you can just use those doors (front of building) to get in and out instead of dealing with the crazy mess that is the Pru side entrance. Yes, Boylston entrance still has bag check, but since fewer people use that door, the is barely a line there for most of AB.
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

Fetch wrote:6 months left to figure out how much extra time you will need to get from AB to where food is.

The closest place outside the Hynes (what that little cafeteria charges is insane) is The Pour House. It's right across Boylston St. So you can just use those doors (front of building) to get in and out instead of dealing with the crazy mess that is the Pru side entrance. Yes, Boylston entrance still has bag check, but since fewer people use that door, the is barely a line there for most of AB.
Isn't that only for people over 21 though? I was ID checked to get in. Not a problem for me, obviously, but a problem for some of my roommates and a loy of other attendees as well.

That said, the food there is really good and very affordable.

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

GinjaNinja wrote:
Fetch wrote:6 months left to figure out how much extra time you will need to get from AB to where food is.

Isn't that only for people over 21 though? I was ID checked to get in. Not a problem for me, obviously, but a problem for some of my roommates and a loy of other attendees as well.

That seems to be a bit random. I've gone in there many times and was only asked for ID once and that was when I sat at the bar because there were no tables open. I do know that if you order alcohol, you will be asked for your ID, no matter your age.
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

Fetch wrote:
GinjaNinja wrote:

That seems to be a bit random. I've gone in there many times and was only asked for ID once and that was when I sat at the bar because there were no tables open. I do know that if you order alcohol, you will be asked for your ID, no matter your age.
Interesting. They made me scan my ID to get in when I went. It was later at night, though if that matters.

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

The Anime on DVD meet-up went to lunch at The Pour House in 2005, and had a good time. This past con my friends and I tried to to have dinner there on Thursday night, but were not admitted (IIRC they were full), so we went next door, to what the guide says is McGreevy's, and that was good. We did have to show ID.
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

I have a question about the Cheesecake Factory, has it gotten any easier for anyone to get a table at the Cheesecake factory sooner without having to wait a long long time? I remember back in 2008, 2009 my group and I attempting to have a meal there but the wait time was tremendous. And there was a huge line. And every year after that we've seen somewhat of a long line at the Cheesecake Factory and just didn't bother to go. Making a reservation would be a good call, but seeing as we have to look for other options. I want to see if attempting to eat there would be worth trying again.
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

Nenie wrote:I have a question about the Cheesecake Factory, has it gotten any easier for anyone to get a table at the Cheesecake factory sooner without having to wait a long long time?
This year I was only there to get dessert via take out, and there was a long line for tables, as well as for cheesecake take out. Have you considered California Pizza Kitchen? Their wait times haven't been too bad (for lunch, at least) in past years.
waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Post by waynoinsano »

Nenie wrote:I have a question about the Cheesecake Factory, has it gotten any easier for anyone to get a table at the Cheesecake factory sooner without having to wait a long long time?
If it's anything like the one near me in Providence,RI on a weekend expect atleast an hour wait during the 3-9 pm hours, and that is without any special events bringing close to 24k extra people looking for food into the area. Also in Providence no call ahead reservations unless you have a large group 4 or 6 + I believe, dunno if chain wide or others have different rules.
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

DocWatson wrote:
This year I was only there to get dessert via take out, and there was a long line for tables, as well as for cheesecake take out. Have you considered California Pizza Kitchen? Their wait times haven't been too bad (for lunch, at least) in past years.
I have been to the California Pizza, many times during the con years and gotten a table right away with my group. But this year we realized the pizza there is not enough for us anymore. Especially for the price we're paying. It's still good, but the size of the slices and the amount of slices are not worth the price for us. That and my group is stingy when it comes to money lol. But we'll see about going there again.
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

Nenie wrote:
DocWatson wrote:Have you considered California Pizza Kitchen? Their wait times haven't been too bad (for lunch, at least) in past years.
I have been to the California Pizza, many times during the con years and gotten a table right away with my group. But this year we realized the pizza there is not enough for us anymore. Especially for the price we're paying. It's still good, but the size of the slices and the amount of slices are not worth the price for us. That and my group is stingy when it comes to money lol. But we'll see about going there again.
I wasn't actually thinking of their pizza (about which I tend to agree with you), but their pasta and other entrees.

FYI: In the past they only took same-day reservations.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

There's also this thread where folks have posted alot of food suggestions in the area: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16854
Aurabolt's Anime Blog