Japanese food in the center/mall.

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Japanese food in the center/mall.

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

i was wondering if there was any sushi places with in walking distance that was good. Like there was a bubble tea place last year or the year before that was stuck in the side of the mall ...is that still there?

also is there anything with in walking distance for Thursday night (maybe tai take out or something like that?)
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
winterwing3000
AB Alumni

Re: Japanese food in the center/mall.

Post by winterwing3000 »

Spirit_Girl01 wrote:i was wondering if there was any sushi places with in walking distance that was good. Like there was a bubble tea place last year or the year before that was stuck in the side of the mall ...is that still there?

also is there anything with in walking distance for Thursday night (maybe tai take out or something like that?)
There's Douzo in the Back Bay, right outside of the orange line train station. It is on the pricier side of sushi, but well worth the meal. There's also Symphony Sushi (near Symphony Hall) and Rice Bowl (across the street of Berklee College of Music) nearby.

For Thai food, I recommend Pad Thai cafe (cafeteria style) or Pho Basil. Both are within a 5 minute walk from Hynes Convention Center.

Hope that helps!
Elisa Cheng
Security Staff '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18

--
"Steel is my body, fire is my blood..." - Archer, Fate/Stay Night (Unlimited Blade Works incantation)
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Surprised you didn't mention Wagamana, which was one of Anime Boston's partners for the last few years. It's a bit mainstream but the food is authentic, affordable and good. There's a location in the mall a few doors down from Pinkberry, which is right across from the Microsoft Store.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

Wagamama = SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!! :D

Also, check out the Cherry Mart on Newbury Street too, right across the street from Newbury comics. It's a mini Asian mart that sells a lot of Japanese food.
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
winterwing3000
AB Alumni

Post by winterwing3000 »

Aurabolt wrote:Surprised you didn't mention Wagamana, which was one of Anime Boston's partners for the last few years. It's a bit mainstream but the food is authentic, affordable and good. There's a location in the mall a few doors down from Pinkberry, which is right across from the Microsoft Store.
wagamama is an affordable option, but personally I sigh when I have to go there. Not the biggest fan unfortunately.

If you don't mind traveling a bit, Genki Ya at Boylston is great in portions at fairer prices.
Elisa Cheng
Security Staff '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18

--
"Steel is my body, fire is my blood..." - Archer, Fate/Stay Night (Unlimited Blade Works incantation)
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

As long as I don't need to drive (for I don't own a car) there is no place I will not go to eat =O

...Are you buying?

J/K, I'll check it out sometime soon ^_^
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Aurabolt wrote:As long as I don't need to drive (for I don't own a car) there is no place I will not go to eat =O

...Are you buying?

J/K, I'll check it out sometime soon ^_^
Drive? In Boston? LOL.

One can walk from the Back Bay to Downtown in about an hour. Possibly a half hour if you are lucky enough to not have to wait for long waves of traffic to pass.
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

i'm not going to far out of my way in boston and i think the one Aurabolt was the one i was thinking of glad to know it's still alive ^^;

i'm looking for something that's open after 9:00pm to go to that's (inside the mall/food court)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Spirit_Girl01 wrote:i'm not going to far out of my way in boston and i think the one Aurabolt was the one i was thinking of glad to know it's still alive ^^;

i'm looking for something that's open after 9:00pm to go to that's (inside the mall/food court)
That is a problem. The Pru mall closes at 9.
Cheesecake Factory, P.F. Chang's, Haru, and 5 Napkin Burger are all open until 11.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Hmm...I'll have to check on that. I'm sure they were open past 9:00PM Saturday the last 2 years. I've definitely eaten dinner at Wagamama after 9:00PM before though not during Con weekend.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

GeekyPanda404
Experienced Poster

Post by GeekyPanda404 »

There is a Sushi place that does deliver to the Hotel Rooms but can't remember the name of it for the life of me. Please avoid that Japanese food place in the food court of the mall. Friend had food poisoning there.
AB 2017 COSPLAYS - "Soldier 76 "Strike-Commander Skin" Overwatch / "XOF Soldier" Metal Gear Solid 5

The Geeky Panda Blog
DemonGirl-Setsuna
Veteran Poster

Post by DemonGirl-Setsuna »

The hours of Wagamama are; Mon-Wed: 11am-10pm, Thurs-Sat: 11am-11pm & Sun: 11am-10pm. (Info from the AB 2013 & 2014 Guidebooks)
GeekyPanda404 wrote:Please avoid that Japanese food place in the food court of the mall. Friend had food poisoning there.
Do you mean Saku Japan?
AB 2024 Cosplay(s);

~ To be Announced... ~

Been attending Anime Boston since 2010!
*Survived the Con Depression of 2020-2021*
GeekyPanda404
Experienced Poster

Post by GeekyPanda404 »

DemonGirl-Setsuna wrote:The hours of Wagamama are; Mon-Wed: 11am-10pm, Thurs-Sat: 11am-11pm & Sun: 11am-10pm. (Info from the AB 2013 & 2014 Guidebooks)
GeekyPanda404 wrote:Please avoid that Japanese food place in the food court of the mall. Friend had food poisoning there.
Do you mean Saku Japan?
Sarku Japan yeh.
AB 2017 COSPLAYS - "Soldier 76 "Strike-Commander Skin" Overwatch / "XOF Soldier" Metal Gear Solid 5

The Geeky Panda Blog
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

[quote="GeekyPanda404"][quote="DemonGirl-Setsuna"]The hours of Wagamama are; Mon-Wed: 11am-10pm, Thurs-Sat: 11am-11pm & Sun: 11am-10pm. (Info from the AB 2013 & 2014 Guidebooks)

thank you very much!

i'd never get sakura sushi unless i was extreamily desperate -_-; also i was talking about Wagama! <3

the question has been answered if you'd like, you may close it!
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

Hielostar
Experienced Poster

Post by Hielostar »

winterwing3000 wrote:
Spirit_Girl01 wrote:i was wondering if there was any sushi places with in walking distance that was good. Like there was a bubble tea place last year or the year before that was stuck in the side of the mall ...is that still there?

There's Douzo in the Back Bay, right outside of the orange line train station. It is on the pricier side of sushi, but well worth the meal. There's also Symphony Sushi (near Symphony Hall) and Rice Bowl (across the street of Berklee College of Music) nearby.
Symphony Sushi is a reasonably priced choice within walking distance. Rice Bowl can be a bit of a mixed bag at times (used to go a few times with friends since we all went to college in Boston) - maybe they've changed things up a bit since I've been there last!
GeekyPanda404 wrote:There is a Sushi place that does deliver to the Hotel Rooms but can't remember the name of it for the life of me. Please avoid that Japanese food place in the food court of the mall. Friend had food poisoning there.
Building on this point, if you're willing to go for delivery to the hotel, definitely check out foodler.com - you can search out a lot of places in Boston (even those that don't typically do delivery) and can have food delivered to the hotel. I took advantage of this last year - ordered some sushi from my favorite place in Boston (Fin's in Kenmore Square) and had it in my hands in the Sheraton lobby within an hour.
/ænɪme bɔstɪn/ 2006-2022

2022: Your favorite Zaku girl selling model kits in the Dealer’s Room!
GeekyPanda404
Experienced Poster

Post by GeekyPanda404 »

Hielostar wrote:
winterwing3000 wrote:

Symphony Sushi is a reasonably priced choice within walking distance. Rice Bowl can be a bit of a mixed bag at times (used to go a few times with friends since we all went to college in Boston) - maybe they've changed things up a bit since I've been there last!
GeekyPanda404 wrote:There is a Sushi place that does deliver to the Hotel Rooms but can't remember the name of it for the life of me. Please avoid that Japanese food place in the food court of the mall. Friend had food poisoning there.
Building on this point, if you're willing to go for delivery to the hotel, definitely check out foodler.com - you can search out a lot of places in Boston (even those that don't typically do delivery) and can have food delivered to the hotel. I took advantage of this last year - ordered some sushi from my favorite place in Boston (Fin's in Kenmore Square) and had it in my hands in the Sheraton lobby within an hour.
We ordered like $60-$80 worth of sushi so we made it worth it lol.

The Geeky Panda Blog
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

The common thread I've seen thus far is folks want to get good quality food Japanese Cuisine in the Back Bay area and pay next to nothing for it. If you don't like or want what's nearby, you'll have to plan ahead and try to hit up a restaurant further away.

One thing I want to say for sure is there are ALOT of options in Boston and the Boston area. If the timing's not there for Con Weekend, come back another time and check 'em out ^_^
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

midnightsiren182
AB Staff

Post by midnightsiren182 »

Don't discount Trader Joe's, sometimes you can find some Asian food items there.
Lauren Gallo
Programming Ops Staff 2024
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

If I remember correctly, Trader Joe had a sign with a Pikachu on it during last year's convention. I believe it was a chalkboard sign too so one of their employees took the time to draw it.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

there was one place where me and my mom went one year where if you didn't keep your eyes pealed you'd loose it. (we just so happened to find it) it was a Koran/Japanese mix with sushi...it was a set of stairs leading down to this little sushidon. it was nummy!

i'll be coming in pretty late, and I dono who i'll get to bump into ._. So by the time I get there TJ may be closed (that was a great idea though I love their tai sause I put it on everything) ._.

thank you you guys, you've been very helpful!

also is the stop and shop still there? (i think it's stop and shop) that you can see from the eastern building? (i believe it's eastern)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

10:15 huh? I think if i leave right after I grab my badge then I'll be right in the nick of time before the doors closes.
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

NanoZero
Experienced Poster

Post by NanoZero »

If you don't mind paying a bit more, Whole Foods in Symphony has some pretty good sushi.
AB2012: Kino
AB2013: Misaka Mikoto (casual)
AB2014: Ryuko Matoi (EP 1)
AB2015: Seo Yuzuki & Akatsuki (1st season)
AB2016: Inkling School Girl Version (Splatoon) & Oboro (Fire Emblem Fates)
AB2017:Umi Sonoda (China Dress & Arabian Dancer),Lucina & Hanamaru Kunikida (Winter Uniform)
AB2018:Constellation Umi Sonoda & Makoto Niijima
AB2019: Flower Bouquet Umi Sonoda, Cinnabar, F!Corrin & Ryuko Matoi (Senketsu)
AB2020:
????????
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

i don't like whole foods sushi. If i were to go to whole foods i'd rather get their pizza instead.
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Elli21486 wrote:If I remember correctly, Trader Joe had a sign with a Pikachu on it during last year's convention. I believe it was a chalkboard sign too so one of their employees took the time to draw it.
Well, looking at my pictures from last year, I found the sign.
http://imgur.com/ccM85KY
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

they always have a better sign every year. I remember one year it was just a pikachu with out salior moon on the bottom

that was the year i actually decided to venture out into the wondeful world of boston. anyone know the times TJ's is open on Thursday evening (just incase i need a sushi fix)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Spirit_Girl01 wrote:they always have a better sign every year. I remember one year it was just a pikachu with out salior moon on the bottom

that was the year i actually decided to venture out into the wondeful world of boston. anyone know the times TJ's is open on Thursday evening (just incase i need a sushi fix)
Trader Joe's Back Bay: 8am to 10pm every day
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Fetch wrote:
Spirit_Girl01 wrote:they always have a better sign every year. I remember one year it was just a pikachu with out salior moon on the bottom

Trader Joe's Back Bay: 8am to 10pm every day
well that doesn't help me very much on Thursday night anyway, but thanks for the heads up
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

azaznator
Expert Poster

Post by azaznator »

Aurabolt wrote:Surprised you didn't mention Wagamana, which was one of Anime Boston's partners for the last few years. It's a bit mainstream but the food is authentic, affordable and good. There's a location in the mall a few doors down from Pinkberry, which is right across from the Microsoft Store.
> Wagamama
> authentic

Wat. Wat wat wat.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Apparently, there's a Japanese hot pot place in the Westin called Shabumaru if interested.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

azaznator wrote:
> Wagamama
> authentic

Wat. Wat wat wat.

It actually is.

See my post in the Ramen thread.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

azaznator wrote:
> Wagamama
> authentic

Wat. Wat wat wat.
also take the time to look at their website before being a bitch about it in my thread please
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

azaznator
Expert Poster

Post by azaznator »

Spirit_Girl01 wrote:
azaznator wrote:
> Wagamama
> authentic

Wat. Wat wat wat.
also take the time to look at their website before being a bitch about it in my thread please
There is no need to get mad. I've already said my spiel in the other thread, and I don't intend on trying to convince other people anymore. You're only going to miss out on trying the many actually authentic Japanese restaurants that Boston has to offer.
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

azaznator wrote:
Spirit_Girl01 wrote:
azaznator wrote:
> Wagamama
> authentic

Wat. Wat wat wat.
There is no need to get mad. I've already said my spiel in the other thread, and I don't intend on trying to convince other people anymore. You're only going to miss out on trying the many actually authentic Japanese restaurants that Boston has to offer.
pm me with locations and we'll talk but there's no need to be rude in my thread. if you wish to be rude to me in my thread for no apparent reason, then pm me in the future. But it's very un called for.

Wagamama has been around since I can remember.

also what you did is un called for and considered spamming since it has nothing to do to help me in any way shape and form.

this is a thread for people to instruct restaurants to ME because I am not a local in Boston. If you are a local, and can instruct me someplace cheep for noodles that's with in walking distance to the convention center, that you think is authentic then I'm all ears, but to belittle someone's request to me is the rudest thing someone can do on any forum.

if you want to talk to me further and be civil at the same time, please pm me and I'd love to hear anything you have to offer, but I will not take sarcasm in my thread.
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho