Essential Boston Restaurants?

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
Priz
Getting the hang of this...

Essential Boston Restaurants?

Post by Priz »

http://boston.eater.com/maps/the-38-ess ... -july-2013

Is this list up to date? Any mind blowing/amazing restaurants closer to the con which have opened since July of 2013?

I see http://boston.eater.com/2015/1/7/750588 ... inter-2015 but I don't know how far any of these are from the con site.
winterwing3000
AB Alumni

Re: Essential Boston Restaurants?

Post by winterwing3000 »

Priz wrote:http://boston.eater.com/maps/the-38-ess ... -july-2013

Is this list up to date? Any mind blowing/amazing restaurants closer to the con which have opened since July of 2013?

I see http://boston.eater.com/2015/1/7/750588 ... inter-2015 but I don't know how far any of these are from the con site.
Sweet Cheeks is a good 20ish minute walk from the convention and it's always packed on weekends, so I highly recommend putting in a reservation. It was great for a place to chill and hang, nothing gourmet though.

The Bon Me food truck had great food, but I haven't been to the restaurant yet. So I anticipate it to be the same, if not better and fresher. The convention center is closer to more "college student" fare as it's located nearby many universities. Is there any particular food you wanted to have?
Elisa Cheng
Security Staff '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18

--
"Steel is my body, fire is my blood..." - Archer, Fate/Stay Night (Unlimited Blade Works incantation)
Priz

Post by Priz »

Some of the Japanese LiSAkko and I hit an Izakaya on the first night, the main group (including two guys from France, one guy from Texas and myself) took us to a wonderful All You Can Eat Shabu Shabu place on the second night of Budokan, so I want to repay the favor by treating them to a nice restaurant one of the nights we're in Boston for dinner. Nothing uber expensive, but something with solid food that they'll be impressed by.
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

According to Google, there are 5 Shabu Shabu places in Boston.

Van Shabu & Bar in Dorchester.
Shabu Zen in Chinatown & Allston.
Swish Shabu in Fenway.
Kaze Shabu Shabu Restaurant in Chinatown.

Can't personally vouch for any of them, as I've only had shabu shabu once in my whole life.

For another style of all-you-can-eat, try Fire & Ice in Back Bay or Harvard Square.
You choose from the ingredients, they cook it for you on a huge circular griddle.
winterwing3000
AB Alumni

Post by winterwing3000 »

If you're thinking about doing shabu, I recommend Kaze or Shabu-Zen in Chinatown. It is accessible by the Orange or Green line. If you're thinking Boston must try, I recommend Beantown Pub at Park Street (accessible by Green line) or Salty Pig in Back Bay.

For some Asian fusion, there's Typhoon Asian Bistro in Copley Square or Ginger Exchange at Symphony Hall. For something nicer, maybe try Maggiano's Little Italy at Park Plaza or Gaslight in the South End.

I hope that helps as a starting point.
Elisa Cheng
Security Staff '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18

--
"Steel is my body, fire is my blood..." - Archer, Fate/Stay Night (Unlimited Blade Works incantation)
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

winterwing3000 wrote:If you're thinking about doing shabu, I recommend Kaze or Shabu-Zen in Chinatown. It is accessible by the Orange or Green line. If you're thinking Boston must try, I recommend Beantown Pub at Park Street (accessible by Green line) or Salty Pig in Back Bay.

For some Asian fusion, there's Typhoon Asian Bistro in Copley Square or Ginger Exchange at Symphony Hall. For something nicer, maybe try Maggiano's Little Italy at Park Plaza or Gaslight in the South End.

Beantown Pub is a good place. Just be warned it can be very busy on weekends. But then, that goes for every decent food place in Downtown and Back Bay.
Priz

Post by Priz »

winterwing3000 wrote:If you're thinking about doing shabu, I recommend Kaze or Shabu-Zen in Chinatown. It is accessible by the Orange or Green line. If you're thinking Boston must try, I recommend Beantown Pub at Park Street (accessible by Green line) or Salty Pig in Back Bay.

Thank you so much! Salty Pig and Gaslight were the types of places I was specifically shooting for.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Anyone have feedback on:

- Atlantic Fish
- Brasserie Jo
- Fogo De Chao

.... I was curious about these. I expect all of them to be pricey though.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
hisoka-44

Post by hisoka-44 »

Yukito Kunisaki wrote:Anyone have feedback on:

- Atlantic Fish
- Brasserie Jo
- Fogo De Chao

.... I was curious about these. I expect all of them to be pricey though.

Fogo De Chao is amazing but it will make your wallet want to commit seppuku. Don't expect to spend less than $100 for two! I suppose it is worth it if you have a big appetite though since it's all you can eat.
AB15: Illumi Zoldyck from Hunter X Hunter (1999).