Government Center Subway Station Closing

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Government Center Subway Station Closing

Post by Elli21486 »

So Anime Boston is fast approaching and I thought I should share this to fellow con-goers. Starting March 22, Government Center (Blue/Green Line) will be closed. Fortunately, this will not affect con-goers on the Red, Green, or Orange Lines. However, con-goers on the Blue Line will be affected. With that said, here are some alternatives for Blue Line travelers. You can also reverse the directions after the con is over.

Option 1
-Get off at State and hop onto the Orange Line Inbound (Forest Hills)
-Get off at Downtown Crossing and use the connector tunnel and walk towards the Green Line
-Use the Green Line as normal

Option 2
-Get off at Downtown Crossing and hop onto the Red Line Outbound (Alewife)
-Get off at Park Street
-Use the Green Line as normal

Option 3
-Get off at Back Bay and use the exit at end of platform (towards the front of the train)
-Walk through Copley Place, over the walkway, and through the Prudential Center
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Kanechan
Expert Poster

Re: Government Center Subway Station Closing

Post by Kanechan »

There is a fourth option you might have missed, even if it's not as desirable: Take the Orange Line outbound from State to Haymarket, then take the Green Line inbound from there to Prudential, changing at Park Street if you find you're not on the "E" train.
Klein bottle for rent; inquire within.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

I definitely recommend just straight shooting to Back Bay. It's not a bad walk. I personally hate the green line.

As for this though, wait.... when you say closed, do you mean PERMANENTLY or for the week/weekend?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
kaitanuva
Getting the hang of this...

Post by kaitanuva »

Yukito Kunisaki wrote:I definitely recommend just straight shooting to Back Bay. It's not a bad walk. I personally hate the green line.

As for this though, wait.... when you say closed, do you mean PERMANENTLY or for the week/weekend?
It's a two year project.

http://mbta.com/riding_the_t/default.asp?id=26899

So yeah, you can said it's permanent lol.
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Like kaitanuva said, this is a 2 year project. They are remodeling the entire station, which includes platform upgrades, signage upgrades and elevator access (which Government Center doesn't have right now.)

As for going straight to Back Bay on the Orange Line, I do recommend doing that if you will be having a bulky/big cosplay design due to the Green Line always being extremely packed.
Past Conventions:

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries

Kanechan
Expert Poster

Post by Kanechan »

I'm "necro-bumping" this thread because of some recent good news: Although it's not on the MBTA website yet, a news blurb on NECN says that Government Center will reopen on March 26th, the Saturday of the con, ending the two-year-long closure for renovations. I for one can't wait for it to reopen, and I had hoped it would do so around the time of the con. Now it looks like it will happen at that time. 8-) :D
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Just got the news that Government Center will completely open on March 26 as well. Can't wait to see how it looks inside now.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... story.html
Past Conventions:

Past Picture Galleries

Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

That's awesome =O

Folks who needed to switch from Blue to Green needed to go to State St. then go to Haymarket. Given the rumors about the complex above Haymarket being torn down and replaced with a skyscraper, this is great news XD
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Aurabolt wrote:That's awesome =O

Folks who needed to switch from Blue to Green needed to go to State St. then go to Haymarket. Given the rumors about the complex above Haymarket being torn down and replaced with a skyscraper, this is great news XD
This is not scheduled for years... Well, the portion about the Station on the busway anyway. The plan for that project is that they will start tearing the other side of the building first while the portion above the T entrance will remain. Then, once that portion is complete and a majority of it is filled, they will begin working above the T where that entrance will be closed.
Past Conventions:

Past Picture Galleries

Shirley Dulcey
AB Alumni

Post by Shirley Dulcey »

Although the Government Station station is scheduled to reopen on March 26, I would check the T site for info as the day approaches before making travel plans. Large construction projects often encounter unexpected delays, so the station may not reopen that day as planned.
Shirley Dulcey
Tech 2016-2022
Kanechan
Expert Poster

Post by Kanechan »

Shirley Marquez wrote:Although the Government Station station is scheduled to reopen on March 26, I would check the T site for info as the day approaches before making travel plans. Large construction projects often encounter unexpected delays, so the station may not reopen that day as planned.
Perish the thought! :lol: But seriously, from the article on Boston.com, it appears that the renovations will be completed on time and within budget. There will be some closures on the Blue and Green Lines in the weeks to come, presumably to aid the reconstruction: Bowdoin Station will be closed on evenings between Feb. 28~March 2, and the section between Park St. and Haymarket will be closed for two weekends this month (Feb. 13~14 and 20~21), along with evening closures from 8:45 PM onward on the 16th~18th and 22nd~25th.

While it pays to keep an eye on things, it doesn't look like there will be any major problems at this point.
Kanechan
Expert Poster

Post by Kanechan »

Some pictures of the inside and outside of the new station on the WBUR website:

https://www.wbur.org/2016/02/08/governm ... renovation
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Kanechan wrote:Some pictures of the inside and outside of the new station on the WBUR website:

https://www.wbur.org/2016/02/08/governm ... renovation
That's pretty neat. Can't wait to see how it looks for myself, even though I would not be needing the station for my regular commute.
Past Conventions:

Past Picture Galleries

JeffersonLeeEng
AB Staff

Just in time for this year's AB...Gov't Center re-opens on March 21st

Post by JeffersonLeeEng »

http://www.boston.com/news/2016/03/09/m ... story.html

Just in time for Anime Boston this year, MBTA has nudged the opening date for the newly-renovated Government Center station to March 21st (Saturday, March 26th being the originally and tentatively planned opening day). So, rejoice that it can be utilized by daily commuters in the week leading up to Easter and, of course, this year's Anime Boston event.
Jefferson Eng
Anime Boston — 2010
: Attendee | 2011: Registration Staff | 2013: Tech Ops: Desk Staff | 2012/14/15/18: Tech Ops: Jr Tech Staff | 2017: Tech Ops: Large Events Staff | 2022-Present: Tech Ops: General Tech Staff
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Otaku Generation Podcast
Eva Monkey, an Evangelion Fansite
The Overnightscape Underground