2014 Panels: Kill la Kill, Hunger Games, Ghibli and more!

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
AnimeAnthropologist
Veteran Poster

2014 Panels: Kill la Kill, Hunger Games, Ghibli and more!

Post by AnimeAnthropologist »

So for the 5th straight year, I'm back at Anime Boston! I almost didn't make it this year, but things worked themselves out, sort of.

This year I have 4 panels confirmed:

Kill la Kill and the Transformation of a Japanese Legend: covering a bit of Yamato-clan mythology, pre and post-Meiji history and politics, the carnivalesque, and how Kill la Kill takes a thousand year old story and flips it on its head. This one's more theoretical than my usual fare, but I really wanted to host it, seeing as how KLK is one of those shows that has so much going on that deserves to be explored.

Hunger Games and Battle Royale: A Comparison- co-hosted by Kit Flowerstorm. We plan to go over the differences and similarities between the two franchises, look at their inspirations, and how the two series approach a similar topic in very different ways.

Beyond Miyazaki: Politics and Philosophy in the Films of Studio Ghibli- my 2011 panel returns with new ideas, new films, and new a broader scope to exploring the collective work of Studio Ghibli. (i.e., Takahata gets his time in the sun, and I can add Arrietty and The Wind Rises into the continuity.)

We Con, Therefore We Are: Fandom and Convergence Theory- as seen as Otakon (and Otakon Vegas), the panel built around my graduate fieldwork is going to be at Anime Boston. It looks at the ideas of media convergence as they apply to fandom in the 21st century, explores the cultural evolution of the fan and fan practice, and looks towards a future of converging ideologies and a redefinition of what fandom entails. Ideas and opinions welcome!

I might also find my way onto another panel or two with my friends as well, I'll know closer to con.
Http://www.studyofanime.com Charles Dunbar: Symbolic Anthropologist and Fandom Scholar
jughands
Veteran Poster

Re: 2014 Panels: Kill la Kill, Hunger Games, Ghibli and more

Post by jughands »

Will definitely try and attend the KLK and Ghibli panels! They sound great!
:mrgreen:
yunaofparadise
Dedicated Poster

Post by yunaofparadise »

Battle Royale I have read and seen. Sadly not Hunger Games yet but I would love to attend this panel. Great idea for a panel indeed. <3
JeffersonLeeEng
AB Staff

Post by JeffersonLeeEng »

I need to make it for fandom convergence panel. Heck, I might hijack it..just kidding...you're the better speaker :)
Jefferson Eng
Anime Boston — 2010
: Attendee | 2011: Registration Staff | 2013: Tech Ops: Desk Staff | 2012/14/15/18: Tech Ops: Jr Tech Staff | 2017: Tech Ops: Large Events Staff | 2022-Present: Tech Ops: General Tech Staff
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Otaku Generation Podcast
Eva Monkey, an Evangelion Fansite
The Overnightscape Underground
coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

Battle Royale is one of my favorite manga series. Granted, there were some moments that made me cringe quite heavily, but the story itself was unbelievably good.
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
AnimeAnthropologist
Veteran Poster

JeffersonLeeEng wrote:I need to make it for fandom convergence panel. Heck, I might hijack it..just kidding...you're the better speaker :)
You are always welcome to sit in on it. You know I enjoy a good round table discussion on that one.
Http://www.studyofanime.com Charles Dunbar: Symbolic Anthropologist and Fandom Scholar
AnimeAnthropologist
Veteran Poster

yunaofparadise wrote:Battle Royale I have read and seen. Sadly not Hunger Games yet but I would love to attend this panel. Great idea for a panel indeed. <3
It was the end result of live tweeting a watch of BR about a month ago. The comparison chatter eventually won out, and I threw this one in. I think it's important to explore the media we consume, and try to really understand similarities and differences. I was one of those guys who pre-judged HG as being a BR ripoff, until I actually sat down and watched the movies. Even without the book, there are significant differences in how the worlds are created, how the characters interact with the event, how the event unfolds, and how the themes are colored by local tropes. I'm hoping it gets a good discussion going in its own right.
coolforever wrote:Battle Royale is one of my favorite manga series. Granted, there were some moments that made me cringe quite heavily, but the story itself was unbelievably good.
You can't really go wrong when it comes to BR. The films are a bit abbreviated, but still worth watching. The manga is a fantastic visual smorgasbord for the mature reader, and the novel presents the character's thoughts and motives in perfect detail. I read the book first, back in 2003, and it really evoked a lot of emotion.
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

I'm DEFINITELY going to come to your Ghibli panel!! I always look forward to your panels every year. ^_^ ^_^
BL2W
Expert Poster

Post by BL2W »

AnimeAnthropologist wrote: Kill la Kill and the Transformation of a Japanese Legend: covering a bit of Yamato-clan mythology, pre and post-Meiji history and politics, the carnivalesque, and how Kill la Kill takes a thousand year old story and flips it on its head. This one's more theoretical than my usual fare, but I really wanted to host it, seeing as how KLK is one of those shows that has so much going on that deserves to be explored.
I MUST NOT MISS THIS PANEL. Hopefully, it gets an optimal timeslot, but I will make all of the effort that I can afford to make it to this one--no matter what happens to be the case~! I'm pretty surprised, Charles, it never would have crossed my mind that I'd ever see you talking about Kill la Kill; but, because it's you, I am so hyped for this one~! :!:
.::.:.::.
Check out KyokoPro Studios on Facebook & YouTube for KanColle videos and cosplay music videos!
Victablook
Expert Poster

Post by Victablook »

I am all for the Kill la Kill panel. Will definitely drag my friends over if we're able to stay at AB long enough.
2024:
tails (sonic)
ryuk (death note)
SabitaUsagi
Getting the hang of this...

Post by SabitaUsagi »

The Ghibli & Kill la Kill panels played a heavy role in making it worth coming up last minute.