Artists' Alley 2014 Application Information

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
Faceman
AB Executive

Artists' Alley 2014 Application Information

Post by Faceman »

Information for the 2014 Artists' Alley is now available.

Applications for Pro Row will open on Sunday, October 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM EST. Pro Row Applications will close on Sunday, October 13, 2013 at 11:59 PM EST.

Applications for standard tables will open on Saturday, October 26, 2013 at an undisclosed time, after 11:00 AM EST.

All artists must read and comply with all instructions, rules, and policies stated in the Artists' Alley FAQ. Anime Boston is not responsible for any consequences resulting from failure to comply.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
DArtJunkie
Experienced Poster

Re: Artists' Alley 2014 Application Information

Post by DArtJunkie »

Quesssssssstion.

As far as Pro Row is concerned, it mentions prime space in the alley. What does this refer to, and would those signing up for Pro Row have any ability to request specific(ish) spots? I ask because I'm mulling over the idea, but know there were some issues last year with the Row being situated close to a wall where some of the music panels got rather loud, and sound traveled through the walls. If I signed up for the Row and requested a table more towards the back of the room where I was last year (close to the ladies room for quick potty breaks, yay!) would that be allowed? Or do y'all have the Pro Row tables pretty much already planned out for where they are going to be? Just curious because that will decide whether or not I try for pro row or wait and take my chances with regular signups.
Super loud base thumping in my ears for hours all weekend would probably drive me a tad batty, so if all the tables are over by those adjoining walls, I'd rather take my chances with regular signups.

Thanks so much, looking forward to this year and keeping my fingers crossed! :)
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

All Pro Row tables are in the front row, plus the two front squares and possibly a couple of tables in the front of the rows going down the sides.

you can MAKE a request....but if the table location you want does not exist....then it won't happen.

BASICALLY, a pro row table is ONLY 8 foot, so if you look at the map from last year (we didn't change it for this year. We're looking to gather more data), anything that's 6 feet (they show up as slightly smaller on the map) is NOT a Pro Row table, though SOME 8 foot tables are available for the regular crowd as well, which ones those ARE, a re not set in stone....since requests can be made.
Nikki O'Shea Bean
http://www.dragonpressgraphics.com
http://www.bardscomic.com

Artists Alley Manager 2008-2017
Artists Alley Co-Manager 2005-07
Attendee 2004
Artists Alley Accidental Volunteer 2003
zombieromance
Getting the hang of this...

Post by zombieromance »

I really dug being in Pro Row last year. Thank you guys for making that an option and keeping it going! :D
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Post by marikotoeii »

Nikki

How much time do we have to get the 300 payment in? Will we know if we got into pro row before. Standard sign ups?
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

we're not ready to do payments right now. probably not for a while. I have to wait for the go ahead from another department that they've got that all set.

you WILL know before the other signups occur whether or not you've gotten into the pro row - that's why there are two separate sign up phases, with time between the cut off of pro row sign up and start up for the next one. gives me time to evaluation the situation and notify people so they can take another chance if necessary
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
Miss_Magic

Post by Miss_Magic »

Finishing up my submission for the contest.. Was hit with inspiration late in the week and am now putting it together!

AAHHHHH! WHY?! Why did my art muse wait so long?! :cry: :o
Miss_Magic

Post by Miss_Magic »

Sadly, my submission was not finished in time for the contest. Damn...

BUT... I will be submitting it to Pro-Row.
nezumi5
I'm new!

Post by nezumi5 »

Pro Row approvals/disapprovals are still set to arrive before standard applications go live, correct?
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

correct.
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
blix
Experienced Poster

Post by blix »

eeeee! I really want to come back to Anime Boston next year! Fingers crossed for pro row, I really really really want to go. ><

edit: I think I must have been somehow preemptively knowing emails were going out??? Because 30 minutes later there were emails???? 8D Time is not exactly a line maybe....
Tina
Veteran Poster

Post by Tina »

NVM, the first post answered by question. I CAN READ. :|
My webcomic: The Paul Reveres
querulousArtisan

Post by querulousArtisan »

I have a quick question. Will we need the EIN right away? I have been having issues register for one, something wrong with my last name and records and all that fun stuff. And I have been getting a bit of a run around. I am certain to have it solved... but not by tomorrow, as the IRS office is closed.
mewrose
Experienced Poster

Post by mewrose »

If the form is the same as last year, then no, you don't need the EIN for this part of the registration. That comes later, during the second phase, so you have time to get it sorted.
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

correct, no EIN needed at this stage of the game
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
themadyad
I'm new!

Post by themadyad »

Question:
I hate to be needy, but is there a general time frame to know about the artists who got a regular table?
I know obviously the applications just opened, but it did say that if space is not available, we won't be contacted. That, and the fact that it is listed as "first come, first serve."
Like I said, I understand it will take some time, so I'm sorry to be a bother.
Thanks!
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

Hello
I know the applications just opened, but the part that said that you would not be contacted actually said that before you applied. It said that in order to warn you that you would be automatically rolled onto the Reserve List.

In fact, here's a cut and paste so others can see what we're talking about as I'm anticipating more questions on this :

"Please Note: Spaces for the 2014 Artists' Alley are full at this time.

You may still enter your information below to apply on the Waitlist. Please note that applicants on the Waitlist will be contacted only if room becomes available for them. "

Normally, I admit, I don't put it into Reserve list mode so fast, but I was certain within a few hours on Saturday that we'd already had hit Reserve List mode, even though I was unsure where the line would be. By the time I switched the app later in the week to be from Normal to Reserve, we had 500 artists already applied. We have less than 150 tables. I couldn't justify keeping it open any longer. By doing so, it gives people false hope. ( I only waited as long as I did, because I was afraid of creating confusion about the situation - I was afraid, by being so close to the start up time, people wouldn't notice the warning before filling out the application - a fear that seems justified, it would appear.)

The sad fact is that anyone who applies afterward is probably not going to be contacted, barring something really strange happening. So since you've already been notified prior to filling out the application that you are on the reserve list, there is no reason for me to contact you at this time, just to tell you that you are on the reserve list.

Rest assured, that I *DO* plan on doing final notices once the con is closer, and Phase 2 has been officially completed. And those notices WILL go out to every email in my database regardless of their status.

Also note, there is still a chance to get in, even if the waitlist/Reserve list is likely impossible. AFTER Phase 2 has been completed, a sharing table thread on these forums will be added by me so that artists can look for space....or give out some of their space...
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
themadyad
I'm new!

Post by themadyad »

Im sorry, I think you misunderstood my question. I applied and was not notified I am on the reserve list. I was on the computer from 10am and submitted my application the minute it was opened. I was actually wondering when I would be notified whether or not I got a table, since I hopefully got my application in that first bunch.
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

I didn't see any messages come through with the email address you have your forum account set up to use. Is it possible you'd used a different email address? You don't have to post it here. You can PM Nikki or me. There were a lot of requests at pretty much the same time, as Chris mentioned in another thread, so it's possible the message didn't get through because the server was being hammered pretty hard.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

ah.....well usually its been a few weeks from first application to first notification. since it takes time to go through the apps and do the math....though it might actually be faster this time...

and if the payment phase is still not ready by the time I'm ready to notify anyone, all that will go out is First Wave emails - as i won't be able to determine a second or third (or more) waves until after everyone's paid and i can see who's dropped out completely and who chose smaller spaces.(thereby giving me more room to work with) And since i am subject to another departments time frame on that, I can't give a time frame on this COMPLETELY. except that if i get the okay and it's on or real close to the holidays (thanksgiving or Christmas) i won't send out the Phase 2 emails on those time periods.

so you can rest assured, you have not yet missed anything since nothing has gone out.

P.s. Christian - i think he's talking in general....not in answer to an Form question...?
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
themadyad
I'm new!

Post by themadyad »

Well thank you so much! I appreciate it : )