Important Status Update Concerning the Informal Dance 2013

This forum contains discussion about all news and announcements related to Anime Boston.
midnightsiren182
AB Staff

Important Status Update Concerning the Informal Dance 2013

Post by midnightsiren182 »

Dear Anime Boston attendees,

As many of you already know, events at last year’s Informal Dance made us rethink and redesign the event. What you may not know is that as a consequence of the problems at last year’s Informal Dance the Sheraton Boston’s entertainment license was put on probation until June 2013. Rather than put the hotel’s future at risk, we had to look into alternative homes for the Informal Dance.

After considerable work by our staff, we found a new location at the Castle at the Boston Park Plaza and continued to plan the best Informal Dance that we could.

Unfortunately, after the space was contracted and everything was in place to hold the dance our entertainment license for the Informal Dance was rejected. Over the past several weeks, I have personally reached out to police, city, and state representatives to find out the reasons why the license was rejected. The reasons were:

1) There is a large outdoor musical event (Boston Calling) happening on City Hall Plaza and the Red Sox are playing at home. These events, in addition to the general business of a Memorial Day weekend, have police resources stretched extremely thin during our event. The Boston Police Department could not assign any detail officers to the Castle during the Informal Dance.

2) After reviewing what happened last year, the City needed a robust security and medical plan. Their primary concerns revolved around overcrowding issues and the behavior of a very small segment of our attendee population.

Anime Boston, with assistance from the Boston Park Plaza, developed an extremely detailed plan to address these concerns and promised to limit attendance. The plan involved Suffolk County Sheriffs, additional hotel security, labeled egress points, and additional medical staff onsite.

Unfortunately, the changes that we made were effective, but not enough to sway city officials.

We know that having an Informal Dance is a tradition not just at Anime Boston, but at nearly every single anime convention nationwide. This is why our team has spent countless hours trying to come up with a plan that satisfied the Boston Police, our facility partners, and Boston City Hall. Every single day we were talking, writing, and reaching out to try to find someone who could get the rejection of our license overturned. We even walked into the Mayor’s office to try to see if one of his staff could help us out. We did these things because, just like you, Anime Boston wanted our Informal Dance to happen and we are extremely disappointed that it’s not happening this year.

This is not the end of the Informal Dance forever. As long as Anime Boston 2013 goes well this year, the Sheraton is open to holding the Informal Dance inside its ballroom in 2014. To ensure that we have this option, we ask you, our attendees, to treat the Sheraton, the Hilton, the Boston Park Plaza Castle, and the Hynes Convention Center with respect. We do not want our Informal Dance, or any part of Anime Boston, to be cancelled forever.

We know that not having an Informal Dance is a major disappointment for some of you. Again, we can’t express how upsetting it is to us to not be able to deliver everything that you've come to expect and enjoy at our convention. We've been working non-stop in an effort to make this event happen, but as of today we've run out of time. We had hoped that we would find a way to get our dance approved, or failing that, moved into another space, which is why it took us this long to announce this cancellation. For the lateness of this announcement too, we are sincerely sorry.

That being said, we hope that you will still choose to come to Anime Boston 2013 to enjoy our other quality programming, our 23 Guests of Honor, our 141 Artists in Artists’ Alley, and 118 Dealers inside the Dealers’ Room, not to mention all of the attendees—that's you—who make up the real character of our convention. We truly hope that this news will not diminish your enjoyment of Anime Boston because we are really looking forward to seeing all of you.

With Sincere Regret,

Andrea M. Finnin
Convention Chair
Anime Boston 2013
Lauren Gallo
Programming Ops Staff 2024
Dashie
Experienced Poster

Re: Important Status Update Concerning the Informal Dance 20

Post by Dashie »

Although I'm not a fan of going to the informal dances at anime conventions, I just want to say thank you for all the effort you guys put in to try to make it happen this year.

It's a shame that the people last year ruined the fun for everyone this year.

It's clear that you exhausted every resource. And I hope people will see that.

I know I'm still gonna go, and have the best weekend of my life!
Lapis_Lupus
Experienced Poster

Post by Lapis_Lupus »

I for one also plan to still attend...but just one question. I know that a lot of guests bank on attending the informal dance, and as such this unfortunate event will leave a lot of people standing around once the time turns to late night. Will there be any plans to fill in this huge time slot with some other events? Or is there even still time for that? I myself am intending to attend the 18+ dating game that night, granted it still is on Saturday night, but what about those who have no interest in the late night panel schedule?
khyron
AB Alumni

Post by khyron »

We have added extended programming in the Hynes. Now instead on closing some floors of the Hynes early the entire facility will be filled with programming for all hours of the convention. Soon we will share our programming schedule so you will be able to plan your convention schedule.
Andrea M. Finnin

Anime Boston:
Executive Adviser 2017
Emergency Manager - 2015 - 2017
Registration Staff - 2016
Treasury Staff - 2015
Lady Con Chair 2007 - 2014
Vice Chair 2005-2006
Director of Operations 2004
Co-Manager of Security 2003
New England Anime Society:
Board Member and Treasurer 2004 - 2013

Two in harmony surpass one in perfection.
Secret Duckie
Veteran Poster

Post by Secret Duckie »

Hey that's good for me! I never went to those dances anyway... too much sweat, hormones, and BO. Don't need teenagers all up on me. xD;

Makes me feel too old. Bahaha.

Welp, look forward to the extended programming! Maybe I won't be sitting in karaoke all night after all! Or maybe I will still because it's fun <3
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

Lapis_Lupus wrote:I for one also plan to still attend...but just one question. I know that a lot of guests bank on attending the informal dance, and as such this unfortunate event will leave a lot of people standing around once the time turns to late night. Will there be any plans to fill in this huge time slot with some other events? Or is there even still time for that? I myself am intending to attend the 18+ dating game that night, granted it still is on Saturday night, but what about those who have no interest in the late night panel schedule?
The 18+ dating game is on Friday night, not Saturday. :)
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
Bowler4Ever
Veteran Poster

Post by Bowler4Ever »

I am honestly a little saddened that there's no informal dance this year; but talking as an adult I can understand the reasons why.
I still have rage towards the "people" (and I use that term loosely, and to avoid profanity) who took the liberty of wrecking last year's, and, potentially, this year's. I hope things will be worked out for 2014, since there are no major holidays in that time frame!
AB 2012 cosplays: Switch (SKET Dance), Uchiha Sasuke (Chuunin Exams) (Naruto)
AB 2013 cosplays: Uchiha Sasuke, Taka (Naruto Shippuden)
AB 2014 cosplays: Uchiha Sasuke (Taka, Akatsuki, Hokage [Yes, Hokage, dammit! >_< xD])
My YouTube Channel!
Auron_of_Boston
Experienced Poster

Post by Auron_of_Boston »

my only concern with this is that people are then going to have more room parties and that will annoy guests which will lead to complaints and more anger from the hotels.

also what impact does this have on the formal ball.
Wonder Twin
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Wonder Twin »

I have never attended or really been a fan of the dances myself. That being said, I am still shocked that this has to be shelved for some time. I feel for the attendees, but especially for the entertainment who won't get to indulge the crowd with their wicked beats.
Jonathan Fleming: Co-Host and Co-Creator of Wicked Anime
AB Press (2013 - )
Co-Host of Wicked Anime Presents: Hardcore Anime! 18+ Panel
Co-Host of My Waifu's Not Weird!

Wicked Anime:
Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/WickedAnimeReviews
Podcast - http://nerdyshow.com/wickedanime/
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/WickedAnime

Websites:
Portfolio: http://jfleming3d.wordpress.com/
deviantArt: http://wonder-twin.deviantart.com/
khyron
AB Alumni

Post by khyron »

We want to keep on our best behavior this year with the Sheraton/Hynes so we can hopefully return the Informal next year to the hotel. Please please keep this in mind regarding room parties. We know they happen, we help make sure nothing gets too out of hand, but please if you are going to have them keep them safe and sane.

The Formal Ball will still occur as planned. However, instead of ending at 9:00 the Formal Ball has been extended until 10:30.
Andrea M. Finnin

Anime Boston:
Executive Adviser 2017
Treasury Staff - 2015
Vice Chair 2005-2006

Lapis_Lupus
Experienced Poster

Post by Lapis_Lupus »

Kiarrens wrote:
Lapis_Lupus wrote:I for one also plan to still attend...but just one question. I know that a lot of guests bank on attending the informal dance, and as such this unfortunate event will leave a lot of people standing around once the time turns to late night. Will there be any plans to fill in this huge time slot with some other events? Or is there even still time for that? I myself am intending to attend the 18+ dating game that night, granted it still is on Saturday night, but what about those who have no interest in the late night panel schedule?
Oh yeah that's right, my bad...well then count me among those flush out of stuff to do on Saturday night after the charity ball ends, lol.
Sakura-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sakura-chan »

I'm sure there is going to be a flurry of people whining and complaining, but the way I see it is that we should be lucky that the Sheraton is even letting them host AB again this year - from what I understand, having their entertainment license suspended (because of idiots at AB!) until June not only affects AB, but many of the other events that the Shertaon holds, which in turn affects them financially.

While I understand that this is unfortunate for a lot of attendees, I hope that next year, people will think about the consequences of their actions and behave more appropriately so that this sort of thing never happens again. You cannot abandon all social norms and rules and go crazy just because you're at an anime convention - that's not how it works. We get to be fictional characters for a day, but there are real life consequences when you act like a nutjob. The actions of a few can easily ruin it for the rest, as we have seen here. This message from the announcement really stuck out to me:

"This is not the end of the Informal Dance forever. As long as Anime Boston 2013 goes well this year, the Sheraton is open to holding the Informal Dance inside its ballroom in 2014. To ensure that we have this option, we ask you, our attendees, to treat the Sheraton, the Hilton, the Boston Park Plaza Castle, and the Hynes Convention Center with respect. We do not want our Informal Dance, or any part of Anime Boston, to be cancelled forever."

Everyone needs to pay attention to those words and follow through with them. Don't take things from the hotel and put them in the elevators. Don't leave your hotel room in shambles. Be polite and remember to thank the staff of the Hynes and the Sheraton. And for God sakes, pick up your damn trash! We, as a group, have this opportunity to redeem ourselves and if you enjoy this convention and respect the hard work that goes into making it tick, then you would be stupid not to take it.

I'd just like to say thanks - I'm sure all of you did whatever you could as a collective group to try and make the Informal Dance a thing this year, even if it didn't work out. I'm grateful that programming will still be running through the night so that us Night Owls still have something to do! :P

If people are still concerned about not having anything to do after the ball on Saturday, I wonder if maybe the staff could hold a second 18+ dating game, or some other kind of game show? It would give people who didn't get into the other game shows a shot, but it may be hard to coordinate so last minute.
Last edited by Sakura-chan on Fri May 17, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'06: Sakura (Naruto)
'07: Sakura (Naruto)
'09: Hungary (Hetalia)
'13: Euphemia (Code Geass, for the Spirit Ball!), Rachel Alucard (Blazblue)
'16: Saber EXTRA (Fate/EXTRA), Rose Quartz (SU)
Syagria
Obsessed Poster

Post by Syagria »

I'm not one to attend the Dance, either, but I'd still like to express my appreciation to the hardworking staff of AB for their efforts. It must be frustrating when those efforts don't come to any successful fruition, particularly when there is the real chance that a number of slugs and mouth-breathers out there are going to blame the staff for this. Kudos, AB Staff! Keep on rockin'.
Anime Boston Cosplays:
14: Death
13: Wonder Woman, Kitsune
12: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Wonder Woman
11: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Princess Eries Aston
10: Princess Eries Aston, Zatanna
09: Hermes (1st Place Intermediate), Lotis Master Alice Seno
08: Haruhara Haruko, Sumomo, Lotis Master Alice Seno
07: Haruhara Haruko, R. Dorothy Wayneright
The_Dessert_Witch
Veteran Poster

Post by The_Dessert_Witch »

I was never one for the informal dances. It was a personal preference, and I knew a lot of people who enjoyed them. It just wasn't my thing. Still, it saddens me to see this. Even worse, however, it truly worries me about the number of individuals who may blame you, the staff members, for not allowing this.

That is the larger travesty, I think. This post is less of a reaction to the update on the informal dance, and more of a response to a potential reaction I can see happening.

I appreciate everything you guys do behind the scenes here. You work so hard at this, just to make one weekend for us geeks as perfect as it can be. I know for a fact that I would probably crumble under the pressure, if I was in your positions. That being said, I know there are some who would say otherwise, who will blame you and lash out for this. This is not your fault, nor will it ever truly be. Things like this happen, and we must live with the results. In the end, I'm just glad we can remain at the Sheraton, and that AB is still going on, as a whole, as planned.

Just remember: you are all appreciated, and I support you. And for every person who yells at you for not having a informal dance, or jumps to crazy conclusions about why there is no informal dance, there are a large number more who will back you and support you.

Thank you, for everything you have done. While this year may not have gone well in regards to the dance, I'm sure that next year, things will be back to (relative) normalcy. You guys try your hardest, work to the bone, just to give us a great weekend, a weekend to remember. And anyone who forgets that is not worth worrying over.
2011: Theresa (Fable II, Fable III) (Fri, Sun)/OC Post-Apocalyptic Pokemon Trainer (Sat)
2012: Charlotte's Tumor Form v. 1 (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) (All)
2013: Charlotte's Tumor Form v. 1 (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) (All)
2014: Projected: Dead!Mami in Charlotte Hoodie (Puella Magi Madoka Magica), Tsukimi and Clara(Princess Jellyfish)
fatalhawk97
AB Alumni

Post by fatalhawk97 »

Kiarrens wrote:

And 18+ Cosplay Shenanigans, cosplay games new 18+ event is on Saturday!
Daniel A Hawk Chaplin
Coordinator of Cosplay Games- 2014 - 2016
Assistant Cosplay Games Coordinator -2013
Cosplay Games Staff - 2009 to 2012
Masquerade Staff - 2006 - 2008
HelloDoctor
I'm new!

Post by HelloDoctor »

Is it too late to get a refund then? because I have a few people who aren't going anymore because they were looking forward to the dance, and pretty much they called me trying to figure out if its true or not, now they know it is I instantly got 2 cancellations because they don't go to late night panels mainly just the dance and then to the hotel, so I'm stuck owing them money out of my pocket and I want to know If I can get my money back for their badge?
RapaxGuardian
Obsessed Poster

Post by RapaxGuardian »

Fatalhawk97 wrote:
Kiarrens wrote:

And 18+ Cosplay Shenanigans, cosplay games new 18+ event is on Saturday!
Shenanigans? In the words on George Takei, oh, myyy!
AB '10: The Sorrow (MGS3)
AB '11: Vamp (MGS2)
AB '12: Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2) & Major Raikov (MGS3)
AB '13: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Meryl Silverburgh (MGS1) & Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2)
AB '14: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Olga Gurlukovich(MGS2)
AB '15: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), The Sorrow (MGS3), Callie Ohpeee (Homestuck)
dstnyskr
Expert Poster

Post by dstnyskr »

Dearest Anime Boston staff/planners/and attendees.
I have a proposal to make!
What if the attendee's (or even AB president would be 'ok' with this idea) were to hold an unofficial Silent Informal Dance in the rather large hallways in the Hynes?
For those that do not know what a Silent Dance is
>>>Link>> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... %20dancing

That way no one would be in to much overwhelming music and light shows and can leave when ever they want (or when their ipod finally dies) this way it could possibly reduce the rate of hotel room parties! Hotel management will not be happy with room parties, you know it. ITS A WIN, WIN! 8-)

This will be my last year attending AB for the next 4 yrs and I really wanted to go out with a bang! I spent a good chunk of money to buy dance gear this year!
Please AB officials give this idea a chance! Either way I will probably by the only one in the Halls dancing like no one is watching with my glowsticks and headphones on!

@everyone-
thoughts/ideas?
downside to this proposal?
Is there a liability for AB if this were to happen?

-destiny_seeker
Let destiny decide.
~AB veteran 2006-2017(missed '15)~
khyron
AB Alumni

Post by khyron »

One of the problems that we had during last year's dance was the crowding in the hallways. We cannot have this problem again in 2013.

Please do not try to host your own programming in the hallways.
Andrea M. Finnin

Anime Boston:
Executive Adviser 2017
Treasury Staff - 2015
Vice Chair 2005-2006

dstnyskr
Expert Poster

Post by dstnyskr »

khyron wrote:One of the problems that we had during last year's dance was the crowding in the hallways. We cannot have this problem again in 2013.

Crowding in the Hyne's hallways at 9/10+p.m.? :shock:
Let destiny decide.
Naokichan
Veteran Poster

Post by Naokichan »

dstnyskr wrote:
khyron wrote:One of the problems that we had during last year's dance was the crowding in the hallways. We cannot have this problem again in 2013.

It doesn't matter what time it is, there are always going to be people walking around that need to get through. They also say in the rulebook not to clog the hallways for a reason.
Anime Boston 2016 Cosplays:
Sadness from Inside Out
Ciel Phantomhive from Black Butler
Chat Noir from Miraculous
Modern England from Hetalia

Anime Boston 2017 Cosplays:
Chat Noir from Miraculous
Mei from Overwatch
Pyrrha Nikos school outfit from RWBY
Lapis_Lupus
Experienced Poster

Post by Lapis_Lupus »

dstnyskr wrote:

Not trying to answer for staff...but there are in fact panels that run until one, sometimes two in the morning. You haven't seen them on the schedule on past trips to Anime Boston? As long as there are people in the Hynes that need to get somewhere then yes, crowding the hallway is a problem. Besides the fact that if it isn't authorized and Hynes security sees it, I'm sure that would open up a whole new, stinking can of worms, and that's the last thing we need.
BridgyKitty

Post by BridgyKitty »

Sakura-chan wrote: If people are still concerned about not having anything to do after the ball on Saturday, I wonder if maybe the staff could hold a second 18+ dating game, or some other kind of game show? It would give people who didn't get into the other game shows a shot, but it may be hard to coordinate so last minute.
I vote for Anime Unscripted. I saw that it was not happening this year and now with no dance as well I am a little disappointed :(
dstnyskr
Expert Poster

Post by dstnyskr »

Lapis_Lupus wrote:
dstnyskr wrote:

Not trying to answer for staff...but there are in fact panels that run until one, sometimes two in the morning. You haven't seen them on the schedule on past trips to Anime Boston? As long as there are people in the Hynes that need to get somewhere then yes, crowding the hallway is a problem. Besides the fact that if it isn't authorized and Hynes security sees it, I'm sure that would open up a whole new, stinking can of worms, and that's the last thing we need.
I have been around the Hyne's around the wee-hours of the morning, hentai dubbing and what-not. The hallways almost looked barren to me. I'm not trying to get AB in trouble with the Hyne's, but the Hyne's does have more adequate space. For instance the Video Game room is really not busy at all, from what I've noticed in the past. That space is quite big, although the floors are something to be reckoned with.

oh well. :(
Let destiny decide.
President Aria
Veteran Poster

Post by President Aria »

Sakura-chan wrote:I'm sure there is going to be a flurry of people whining and complaining, but the way I see it is that we should be lucky that the Sheraton is even letting them host AB again this year - from what I understand, having their entertainment license suspended (because of idiots at AB!) until June not only affects AB, but many of the other events that the Shertaon holds, which in turn affects them financially.
I'd point out that the Sheraton did not have their entertainment license suspended. It was put on probation. Big difference. Suspended would mean they can't hold any functions, while probation means if there is another incident, then it would lead to suspension.

It's a shame that AB can't have the dance this year, but hopefully next year if they're allowed to have it that they carry over the same policies they were planning on instituting this year. A lot more regulation on that thing was sorely needed, and the changes looked like AB was heading in the right direction with it.
Sakura-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sakura-chan »

Sorry! I got a little caught up in my rant there. :shock: Thank you for the correction.
'06: Sakura (Naruto)
'07: Sakura (Naruto)
'09: Hungary (Hetalia)
'13: Euphemia (Code Geass, for the Spirit Ball!), Rachel Alucard (Blazblue)
'16: Saber EXTRA (Fate/EXTRA), Rose Quartz (SU)
heyyouthere
Expert Poster

Post by heyyouthere »

Agreed with the refund business. Some people pre-reg ASAP expecting another great AB. This past month and a half have been constant changes to what makes AB, AB.
I am sure you have had all/most the DJ's lined up for the event by now?! Maybe there is a way to contact the ones that are still coming and see if they are willing to play at some local clubs in the surrounding area? Also, are there any 18+ clubs near the con?
The only one I found is this, http://www.riseclub.us/event-detail/anime-niacs-2/
But, I think it requires membership?!

I am in the "like to party and dance crowd" and I just want a way to have fun with people that I wouldn't see on a regular weekend.
AB'12-'13
THUR: Harry Potter - Hufflepuff house
FRI: Adventure Time- Finn
SAT: WILDC.A.T.s.(comic) - Grifter
R^V3: FLASH

downwash.tumblr.com
youtube.com/XsteveswansonX
ThatKiddIkumi

Post by ThatKiddIkumi »

This would've been my friday time going and I was so excited, but then you guys made it 18+ and I was just like... TT_TT "WHY?!"
ThatKiddIkumi

Post by ThatKiddIkumi »

First*
Emi
Veteran Poster

Post by Emi »

heyyouthere wrote:Agreed with the refund business. Some people pre-reg ASAP expecting another great AB. This past month and a half have been constant changes to what makes AB, AB.
I am sure you have had all/most the DJ's lined up for the event by now?! Maybe there is a way to contact the ones that are still coming and see if they are willing to play at some local clubs in the surrounding area? Also, are there any 18+ clubs near the con?
The only one I found is this, http://www.riseclub.us/event-detail/anime-niacs-2/
But, I think it requires membership?!

I am in the "like to party and dance crowd" and I just want a way to have fun with people that I wouldn't see on a regular weekend.
You aren't required to have club membership, it is just cheaper if you do and your more likely to get in (members $10, while non-members $20). That said they are running a AB attendee special if you bring your con badge with you of $15, though it isn't required to get into the event since this is not run by AB you just pay more to get in if you leave your badge at your hotel (though you don't run the risk of losing it if you pay the extra $5 and leave it behind).
The facebook event has more details: https://www.facebook.com/events/536664409709357/
Daggerhime
Veteran Poster

Post by Daggerhime »

I have attended the informal dances in the past (although not in over a year, since dances are the most fun with a group of the right friends to dance with!). It is obvious that the Anime Boston staff has exhausted every resource available to them before posting this. Thank you so much for trying your hardest, even through all of the demands for the schedule to be posted!

As far as I am aware, the Hynes Convention Center is open until 3AM. Several friends and myself gathered in one of the hallways last year, and stayed until the Hynes security told us they were about to lock up. I wouldn't worry about the convention center's hours needing to be extended at all. So long as there are panels and other events scheduled, there will be people to attend them.

That's just my input, thou! XD;;;

Cosplay Lineup:
Idia Shroud - Twisted Wonderland
my Warrior of Light in Casual wear gearset - Final Fantasy XIV
khyron
AB Alumni

Post by khyron »

Our contract with they Hynes only allows us to occupy the convention center until 2:00AM. Originally our contract for 2013 only allowed us to use the first and second floors within the facility until 2:00AM. The third floor was scheduled closed at midnight. In order to get more programming hours we requested an addendum to our original contract for the extra time. The process to secure the extra time was a lengthy one. We could not manage it in less than a week.

The costs associated with running the Informal Dance were tied to those of the Formal Ball. Originally both dances were scheduled to happen one after the other in order to share costs and keep expenses down. Unfortunately what this means is that there's no chance for us to get a refund for the resources that we've dedicated to setting up the Castle.
Andrea M. Finnin

Anime Boston:
Executive Adviser 2017
Treasury Staff - 2015
Vice Chair 2005-2006

Maydog
Experienced Poster

Post by Maydog »

We are coming up to Boston from NYC for Anime Boston. As a personal victim of Hurricane Sandy I was more determined than ever after 3 months of partial restoration to get back to a somewhat normal routine. In the past weeks we have watched the City of Boston sort through tragic events and increased focus on safety and security. In the middle of all of this is Anime Boston working along side the City to also continue to provide a normal routine for all of the convention attendees. Anime Boston has been more than open it's communication to everyone about all of the changes every step of the way. I fully understand that for all of the effort that Anime Boston has provided me and my family for the past years, I also will support the AB Team and the City of Boston by attending the convention. Let me please remind everyone of what my family and I have experienced for the years we have visited. That is a beautiful Hynes Convention Center, The beautiful Prudential Center, The great City of Boston with the most hospitable people, and one of the best Anime Conventions in the country. Anime Boston. See you there.
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Post by dokool »

It seems some people need a reminder...
Anime Boston Convention Policies wrote:Membership Badges are non-replaceable, non-refundable, and non-transferable.
In terms of actual running time, the Informal Dance was maybe 2% of the convention's total content, and that's some sketchy napkin math that I'm sure a staffer would love to come in and correct me on. If that number isn't right, I bet the Under.

So, if you spent $50 on 2% of the convention, all I have to say is that a fool and his money are soon parted.

Meanwhile I hope this club thingie does fantastically well. Maybe if it stays around next year, the NEAS can get out of the dance promotion business, which has for years been more trouble than it's worth, and back into the convention business.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

I know this is beyond AB's control, but this year looks more and more grim as we go. Thankfully, I am not a raver so I don't go to these, but I have a friend who does. This sucks for those people interested.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
ohaiitzwill
I'm new!

Post by ohaiitzwill »

Don't need a dance to party!
Calorie
Expert Poster

Post by Calorie »

Never attended informal dances, not my cup of tea. Plus, I'm a little old to be hanging around teenagers. ^^;; I'm not a parent yet...but damn! Things I saw...anyways...

I want to applaud the AB staff for doing their darn best in remediating the situation...regardless of the outcome. It saddens me how some folks ruined last years' event...thus resulting in this. Blows my mind how folks don't understand what goes on to create a convention. If you break a rule, of course there's repercussions. Ugh... come on fire codes, contracts, money goes into making a convention!

Again, I hope in the future people will understand why this happened. If they whine and complain... let them.

Thank you Anime Boston Staff~!

I just hope people don't start playing loud music and congregate in public areas in Hynes or Sheraton/Hilton because of this.
Jekka
AB Alumni

Post by Jekka »

BridgyKitty wrote:
Sakura-chan wrote: If people are still concerned about not having anything to do after the ball on Saturday, I wonder if maybe the staff could hold a second 18+ dating game, or some other kind of game show? It would give people who didn't get into the other game shows a shot, but it may be hard to coordinate so last minute.
I vote for Anime Unscripted. I saw that it was not happening this year and now with no dance as well I am a little disappointed :(

... Wait, it isn't? I wasn't told that it isn't. I think it's still happening. I mean, I'm mostly sure it is?
........ o_o I mean, I hope so, I'll feel awfully silly co-hosting an empty stage.

Jekka Cormier
Game Shows
Chibi Project
Anime Unscripted
BridgyKitty

Post by BridgyKitty »

Jekka wrote:
BridgyKitty wrote:

... Wait, it isn't? I wasn't told that it isn't. I think it's still happening. I mean, I'm mostly sure it is?
........ o_o I mean, I hope so, I'll feel awfully silly co-hosting an empty stage.
I could have sworn I read somewhere in the forums that it wasn't @_@. YAY :D My whole group will be so happy again!

Edit: Look at that, I read that other post completely wrong. I should be more awake when reading the forums, sorry. :) I am glad I was wrong.
Wemble

Post by Wemble »

dokool wrote:It seems some people need a reminder...
Anime Boston Convention Policies wrote:Membership Badges are non-replaceable, non-refundable, and non-transferable.
In terms of actual running time, the Informal Dance was maybe 2% of the convention's total content, and that's some sketchy napkin math that I'm sure a staffer would love to come in and correct me on. If that number isn't right, I bet the Under.

So, if you spent $50 on 2% of the convention, all I have to say is that a fool and his money are soon parted.

Meanwhile I hope this club thingie does fantastically well. Maybe if it stays around next year, the NEAS can get out of the dance promotion business, which has for years been more trouble than it's worth, and back into the convention business.
Who are you to say what people can and can't spend their money on? It's their hard earned money. For all you know the people who do buy these tickets with the Informal Dance being a major reason, do it because 1. They don't know Boston and are afraid to venture out too far in it and want to party. 2. Do it because their friends in similar situations and they want to get together and have fun. Maybe that is worth 50 dollars to them and it isn't your right to basically call them stupid because of it.

As the staff said, these dances are an expected part and a big reason why a lot of people go. I went to the informal dance once and hated it, so it certainly isn't my reason, but I don't think it's unreasonable for it to be a big reason someone goes. Not everyone is going to want to go to a club. Having a party/dance that the convention sets up and going to a normal club are two totally different things. Even I know that.

The site says there's no refunds, but I think it would be a very unwise, inconsiderate thing to not give out some refunds to people when it seems there's so many last minute changes going on that cause some people to become annoyed. Like bag checks, the informal dance being cancelled, and probably some people not wanting to be in Boston right now so soon after a bombing, even if I think that's ridiculous. At this point I wouldn't blame people for not wanting to come back next year.

With the bombing and needing bag checks now that's one thing, that was unavoidable. But you said that for several weeks you've been trying to get this sorted out so you could have the dance and I think it's really discourteous to not even give any notice whatsoever about it possibly not happening. I wouldn't blame people if they didn't want to come back after you pulled something like that on them. It's really irresponsible and inconsiderate.

You could have let people know well in advance about the possibility of this happening and chose not to and even though it doesn't affect me... Quite frankly I find it disgusting and unprofessional.
Goldfish221
Veteran Poster

Post by Goldfish221 »

Wemble wrote:
dokool wrote:It seems some people need a reminder...

Who are you to say what people can and can't spend their money on? It's their hard earned money. For all you know the people who do buy these tickets with the Informal Dance being a major reason, do it because 1. They don't know Boston and are afraid to venture out too far in it and want to party. 2. Do it because their friends in similar situations and they want to get together and have fun. Maybe that is worth 50 dollars to them and it isn't your right to basically call them stupid because of it.

As the staff said, these dances are an expected part and a big reason why a lot of people go. I went to the informal dance once and hated it, so it certainly isn't my reason, but I don't think it's unreasonable for it to be a big reason someone goes. Not everyone is going to want to go to a club. Having a party/dance that the convention sets up and going to a normal club are two totally different things. Even I know that.

The site says there's no refunds, but I think it would be a very unwise, inconsiderate thing to not give out some refunds to people when it seems there's so many last minute changes going on that cause some people to become annoyed. Like bag checks, the informal dance being cancelled, and probably some people not wanting to be in Boston right now so soon after a bombing, even if I think that's ridiculous. At this point I wouldn't blame people for not wanting to come back next year.

With the bombing and needing bag checks now that's one thing, that was unavoidable. But you said that for several weeks you've been trying to get this sorted out so you could have the dance and I think it's really discourteous to not even give any notice whatsoever about it possibly not happening. I wouldn't blame people if they didn't want to come back after you pulled something like that on them. It's really irresponsible and inconsiderate.

You could have let people know well in advance about the possibility of this happening and chose not to and even though it doesn't affect me... Quite frankly I find it disgusting and unprofessional.

Dude no where in Dokool's post did he even imply calling people "stupid" foolish maybe, but not stupid. Also he's not telling people how to spend their money. He was stating that the dance is a small portion of a larger picture, and if you are at an ANIME convention to dance well that is your prerogative but no one should bank on one specific event to go for. The informal dance had been if-y from the get go, if you read the updates, and the AB staff tried working with the town and hotel and it didn't work out this year. And I don't blame them after what happened last year.

And my two cents on refunds is, I don't believe Anime Boston should give refunds. As a con goer I know events and plans change, panels and events can be moved or cancelled at con, it's part of the con experience and "stuff happens" (PG version of the saying :D). But it's an ANIME convention in the end if I just wanted to dance go find a small local gathering or club.

And for your,

"1. They don't know Boston and are afraid to venture out too far in it and want to party.
2. Do it because their friends in similar situations and they want to get together and have fun."

1. A club is no different from the informal dance most years (The only time I remember the informal dance being fairly small was back in 2006/2007). Only the music is slightly different, and if the people you are talking about are to afraid to be around people, AB is isn't going to help, that dance is filled with a bunch of random people that aren't always who you think they are. They can be bad or good it's the same as if you walked into a public place.

2. It's better to be in a group going any where....And if they can't deal with large groups of people then they wouldn't like a club or the informal dance. Both are up close and personal.

[Edit] And I forgot to address, yes people come just for the informal dance, yes it generates more profit for the con, but it also brings more expenses too. Now they need more space, more security, and if anything goes wrong now the whole convention is looked down on.
~Anime Boston 202 Cosplay Line Up~

(Subject to Change)
Jeanne D'arc Alter - Fate Grand Order
Lady Nagant - My Hero Academia
Penny - Pokemon Violet
Liliana Vess -Magic the Gathering
khyron
AB Alumni

Post by khyron »

Let's keep the tone of this thread civil, everyone. Anime Boston is a lot like a certain peanut butter cup, there's almost no wrong way to go about it.

Our policy regarding refunds has been in place for years. That said, we have a Registration Customer Service department to deal with any exceptions to the policy that are made. As an example, I was driving a friend who was in labor to the hospital and was pulled over for speeding. When the cop who pulled us over learned more about why I was speeding I not only didn't get a ticket, but got a police escort to the hospital. The law was clear, what I was doing was illegal, however given the circumstances an exception was made. For anyone who feels that their situation should be considered as an exception to the policy, there's an email address for them to reach out to us - regcs@animeboston.com.

When we were told that we couldn't have the Informal Dance it was late in the game, but not so late that we were out of options. Rather than say the dance is on, now it's off, now it's on again, which is what we would have done if we had found a solution, we opted instead to try to solve the problem before alarming anyone. A deadline was set, and I worked every angle to try to turn the "no" into a "yes." Every day I spent hours attending meetings, sending and replying to emails, visiting City Hall and the Boston Police, and calling around trying to find some way to keep the Informal Dance a part of our programming for the year.

Next year we plan to bring the dance back. We're already talking about these plans with the Sheraton. To make this a reality we really need your help. Remember how I said that there's almost no wrong way to go about enjoying oneself at Anime Boston? Well, one wrong way would be to give the facilities, the police, or the city reasons to think that last year's problems are a ongoing problem, that we can't handle ourselves safely, and we're a bad group. That's why we implore you to help us to have an excellent, problem-free con next weekend. This will help us to ensure that the dance will make a comeback for 2014.

Thanks, everyone.
Andrea M. Finnin

Anime Boston:
Executive Adviser 2017
Treasury Staff - 2015
Vice Chair 2005-2006

tobiinpajamas
Determined Poster

Post by tobiinpajamas »

Honestly, every year the management at anime boston has gotten worse and worse, and what happened last year as a result was super not surprising. The convention seems to think it can still run itself with volunteers...but it's grown tenfold in size and as a result it's now run incredibly poorly. See Anime Boston and how sloppy everything is...then look at PAX, with three times as many people, and how smoothly their show is run. The convention has outgrown its 'nonprofit' parents and it will not surprise me at all if its contract is not renewed after 2015 or whenever the last announced date is.

Tl;dr I'm not surprised at all and I doubt this problem is going to get any better anytime soon.

Also, may I ask why you even scheduled an informal dance when you weren't sure if you had licensing to hold one? A better option would have been to say you were not having one, then overturn it if you in fact had licensing. Again, sloppy.
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Post by dokool »

khyron wrote:Our policy regarding refunds has been in place for years. That said, we have a Registration Customer Service department to deal with any exceptions to the policy that are made. As an example, I was driving a friend who was in labor to the hospital and was pulled over for speeding. When the cop who pulled us over learned more about why I was speeding I not only didn't get a ticket, but got a police escort to the hospital. The law was clear, what I was doing was illegal, however given the circumstances an exception was made. For anyone who feels that their situation should be considered as an exception to the policy, there's an email address for them to reach out to us - regcs@animeboston.com.
A charming anecdote, but it has little to do with this situation. The informal dance being cancelled is basically on the level of a Guest of Honor cancelling, and few if any cons offer refunds in that case.
khyron wrote:When we were told that we couldn't have the Informal Dance it was late in the game, but not so late that we were out of options. Rather than say the dance is on, now it's off, now it's on again, which is what we would have done if we had found a solution, we opted instead to try to solve the problem before alarming anyone. A deadline was set, and I worked every angle to try to turn the "no" into a "yes." Every day I spent hours attending meetings, sending and replying to emails, visiting City Hall and the Boston Police, and calling around trying to find some way to keep the Informal Dance a part of our programming for the year.
That's a lot of manpower wasted on an event that's caused so many headaches for the convention and venues. Imagine what other awesome stuff you'd have been able to come up with if you'd cut your losses from the start and worked on developing alternative programming?
Last edited by dokool on Sun May 19, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tobiinpajamas
Determined Poster

Post by tobiinpajamas »

Dokool just hit the nail on the head--you wasted hours and money planning an event you did not even know if you had licensing for. Why, WHY did you not just come up with some alternative programming?
BizarroTed
I'm new!

Post by BizarroTed »

I registered just so I can reply to this thread.

I know what's happening this year is beyond the staff's control, but in all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if this was the end (or the beginning of the end) of this convention's life. I've been going to this convention every year since 2005 and it's progressively gotten worse. The staff is constantly unprepared and undermanned, scheduling problems got worse each year. This year, we're being stopped and searched at the entrance for bombs and now you're telling me the dance is cancelled? This is your fault and yours alone, don't blame the incompetence of other people. It's your fault you hired them in the first place. Conventions are a business and when people working for a business **** up, they get canned. There's plenty of things your staff of hardworking volunteers could have done to prevent what happened at last year's dance, namely not letting freaking kids into a place full of half-naked grownups who're doing all sorts of drugs. When something like that happens at any other convention, security and staff are all over it like a dog on a ham bone. I remember consistently walking in and out of the dance several times without even being checked for my badge two years ago, that would never happen at big conventions like Otakon or even small ones like Arisia. I was stopped from getting a soda out of the free snackroom this year at Arisia because I didn't have my badge.

Knowing several volunteers from past Anime Boston's and having volunteered myself at two other cons, it's safe to say that Anime Boston doesn't have its **** together.
Am I going to Anime Boston this year? Definitely. Will I still have a good time? Of course I will. Will I return? Probably not. It's been a good run guys, but it's time to jump ship.
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

I, for one, appreciate the candor of NEAS in this matter.

For any group of dedicated people--especially unpaid volunteers!--having to make such a declaration must be embarrassing and painfully unpleasant. No one who takes pride in what they do likes admitting when things go wrong, whether the responsibility is theirs or not. And knowing that the admission will invoke the wrath of their patrons doesn't make it any easier.

If anything, this latest turn of events serves as a reminder that Anime Boston doesn't just pop out of a vacuum--it also requires the cooperation of...

The MCCA and the Hynes
The Sheraton Boston (and the other overflow hotels over the years),
The City of Boston and its various departments (police, fire marshal, and who knows how many others)

...and the NEAS is answerable to every one of them, and most likely to a host of other entities unknown to the average con-goer.

No one can undo the unpleasantness of last year's informal dance, no more than anyone can "fix" this most recent turn of events. And even if Murphy's Law has reared its ugly head, I've no doubt it remains the fervent wish of NEAS to put on the best show possible, come what may.

My greatest concern is that the sting of disappointment may lead to acts that will only make a tense situation even worse: rude or surly behavior in the halls, damage to hotel/Hynes property, or anything else that will give Anime Boston another black eye--or put its future at risk. But as the NEAS is beholden to the above public agencies for its very existence, we attendees have a responsibility to this wonderful event we love so much. That obligation is best discharged by our good grace, our understanding and restraint, and above all our ability to relax and have as much fun as we can!

And that's what AB is all about: the fun...the fun we have attending, and the fun (co-mingled with a lot of hard work) that NEAS has in bringing it to us year after year. I say that we all make the best of the situation and have our fun wherever we can find it.

See you all soon! :)
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

Master of NERV wrote:
My greatest concern is that the sting of disappointment may lead to acts that will only make a tense situation even worse: rude or surly behavior in the halls, damage to hotel/Hynes property, or anything else that will give Anime Boston another black eye--or put its future at risk. But as the NEAS is beholden to the above public agencies for its very existence, we attendees have a responsibility to this wonderful event we love so much. That obligation is best discharged by our good grace, our understanding and restraint, and above all our ability to relax and have as much fun as we can!
I share your concerns. But I know my friends and I will have a great time (we aren't dance-goers), and I have every intention of returning for the future years ^^
A swirly ice-cream cone of good and evil
AB 10: Ryo-ohki
AB 11: Touko Amano, Luna in cat form, Ryo-ohki
AB 12: Belarus, Hungary, fem!Canada
AB 13 : Eponine, GLaDOS, Sunako Nakahara
AB 14 : Princess Cadance, GLaDOS, Applejack
AB 15: Makise Kurisu
AB 16: GLaDOS, Steampunk Alice, Scarlet Benoit
AB 17: Ryo-ohki, Rei Hino (school uniform), Sunako Nakahara
AB 18: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles), casual steampunk
Calorie
Expert Poster

Post by Calorie »

BizarroTed wrote:I registered just so I can reply to this thread.

I know what's happening this year is beyond the staff's control, but in all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if this was the end (or the beginning of the end) of this convention's life. I've been going to this convention every year since 2005 and it's progressively gotten worse. The staff is constantly unprepared and undermanned, scheduling problems got worse each year. This year, we're being stopped and searched at the entrance for bombs and now you're telling me the dance is cancelled? This is your fault and yours alone, don't blame the incompetence of other people. It's your fault you hired them in the first place. Conventions are a business and when people working for a business **** up, they get canned. There's plenty of things your staff of hardworking volunteers could have done to prevent what happened at last year's dance, namely not letting freaking kids into a place full of half-naked grownups who're doing all sorts of drugs. When something like that happens at any other convention, security and staff are all over it like a dog on a ham bone. I remember consistently walking in and out of the dance several times without even being checked for my badge two years ago, that would never happen at big conventions like Otakon or even small ones like Arisia. I was stopped from getting a soda out of the free snackroom this year at Arisia because I didn't have my badge.

Knowing several volunteers from past Anime Boston's and having volunteered myself at two other cons, it's safe to say that Anime Boston doesn't have its **** together.
Am I going to Anime Boston this year? Definitely. Will I still have a good time? Of course I will. Will I return? Probably not. It's been a good run guys, but it's time to jump ship.
The MCCA are the ones who's doing the searches not AB folks (I think you know that, just clarifying it for others).
As a Bostonian, this is the way it's going to be after the horrific events which happened during the Marathon and I accept it. Heck...going to a Bruins game at the TD Garden, I get searched now...I'm not complaining.

While I do somewhat agree with you in regards to how things ran during the dances. From an outsider's point of view...there are things that need to stop happening in informal dances..which I won't mention in the forums. AB staff really need to enforce more in dances. I volunteered with AB in the distance past and now PAX... there are definitely a huge difference based on the volunteer pool... namely the age difference. I'll stop now. But I do agree with you and I still applaud AB staff at least for their efforts.
tobiinpajamas
Determined Poster

Post by tobiinpajamas »

1. Anyone who even looked SIDEWAYS at those dances could have told you what was going on inside them. It was no great secret and anime boston staff did NOTHING to prevent the drug use and did nothing to prevent minors from getting into the dance until something bad happened. The use of drugs at the informal dance has never been some kind of big secret--everyone has always known about it. They could have put a stop to it four or five years ago, but they allowed it to continue.

(Points two and three have been edited due to non factual information. I was wrong and don't want to lead others to thinking I am not wrong if they read it.)

Now, I will also still be going this year and I will certainly have a good time--but this will probably be my last.
Last edited by tobiinpajamas on Tue May 21, 2013 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.