Formal Ball Information

This forum covers Anime Boston events that don't fit in the above forums, such as the charity auction, game shows, dances, and karaoke.
Faceman
AB Executive

Formal Ball Information

Post by Faceman »

Information for this year's Formal Ball is now available. Please read the page for information on purchasing tickets and the Dress Code.

Those of you who would like to cosplay at the Formal Ball may read the Formal Ball Guide for inspiration on making your costume work!
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Re: Formal Ball Information

Post by waynoinsano »

I see that the dress code says no school uniform but what about male characters slacks blazer and tie? I'm assuming it's more for the girls sailor-suit uniforms and the like.
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

We encourage people to try and think about what their character would wear to a formal event, which is probably not their school uniform. (Think Ouran High School Host Club.) That said, if your costume follows the guidelines for a suit, it will be allowed.
Amy Caluori
Formal Dance Coordinator 2010-2018
Press Liaison 2014-2015
Formal Dance Staff 2007-2009
banjkazfan
I'm new!

Post by banjkazfan »

Hi, I was wondering if a yukata would be considered formal enough for the formal ball? It's cotton, but it definitely shares a style with kimonos - I thought the cotton wouldn't be nearly as hot as silk. If not, that's fine; I just wanted to ask. Thank you in advance!
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

A yukata is not the same as a formal kimono, and would not be appropriate.
Amy Caluori
Press Liaison 2014-2015
banjkazfan
I'm new!

Post by banjkazfan »

Okay, thank you for your help!
Akimichi Sazuki
Determined Poster

Post by Akimichi Sazuki »

Would this be allowed?
You will never understand the depth of our pride
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

That is allowed. And pretty sharp, too.
Amy Caluori
Press Liaison 2014-2015
thepolishpixie
Experienced Poster

Post by thepolishpixie »

Wow! This should be the model pic for anyone unsure about their outfit for the Formal Ball. Don Draper would be jealous ;)
2013 Cosplays
Korra- Legend of Korra
Rapunzel- Tangled-inspired (steampunk influence)

2012 Cosplays
Rapunzel- Tangled (short hair)
thepolishpixie
Experienced Poster

Post by thepolishpixie »

I have a question about the Formal Ball venue- what is the dance floor like? Is it the same size as the floor at the Sheraton? Will the floor be divided for beginners and advanced? Or will we share the same floor as we have in previous years?

I only ask as the bf and I are brushing up on our ballroom skills with some lessons, and our teacher has inquired about the floor. Last year the floor was a good size, but the floor navigation was tricky. We could move pretty well through 3/4 of the floor, and the the last 1/4 was congested with beginner dancers who didn't feel comfortable using the whole area. I know organizers try to get beginners to use the center of the floor, so more experienced dancers can use the outer edge, but that never seems to pan out ;) We just want to know if we should concentrate more on hesitation steps during the lesson or whether we can get fancy with some twinkles.

Bought a brand new dress for the Ball this year, can't wait to waltz in it!!!!
2013 Cosplays
Korra- Legend of Korra

2012 Cosplays
LadyFae
AB Alumni

Post by LadyFae »

without commenting whatsoever on the new venue or its floor (I'm not in the know on those specifics)

I will tell you from many years of experience dancing many places....YES YES YES if you are brushing up on your dance for the event, work on your hesitation and navigation steps!! I would also suggest spending some time on your connection in addition to the general floorcraft.

A good vocabulary for crowded dancing and a strong connection is the only reason my husband and I manage to make actual laps around the floor in a lot of places :)

Here are some steps I find particularly useful, though your instructor may call them something different depending on her school of training:

Waltz - Balance steps, oversways, underarm turn can help if you're blocked in but have a circle of space

Foxtrot - hesitation steps, left and right turns, FoxBox, pivots and sways if you're a little more advanced

Tango- ochos, leg hooks, lunges, headsnaps. There's alot of super fun moves you can do in a small space, but I'll admit a lot depends on how strong your leader is on his floorcraft :)

Rhumba- not really a traveler anyway heh. I tend to avoid latin walks though, as they eat up alot of floor.

Hope that was a little helpful! :) I will not be teaching the beginners lesson at con this year (though I may try to visit,) but I'm leaving you all in excellent hands!
Rebecca Irvin Lee, lady of many hats

Anime Boston Executive Team (GR, Relations, PR, GR) 2002-2008,2013-2016
AB Formal Co-Chair 2006-2009
Ballroom Dance Instructor 2008-2012
21+ Lounge coordinator 2010-2014
NEAS Board Member 2002-2003, 2011-2016
Sakura-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sakura-chan »

Oh geez, all of this is like Greek to me. I really need to attend the pre-ball dancing class... :oops:

Also, a question about that..Should we come dressed in our outfits for the ball, or just anything?
'06: Sakura (Naruto)
'07: Sakura (Naruto)
'09: Hungary (Hetalia)
'13: Euphemia (Code Geass, for the Spirit Ball!), Rachel Alucard (Blazblue)
'16: Saber EXTRA (Fate/EXTRA), Rose Quartz (SU)
Akimichi Sazuki
Determined Poster

Post by Akimichi Sazuki »

Thanks guys ^^;. Speaking of dance classes, has there been a official time and room selected for the formal dance practice?
You will never understand the depth of our pride
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

The schedule still hasn't been finalized, so no, there is not an official time and place for the dance class yet.

That said, there is no dress code for the dance class, and you can wear whatever. I recommend bringing your dance shoes to practice in, though. It makes a world of difference. It's not required, however.
Amy Caluori
Press Liaison 2014-2015
thepolishpixie
Experienced Poster

Post by thepolishpixie »

LadyFae wrote:without commenting whatsoever on the new venue or its floor (I'm not in the know on those specifics)

I will tell you from many years of experience dancing many places....YES YES YES if you are brushing up on your dance for the event, work on your hesitation and navigation steps!! I would also suggest spending some time on your connection in addition to the general floorcraft.

A good vocabulary for crowded dancing and a strong connection is the only reason my husband and I manage to make actual laps around the floor in a lot of places :)

Here are some steps I find particularly useful, though your instructor may call them something different depending on her school of training:

Waltz - Balance steps, oversways, underarm turn can help if you're blocked in but have a circle of space

Foxtrot - hesitation steps, left and right turns, FoxBox, pivots and sways if you're a little more advanced

Tango- ochos, leg hooks, lunges, headsnaps. There's alot of super fun moves you can do in a small space, but I'll admit a lot depends on how strong your leader is on his floorcraft :)

Rhumba- not really a traveler anyway heh. I tend to avoid latin walks though, as they eat up alot of floor.

Hope that was a little helpful! :) I will not be teaching the beginners lesson at con this year (though I may try to visit,) but I'm leaving you all in excellent hands!
I'm printing this out and bringing it to our next lesson! Thanks so much for the advice :D
2013 Cosplays
Korra- Legend of Korra

2012 Cosplays
vulpixi_misa
Experienced Poster

Post by vulpixi_misa »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask the question but I wanted to know how quickly the at-Con tickets for the ball sells out usually? I would purchase my ticket online but I'm not sure if I can get my dress finished by then and I don't know if I can get a refund or what if I get refused for a different outfit even though I bought a ticket in advance.
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

In the past, the bulk of the at-con tickets sell out within 1-2 hours.
Amy Caluori
Press Liaison 2014-2015
vulpixi_misa
Experienced Poster

Post by vulpixi_misa »

Would it be okay if I confirmed my outfit here on the thread or would that be moving off topic? I had already emailed staff last year about the outfit (but I had not attended last year) so taking up the advice, I modified the cosplay to look like this. The skirt is past the knee and I have a pair of high heel boots for it.
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

I would actually prefer people post their dress code questions here, it means I know where to find them.

The dress looks fine, but boots of any kind are not allowed at the ball.
Amy Caluori
Press Liaison 2014-2015
Sanctjud
AB Alumni

Post by Sanctjud »

Miyu chan wrote:In the past, the bulk of the at-con tickets sell out within 1-2 hours.
Indeed, if you want tickets, try to be there early 'cause the at-con's are (obviously) first come, first serve.
Andrew Lee
Formal Ball Staff 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018!
I highly suggest volunteering for Anime Boston! ^_^
GoneToLunch
AB Alumni

Post by GoneToLunch »

I have a Cheongsam Similar to the one depicted, would that be alright to wear? If its not would a Salsa dress be alright? (mine is a similar cut to the other picture)
ImageImage

Thank you for your help.
~Gypsy
Roseleni or Rose or Rosie
Anime Boston
Jr Tech Staff 2010 and 2012
Senior Tech Staff 2011, 2013 and 2014
Tech Special Projects 2015-2020

Otakon
Main Events Staff 2010-2011
Radios 2011-2016

Bakuretsucon
Volunteer Coordinator 2010-2012
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

The cheongsam is fine with proper accessories. The salsa dress is too short for the dress code.
Amy Caluori
Press Liaison 2014-2015
GoneToLunch
AB Alumni

Post by GoneToLunch »

Thank you for the information. I really didn't want to have to resort to wearing the same dress as last time I went.
Roseleni or Rose or Rosie
Anime Boston
Jr Tech Staff 2010 and 2012
Senior Tech Staff 2011, 2013 and 2014
Tech Special Projects 2015-2020

Otakon
Main Events Staff 2010-2011
Radios 2011-2016

Bakuretsucon
Volunteer Coordinator 2010-2012
Agent_k13
I'm new!

Post by Agent_k13 »

I have a Business type suit dress. It is a black sorta pin striped spag dress that goes down to just above my knee cap, and comes with a matching long sleeve jacket that is equal length. Would this be allowed? I cant figure out how to upload a photo. :\ Its something I could wear if I worked at an office or bank, went to a wedding etc. Nothing shows etc.
I know it says I just joined the forums etc. but ive been going to Anime Boston since 2007. I had a forum account along time ago..never really used it... forgot it and well..here I am again =]
So...
HELLO EVERYONE :))))) Im excited to see you all again soon!!!
coffeecake
Veteran Poster

Post by coffeecake »

I have this dress here:
http://hottopic.scene7.com/is/image/Hot ... product_lg$ (front)

http://hottopic.scene7.com/is/image/Hot ... product_lg$ (back)

Is this acceptable? I have other dresses to choose from if it's not, but would like to know in advance. I also have the proper shoes to go with the above mentioned dress.
Anime Boston 2024:
Forest Minish (Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap)
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

Agent_k13 wrote:I have a Business type suit dress. It is a black sorta pin striped spag dress that goes down to just above my knee cap, and comes with a matching long sleeve jacket that is equal length. Would this be allowed? I cant figure out how to upload a photo. :\ Its something I could wear if I worked at an office or bank, went to a wedding etc. Nothing shows etc.
This sounds fine.
Amy Caluori
Press Liaison 2014-2015
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

almightycows wrote:I have this dress here:
http://hottopic.scene7.com/is/image/Hot ... product_lg$ (front)

http://hottopic.scene7.com/is/image/Hot ... product_lg$ (back)

Is this acceptable? I have other dresses to choose from if it's not, but would like to know in advance. I also have the proper shoes to go with the above mentioned dress.

Since the overskirt is so sheer, I'm going to suggest that you find another dress, one that comes to at least your knees.
Amy Caluori
Press Liaison 2014-2015
coffeecake
Veteran Poster

Post by coffeecake »

alright, well thank you very much for the response!
Anime Boston 2024:
Forest Minish (Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap)
kaitanuva
Getting the hang of this...

Post by kaitanuva »

I LOVE how the ball and the masquerade do not coincide with each other anymore! I had to choose between the two last year.
Hearts4Cloud
I'm new!

Post by Hearts4Cloud »

My friends and I bought Formal Ball tickets online and on the schedule it says that the time for pick-up is 12:00pm - 1:00pm, the thing is, we're traveling pretty far in order to go to this convention and don't know if we'll be in time for the pick-up. Is there something we can do to ensure we get the Formal Ball tickets?
~*~Tyifa~*~
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

If you purchase tickets online and can't make it to pick up, you can still collect your tickets at the door.
Amy Caluori
Press Liaison 2014-2015
Micah
Experienced Poster

Post by Micah »

Is it required that you know how to dance to attend? I'm most likely not going to be able to make it to the dance lessons.
AB 2013
Jake English (.Homestuck.)
AB 2014
Mable Pines (.Gravity Falls.)
Rocket Grunt(.Pokemon.)
AB 2015
Rocket Grunt(.Pokemon.)
Faun
AB 2016
Red Robin (.DC.)
Arsenal (.DC.)
kaitanuva
Getting the hang of this...

Post by kaitanuva »

screamingthesilence wrote:Is it required that you know how to dance to attend? I'm most likely not going to be able to make it to the dance lessons.
No. I went last year without knowing how and people were more than happy to lead you. Just remember to return the favor once you've learned yourself.
Micah
Experienced Poster

Post by Micah »

Alright, thanks!
AB 2013
AB 2014
Rocket Grunt(.Pokemon.)
AB 2015