Changes to Hynes Convention Center Entry Procedures

This forum contains discussion about all news and announcements related to Anime Boston.
Faceman
AB Executive

Changes to Hynes Convention Center Entry Procedures

Post by Faceman »

In light of the recent Patriots' Day tragedy that happened only yards from the Hynes Convention Center last month, the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority has decided to institute a policy of bag inspection at all entrances to the building.

If you are carrying a bag, please be prepared to submit it for a brief inspection by MCCA security personnel whenever you enter the Hynes this year. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Help us show the city that Anime Boston is Boston Strong by moving quickly and efficiently through the line so we can minimize the impact on our traffic flow.

We thank you for your cooperation and understanding. Please direct any questions about this or any other security policy to Shamus Mahan, our Head of Security. He can be reached here on our Contact Page.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
Naomi-Ai
Experienced Poster

Re: Changes to Hynes Convention Center Entry Procedures

Post by Naomi-Ai »

Many people might not be too happy about this, but I think in light of recent events this is a great idea. Safety is a top priority especially when there are a lot of people so close together.

With this addition, it might be a good time to talk about traffic flow at entrances and exits. In all the years I have attended, it has always been a congested mess (though by the end of the weekend last year, security had almost gotten entering and exiting traffic to different doors to reduce traffic jams, the jams were still there and they were still bad) I hope you guys are thinking about ways to streamline entering and exiting the center, especially since there will be bag checks. I know you guys will come up with something, you have in the past (linecon anyone?).

Keep up the great work guys, without you, we would not be able to have such a great con :)
AB 2013
-----
Fri - ???
Sat - Classic Lolita
Sun - lolita!fem!Sweden
KatrinaDraws
Expert Poster

Post by KatrinaDraws »

This will be a pain for me personally trying to carry a bunch of artists' alley stuff, but I'm really glad you guys decided to do this. Better to play it safe.

I might as well ask while I am here since it is semi-relevant and I haven't been able to get a definitive answer...I'm allowed to have and/or won't get in trouble for bringing in a button press and a circle hole punch thing, right? I've seen people in the artists' alley with them before, but I want to make sure I won't have a hassle with security. Thanks :)
waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Post by waynoinsano »

Is there a list of allowed non-allowed item for Hynes?
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

waynoinsano wrote:Is there a list of allowed non-allowed item for Hynes?
http://www.animeboston.com/coninfo/conv ... ited_items
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
Mosquito1945
AB Staff

Post by Mosquito1945 »

I'm allowed to have and/or won't get in trouble for bringing in a button press and a circle hole punch thing, right?
This is clearly a device with a very specific, non-threatening purpose. You should be fine. Be upfront about it and if security asks you to remove it or for them to inspect it, just do what they request.

Remember, the MCCA isn't implementing this to be a hassle, they just want to make sure that everybody is as safe as they can be.
Kate Harrison
Asst. Merchandising Manager
CaptainKay
Getting the hang of this...

Post by CaptainKay »

Quick question about all the recent changes in policies. I understand if you can't answer now but here goes. Will the changes of the policies, ie the recent prop change and this change, ever be retracted in the future?

I understand all the changes in security due to recent events and that you're trying your best to keep us all safe but it's starting to get a tad heavy handed.
The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be-DNA

Anime Boston 2014 Cosplay:
Momiji (Good Luck Girl!)
Osgood (The Day of the Doctor)
Mataichi (Requiem from the Darkness)
Renovence
I'm new!

Post by Renovence »

I'm just wondering right now, how much of an affect does this have with bringing props?
lordshamus
AB Staff

Post by lordshamus »

CaptainKay wrote:Quick question about all the recent changes in policies. I understand if you can't answer now but here goes. Will the changes of the policies, ie the recent prop change and this change, ever be retracted in the future?

I understand all the changes in security due to recent events and that you're trying your best to keep us all safe but it's starting to get a tad heavy handed.
Please remember, these policies were not the decision of Anime Boston, and you are essentially hearing them shortly after we do. The first security-thing I will try to do for next year is try to get rid of them. Whether the Hynes adopts these procedures forever and always is a decision the MCCA is going to be making without any input from us. It would be irresponsible of us to make predictions. I can only ask for you to bear with these slight inconveniences for this year, and we'll see what happens for 2014.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Shamus Mahan
Legatus Legionis
AB Security
Consul
NEAS

“Uneasy lies the head that wears a hilarious novelty hat.” -Wm Shakespeare
KatrinaDraws
Expert Poster

Post by KatrinaDraws »

Mosquito wrote:
I'm allowed to have and/or won't get in trouble for bringing in a button press and a circle hole punch thing, right?
This is clearly a device with a very specific, non-threatening purpose. You should be fine. Be upfront about it and if security asks you to remove it or for them to inspect it, just do what they request.

Remember, the MCCA isn't implementing this to be a hassle, they just want to make sure that everybody is as safe as they can be.
Thank you :D

I absolutely understand/respect the decision to have bag inspection, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to get suddenly scolded by security when I showed up with it.
Kasutieru
Determined Poster

Post by Kasutieru »

Faceman wrote:
waynoinsano wrote:Is there a list of allowed non-allowed item for Hynes?
http://www.animeboston.com/coninfo/conv ... ited_items
Could there be items that aren't on this list that would be considered prohibited items? I had heard one year no food, liquids, containers, etc. were allowed in the Hynes along with the items mentioned on the list.
Anime Boston 2018
Female Rakan, League of Legends

Past Cosplays
'17 P.P Draven
'16 P.P Draven, French Maid Draven
'15 Ahri
'14 Yin, Headmistress Fiora
'13 Cynthia, Fem Shizuo
'12 Ronald Knox, Fem Shizuo
'11 Kikyo, Cynthia
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Post by Phantom 1 »

I won't lie, it's going to be a hassel for me since my backpack is like my emergency kit (in that it contains spare batteries, water, advil, chargers for my devices, condoms, etc...). In light of this, I'm going to leave it in my hotel room and only bring the plastic bag that AB gives you (unless I can find my blue cloth AB bag in the next two weeks).
DrakaDark
Veteran Poster

Post by DrakaDark »

So just got back from work and my roommate is not happy with the current change. I just ignore him how he over reacts to pretty much everything. In light of recent event that happened last month most of us where expecting something like this. Though it does suck and if its not staffed with a lot of people and not organized this may become a problem and we will have a reappearance of Line-con. Even with that the Hynes is just trying to stay safe. Many events around the country and implementing new procedures this year because of the bombing. We also have a chance of this being a one year thing. Remember we become supper bad crazy after something bad happened. Remember the lines at the airport after 9/11.

I have a recommendation of sizing down to a small bag of purse. I usually carry around this mini backpack that only has two pockets just to carry my cell, wallet, and camera around with me. Sometimes the makeup I need to touch up for my cosplays, but try avoiding bringing everything with you. Remember people there is a cosplay repair station for most of your needs if not run back to your room.

I notice someone mentioned something about artist alley. You should be able to get into the con and the artist room before the con official starts this should make it easier to have your stuffed checked and there should be no line. If you get there Thursday you might be able to bring stuff in that day as well I would recommend contacting staff and asking.

I also think that prop check should be moved to outside the con to a room on the first floor in the Sheraton. This way a prop is checked and approved before ur bag checked. This way all you have to do is show what ever way AB approves props to the bag checker and their should be no problems.

Please don't be like my roommate and have a panic attack and start saying you aren't coming or this will be your last year. your getting a bag checked, if you don't have a bag then no problem. if you do try limiting what you bring. Also lets not forget that this might be just for this year.
BaffledPrince
Veteran Poster

Post by BaffledPrince »

Hmm this has me really curious of how things will be run. I agree that it is a great idea, and it really isn't anything crazy or unheard of. Lots of big public events have bag checks that I have been to.

My only real thing I am super curious about is what about people without bags? I know that I don't ever bring a bag into the con center because it is a hassle, and I know other people that don't either. It would be a shame to get caught up in the mess of bag check when you don't have one. I am hoping there will be a spot for people without bags to enter.
Sefam
Experienced Poster

Post by Sefam »

Just heard about this. Trying to spread the word as much as possible.

I do understand the reason this is being implemented, and I complained some time ago about the uselessness of prop checking since I can just bring my can of grape juice in the building without anybody bothering me. Now this can't happen as much.

However, this might make quite a bunch of people angry. What happened at Katsucon with the BBYO youth group blocking off a photoshoot area and hassling cosplayers constantly serves as a good reminder that these kinds of things can go sour fast. At least the Hynes Convention Center is communicating their intentions before the convention, unlike the Gaylord National. But hopefully, everything will go fine and we can enjoy a good convention.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

...Will pass the news along via my Wordpress Blog and You Tube Channel later this evening ^_^

The fact that we know two weeks in advance is very helpful for those of us coming with props, cosplay, art panels and/or Panel Equipment.

I have three questions, Lord Shamus:

1. Will you guys send out an email to those who've already preregistered? Not everyone like myself follows AB News via Social Media Sites.

2. I'll go into detail on this due to an idea in lieu of this but this is for 2014 onward: Will you guys give Hynes Security a list of eveyone who will be one or more of the following?

- Regular Panelist (not guest panelists)
- Guest of Honor (Panelists, Musicians, etc.)
- Artist in Artist Alley
- Vendor in Dealers' Room

I know you probably can't answer that right now but I'm hoping that if so, the security check-in process could be expedited moving forward for people who fall in one of those categories.

3. How will AB Security's Prop Check-In be effected by this? My reccommendation personally would be to have AB Security work alongside Hynes Security so that they can clear weapon props at the door during the initial check-in.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
LittleShadowPC
Determined Poster

Post by LittleShadowPC »

I, personally, find this a great thing. It is for safety and so the convention can go on smoothly. I've been to many places (Disney World for example) where they do routine bag checks with every entrance and it goes quite quickly and easily when the bag owners cooperate. I'm sure some follow con-goers will be disgruntled, but it is ultimately in favor of the fun weekend that will be given to us. Safety is Boston's number priority at the moment and we should allow them to make their decisions without getting so upset about it. Sure, it might impede someone's fun for a moment, but it will make many others feel a whole lot safer in their environment after the terrible recent events.

If everyone could cooperate with this policy as well as the updated props policy, it would make this process a lot easier for con-goers, staff, and anyone else to be involved.

Everyone just wants to have a rockin' weekend, and we will! But we will also be safe! :3
AB '09
AB '10
AB '11
AB '12
AB '13
AB '14

Anime Boston 2015; Get Ready to Battle!

Cosplay Plans~*
Wadanohara- Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea (100%)
Toph- Avatar: The Last Airbender (100%)

(*ノ∀`*)
Cave
AB Staff

Post by Cave »

I think this is a great idea. When I lived in DC, a LOT of places had bag checking and it was always pretty quick. It's not like it's airport security where you have to take off shoes and stuff. :P Just a quick poke around the bag.

Downsizing to a smaller bag to make things quicker though is definitely good advice.
Heather Auxier
Karaoke Co-coordinator 2023-2024
Karaoke Staff 2010-2022
Registration Staff 2009
President Aria
Veteran Poster

Post by President Aria »

The bag checks don't bother me so much as security guards not allowing me back in to the convention center after 10 PM through the street entrance, telling me the convention is done for the night even though there most certainly are still panels going on. And then getting nasty because I tell them they're wrong. Anyways, as long as people aren't getting all uppity about having their bags checked, it shouldn't cause too much congestion. Depends on how zealous the security guards are I guess.
HelloGoodbye
Expert Poster

Post by HelloGoodbye »

I think this is a great idea, personally. You can never be too careful! And so long as everyone cooperates and no one gets upset it should move quickly. I think most people will be pretty tolerant of it, since it is for everyone's safety. Like someone earlier mentioned they do it at Disney World, Canobie Lake Park, etc. and it always goes very efficiently.
2013 was my first Anime Boston ever!! And it was awesome!
~Cosplay~
2013- Edward Elric (FMA)
2014- Edward Elric (FMA)Haru (Tsuritama)Tamaki Suoh (Ouran High School Host Club)
2015-Pre-RegTamaki Suoh (Ouran High School Host Club)FriRin (Blue Exorcist) SatHaru (Tsuritama) SunArmin (Attack on Titan)
The_Dessert_Witch
Veteran Poster

Post by The_Dessert_Witch »

While I completely understand this and support this change, I do have one concern. I do tend to get overheated frequently, and I am also pre-diabetic. My mother has the same issues, and she will be going this year as well.

The concern about liquid containers was brought up, but not answered. Now, every AB, I always bring a water bottle or two to keep myself hydrated, and not collapsing, as well as a small some food item in case my blood sugar drops too low. These are not on the list, however I am concerned about this as well, for both my sake and my mother's.

That is my only concern, however, and again I do understand and support this. I am just concerned, for health-related reasons.
2011: Theresa (Fable II, Fable III) (Fri, Sun)/OC Post-Apocalyptic Pokemon Trainer (Sat)
2012: Charlotte's Tumor Form v. 1 (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) (All)
2013: Charlotte's Tumor Form v. 1 (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) (All)
2014: Projected: Dead!Mami in Charlotte Hoodie (Puella Magi Madoka Magica), Tsukimi and Clara(Princess Jellyfish)
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

The_Dessert_Witch wrote: That is my only concern, however, and again I do understand and support this. I am just concerned, for health-related reasons.
We have not been told that the MCCA be doing "TSA style" bag screening. What we have been told is that the MCCA will be doing basic bag checks similar to what you would have at a concert or at an amusement park.

We have NOT been told they will be screening for food and beverage. The interactions and communications we have had with the MCCA have shown that they are aware of our event and of you our attendees. Believe me our staff is working with the MCCA and in daily communication with them to ensure that the impact on our event will be a minmal as we can reasonably make it while ensuring the safety and security of our event and their building.
Michael Lee
Director of Technical Operations
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

So, every time we enter the convention doors, we need to be inspected?.... Like, go in, get inspected, come out, go to dunkin donuts, come back in, get inspected, go to an event, head back to the hotel for a half an hour or an hour, come back, get inspected again... and for about 20,000 people?.... I dunno about this.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

Yukito Kunisaki wrote:So, every time we enter the convention doors, we need to be inspected?.... Like, go in, get inspected, come out, go to dunkin donuts, come back in, get inspected, go to an event, head back to the hotel for a half an hour or an hour, come back, get inspected again... and for about 20,000 people?.... I dunno about this.

That is correct. That is what is going to happen.
Michael Lee
Director of Technical Operations
Naokichan
Veteran Poster

Post by Naokichan »

Despite that this may cause a even bigger traffic jam for actually getting into the convention, I think this is a very smart idea on Anime Boston's part. I'd rather wait in a really long line to get a bag checked if it meant that we were all being protected and being safe. I've been through bag checks many times at Disney World so I don't see there being much of a difference lol.
Anime Boston 2016 Cosplays:
Sadness from Inside Out
Ciel Phantomhive from Black Butler
Chat Noir from Miraculous
Modern England from Hetalia

Anime Boston 2017 Cosplays:
Chat Noir from Miraculous
Mei from Overwatch
Pyrrha Nikos school outfit from RWBY
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

From a threat mitigation point of view, it does little but move the biggest target to being that huge group of people trying to get in. It makes everyone feel better though.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
ssgOverlord

Post by ssgOverlord »

The only real inconvenience for me is being more careful with time if I leave the convention center for any reason, like to the mall or hotel. I guess I'll find out just how careful I have to be when the time comes.
2015: Ichgo from Aikatsu and Arino from GameCenter CX
Sakura-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sakura-chan »

^ This is a concern I was having a well (while I wholeheartedly agree with the bag checks.)

Are we going to have to worry about getting stopped or chastised if we are going in and out during the wee hours of the morning? I'm sure I am not the only one who stays out past midnight at panels, getting food or just goofing off.
'06: Sakura (Naruto)
'07: Sakura (Naruto)
'09: Hungary (Hetalia)
'13: Euphemia (Code Geass, for the Spirit Ball!), Rachel Alucard (Blazblue)
'16: Saber EXTRA (Fate/EXTRA), Rose Quartz (SU)
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Aidan2 wrote:
Yukito Kunisaki wrote:So, every time we enter the convention doors, we need to be inspected?.... Like, go in, get inspected, come out, go to dunkin donuts, come back in, get inspected, go to an event, head back to the hotel for a half an hour or an hour, come back, get inspected again... and for about 20,000 people?.... I dunno about this.

That is correct. That is what is going to happen.

....How many security checkers are going to be at each entry point?....

I understand and appreciate the security measures, but I can see this generating a line extending a mile down the hallway. There already is a line that forms for registration, but this is the kind of line people will have to enter every day multiple times, and for that reason, people will enter the convention, and refuse to leave to avoid the line, thus creating an overflow of people in the main convention center itself.

I also worry that the security will either half-ass the security check just by a quick look in a bag, then pass the inspectee off quick without assurance, or go so overboard that one person will enter every 2-3 minutes. People will miss the events, the corridors will be jammed and more because people won't want to leave the convention to get in line all over again. I know I won't.

Again, I appreciate the idea, but I just see this ending as "Linecon 3000" here.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
Shinden
Veteran Poster

Post by Shinden »

This is precisely the issue I was afraid of.

Hopefully the bag checks will be similar to the bag checks done at DC landmarks (jus open your bag and let someone see in for like two seconds) and not a comprehensive , compartment-by-conpartment search like airport security.

Honestly, if this is to becomep the norm, you can expect this to be my last AB. Between this and the badge price skyrocketing to near-Otacon levels, I just don't see any of this worth the hassle. I can find other ways to spend my money.
2012: I, Otaku
2013: off
2014: An Introduction to Kill La Kill
2015: Beyond Honnouji
2016: Japanophile's Guide to Boston, Nippon wo Mamore
2017: All About the Imperial Family
2018: Contrasts of Tezuka
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

Wow, I took a look at Facebook and couldn't believe the crazy responses to this news O_o
I know for myself I will definitely be bringing a smaller bag, and I am definitely going to cut back on what I pack.
I agree with the comments that a good amount of public events have checks. It all depends on how it's handled by security. Disney World was a breeze, and any concerts I've gone to were not difficult at all. I just hope with everyone else that traffic flow will be handled well. But I have faith in the AB staff ^^
A swirly ice-cream cone of good and evil
AB 10: Ryo-ohki
AB 11: Touko Amano, Luna in cat form, Ryo-ohki
AB 12: Belarus, Hungary, fem!Canada
AB 13 : Eponine, GLaDOS, Sunako Nakahara
AB 14 : Princess Cadance, GLaDOS, Applejack
AB 15: Makise Kurisu
AB 16: GLaDOS, Steampunk Alice, Scarlet Benoit
AB 17: Ryo-ohki, Rei Hino (school uniform), Sunako Nakahara
AB 18: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles), casual steampunk
Sefam
Experienced Poster

Post by Sefam »

ssgOverlord wrote:The only real inconvenience for me is being more careful with time if I leave the convention center for any reason, like to the mall or hotel. I guess I'll find out just how careful I have to be when the time comes.
I'm not a staffer, but I've been involved with conventions other than Anime Boston before, and I can say this much:

To all the people above, especially Shinden, please take note that this isn't in any way, shape, or form Anime Boston's fault, I am pretty sure that they do not want this for the same reasons me and many people have outlined before: this will only stop idiots at the detriment of everyone, not anybody slightly intelligent or insane who wants to hurt people. The MCAA has twitter accounts, and I am sure there are ways to contact them to complaint about this.

This policy is not a result of the convention's organization. Please don't let this get in the way of your enjoyment of the convention.

However, I for one, would like to know for one how entering the convention past 11PM is going to work.
Nenya
AB Executive

Post by Nenya »

Sefam wrote: However, I for one, would like to know for one how entering the convention past 11PM is going to work.
Sefam, could you be a bit more specific in your question so I might be able to answer it for you?
Kristen Leiding
Director of Guest Relations
Anime Boston 2024
The_Dessert_Witch
Veteran Poster

Post by The_Dessert_Witch »

We have not been told that the MCCA be doing "TSA style" bag screening. What we have been told is that the MCCA will be doing basic bag checks similar to what you would have at a concert or at an amusement park.

We have NOT been told they will be screening for food and beverage. The interactions and communications we have had with the MCCA have shown that they are aware of our event and of you our attendees. Believe me our staff is working with the MCCA and in daily communication with them to ensure that the impact on our event will be a minmal as we can reasonably make it while ensuring the safety and security of our event and their building.[/quote]

Ah, thank you very much for explaining that!
2011: Theresa (Fable II, Fable III) (Fri, Sun)/OC Post-Apocalyptic Pokemon Trainer (Sat)
2012: Charlotte's Tumor Form v. 1 (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) (All)
2013: Charlotte's Tumor Form v. 1 (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) (All)
2014: Projected: Dead!Mami in Charlotte Hoodie (Puella Magi Madoka Magica), Tsukimi and Clara(Princess Jellyfish)
Shinden
Veteran Poster

Post by Shinden »

Sefam wrote:
ssgOverlord wrote:The only real inconvenience for me is being more careful with time if I leave the convention center for any reason, like to the mall or hotel. I guess I'll find out just how careful I have to be when the time comes.
I'm not a staffer, but I've been involved with conventions other than Anime Boston before, and I can say this much:

To all the people above, especially Shinden, please take note that this isn't in any way, shape, or form Anime Boston's fault, I am pretty sure that they do not want this for the same reasons me and many people have outlined before: this will only stop idiots at the detriment of everyone, not anybody slightly intelligent or insane who wants to hurt people. The MCAA has twitter accounts, and I am sure there are ways to contact them to complaint about this.

This policy is not a result of the convention's organization. Please don't let this get in the way of your enjoyment of the convention.

However, I for one, would like to know for one how entering the convention past 11PM is going to work.
I know the responsible party is the convention authority (for the heavy-handed restrictions) still, AB did lock into using the Hynes for the next few years, so it can't be helped if I wish to boycott the convention centre for their decisions.
JupiterAscending16
Expert Poster

Post by JupiterAscending16 »

I think that having the bag search each time you come into the convention hall is a great idea. I feel much safer and more at ease knowing that they are going to do this. I know it may take us an extra few minutes to get into the convention, bur I think its worth it to keep us safe and the convention running smoothly. I will probably bring a small purse or a small bag, will probably have to condense the bag this year but I'm not worried. Thank you to Animeboston and the Hynes Convention Center for the incredible job they are doing to make sure that AnimeBoston 2013 is the best convention yet! We appreciate the hard work you are doing to keep us all safe.
Holly Medeiros

Event Photography Staff AnimeBoston 2022

Celebrating 15 years of attending AnimeBoston!
Sefam
Experienced Poster

Post by Sefam »

Nenya wrote:
Sefam wrote: However, I for one, would like to know for one how entering the convention past 11PM is going to work.
Sefam, could you be a bit more specific in your question so I might be able to answer it for you?
Hi Nenya! I apologize for the vague question. My question pertains to the disposition of the convention center after 11PM. Anime Boston has late night panels, and considering the circumstances and the extra security measures, I am wondering whether the convention center will be open or not for people that want to get in from outside after 11PM from one of the entrances. Does that clear up the question?
I know the responsible party is the convention authority (for the heavy-handed restrictions) still, AB did lock into using the Hynes for the next few years, so it can't be helped if I wish to boycott the convention centre for their decisions.
Hynes has given Anime Boston good service for 8 years. I don't see why suddenly Anime Boston should break their contract over something as tiny as this. Besides, if you've been reading on this a bit, the Boston Police Department is in on it too, I'm pretty sure it's not just the Hynes' decision, and were the con to be hosted somewhere else in Boston, the same thing would probably have happened. So I guess we should just boycott Boston in general?

I think I can handle a bag check to go to Dunkin' Donuts, they're almost dead up here in Canada :<
KatrinaDraws
Expert Poster

Post by KatrinaDraws »

Sefam wrote:
I think I can handle a bag check to go to Dunkin' Donuts, they're almost dead up here in Canada :<
Plus, if you need to run out for something fast like a coffee you can always just have a friend inside watch your stuff :)
Shinden
Veteran Poster

Post by Shinden »

You (as in the people who wholeheartedly support because you have no social fears at all, or they are trumped by your fear of a one-in-a-hundred-million chance of a repeat, not the execs who have no say in what happens) have to understand that some people have pretty crippling social anxiety and/or fear of authority. I have both. On top of a wee health issue brought on by stress.

I have been profiled by the police in my town because my mother is a lesbian. On her wedding night. I and people I know have been harassed and mistreated by police for various reasons, despite not at all being threatening, and one relative was even the subject of police brutality for drinking a big gulp in his car. Just seeing the uniforms or hearing the authoritative barking puts me on edge. But I am completely fine with police presence at entrances and exits at the con, with little to no interaction at all. I was expecting that. I've already reluctantly dropped all my cosplay plans to account for that.

But I'm the kind of person who is deathly afraid of my privacy and being judged, especially by authorities, for my belongings or appearance. I actually even refuse to go to a store alone if they don't have a self-checkout line because I am afraid the cashier will judge me for what I am purchasing, no matter what it is, from antihistamine ointment to cough syrup to toothbrushes. And every time I go through those theft deterrent things? I have a small heart attack like "what if I set it off because a sensor is stuck to my shoe?! What if they search my pockets and find my iPod has an anime chick as the lock screen oh god oh god oh god just kill me"

Now I am expected to go into a con where I am mostly there to make purchases, and if I get hungry I either have to walk three miles round trip to drop off my figs just to eat a slice of pizza at the food court or go back in and let Officer O'Connolly see that I, a grown ass man, like to collect plastic sixteen-year-old cartoon girls in bikinis? And I'm expected not to wake up on Monday morning and suppress an urge to swallow buckshot because I remember that look he gave me, of mixed pity and disappointment, just like when my grandfather walked into my room that one time?

Beyond the issues this causes with waiting 45 minutes to re-enter the building (or just to go from the Hynes to Sheraton), this is about people's personal security. This used to be the one place I could go to without being afraid to the point of gastrointestinal rupture of people judging me for wearing something odd or talking positively about a former enemy nation.

I didn't feel unsafe with my plans after the bombing. Not at all. But now I'm afraid of having a mental breakdown or running to a bathroom when going to an event that I enjoyed going to because it's been turned into Brave New Linecon. I don't want to have to take a sedative or call a psychiatrist just going to a damn convention.

I say I won't come back if there is a mandatory bag check that's been made permanent not because I'm being an ass or some sort of Constitutionalist (although the latter has a good point). I'm saying it because these measures are incompatible with health and well-being for me.

So please, stop telling me why I am "wrong" or why I should be supporting things I cannot support, unless you want to trade colons with me. People who are against this have legitimate and well-meaning grievances and good reasons to have them. MCAA is lining the walls with asbestos because there might be a fire.
azyryan
Expert Poster

Post by azyryan »

I figured this would be coming...this'll definitely interesting and I'll have to think about reworking my bag.

I'll be staying at a close-by hotel so leaving most things behind and only going to get them if I need them won't be a big deal for me...but i was wondering a few things:
1) would someone from the convention be able to figure out if items like food/beverages may be a problem sometime before the convention so I'd know whether or not to pack them?
2) Someone on the facebook post mentioned something about having lines for people with bag and a line for those without? I don't know if that would make anything better but do you know how the lines will be worked yet?
AB10: Myself :P
AB11: Misa Amane & NANA Osaki
AB12: Misa Amane & Dead Master
AB13: Stocking & young Genkai
AB14: Stocking, Young Genkai, Christie Leroux
AB15: Botan, Chrisite Leroux, Vanellope Von Schweetz
AB16: Koto, Umi Sonoda, Asuka Tanaka, Liv Moore
AB17: Naho, Yukina, Stocking (PJs), Hanamaru
AB18 Plans:
Friday: Vanellope von Schweetz (Wreck-It Ralph)
Saturday: Stocking Sailor vers. (Panty and Stocking)
Sunday: ??
mistyhayes88
Expert Poster

Post by mistyhayes88 »

I go in without a bag, then buy something and get a bag, and when I am ready to make a hotel deposit, I will return without the bag and do it all over again! That is my plan. lol

I am not against this at all. Even SeaWorld has mandatory bag checks before you can enter the theme park. the key to quickness is to have WAY more than 1 person doing the checks. lol
Bowler4Ever
Veteran Poster

Post by Bowler4Ever »

I was planning on bringing in a mostly empty messenger bag for all the plushes I'll be buying at the tables (it'd only hold another bag which holds my cameras :P)
AB 2012 cosplays: Switch (SKET Dance), Uchiha Sasuke (Chuunin Exams) (Naruto)
AB 2013 cosplays: Uchiha Sasuke, Taka (Naruto Shippuden)
AB 2014 cosplays: Uchiha Sasuke (Taka, Akatsuki, Hokage [Yes, Hokage, dammit! >_< xD])
My YouTube Channel!
kaiser11492

Post by kaiser11492 »

Shinden wrote:You (as in the people who wholeheartedly support because you have no social fears at all, or they are trumped by your fear of a one-in-a-hundred-million chance of a repeat, not the execs who have no say in what happens) have to understand that some people have pretty crippling social anxiety and/or fear of authority. I have both. On top of a wee health issue brought on by stress.

I have been profiled by the police in my town because my mother is a lesbian. On her wedding night. I and people I know have been harassed and mistreated by police for various reasons, despite not at all being threatening, and one relative was even the subject of police brutality for drinking a big gulp in his car. Just seeing the uniforms or hearing the authoritative barking puts me on edge. But I am completely fine with police presence at entrances and exits at the con, with little to no interaction at all. I was expecting that. I've already reluctantly dropped all my cosplay plans to account for that.

But I'm the kind of person who is deathly afraid of my privacy and being judged, especially by authorities, for my belongings or appearance. I actually even refuse to go to a store alone if they don't have a self-checkout line because I am afraid the cashier will judge me for what I am purchasing, no matter what it is, from antihistamine ointment to cough syrup to toothbrushes. And every time I go through those theft deterrent things? I have a small heart attack like "what if I set it off because a sensor is stuck to my shoe?! What if they search my pockets and find my iPod has an anime chick as the lock screen oh god oh god oh god just kill me"

Now I am expected to go into a con where I am mostly there to make purchases, and if I get hungry I either have to walk three miles round trip to drop off my figs just to eat a slice of pizza at the food court or go back in and let Officer O'Connolly see that I, a grown ass man, like to collect plastic sixteen-year-old cartoon girls in bikinis? And I'm expected not to wake up on Monday morning and suppress an urge to swallow buckshot because I remember that look he gave me, of mixed pity and disappointment, just like when my grandfather walked into my room that one time?

Beyond the issues this causes with waiting 45 minutes to re-enter the building (or just to go from the Hynes to Sheraton), this is about people's personal security. This used to be the one place I could go to without being afraid to the point of gastrointestinal rupture of people judging me for wearing something odd or talking positively about a former enemy nation.

I didn't feel unsafe with my plans after the bombing. Not at all. But now I'm afraid of having a mental breakdown or running to a bathroom when going to an event that I enjoyed going to because it's been turned into Brave New Linecon. I don't want to have to take a sedative or call a psychiatrist just going to a damn convention.

I say I won't come back if there is a mandatory bag check that's been made permanent not because I'm being an ass or some sort of Constitutionalist (although the latter has a good point). I'm saying it because these measures are incompatible with health and well-being for me.

So please, stop telling me why I am "wrong" or why I should be supporting things I cannot support, unless you want to trade colons with me. People who are against this have legitimate and well-meaning grievances and good reasons to have them. MCAA is lining the walls with asbestos because there might be a fire.
no offense to you, but just be glad you have the means and opportunity to actually go to Anime Boston and potentially have a good tme. some people, like myself, would love to go, but can't due to things such as expenses and distance.
dstnyskr
Expert Poster

Post by dstnyskr »

So the point is everyone. Wear a fanny pack! I know I will be fashioning my mothers fanny pack for the weekend now... 8-)
Let destiny decide.
~AB veteran 2006-2017(missed '15)~
MetalshadowN64

Post by MetalshadowN64 »

I personally have no problems with this. Sure, its gonna be a hassle regarding lines even if most of us bring no bags. I'd only have a problem if you guys suddenly start saying there's going to be pat-downs, which I HIGHLY doubt is going to happen, since everyone knows there's going to be a lot of people not happy with this bag check rule and the prop policy changes.

Heck, if I do use a bag I'm using my work Lunch bag since its clear and small. It makes going through security all the more swiftly (well, at least where I work). I don't really plan to bring much of anything besides what I mainly need which is pretty much the basics; phone, ipod, wallet, manga to read, ect. The stuff we all usually have on us everyday. I'd probably need the bag more or less for what I buy in the dealer's room which is where I usually spend my time... as well as money :lol:

I do have one question though: is this bag check thing going to be for everytime we come in and out of the con? I mean there IS that mall connected to the Hynes (I never seem to remember the name of that mall) and just about everyone goes in and out between them, especially with the ATMs, food court and various other things in that mall that people have needed to go in to use. In my book that mall IS a part of the convention! It would just be plain annoying if I needed to head out to the mall, get stopped to check my bag by security then go into the mall do what I need to do real quick, head back get stopped by security to get my bag checked again so I can head back into the con.
I doubt it'd be THAT bad, but its a valid question.

EDIT: okay never mind since this question was pretty much already answered. So I shall just have NO BAG! MUHAHAHA! ...or have my friend(s) hold my bag as I make a "quick" trip to the mall for whatever...
My cosplays for AB 2013
Friday - Okabe Rintarou from "Steins;Gate"
Saturday (most of the day) - Gin from "Case Closed/Detective Conan"
Saturday night/ball and Sunday - Black Jack from his series.

"Life is a risk. Even being born was a risk. We do it everyday and every moment; we just don't realize it. Risk is putting what you hold dear on the line and taking a leap of faith hoping to either reach salvation or fall in a pit of pain and death." ~ Me
tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Post by tetsujin »

BasharOfTheAges wrote:From a threat mitigation point of view, it does little but move the biggest target to being that huge group of people trying to get in. It makes everyone feel better though.
I'm sure the owners of the con center will sleep better knowing that, if something does happen, the damage to their property, and their legal liability will be minimized.

What a majorly unpleasant bit of news to get about a con I've been looking forward to. Like getting in and out of the con center isn't slow enough already...
Mosquito1945
AB Staff

Post by Mosquito1945 »

Guys, we know the policy isn't popular, but it's what we have to do. The bag checks are not going to be invasive, they don't care what you have, they just want to be sure that you're not bringing anything harmful into the building.

Name calling and over-analysis is not going to solve anything. Hopefully, this will be something that we only have to worry about this year, but for the moment it's reality.

I know it seems like people are overreacting, but remember that the bombing was two blocks away, just over a month ago, and shattered the City's sense of peace. They are more than justified in being cautious. We are guests at this facility and have to respect their rules.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Kate Harrison
Sefam
Experienced Poster

Post by Sefam »

Mosquito wrote:Guys, we know the policy isn't popular, but it's what we have to do. The bag checks are not going to be invasive, they don't care what you have, they just want to be sure that you're not bringing anything harmful into the building.

Name calling and over-analysis is not going to solve anything. Hopefully, this will be something that we only have to worry about this year, but for the moment it's reality.

I know it seems like people are overreacting, but remember that the bombing was two blocks away, just over a month ago, and shattered the City's sense of peace. They are more than justified in being cautious. We are guests at this facility and have to respect their rules.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Thanks for the intervention.

I have a question though, Nenya asked me to specify a question earlier. Do you guys know anything about access to the Hynes during the late evening/night yet?
Mosquito1945
AB Staff

Post by Mosquito1945 »

As to whether ID checks will be at the door or something?

Right now, because we don't clear the building, all 18+ programming will be ID checked at the door to the room it's held in. So you should be able to come and go as you please- with the bag and badge check, of course ;) - regardless of age as long as we have active programming. We do ask that minors head to bed, but we know that's not always gonna happen.

Hope that answers the question. If not, feel free to specify further.
Kate Harrison
Sefam
Experienced Poster

Post by Sefam »

Mosquito wrote:As to whether ID checks will be at the door or something?

Right now, because we don't clear the building, all 18+ programming will be ID checked at the door to the room it's held in. So you should be able to come and go as you please- with the bag and badge check, of course ;) - regardless of age as long as we have active programming. We do ask that minors head to bed, but we know that's not always gonna happen.

Hope that answers the question. If not, feel free to specify further.
Ah, that clears up something I didn't think about yet (The ID Checks).

My question about the Hynes access was because I assumed that there would be less people on duty to do bag checks, therefore, less entrances would be open, or that the Hynes would be closed for entering for some time during the night. Has the Hynes communicated anything in that regard yet?