Concerning today's tragic events at the Boston Marathon

This forum contains discussion about all news and announcements related to Anime Boston.
Pham
AB Staff

Concerning today's tragic events at the Boston Marathon

Post by Pham »

We are deeply saddened by the tragic events that occurred at today's Boston Marathon. Our thoughts are with the victims and their loved ones.

Along with the Boston Police Department, City of Boston, Massachusetts Convention Center Authority and our partner hotels, we are monitoring the situation closely. At this time, we are unaware of any future effects on our event in May.

As this catastrophic event unfolds, we promise to keep all our attendees, guests and vendors updated via our website and social media channels. First and foremost, please join us as we hope for the swift recovery of the people, families and businesses affected by today's tragedy.

Thank you,
The Staff of Anime Boston
Tuan N. Pham
Asst Director of Public Relations, AB 2017, 2018
Director of Public Relations, AB 2007-2016
yoshimitsu101
Experienced Poster

Re: Concerning today's tragic events at the Boston Marathon

Post by yoshimitsu101 »

I hope everyone attending Anime Boston and the Staff are ok and safe :(
"Over confidence is your greatest enemy" - Yoshimitsu
hamstar138
AB Staff

Post by hamstar138 »

hopefully these events don't effect much of Anime Boston next month. Maybe more security but that's it. :( But I hope everyone who got hurt today will be ok and they are in my prayers. I know my college is on lock-down because of the events today.
Marija Corriveau - Anime Boston Fan Creations Co-Coordinator 2023 - 2024
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff 2018 - 2022

~AMV Maker~

Anime Boston 2016 Trailer Winner - The Little Prince Returns
Anime Boston 2017 Editor's Choice, Judge's Choice & Best In Show - Timeless
Anime Boston 2020 Upbeat Winner - Harubaru
Anime Boston 2022 Editor's Choice - When Life Gives You Kaworu
omorfia
I'm new!

Post by omorfia »

Yeah, I don't think I'll be going next month.
It's too scary...
Despite spending hundreds on making my cosplay, I don't think I want to risk it...
Anas Ikimaru
Expert Poster

Post by Anas Ikimaru »

Hello -long time, and I wanted to offer support.

You guys might remember me as Anna, a kimono dealer from Florida (<--Not the important part). I really, really enjoyed working at Anime Boston the two years I did. Great show, even greater people - and it was a blessing to bring up the whole studio, and enjoy such a wonderful city not once, but twice. While life has changed in its due course for me drastically, from time to time I do think of how much I enjoyed the city, the show, and the people of Boston (<--That was the important part ;) ).

What happened today in the Copley Square was a terrible tragedy. I wanted to leave a message expressing my thoughts, prayers, and support not only to Anime Boston, but also the residents of a city rooted in which is so strongly in our country's history. Some two hundred-odd years ago, those of Boston were strong, and their resilience would be echoed throughout the pages of American Culture. Now, here in 2013, you once again have proven your strength, even when faced with the most trying and difficult times.

To the staff of Anime Boston, you have always done a superb job (Lou & Christian, especially, when I was a vendor, wowed me with how dedicated they were to everyone who walked in through the door). Despite it all, I know without a doubt that the show will persevere, and make this the most amazing year of Anime Boston yet.

I'm not a vendor anymore, but, I'm still an otaku (with a kimono obsession), I still love Anime Boston, and I still love Boston.

Aishiteru, Boston! <3

-Anna
OrikoMikuni89
Experienced Poster

Post by OrikoMikuni89 »

After today's terrible events, the group I'm attending with is discussing a possible emergency plan in case the worst should happen. Where to meet, who to call/text, etc. (The threat is probably very low, but you never know.) I recommend others to do the same...

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by today's tragedy. ):
what-the-spork
Determined Poster

-

Post by what-the-spork »

-
Last edited by what-the-spork on Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zenoah
Experienced Poster

Post by Zenoah »

Im still going to attend, dispite still being a little shaken and nervous.
I think everyone who is having doubts should still attend. Dont let the fear of someone stop you from having fun. If it was a terrorist attack, they, whoever did it, wouldnt attack a convention. It has nothing to do with what they target.

What do you guys think of a moment of silence vigil for those affected while at the con? Preffably on Sunday. It will symbolize us finishng our con and finishing a big event for those who did'nt.
KBoston
Getting the hang of this...

Post by KBoston »

Anime Boston is still a month away so I'm not as worried about that as I am about Boston Comic Con. That's this weekend. I hope nothing else happens between now and this weekend.
masakijamie
Experienced Poster

Post by masakijamie »

As a Bostonian, I pray everyone who attended the Boston Marathon to be safe and sound.
AB '15-Rinoa Heartilly from FFVIII
Zenoah
Experienced Poster

Post by Zenoah »

Very true.
I hope all attending BCC will be safe.
ChibiKoun
Veteran Poster

Post by ChibiKoun »

I'm out of the country just now, but I attend college in Boston, so I'm still reeling from the news. My thoughts go out to everyone in the city.

Despite this, I'm still a little disappointed that I am unable to attend Anime Boston this year. Please don't assume something terrible will happen, and please do have fun at the con!
2014 Cosplay!

1. Empress Elisabeth from エリザベート ~愛と死の輪舞
2. Super Sailor Neptune from Sailor Moon
3.Lady Oscar François de Jarjayes from The Rose of Versailles
LegendaryBroli

Post by LegendaryBroli »

I really hope the event still goes on
Flemtee
Expert Poster

Post by Flemtee »

I think one thing is very important to remember about this whole tragic event. Though it's a horrible, disgusting act done by a currently unknown person, we cannot be afraid. If anything, all this event should tell us is how much more aware we should be as a city. If we let our fear get the better of us, then how will we ever have any fun? Of course it's sad and of course it's terrible, but I know we will be strong as a city!

I for one have every intention of going still and having the best time. I seriously pray for all the victims and families who were there at the event today and applaud the brave people who were there to help. We will prevail in the end! I love Boston!
Andrew Fleming
Co-Creator/Co-Host of Wicked Anime
AB '16 Press
Co-Host of Wicked Anime Presents: Hardcore Anime! 18+ Panel
Co-Host of My Waifu's Not Weird!

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/WickedAnimeReviews
Podcast - http://nerdyshow.com/wickedanime/
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/WickedAnime

Website - http://stickfiguredomain.wordpress.com
Lapis_Lupus
Experienced Poster

Post by Lapis_Lupus »

Despite the potential inherent risk (and all the chaos of last year, what with the informal dance shenanigans and one or two unruly staff members) my friends and I will still be attending. Though I do admit it might be a bit creepy, after seeing the pictures on Yahoo of the blood-covered sidewalks... Might also rethink venturing outside the Prudential Center for food during the con, a questionable safety benefit though it might be.

Also, those who mentioned Boston Comic-Con this weekend have a good point. Wonder what they'll decide to do about that.
Flemtee
Expert Poster

Post by Flemtee »

For the people mentioning the con this weekend, according to the Twitter feed of Boston Comic Con, they are still on. This keeps me particularly in high hopes for AB next May.
Andrew Fleming
Co-Creator/Co-Host of Wicked Anime
AB '16 Press
Co-Host of Wicked Anime Presents: Hardcore Anime! 18+ Panel
Co-Host of My Waifu's Not Weird!

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/WickedAnimeReviews
Podcast - http://nerdyshow.com/wickedanime/
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/WickedAnime

Website - http://stickfiguredomain.wordpress.com
Mara
AB Alumni

Post by Mara »

Boston is safe. I'm biased because it's my city (from Roslindale originally), but this doesn't make me feel any more afraid of it than any other day because this was (likely) an isolated incident from one depraved source. This isn't daily life in Boston. My bets are on that you'll be pretty safe, or even safer than the usual safe. That said, my heart is with the ones who weren't safe today.
Mara K.
Staff Alumna, 2003–2018
ShinkuNoKitsune
Expert Poster

Post by ShinkuNoKitsune »

It's strange knowing that I navigate this part of this city several times each year, including during Anime Boston. It's very shocking and very sad. My group will be bringing some flowers to leave at the explosion sites during the weekend, seeing as it will be our next trip to the area.
LadyInuyasha

Post by LadyInuyasha »

My heart goes out to the people effected by this tragedy. As far as AB is concerned, I am still going despite this. However I will be more wary and conscious of my surroundings. I may also think twice about venturing outside of the building. I have been going to this con since 2005 and know the Hynes lay out quite well, including where all the emergency exits are. I also have faith that the AB folks and security will make any changes they deem necessary to ensure everyone's safety. Lastly, feel that the nature of the convention itself makes it a rather safe place. I'd still feel better though if the authorities caught whoever was responsible for this before the con.

"Because there is no life without a little fun!"
Cosplaying Inuyasha, Inu-Papa and Sun Ce - DW5.
Anime Boston 2005-2013!
Connecticon 2004-2013!

Dashie
Experienced Poster

Post by Dashie »

The con is still gonna happen. Would be stupid if they didn't.

All the danger will be taken care of by then. All I think is that there will be heightened security the weekend.

Don't be scared by this crap. this is what the people were aiming for. If you don't go to the con now, you will let them win.

My heart goes out to everyone down in Boston. Stay strong everyone
Darkvyse88
Determined Poster

Post by Darkvyse88 »

I want to send my well wishes to all those hurt from the bomb blasts.

Also, thank you to all Police, Fire, and EMT officials who are helping everyone. Thank you for all of your hard work today and in the coming days.

This con will happen and we cannot let this ruin it for us. We will be strong as we make Memorial Day weekend an amazing Anime Boston weekend.
Cosplay Plans for Anime Boston 2019

Friday: Robert EO Speedwagon (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)

Saturday Day: Kazuhira Miller (Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain)
Saturday Afternoon: Robert EO Speedwagon (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
Saturday Evening: Matt McKenna

Sunday: White Blood Cell (Cells at Work)
yunaofparadise
Dedicated Poster

Post by yunaofparadise »

My thoughts and love to those affected by this tragedy. May we all be abel to move on and that those hurt recover fast and well. Happy thoughts people. We all love each other as an anime community. <3
Dashie
Experienced Poster

Post by Dashie »

For those who are interested, a friend started an event on facebook.

We're gonna try to get a thousand folded paper cranes, stars, or whatever you can do to bring to the sites of the explosions.

You can join here - http://www.facebook.com/events/45426486 ... 5801320358
RapaxGuardian
Obsessed Poster

Post by RapaxGuardian »

Dashie wrote:For those who are interested, a friend started an event on facebook.

We're gonna try to get a thousand folded paper cranes, stars, or whatever you can do to bring to the sites of the explosions.

You can join here - http://www.facebook.com/events/45426486 ... 5801320358
Do we have to be on Facebook to be a part of said event? *le not on Facebook*
AB '10: The Sorrow (MGS3)
AB '11: Vamp (MGS2)
AB '12: Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2) & Major Raikov (MGS3)
AB '13: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Meryl Silverburgh (MGS1) & Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2)
AB '14: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Olga Gurlukovich(MGS2)
AB '15: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), The Sorrow (MGS3), Callie Ohpeee (Homestuck)
Dashie
Experienced Poster

Post by Dashie »

Nope! You can still be a part! Once I can figure out the right forum to place this in, I'll make a forum post to keep you guys updated.

This isn't an official AB event, just one a friend and I are trying to organize
skim
Experienced Poster

Post by skim »

This is freaky.. why on earth would anyone hate on a marathon?
These are people who have decided to do something amazing with themselves. They don't deserve this.

As self-centered as this thought is, I hope this doesn't affect animeboston.
I'm looking forward to revisiting Boston and having a fun time in town...
but maybe this event will have a bad effect on tourism.
Original comic "Morie the Witch" Issue 1 Issue 2 ;) available as a BOOK only.
facebook.com/skimlines | skimlines.deviantart | skimlines on tumblr!
mustangminiskirts
Experienced Poster

Post by mustangminiskirts »

skim wrote:This is freaky.. why on earth would anyone hate on a marathon?
These are people who have decided to do something amazing with themselves. They don't deserve this.

As self-centered as this thought is, I hope this doesn't affect animeboston.
I'm looking forward to revisiting Boston and having a fun time in town...
but maybe this event will have a bad effect on tourism.
Some people seem to not want to come anymore, but I feel like the people who live around Boston will still make sure to go. Needless to say, the people in my group are still headstrong. People just need to be careful. My parents are gonna be a bit more on edge (my dad always is even though I'm an adult~ and even more now that I'm bringing my little sis), but we as a community will definitely be looking out for one another I'm sure. There will probably be heightened security, but I think we'll be fine. Looking around at the kindness shown at the Marathon, I'm even more positive that the Anime Boston community will all be there for each other, since they're already the best =^.^=b
Cosplays to date:
Anime Boston 2011: Selphie Tilmitt (Final Fantasy VIII)
Anime Boston 2012: Naoto Shirogane (Persona 4)
Anime Boston 2013: fem!Roy Mustang (Fullmetal Alchemist)

AB 2013 Badge Name: The Fabulous Flame
NekZilla

Post by NekZilla »

Eh, terrorist activity of this sort *if thats what it proves to be* rarely strike twice in the same place due to the obvious security buffs. Boston within the next couple of weeks will probably be one of the safest cities in the US for tourists because of such.

Much love to the friends and family I have in the boston area, but I seriously doubt this will affect the con or should deter anyone from going.
AnimeBoston #2, Con #83

1449 Swag. We are the party.
SoratheExplorah
AB Staff

Post by SoratheExplorah »

I must echo the posts I've read and continue to keep Boston and those affected directly/indirectly. It's scary to think that this happened right in our city. It is a terrible, tragic event regardless of where it happens, but to think it occurred in our backyard adds a sick feeling. What happened today was a terrible tragedy, but we will recover and be stronger. No matter what has happened and what damage has occurred, we all must come together as one and find the strength to pick up the pieces. I feel whatever staff decides to do will be a good call; in my opinion, if the situation doesn't escalate even further, the event should go on. We need to remember this day and keep it as a reminder for not only what has happened but keep it as a test of our strength. When all is said and done, all should return to normal and continue as it was; we need to remain strong and know that these events won't break us.

Continued prayers for all those affected in anyway by this disaster.

~STARSMember930
Carl Johnson
Support Squad Co-Manager '22-'23
Support Squad Assistant Manager '20-21
Volunteers Assistant Manager '19
Volunteers Administrative Staff '18
Volunteer '14-'17

STARSMember930 on Deviantart
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

I highly, highly doubt anything would happen at or with AB. Once one event occurs, high precautions are taken for the next few months usually. Not to mention, I am the kind of person who would rather, in the worst case scenario, if I was to go out, I would rather go out doing and participating in something I love. AB is the one single event I look forward to every single year, and this bombing isn't going to change a damn thing for me. I work in transportation, and that in it's own right, is a lot scarier, since I have to deal with bad drivers, bad weather, and bad passengers.

Now, it is understandable if some people turn tail and not attend, but I will feel bad for you all who do NOT attend. It's over a month away, and by then, all the bombs should be sniffed out for sure, as said, security will be heightened, and IMO, the only reason they struck the marathon was because it was a huge place for people to gather. AB is big, but not that big. If a convention was to worry, that would be Expo or Otakon before AB would be on the target list. Again, I understand concerns.

The way I see it, Boston was hit. As said, with security buffs, I think Boston will become the safest city to be in the next few months, so where ever some of you people are from, I would assume where ever you are would be a lot less safe.

Whatever you people do, I still hope to see you there.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
SwedishWolf
Expert Poster

Post by SwedishWolf »

My heart goes out all the way from Sweden to all of you living in the Boston area and everyone affected by this tragic event. I will pray to the Gods to keep you all safe and that you all will have a great time at the con.
Cosplays 2012:
Iori Yagami-King of fighters (Participated in the Death match)
Archer-Fate Stay Night (Seen in Chess match)
Roy Mustang-FMA

Cosplays 2016:
Archer-Fate Stay Night 100%
Domon Kasshu- Mobile Fighter G Gundam 100% (Will actually be worn at a con for the first time.)
Iori Yagami - King Of Fighters (Just cause I will not be able to get any new cosplay done in time.)
Genichiro
Experienced Poster

Post by Genichiro »

I wish everyone affected by this mess well. I'm not going to let this event deter me from attending AB. They'll catch whoever did this by the end of the week. If it really was a terrorist, they'd take responsibility to make a point. I get the feeling it's some random sicko emulating the terrorists, due to insanity. Again, I wish everyone affected well, and hope everyone stays safe.
NOlemons
Veteran Poster

Post by NOlemons »

Cave Here, With a Heavy Heart,

It is a sad day, a day where we will never be able to look at Boston's beloved marithon the same. It was a horrible event, but for all pourposes, in a free society, it is nearly unavoidable. I will be at anime boston, because of one major diffrence

AB has doors

The reason the attack was sucessful was due to the "soft" nature of outdoor venues. It is beyond difficult to secure them.

An indoor event allows bag checks not just once, but possibly several times. at main entrances, at start of major con events ect.

I hope securty creates a sound plan for con

Cave Johnson

HEARTS AND MINDS
2016 confirms
Fuhrer King Bradley
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

My heart goes out to everyone affected by this terrible event. I hate to see the city in such a sad state.
I know I personally will not be deterred from attending AB or from continuing to enjoy visiting Boston.
A swirly ice-cream cone of good and evil
AB 10: Ryo-ohki
AB 11: Touko Amano, Luna in cat form, Ryo-ohki
AB 12: Belarus, Hungary, fem!Canada
AB 13 : Eponine, GLaDOS, Sunako Nakahara
AB 14 : Princess Cadance, GLaDOS, Applejack
AB 15: Makise Kurisu
AB 16: GLaDOS, Steampunk Alice, Scarlet Benoit
AB 17: Ryo-ohki, Rei Hino (school uniform), Sunako Nakahara
AB 18: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles), casual steampunk
The_Dessert_Witch
Veteran Poster

Post by The_Dessert_Witch »

My thoughts go out to all those affected, both victims and loved ones and everyone else involved, by this event. As I know Boston, however...they can get shaken, yes, but they always come out strong in the end. I have faith that the culprit will be caught, that recovery will go smoothly, and that Boston will grow stronger from this event.

That being said...I am still going to attend AB this year. I will not let this incident change my course of action, as that would be letting those responsible win. I have faith that those involved with AB security will keep us not only safe, but make sure this AB remains as good as the rest.

My thoughts are with all of you out there.

-TDW
2011: Theresa (Fable II, Fable III) (Fri, Sun)/OC Post-Apocalyptic Pokemon Trainer (Sat)
2012: Charlotte's Tumor Form v. 1 (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) (All)
2013: Charlotte's Tumor Form v. 1 (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) (All)
2014: Projected: Dead!Mami in Charlotte Hoodie (Puella Magi Madoka Magica), Tsukimi and Clara(Princess Jellyfish)
Bowler4Ever
Veteran Poster

Post by Bowler4Ever »

My heart goes out to everyone affected by this senseless bombing. I pray for a quick recovery for the injured, a proper memorial for the fallen, and justice for those who set these bombs to terrorize one of Boston's most iconic events in history.
Bostonians are strong, Bostonians are stubborn (in a good way! :D), and we're gonna get 'em!!

I will also be at Boston Comic Con on Sunday, so I will be on a heightened alert. Nothing's gonna stop me from attending my conventions.
AB 2012 cosplays: Switch (SKET Dance), Uchiha Sasuke (Chuunin Exams) (Naruto)
AB 2013 cosplays: Uchiha Sasuke, Taka (Naruto Shippuden)
AB 2014 cosplays: Uchiha Sasuke (Taka, Akatsuki, Hokage [Yes, Hokage, dammit! >_< xD])
My YouTube Channel!
p-chan
Expert Poster

Post by p-chan »

I suppose the best we can all do is work together as a big family.
As a big family, we can all stay safe and support each other.

I definitely give very big blessings to the victims of the tragedy for staying strong and persistent; along with the EMT officials, BPD, and BFD for all of their incredible work at handling this situation.

Hopefully something like this will never happen in Boston again;
But I definitely will be staying very close to my family and friends during this year's con.

Stay strong, Bostonians. You are all fabulous, no matter what.
・∀・ ~ ・∀・ ~ ・∀・
thepolishpixie
Experienced Poster

Post by thepolishpixie »

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those affected by this awful tragedy!! After watching the press conference this morning, I definitely feel reassured about attending the con. Some folks from my work are attending a conference this week at the Hynes, and it is still on as far as I know.

For those of you nervous about visiting Boston in the near future....don't be. In fact, Boston is probably safer right now than it was last year because of the increased presence of police and security. So please come, expect to have your bag checked more times than usual, but rest assured that safety is the first thought in everyone's mind right now.

Boston is a beautiful city with a lot of history. I've visited plenty of times, and have always felt safe (a lot safer than I ever felt in NYC). Another reason you should come (besides AB awesomeness) = there's a samurai armor exhibit running for the next few months at the Museum of Fine Arts (http://www.mfa.org/exhibitions/samurai) :)
2013 Cosplays
Korra- Legend of Korra
Rapunzel- Tangled-inspired (steampunk influence)

2012 Cosplays
Rapunzel- Tangled (short hair)
Ms.Construed13

Post by Ms.Construed13 »

Bad things happen and there really is not much people can do. We do the best we can and put in place security measures. I am sure the Anime Boston and Convention Center staff will put in place more security measures and learn from this terrible tragedy so as it will not happen at AB'13.

It is a scary thing and it does make you rethink your participation in large events, but it won't make the bad things stop. It will however make the good things stop if everyone decides to not participate simply because something bad happened at a different event. If we don't put more good into the world, then everything good will die. Please remember this well.

Also, I wish everyone affected by this tragedy all the best.
Shinden
Veteran Poster

Post by Shinden »

A repeat bombing or other similar act at AB is the very least of my concerns.

My major concerns stem from the security presence. Historically, law enforcement has not taken so lightly to "suspicious individuals", and what is this con other than a gathering of 20,000 suspicious individuals. Not to mention the historical ineptitude of the police to understand the specific needs and such of people with autism-spectrum conditions, of which these cons have a high proportion. Heightened security and congoers don't mix.

My concern of another attack is dwarfed by my concern that the cops will evacuate the mall because an L cosplayer is acting suspicious and carrying a "suspicious object (a sub in a paper bag)", or repeat an event that happened a couple years back in a local shopping centre and evacuate the building and call in SWAT to save us all from a high-capacity assault umbrella on someone's back. Or having your new, expensive figs be confiscated at a bag check as suspicious evidence (and caught up as "evidence" for months before they just throw it out).

Or pat-downs that will tear up costumes (remember, these people don't understand us or why we do this, so they won't be careful). In all, increased security will do a lot more to ruin this con than anything. Cops and security serve the general public, a public that has, at best, a mild annoyance with this con (check out Twitter and Facebook this year. If it's anything like last year you will see a ton of posts complaining about the "costume freaks" needing to "go back to China if they like it so much."). In all, I don't see the interactions between a beefed up BPD and the attendees of the con going smoothly.

My fears of AB being a target of anyone (who would go through with) attacking it are nil. The real danger in my eyes is the repeated stabbing attacks that have been happening in the waning hours of T service in the stations the past couple months. Nobody seems to be doing anything to prevent this from happening, and they're happening at the prime times that public commuters at AB are taking the last trains to their hotels or home.
2012: I, Otaku
2013: off
2014: An Introduction to Kill La Kill
2015: Beyond Honnouji
2016: Japanophile's Guide to Boston, Nippon wo Mamore
2017: All About the Imperial Family
2018: Contrasts of Tezuka
WaifuConnoisseur
Experienced Poster

Post by WaifuConnoisseur »

All of my thoughts, hopes, and prayers go out to all who are affected.
Last edited by WaifuConnoisseur on Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
2012: Just regular weeb attire
2013: Link (LoZ)
2014: Link v2.0 (LoZ) - Princess Luna (MLP)
2015: Matoi Ryuko (Kill la Kill)
2016: Aurora (Child of Light)
2017: Lady Oscar (Rose of Versailles)
2018: DIO (JJBA)
2019: DIO 2.0 (JJBA) - DND stuff
mjgosselin

Post by mjgosselin »

hamstar138 wrote:hopefully these events don't effect much of Anime Boston next month. Maybe more security but that's it. :(
I'm a local, and live only about 10 miles from the finish line (and about one mile from part of the course).

Just a reminder to everyone to please, please, please! pay attention to the rules about security. The people at AB do a great job with a huge number of attendees. They work with the Boston Police Department to institute a policy that allows participants to be creative, and remain safe.

In the seven years I've attended AB, I've never met a person who was intent on hurting any other member of the convention. There are those who want a little mischief, or some "extra-curricular" activities, but never to harm anyone.

So, please be sure to familiarize yourself with all the safety rules. I would not be surprised if there were occasional checks of bags, backpacks, and such for people entering the Hynes. And of course, many people will be CosPlaying, so Boylston Street will have an above-average number of people in unusual garb that weekend.

As for the rest of the messages I've seen, I like the idea of the cranes, and a backup plan of where to meet in case of emergency is always a good idea, not just for AB, but for any convention you attend.

Oh, one more thing: if you see a fire fighter, police officer, or EMT in the next few days, be sure to thank them for their hard work. It's a tough job, rarely appreciated, and you never know what the next work day will bring.
dokuhacker
I'm new!

Post by dokuhacker »

I for one, will still be going! I'm glad to see everyone getting together and working as a big family to get through this. It is very heartwarming!
Sin D'Angelo: Graphic Artist/Illustrator/Writer

Creator of the web comics "Machinegun Angel" http://machinegunangel.comicdish.com/
and "Sweet Dreams Bakery!" http://sweetdreamsbakery.comicdish.com/
Sakura-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sakura-chan »

Shinden, I think you're making a big deal out of nothing. Anime convention-goers are not "special snowflakes" that will somehow be treated differently by the police and security. We are people who need to be protected just like anyone else. I have never seen nor heard of police treating anyone unfairly at this convention. If they think you are carrying a suspicious object, they have every right to inspect you, regardless of whether you attend the convention or not. If you are acting our of order, they have every right to arrest you or tell you to calm down. Instead of talking down about the police and security that are obviously working so hard to keep the people of Boston safe, you would do good to thank them for their continued presence at our events and for all of the work they put into helping the victims of this latest tragedy.

I will still be attending and I am not concerned about a repeat attack.
'06: Sakura (Naruto)
'07: Sakura (Naruto)
'09: Hungary (Hetalia)
'13: Euphemia (Code Geass, for the Spirit Ball!), Rachel Alucard (Blazblue)
'16: Saber EXTRA (Fate/EXTRA), Rose Quartz (SU)
marahmarie

Post by marahmarie »

My mother and I have already set up an emergency plan for me, my sister, my boyfriend and my friends who will be at the same hotel as us (for age reference purposes, I'm 20). I don't think that any of this should stop any of our planned activities, I think that the police should step up security inside the con, make their presence known and check all of the con badges as thoroughly as possible. I strongly believe that they FBI and BPD will have the person(s) responsible for this by Anime Boston. I don't think that we should be scared, but I do think that people should really reconsider the costumes they may be preparing to bring and see if you can omit any strange looking props that may get accidentally suspected as something else.
AB 2015
Friday: Kiki from Kiki's Delivery Service
Saturday: Rarity from MLP:FIM
Sunday: Ouran Academy Female Student.

AB 2016
Friday: Lizzy Midford from Black Butler
Saturday: Saria from LOZ:OOT
Iszumi

Post by Iszumi »

Zenoah wrote:Im still going to attend, dispite still being a little shaken and nervous.
I think everyone who is having doubts should still attend. Dont let the fear of someone stop you from having fun. If it was a terrorist attack, they, whoever did it, wouldnt attack a convention. It has nothing to do with what they target.

What do you guys think of a moment of silence vigil for those affected while at the con? Preffably on Sunday. It will symbolize us finishng our con and finishing a big event for those who did'nt.
Excellent idea! Out of respect for all the victims. I hope it happens :) .
Iszumi

Post by Iszumi »

Does anyone know which streets are cordoned off and does it included the Hynes Convention Center?
KatrinaDraws
Expert Poster

Post by KatrinaDraws »

Iszumi wrote:Does anyone know which streets are cordoned off and does it included the Hynes Convention Center?
http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2013/04/1 ... -closings/ Here is information about what is currently closed. The Hynes seems to be in the blocked off area. I don't think it'll be blocked off for too long.
Shinden
Veteran Poster

Post by Shinden »

Sakura-chan wrote:Shinden, I think you're making a big deal out of nothing. Anime convention-goers are not "special snowflakes" that will somehow be treated differently by the police and security. We are people who need to be protected just like anyone else. I have never seen nor heard of police treating anyone unfairly at this convention. If they think you are carrying a suspicious object, they have every right to inspect you, regardless of whether you attend the convention or not. If you are acting our of order, they have every right to arrest you or tell you to calm down. Instead of talking down about the police and security that are obviously working so hard to keep the people of Boston safe, you would do good to thank them for their continued presence at our events and for all of the work they put into helping the victims of this latest tragedy.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaki ... _mall.html <I wouldn't say he was acting out of order, and pretty much everyone at this con will be "carrying suspicious objects" in one way or another.

All I am saying is this isn't going to go well, based on concrete evidence and previous events. and as a previous victim of police harassment and profiling, I'm inclined to think that way and reserve every right to have concern. And I am NOT going to thank someone for having a profession just because I'm pressured into it by societal influence and expectations. That's not a mark of a free or open society.

EDIT: and to imply that someone with an autism-spectrum disorder shouldn't be treated on a different level by security and police is incredibly ignorant.
2012: I, Otaku
2013: off
2014: An Introduction to Kill La Kill
2015: Beyond Honnouji
2016: Japanophile's Guide to Boston, Nippon wo Mamore
2017: All About the Imperial Family
2018: Contrasts of Tezuka
Blue_Eyed_Fairy
Experienced Poster

Post by Blue_Eyed_Fairy »

I will not let this event scare me away from the city I love. I will be in attendance this year as I have in every other.
I think this attack was aimed at the marathon due to the media coverage and what the Boston Marathon means for so many people. Also it was tax and patriot day. I have no extra fear about safety at Anime Boston then I would for any other year.
I will even be in the city this coming weekend for Boston Comic Con. I will not cancel my plans, or bend to terrorists.
I will continue to support this city and hope it helps to heal it, I hope others will do the same.