Changes to the Informal Dance and Formal Ball for 2013

This forum contains discussion about all news and announcements related to Anime Boston.
Faceman
AB Executive

Changes to the Informal Dance and Formal Ball for 2013

Post by Faceman »

Because of licensing issues, the Informal Dance has been cancelled this year. Please find more information here: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=16871

Anime Boston is going back home… to the Boston Park Plaza. Both the Informal and Formal Dances will be held at the Boston Park Plaza Castle, at 130 Columbus Avenue.

We’ve taken no shortcuts when planning this event. We’re still going to bring you the same great DJs and atmosphere that’s you’ve come to expect at an Anime Boston dance. Returning this year will be Greg Ayres and his team of DJs as well as our fabulous hosts at the Formal Ball.

To ensure the safety of our attendees and staff, we will be:
  • -Offering shuttle buses between the Sheraton Boston and the Park Plaza Castle
  • -Enforcing an 18+, weekend-pass only policy for admittance to the Informal Dance
  • -Ensuring that ample water and air conditioning are available at both dances
  • -Increasing our medical and security presence on-site at both dances
We will be releasing more details about both our dances during the next few weeks. Keep watching our webpage, Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr.

Schedule
  • -Both dances will be held on Saturday. There will be no informal dance on Friday.
  • -The formal ball will be held from 6:00 - 9:00 p.m.
  • -The informal dance will be held from 9:30 p.m. - 2:00 a.m.
  • -The Castle is approximately one mile from the convention center, at the corner of Columbus Ave. and Arlington St.
  • -Since the Castle is off-site, we will offer a shuttle service to and from the dances from 5:30 p.m. - 2:30 a.m.
  • -MBTA service to the Castle is available via the Arlington Street station on the Green Line. The Park Plaza is two blocks away from the Arlington Street T stop.
Ticketing
  • -All tickets/wristbands are limited to one per person.
  • -Tickets are required to attend the Formal Ball. A limited amount of tickets will be made available online with the rest being sold at the convention.
  • -A full weekend pass and wristband will be required to attend the Informal Dance. Wristbands can be picked up in Registration on Saturday afternoon. You must have your weekend badge and photo ID at time of pick-up.
  • -Wristbands will be distributed in Registration at 3:30 p.m. Saturday. There will be a cap of 1,450 total wristbands.
Formal Ball
  • -The Formal Ball is still all-ages.
  • -A wristband or weekend pass is not required to attend the Formal Ball
  • -We still plan to offer dance lessons prior to the formal dance. Exact time and location to be announced with our schedule.
  • -All previous policies regarding the formal ball will apply this year. Information will be posted on our website in the near future.
Informal Dance
  • -All attendees wishing to attend the informal dance must:
    • -Be at least 18 years of age with a government issued photo ID.
    • -Have a weekend badge to Anime Boston 2013. One-day badges will not be accepted.
    • -Have a wristband for the informal dance. It must be worn at all times during the dance.
  • -The Informal Dance Policy will be strictly enforced. Please leave all personal items behind. Anime Boston has the right to remove any attendee from the event.
  • -Both badges and wristbands will be checked at the shuttle bus and at the entrance of the dance.
Security
  • -In addition to Anime Boston Security Staff, Boston Park Plaza and the Boston Police Department will be on site. Depending on the situation, Anime Boston may defer security issues to Boston Police.
  • -An EMT detail will be on site for any medical emergencies.
Questions and Answers:

Q: Why all the changes?
A: In order to prevent a repeat of the incidents last year and ensure the safety of our dance attendees, we worked with our partners at the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority and various hotels to host this high-energy, popular event at the Boston Park Plaza.

Anime Boston strives for a safe environment for all of its attendees, especially after the events that occurred last year during our Informal Dance. As result of these issues, all Programming on the second floor of the Sheraton will be suspended after 6 p.m.

For more information on what happened last year, please see this thread.

Q: Will the dances be back in the Sheraton next year?
A: Unfortunately, we cannot answer this question at this time. What we do know is that this year’s dances will be just as awesome as years' past.

Q: Why can’t the informal dance be open to those under 18?
A: Because the dance is being hosted off-site, it brings in a larger issue of responsibility and liability towards minors. We are not able to take the risk to transporting minors from the convention grounds.

Q: Why do I need a full weekend badge instead of a Saturday-only?
A: Over the past few years, we found that attendees were buying a single-day badge to attend just the Informal Dance. We instituted this change to show that the Informal Dance is a part of Anime Boston, and not a separate event of its own.

Q: What could you have done instead?
A: Anime Boston has spent the last several months exploring all ideas and venues for both our Formal and Informal events. We found that the Boston Park Plaza was our best option.

Q: But, I only have a small purse. Can I bring it to the Informal Dance?
A: There will be only medical exceptions to this policy. It is recommended to leave your bags in your hotel room, car, or at the hotel baggage check.

Q: I need my inhaler, EpiPen and\or other medical supplies? Can I bring it to the Informal Dance?
A: Medical supplies are to be checked by a member of event security at the door.

Q: Can I pick up a wristband for my friend?
A: No. Each attendee must pick up their own wristband from Registration.

Q: Do I have to keep my wristband, photo ID, and convention badge on?
A: Yes. If you do not have all three, you will not be permitted onto the shuttles and you will not be permitted into the informal dance. If you are found without one of these three items, you may be ejected from the event.

Q: Do I have to take the shuttles to and from the dances?
A: We are providing them for your convenience and security. If you do not wish to take the shuttles, you may walk to the Castle, take the subway or a taxi cab.

Q: Will the shuttles be handicap accessible?
A: We will have at least one shuttle that is handicap accessible.

If you have further questions, please post them in this thread.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
Risikafox
Veteran Poster

Re: Changes to the Informal Dance and Formal Ball for 2013

Post by Risikafox »

While It will be a pain to get a wristband for the one informal dance, I'm sure it's got something o do with fire codes(maximum occupancy of the venue). Overall though, I completely agree with all the changes made for this year's dances.

I applaud Anime Boston for taking such measures as to best provide fun, safe entertainment for as many attendees as possible.
RapaxGuardian
Obsessed Poster

Post by RapaxGuardian »

After hearing about the horror that was last year's informal, and the volume of responses asking AB to do something about what happened, I'm very pleased with these changes! I understand minors will not be terribly happy, but considering what goes on in there... and what's been said... I wholeheartedly feel making it 18+ is for the best!
I personally won't be attending either event, but I'm very glad AB's gone the extra mile and put this together for all of us :D

And may I say, bravo for the all-weekend pass requirement!
AB '10: The Sorrow (MGS3)
AB '11: Vamp (MGS2)
AB '12: Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2) & Major Raikov (MGS3)
AB '13: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Meryl Silverburgh (MGS1) & Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2)
AB '14: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Olga Gurlukovich(MGS2)
AB '15: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), The Sorrow (MGS3), Callie Ohpeee (Homestuck)
ZombieTitso
I'm new!

Post by ZombieTitso »

SO PUMPED about these changes! Finally only people from the actual con will be raving with me! not some random weirdos! :)

Well done! See you all in May
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

Awesome job reigning things in and making sure AB doesn't get as bad as Anime Central has apparently gotten.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
maxx
Experienced Poster

informal dance/breakdance question

Post by maxx »

last year, the security staff was poorly informed about a room/area specifically made for breakdancing and stringing. Security made us stop dancing, even though you guys required us a seperate room....segregated from the main room. We then waited 45 min to be allowed to dance...in the room specifically made for us, but made us dance on the rug...away from the nice floor in the seperate room. Even though none of this was in the rules, as well as i witnessed one of the security staff last year physically push a breakdancer who was in mid headspin down for believing we werent allowed to dance there.

what has been done to change such actions? will the staff be well informed of your own rules? also how does the feet on the ground at all times rule work when breakdancing kinda negates that idea.
Last edited by maxx on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dstnyskr
Expert Poster

Post by dstnyskr »

I had a quick question. In regards to 'props' for the informal dance does that mean NO glowsticks? holla hoops? poi? wands?
I would be sad not to be allowed my LED Wand.
*as seen in my hand in link pic below*
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 2344_n.jpg

I've always enjoyed the 'Informal dance'. Its %50 why I go to the AB now or days.
I knew something was going to change after last years....incident(s). I was there.
Im glad to see the age limit.
Not sure about the whole location change.
Out of curiosity, what is the crowd # limit for the 2 dance rooms in the Sheraton?

thank you
-destiny
Let destiny decide.
~AB veteran 2006-2017(missed '15)~
yunaofparadise
Dedicated Poster

Post by yunaofparadise »

I'm so glad for the changes, because there will be less weirdos that only come just for the dance. I have a question though. Was there ever a discussion about minors having their own dance? Maybe at the con itself? I feel bad they don't have their own dance. Or maybe it was decided that there shouldn't be one because 18+ kids might sneak in?
RapaxGuardian
Obsessed Poster

Post by RapaxGuardian »

yunaofparadise wrote:I'm so glad for the changes, because there will be less weirdos that only come just for the dance. I have a question though. Was there ever a discussion about minors having their own dance? Maybe at the con itself? I feel bad they don't have their own dance. Or maybe it was decided that there shouldn't be one because 18+ kids might sneak in?
I can't answer for staff, but some staff have posted about that, because it's been brought up. It would be too complicated to have an under-18 event, because they can't issue age-specific badges, since people could lie, or buy other peoples' badges, plus there's the predator factor...
18+ events are more reasonable because they check government-issued IDs, rather than age-specific badges
AB '13: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Meryl Silverburgh (MGS1) & Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2)
AB '15: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), The Sorrow (MGS3), Callie Ohpeee (Homestuck)
Sakura-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sakura-chan »

I'm very excited about these new changes! While I enjoyed both dances in years past, I always felt that the ballroom they were held in was just a tad too small. (Maybe not for the formal ball, but definitely for the informal dance party.) I'm so very glad you guys are stepping up to the plate and taking measures to prevent what occurred last year from happening again. (While I wasn't in attendance last year, I did read what happened, and wasn't all that surprised. To be honest, I'm surprised those sorts of incidents do not happen more often at large informal convention dances.) I honestly hope you do not get too much flack for these decisions - you guys are doing the right thing and that makes me really happy. I love AB!

For those of you who may have a problem with this, please try to understand that AB was put in a tough situation last year, and they were taking many risks in years past by allowing people of all ages into the informal dance. It would only take one parent of a minor to get upset enough to get AB into a lot of trouble. Beyond that, they want to make sure that everyone, especially the younger attendees, are not put in harm's way.

Thank you again, and I hope other conventions will follow your lead in the future.
'06: Sakura (Naruto)
'07: Sakura (Naruto)
'09: Hungary (Hetalia)
'13: Euphemia (Code Geass, for the Spirit Ball!), Rachel Alucard (Blazblue)
'16: Saber EXTRA (Fate/EXTRA), Rose Quartz (SU)
fancyduckie
Veteran Poster

Post by fancyduckie »

Would it be possible at this point to split the wristband distribution between Friday and Saturday? Like do 725 at some point on Friday and the other half on Saturday? I know some people that are running panels or will be participating in another event during the time of the distribution so they won't be able to both do their event and go to the informal dance. (If not for this year, maybe for next?) I completely understand if this isn't feasible/worth the extra headaches, and I'm really glad AB is taking extra steps to ensure safety this year.

Oh also: if you leave the informal dance room (to get fresh air or something) will you be allowed back in again? Or is it "once you leave, you leave for the night" policy?
AB 2022 Lineup
Friday AM: Dancer Class Dorothea
Friday PM: Strawberry Trapper Mari
Saturday: Gwendolyn Valkyrie
Sunday: Pirate Kotori
poptarts_n_pixistix
Veteran Poster

Post by poptarts_n_pixistix »

How often will the shuttles be running to and from? It may only be a mile but after two days of cosplaying, then an hour or two of dancing my feet will be in NO mood to walk to get back if I don't want to stay super late.
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

Well done!

These new policies are thoughtful, firm, and clearly address the issues at hand. I'm very gratified to see that NEAS took last year's incident seriously. Let me offer my sincere appreciation!
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

dstnyskr wrote:I had a quick question. In regards to 'props' for the informal dance does that mean NO glowsticks? holla hoops? poi? wands?
I would be sad not to be allowed my LED Wand.
*as seen in my hand in link pic below*
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 2344_n.jpg
Glow sticks and the like will be allowed. There may be cordoned areas to make sure no one gets thwacked with one unexpectedly during a light show/trick/whatever it's called. But we do ask that depleted ones are disposed of in the proper trash bins.
yunaofparadise wrote:Was there ever a discussion about minors having their own dance? Maybe at the con itself? I feel bad they don't have their own dance. Or maybe it was decided that there shouldn't be one because 18+ kids might sneak in?
That is pretty much the reason for it. You can make someone prove they're over 18 with a government issued photo ID. However, the inverse is extremely difficult, as that would require all minors to get government issues photo IDs. School IDs wouldn't cut it, and some states don't offer IDs to children under a certain age. And there's still the issue of responsibility for minors, as children under 13 must have an adult accompanying them at the convention.

That being said, we will be making efforts to have more non-18+ programming in the evening so that those who cannot or chose not to attend the informal dance have more options at the convention center.
fancyduckie wrote:Would it be possible at this point to split the wristband distribution between Friday and Saturday? Like do 725 at some point on Friday and the other half on Saturday?
We cannot split the wristband distribution, as the wristbands will be put on the attendee at Registration. They cannot be taken off or transferred to someone else. So that people aren't wearing them for 24+ hours and possibly ripping or loosing them, we will only be distributing them on Saturday.
fancyduckie wrote:Oh also: if you leave the informal dance room (to get fresh air or something) will you be allowed back in again? Or is it "once you leave, you leave for the night" policy?
You'll be able to get back into the dance, as long as you still have your wristband on, your badge, and ID. You may be asked to present any or all of the above to get back in. However, we do ultimately reserve the right to refuse entry. This would be mostly, but not limited to, cases where we believe someone to be under the influence of substances or a possible danger to the community.
poptarts_n_pixistix wrote:How often will the shuttles be running to and from?
There will be several shuttles (I believe 4 at least) making round trips throughout the night. Estimate wait time for a shuttle may be upwards of 10-15 minutes. However, at around 1:30am buses will cease transporting attendees to the Castle. As we need to halt the informal dance at 2:00am, we want to make sure we're not bringing people over when we need to be winding down.
Chris O'Connell

thepolishpixie
Experienced Poster

Post by thepolishpixie »

WELL DONE AB! I think this an intelligent, well-thought out response to last year's shenanigans at the all ages dance. I didn't realize that people were buying passes just to attend this event (I don't attend it myself)

I was worried for a moment there that the Formal Ball may take some of the heat from that incident, and I'm relieved it did not. The Formal Ball is the number one reason I attend AB every year. It's not easy for a young ballroom dancing geek to find a fun venue to practice the waltz :) I'm hoping in years to come there will be more 21+ events, like the Jazz Lounge last year. More dancing for the con elderly please ;D
2013 Cosplays
Korra- Legend of Korra
Rapunzel- Tangled-inspired (steampunk influence)

2012 Cosplays
Rapunzel- Tangled (short hair)
heyyouthere
Expert Poster

Post by heyyouthere »

Is there going to be a cash bar?
AB'12-'13
THUR: Harry Potter - Hufflepuff house
FRI: Adventure Time- Finn
SAT: WILDC.A.T.s.(comic) - Grifter
R^V3: FLASH

downwash.tumblr.com
youtube.com/XsteveswansonX
Dashie
Experienced Poster

Post by Dashie »

I would just love to say that I LOVE YOU for making this decision.

I haven't attended this con since "Line Con", but I read up about everything that happened last year.

You did the best you could for keeping the events AND nipping all the problems in the butt.

As a veteran con staffer for other conventions, I tip my hat to you!
marahmarie
Getting the hang of this...

Post by marahmarie »

I have mixed feelings about this, on one hand I'm overjoyed that we are still having the dances, that the informal will be a lot safer and that I didn't buy a ball gown for nothing XD.

on the other hand I wish that the formal dance was still held at the Sheraton. I've never been to the park plaza castle so I'm a little unsure of what to expect. =/
AB 2015
Friday: Kiki from Kiki's Delivery Service
Saturday: Rarity from MLP:FIM
Sunday: Ouran Academy Female Student.

AB 2016
Friday: Lizzy Midford from Black Butler
Saturday: Saria from LOZ:OOT
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Faceman: The Boylston Green Line stop is actually closer to the Park Plaza Hotel. You walk down Tremont street one block and turn right. You'll then be walking right into it.

I would highly suggest folks take the shuttle or a cab after midnight: The MBTA shuts down at 12:35AM and starts up again at 5:00AM. You could also walk (providing it's not raining) but I would recommend going with someone familiar with the area as it's pretty easy to get lost at night if you don't know exactly where you are and where you want to go.

If you have Google Earth on your Smartphone or computer I would recommend using it to get a good idea of what streets to take, etc.
marahmarie wrote:I have mixed feelings about this, on one hand I'm overjoyed that we are still having the dances, that the informal will be a lot safer and that I didn't buy a ball gown for nothing XD.

on the other hand I wish that the formal dance was still held at the Sheraton. I've never been to the park plaza castle so I'm a little unsure of what to expect. =/
I don't attend the Dance and Ball myself but the fact that it drew alot of outsiders last year is the reason it's being moved off-site this year.

As for the PPH it's basically the Hynes' evil twin: Twists and turns designed to do nothing short of annoy you to pieces unless you're with someone who knows the halls well. Aside from that it's the best place to host the Dance and Ball offsite.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Sakura-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sakura-chan »

...Hide and seek, anyone? 8-)
'06: Sakura (Naruto)
'07: Sakura (Naruto)
'09: Hungary (Hetalia)
'13: Euphemia (Code Geass, for the Spirit Ball!), Rachel Alucard (Blazblue)
'16: Saber EXTRA (Fate/EXTRA), Rose Quartz (SU)
DrakaDark
Veteran Poster

Post by DrakaDark »

I've headed a few complaints the biggest being the location. I for one don't see that as an issues AB had offered us free shuttle rides to and from 5:30 p.m. - 2:30 a.m. While I have never been to the Boston Park Plaza it was the original location to Anime Boston. How we are getting free shuttles you don't have to worries about getting there and back. They do have information about how to get there by train on the site.

Also I believe we should have been carding from the beginning and limiting bags especially since last year. This venue will give us more space, more ventilation, water, added security, emt, and a body count. This will make sure we are not over crowded and are not in violation of the fire code. Over all I approve about all the changes.

As to those that are not +18 just wait till your of age. If your really young you shouldn't be in the informal dance. We need no issues with minor and underage issues.

You should not be comming to a con for a dance. There are plenty of options for dances year round in Boston and the cities around it.

I do have a question how it pertains to ladies how we something have to carry some extra stuff for personal stuff would a clutch bag. Some of these have lops that helps us keep it to attached to us at all times. Would that be aloud.
NekZilla

Re: informal dance/breakdance question

Post by NekZilla »

maxx wrote:last year, the security staff was poorly informed about a room/area specifically made for breakdancing and stringing. Security made us stop dancing, even though you guys required us a seperate room....segregated from the main room. We then waited 45 min to be allowed to dance...in the room specifically made for us, but made us dance on the rug...away from the nice floor in the seperate room. Even though none of this was in the rules, as well as i witnessed one of the security staff last year physically push a breakdancer who was in mid headspin down for believing we werent allowed to dance there.

what has been done to change such actions? will the staff be well informed of your own rules? also how does the feet on the ground at all times rule work when breakdancing kinda negates that idea.
Soo about this unanswered post, considering that of all the changes this one pertains to me the most. I've heard loads of horror stories from con buddies and fellow dancers on what happened last year like stated above....
AnimeBoston #2, Con #83

1449 Swag. We are the party.
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

NekZilla wrote:
maxx wrote:last year, the security staff was poorly informed about a room/area specifically made for breakdancing and stringing. Security made us stop dancing, even though you guys required us a seperate room....segregated from the main room. We then waited 45 min to be allowed to dance...in the room specifically made for us, but made us dance on the rug...away from the nice floor in the seperate room. Even though none of this was in the rules, as well as i witnessed one of the security staff last year physically push a breakdancer who was in mid headspin down for believing we werent allowed to dance there.

Soo about this unanswered post, considering that of all the changes this one pertains to me the most. I've heard loads of horror stories from con buddies and fellow dancers on what happened last year like stated above....

First let me answer one thing. The "separate room" you speak of was the Republic Ballroom, That was never "Specifically made" for any one group. It was designed to be an additional area with a different DJ within the confines of the dance, it was NOT ment to be for breakdancers or any other single group. How do i know this? I am the person who does the event layouts and provides the event specifications to our venues and vendors.

I cannot speak to any specific actions by AB security last year, however the room was approaching capacity and as that happens the space available for any action wil shrink so that we can allow the most people into the space as we are legally allowed to.

When we calculated the capacity for the new venue there was no space "specifically dedicated" to any one group. As it happens and as people come and go space may develop, however currently we are not going to cordon off or set up any specific area to accommodate any group if it is going to impact the maximum number of people we can allow into the venue.
Michael Lee
Director of Technical Operations
maxx
Experienced Poster

Post by maxx »

Aidan2 wrote:
NekZilla wrote:

First let me answer one thing. The "separate room" you speak of was the Republic Ballroom, That was never "Specifically made" for any one group. It was designed to be an additional area with a different DJ within the confines of the dance, it was NOT ment to be for breakdancers or any other single group. How do i know this? I am the person who does the event layouts and provides the event specifications to our venues and vendors.

I cannot speak to any specific actions by AB security last year, however the room was approaching capacity and as that happens the space available for any action wil shrink so that we can allow the most people into the space as we are legally allowed to.

When we calculated the capacity for the new venue there was no space "specifically dedicated" to any one group. As it happens and as people come and go space may develop, however currently we are not going to cordon off or set up any specific area to accommodate any group if it is going to impact the maximum number of people we can allow into the venue.
your rules have stated breakdancing was another specified location with the stringers. you've had this rule in place for the past 2-3 years.

"Break dancing and stringing may only be done in specified areas of the dance floor."

for the past 2 years we were told to go to the other room. it may not have been meant to be specifically for breakers on paper...but that is where every security person who is staff has sent us. That is the only place where security hasnt bothered to stop us from dancing, bar the incident with the one member last year. anytime someone did anything that was construed as "breaking" ex. me just dancing around was assumed to be breakdancing when it wasnt. i was told to stop dancing, when i was in the main room. So it's hard to kinda think anyother way but that room was for breakers and stringers.

no one goes in the other room except the stringers and breakers, not sure what groups you were accommodating as it is usually a pretty empty room except for the breakers and a few other people.

im still confused on the other part of the rules as feet on the ground vs breakdancing. also confused on how you will be laying out the new dance location for breakers.
witchpaws

Post by witchpaws »

Haha, I was kind of hoping that it would be an all ages event since, although I am 18, the person I'm going with is 17 and we won't be able to attend together /: But this sounds like it will be an overall much safer, enjoyable experience.
Anime Boston 2012: Jolteon
Anime Boston 2013: Panty, The Batter (OFF), Jade Harley
Anime Boston 2014: Stocking
Anime Boston 2015: Madoka, Kurapika
deviantART
Tumblr
Silentsword
I'm new!

Post by Silentsword »

Q: I need my inhaler, EpiPen andor other medical supplies? Can I bring it to the Informal Dance?
A: Medical supplies are to be checked by a member of event security at the door.

EpiPens, as well as many other medications, are controlled substances. If I have to have such a medication on me (I do, both an EpiPen and a Schedule 2), is AB prepared to deal with the legal ramifications of this, i.e. that possession of some of these medications by a person without a prescription is illegal under any circumstances?

Is AB also prepared to deal with the possibility of a severe asthma attack or other such problem on the floor of the dance or the formal, when the person doesn't have their medication on hand? If someone has an asthma attack, or goes into anaphylaxis from, say, a bee sting, they're not going to be able to run to the entrance and wait for the staff to root through all the bags and such to find their medication.

This policy seems to me to be asking for a different type of problem from last year, either someone trolling, or else there being a medical emergency on the floor that is made worse by not having the inhaler or antianaphylacitc on the person. Would it not be better to require an exact ID match at the door for any medications, and that the person only carry the necessary amount?

Finally, are these restrictions also going to be in place for the formal? That's actually what I care about, as I don't go to the dance.
SaiyanHikari
Expert Poster

Post by SaiyanHikari »

Hi! Unless I'm reading this wrong, the formal dance will be occurring on Saturday night?
Therefore, will it overlap with the Masquerade at all?
RapaxGuardian
Obsessed Poster

Post by RapaxGuardian »

SaiyanHikari wrote:Hi! Unless I'm reading this wrong, the formal dance will be occurring on Saturday night?
Therefore, will it overlap with the Masquerade at all?
Judging by the times, it seems like the Formal and Masque will overlap
BridgyKitty

Post by BridgyKitty »

Silentsword wrote:Q: I need my inhaler, EpiPen andor other medical supplies? Can I bring it to the Informal Dance?

EpiPens, as well as many other medications, are controlled substances. If I have to have such a medication on me (I do, both an EpiPen and a Schedule 2), is AB prepared to deal with the legal ramifications of this, i.e. that possession of some of these medications by a person without a prescription is illegal under any circumstances?

Is AB also prepared to deal with the possibility of a severe asthma attack or other such problem on the floor of the dance or the formal, when the person doesn't have their medication on hand? If someone has an asthma attack, or goes into anaphylaxis from, say, a bee sting, they're not going to be able to run to the entrance and wait for the staff to root through all the bags and such to find their medication.

This policy seems to me to be asking for a different type of problem from last year, either someone trolling, or else there being a medical emergency on the floor that is made worse by not having the inhaler or antianaphylacitc on the person. Would it not be better to require an exact ID match at the door for any medications, and that the person only carry the necessary amount?

Finally, are these restrictions also going to be in place for the formal? That's actually what I care about, as I don't go to the dance.

I might have misunderstood when I read the Q&A, but I read the "Medical supplies are to be checked by a member of event security at the door" as staff will check to make sure that is why you have a bag and that the medical supplies are yours before letting you in. I didn't get the impression that staff would hold on to your medical supplies. I am sure a staff member will clarify, but I just wanted to mention that I read the statement differently. Additionally, in regards to epipens/inhalers, will they need to have a prescription label on them for us to bring them in? My labels are usually on the boxes, not the actual things so I would have to remember the boxes. Thanks :)
Mosquito1945
AB Staff

Post by Mosquito1945 »

BridgyKitty is correct. You may carry a bag for medical supplies. We want you to have the best, safest possible time. If you do need to bring an inhaler or something, you may definitely do so. Security will be checking those bags at the door and if you have a reason to have a bag, you will be allowed to carry it with you. You will not be required to surrender it to anyone.

These restrictions are not for the formal, however in light of recent events, be prepared for the possibility of bag checks. While we have not heard anything from the facilities, this could be a procedure they put in place. The rules and regulations will be updated when and if we are informed of any changes.
Kate Harrison
Asst. Merchandising Manager
mysteria
Experienced Poster

Post by mysteria »

So, what if you are underage? Every year it seems that by 11 there are only 18+ events and anyone younger than that has nothing to do. I'm not trying to fight the 18+ policy I'm just saying it's not fair for people under 18 to have to return to their rooms before 12 for sake they have nothing else to do. Will there be alternative events for the minors. It just kind of stinks especially if you are barely missing the 18 year age requirement by a few months :| .
AB 2009: Tenten
AB 2010: Momo Hinamori ( I won't lie, I do regret this one)
AB 2011: Sebastian Michaelis
AB 2012: N. Italy
AB 2013: Korra
AB 2014: Edward Elric
AB 2015: Ashitaka
AB 2016: Raven
RapaxGuardian
Obsessed Poster

Post by RapaxGuardian »

mysteria wrote:So, what if you are underage? Every year it seems that by 11 there are only 18+ events and anyone younger than that has nothing to do. I'm not trying to fight the 18+ policy I'm just saying it's not fair for people under 18 to have to return to their rooms before 12 for sake they have nothing else to do. Will there be alternative events for the minors. It just kind of stinks especially if you are barely missing the 18 year age requirement by a few months :| .
I can say from personal experience that even if there were all-ages events at that time, attendees under 18 won't be allowed into them.
Last year, I was 17, and made a point to go out to see a Shin Chan showing that was nestled into a lot of 18+ events, but it itself was not labeled 18+, but I was not allowed in just because "Everything else at this time is 18+ so I can't let you in." :evil:
mysteria
Experienced Poster

Post by mysteria »

RapaxGuardian wrote:
mysteria wrote:So, what if you are underage? Every year it seems that by 11 there are only 18+ events and anyone younger than that has nothing to do. I'm not trying to fight the 18+ policy I'm just saying it's not fair for people under 18 to have to return to their rooms before 12 for sake they have nothing else to do. Will there be alternative events for the minors. It just kind of stinks especially if you are barely missing the 18 year age requirement by a few months :| .
I can say from personal experience that even if there were all-ages events at that time, attendees under 18 won't be allowed into them.
Last year, I was 17, and made a point to go out to see a Shin Chan showing that was nestled into a lot of 18+ events, but it itself was not labeled 18+, but I was not allowed in just because "Everything else at this time is 18+ so I can't let you in." :evil:
Honestly, if they are going to make the dance 18+ they need to have something for minors. Not to be a pain, it just really stinks. :-(
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

mysteria wrote: Honestly, if they are going to make the dance 18+ they need to have something for minors. Not to be a pain, it just really stinks. :-(

I Can promise you Our programming department is well aware of the need to have additional all ages events and other similar programming running well into the night. We are doing our best to make sure that this is happening.
Michael Lee
mysteria
Experienced Poster

Post by mysteria »

That's awesome! I think I can say thank you for all of the minors out there. :D
DreamAeris
AB Staff

Post by DreamAeris »

NekZilla wrote:

This year we as security plan to have a group of people who are going to be dedicated to the dance. We are on heightened alert due to last years issues and want to be sure everyone is safe, including our own staffers. This means there will be more of us and we will all be clear about those rules so we can properly adhere to them and help you to do the same, again, all while being safe but having a good time.
Nikki Jones (Kolosha)

Chief of Staff/ Assistant Security Manager 2018-Current
Assistant Security Manager 2009-2017
Security 2005-2008
Information Desk 2004
Volunteer 2003
heyyouthere
Expert Poster

Post by heyyouthere »

So, is there going to be a cash bar, still no answer...?
AB'12-'13
THUR: Harry Potter - Hufflepuff house
FRI: Adventure Time- Finn
SAT: WILDC.A.T.s.(comic) - Grifter
R^V3: FLASH

downwash.tumblr.com
youtube.com/XsteveswansonX
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

heyyouthere wrote:So, is there going to be a cash bar, still no answer...?
No there will not be a "Cash Bar" The Dance at the Castle (both Informal and Formal) will be "Dry" events. We are still negotiating with the Castle and its management about any concessions, however you can be certain there will be no alcohol served during the events at the castle.
Michael Lee
LadyFae
AB Alumni

Post by LadyFae »

...but there will be a cash bar at the 21+ lounge Friday night in the Hilton :D
Rebecca Irvin Lee, lady of many hats

Anime Boston Executive Team (GR, Relations, PR, GR) 2002-2008,2013-2016
AB Formal Co-Chair 2006-2009
Ballroom Dance Instructor 2008-2012
21+ Lounge coordinator 2010-2014
NEAS Board Member 2002-2003, 2011-2016
lordshamus
AB Staff

Post by lordshamus »

LadyFae wrote:...but there will be a cash bar at the 21+ lounge Friday night in the Hilton :D
And I will personally make sure that it is the safest lounge ever. I am going to guard the HELL out of that bar. So attendees, rest easy.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Shamus Mahan
Legatus Legionis
AB Security
Consul
NEAS

“Uneasy lies the head that wears a hilarious novelty hat.” -Wm Shakespeare
ohaiitzwill
I'm new!

Post by ohaiitzwill »

Quick question: I anticipate a rush to get those wristbands for the informal dance. I also anticipate really long lines (and people staking out for HOURS just to get a wrist band). As a con-goer that enjoys attending all of the different panels and events, I'm worried that I won't have any chance of getting a wrist band because I won't be waiting in line for several hours (and if this is a case of no one is allowed to line-up, what seems to happen is that people wait in line, then walk away, then resume their position). So how will someone who doesn't want to spend most of the con in line for dance wrist bands, be able to get a wrist band?

Thanks.
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

ohaiitzwill wrote:Quick question: I anticipate a rush to get those wristbands for the informal dance. I also anticipate really long lines (and people staking out for HOURS just to get a wrist band). As a con-goer that enjoys attending all of the different panels and events, I'm worried that I won't have any chance of getting a wrist band because I won't be waiting in line for several hours (and if this is a case of no one is allowed to line-up, what seems to happen is that people wait in line, then walk away, then resume their position). So how will someone who doesn't want to spend most of the con in line for dance wrist bands, be able to get a wrist band?

Thanks.
Lining up for Informal Dance Wristbands will be limited to 30 minutes before distribution begins. Since they'll be given out at 3:30pm, no lining up for it will be permitted before 3:00pm. This is to prevent excessive lines, but also as it will be in Registration, we would not have the space for a large crowd of people to hang out there for 2 hours. If people are trying to congregate before 3:00pm, they will be turned away by Anime Boston staff.

Also please keep in mind that wristbands will be 1 per person. So you do not need to worry about 1 person taking 20 wristbands.
Chris O'Connell

Mamacass
Veteran Poster

Post by Mamacass »

I appreciate that the Informal Dance will be 18+, I didn't go last year (thank goodness) but I did go in 2011 and there were WAY too many minors running around that did NOT seem to be completely sober!

In a related note (sort of)
1) We are supposed to start lining up for wrist bands for the Informal Dance at 3pm?
2) WHERE?? :oops:
winterwing3000
AB Alumni

Post by winterwing3000 »

Mamacass wrote:I appreciate that the Informal Dance will be 18+, I didn't go last year (thank goodness) but I did go in 2011 and there were WAY too many minors running around that did NOT seem to be completely sober!

In a related note (sort of)
1) We are supposed to start lining up for wrist bands for the Informal Dance at 3pm?
2) WHERE?? :oops:
"-Wristbands will be distributed in Registration at 3:30 p.m. Saturday. "
Elisa Cheng
Security Staff '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18

--
"Steel is my body, fire is my blood..." - Archer, Fate/Stay Night (Unlimited Blade Works incantation)
Mamacass
Veteran Poster

Post by Mamacass »

Thank you
Leona Lavender

Post by Leona Lavender »

Question: My friend recently turned 18 and her official state id won't be here in time for the convention. Would she be able to use the temporary id the rmv gives her or another form of id??
Issac
I'm new!

Post by Issac »

Faceman wrote: To ensure the safety of our attendees and staff, we will be:
  • -Offering shuttle buses between the Sheraton Boston and the Park Plaza Castle
  • -Enforcing an 18+, weekend-pass only policy for admittance to the Informal Dance
  • -A full weekend pass and wristband will be required to attend the Informal Dance. Wristbands can be picked up in Registration on Saturday afternoon. You must have your weekend badge and photo ID at time of pick-up.
[/list]
Quick question. I have a few friends who, due to school and work on Friday, have only pre-purchased a Saturday/Sunday pass as they have next to no time to attend Friday. By the bare lettering of what has been announced they seem to be unable to attend the dance, is this correct? It seemed to me the intent was to stop people from purchasing Saturday only -just- to go to the informal dance, not unduly restrict con-goers who have school and work obligations on the Friday.
"Let us consider that we are all insane. It will explain us to each other; it will unriddle many riddles..." ~Mark Twain~

"In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." ~Sir Francis Bacon~

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~Terry Pratchett~
Mosquito1945
AB Staff

Post by Mosquito1945 »

We only sell weekend or individual day passes. Weekend passes cover you Friday, Saturday, and Sunday or any combination thereof, so that is what your friends have probably purchased. It's what you're going to want too since it will save you money, especially if you pre-register. It won't matter what days you attend, you are welcome to come and go as you please and won't be penalized for missing days: as long as you have that pass you can attend the dance.
Kate Harrison
Asst. Merchandising Manager
Katie_Kandy
I'm new!

Post by Katie_Kandy »

I was just wondering about the Formal Ball tickets.
What time and place would the be sold? :)
winterwing3000
AB Alumni

Post by winterwing3000 »

Katie_Kandy wrote:I was just wondering about the Formal Ball tickets.
What time and place would the be sold? :)
The tickets are sold currently online at the Anime Boston website here. As the website states, the at-con tickets will be announced later.

Hope that helps!
Elisa Cheng
Security Staff '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18

--
"Steel is my body, fire is my blood..." - Archer, Fate/Stay Night (Unlimited Blade Works incantation)