Yōkai Art Contest

This forum contains discussion about all news and announcements related to Anime Boston.
midnightsiren182
AB Staff

Yōkai Art Contest

Post by midnightsiren182 »

As part of our 2013 "Tales of Yōkai" theme, Anime Boston is pleased to announce a Yōkai Art Contest!

What are Yōkai?
Yōkai are a type of supernatural creature from Japanese folklore, often also called spirits or ghosts. They range in temperament from the malicious to the mischievous. There are yōkai resembling goblins, animals, humans, and inanimate objects like sandals, umbrellas, and lanterns. Some yōkai even appear to be made from mist alone!

What about this contest?
In celebration of our theme subject matter, Anime Boston is inviting artists to interpret a variety of spirits to be used in our official convention artwork. One special Grand Prize winner will receive a free, non-transferable table in the 2013 Artists' Alley. Runners-up will also be selected for each type of Yōkai, and their credited art will be displayed prominently in Anime Boston web presence and publications.

How to enter:
-Email submissions to contest@animeboston.com
-You may include more than one submission per email.
-You must include the following information in your submission: First and last name, email address, date of birth, names of Yōkai being submitted.
-Submission files must be attached to the email in either image or video format (for 3D submissions). Please ensure that each file is clearly named for its Yōkai.
-You are responsible for ensuring that submission files, whether image or video, are able to be opened and viewed. Anime Boston is not responsible for submissions where the images or videos are not viewable or corrupt. Such submissions cannot be judged.
-All submission files must have a minimum of 300 DPI.
-3D submissions must have a white backdrop.
-Submissions are due by Wednesday, October 31, 2012.

The nitty-gritty:
We will be accepting 3 entries for each type of Yōkai. One (1) Honorable Mention may be chosen from a Yōkai category, an one (1) Grand Prize will be awarded to one (1) entry overall. A list of available Yōkai is included below.

All submissions must be original creations of the artist submitting them. Plagiarized or stolen submissions will be disqualified immediately.

All entries will be licensed for Anime Boston’s use under a Creative Commons CC BY-SA license. Anime Boston retains the right to modify winning entries (format, size, etc.) for use in our promotional materials. Artists will retain the right to print and sell their work.

Participating artists must be 18 years old or older. The Grand Prize winner must have a valid preregistration to Anime Boston 2013 at the time of awarding to receive the Grand Prize. While Anime Boston staff is welcome to participate, no current staff member may win the Grand Prize. The Grand Prize winner is required to present valid tax identification documentation and fulfill all other requirements of the Artists’ Alley. If the Grand Prize winner already has an Artists' Alley table at time of awarding, the cost of their table will be reimbursed.

If the Grand Prize winner does not accept the prize, or is otherwise found to be ineligible, another Grand Prize winner will be selected.

Anime Boston reserves the right to modify these rules at any time without notice.

List of Yōkai:
Our list of Yōkai still available can be found here.
Lauren Gallo
Programming Ops Staff 2024
sconepop
AB Alumni

Re: Yōkai Art Contest

Post by sconepop »

List of Yōkai

Once a Yōkai has received the maximum number of submissions, it will be crossed out on the list.

Aobōzu - A traditional monster from Japanese folklore.
Abumi-guchi - A furry creature formed from the stirrup of a mounted military commander works for Yama Orochi
Abura-sumashi - A spirit who lives on a mountain pass in Kumamoto Prefecture.
Akabeko - A red cow involved in the construction of the Enzō-ji temple in Yanaizu, Fukushima.
Akashita - A creature that looms in a black cloud over a floodgate.
Akateko - A red hand dangling out of a tree.
Akkorokamui - An Ainu monster resembling a fish or octopus.
Akurojin-no-hi - A ghostly fire from Mie Prefecture.
Amaburakosagi - A ritual-disciplinary demon from Shikoku.
Amamehagi - A ritual-disciplinary demon from Hokuriku.
Amanojaku - A small demon that instigates people into wickedness.
Amanozako - A monstrous goddess mentioned in the Kujiki.
Amaterasu - A sun goddess.
Amefurikozō - A little boy spirit who plays in the rain.
Amemasu - An Ainu creature resembling a fish or whale.
Amikiri - The net-cutting spirit.
Amorōnagu - A Tennyo from the island of Amami Ōshima.
Anmo - A ritual-disciplinary demon from Iwate Prefecture.
Aoandon - The spirit of the blue paper lantern.
Aonyōbō - A female ghost who lurks in an abandoned imperial palace.
Aosaginohi - A luminescent heron.
Arikura-no-baba - An old woman with magical powers.
Ashimagari - A spirit which entangles the legs of travelers.
Ashinagatenaga - A pair of characters, one with long legs and the other with long arms.
Azukiarai - A spirit that makes the sound of azuki beans being washed.
Azukitogi - Another name for Azukiarai.
Bake-kujira - A ghostly whale skeleton that drifts along the coastline of Shimane Prefecture.
Bakeneko - A shape-shifting cat.
Baku - An auspicious beast who can devour nightmares.
Basan - A large fire-breathing chicken monster.
Daidarabotchi - An angry giant responsible for creating many horrible yet cute geographical features in Japan.
Daitengu - The most powerful Tengu , each of whom lives on a separate mountain.
Fūjin - The wind god.
Futakuchi-onna - The two-mouthed woman.
Goryō - The vengeful spirits of the dead.
Hannya - A noh mask representing a jealous female demon.
Harionago - A woman with a thorn-like barb on the tip of each strand of her hair
Heikegani - Crabs with human-faced shells. They are the spirits of the warriors killed in the Battle of Dan-no-ura.
Hibagon - The Japanese version of Bigfoot.
Hiderigami - The god of drought.
Hitodama - A fireball ghost that appears when someone dies.
Hitotsume-kozō - A one-eyed boy.
Hō-ō - The legendary Fenghuang bird of China.
Hoji - The wicked spirit of Tamamo-no-Mae.
Hone-onna - A skeleton woman.
Hyakki Yakō - The demons’ night parade.
Hyōsube - A kind of hair-covered kappa.
Ikiryō - Essentially a living ghost , as it is a living person’s soul outside of their body.
Inugami - A dog -spirit created, worshipped, and employed by a family via sorcery.
Isonade - A fish -like sea monster with a barb-covered tail.
Jinmenju - A tree with human-faced fruits.
Jishin-namazu - The giant catfish that causes earthquakes and tsunami. It was blamed during the Ansei quake & tsunami.
Jorōgumo - A spider woman.
Jubokko - A vampire tree.
Kamaitachi - The slashing sickle-clawed weasel that haunts the mountains.
Kara-Kasa - One of a larger category of Yōkai known as tsukumogami.
Karasu-tengu - A Tengu with a bird’s bill.
Kawa-uso - A supernatural river otter.
Keneō - An old man seated in the underworld who weighs the clothes given to him by Datsue-ba.
Keukegen - A small dog -like creature covered entirely in long hair.
Kijimunaa - A tree sprite from Okinawa.
Kirin - The Qilin of China is part dragon and part ox. It is sometimes called the "Chinese unicorn".
Kodama - A spirit that lives in a tree.
Koharu Cox - The Little Spring.
Kokakuchō - The Ubume bird.
Komainu - The pair of lion - dogs that guard the entrances of temples.
Konoha-tengu - A bird-like Tengu.
Koropokkuru - A little person from Ainu folklore.
Kosode-no-te - A possessed kimono robe.
Kuchisake-onna - The slit-mouthed woman.
Kuda-gitsune - A small fox -like animal used in sorcery.
Kyōrinrin - Possessed scrolls or papers.
Miage-nyūdō - A spirit that grows as fast as you can look up at it.
Mizuchi - A dangerous water dragon.
Mokumokuren - A swarm of eyes that appear on a paper sliding door in an old building.
Morinji-no-kama - Another name for Bunbuku Chagama, the tanuki teakettle.
Mu-onna - The nothing woman.
Mujina - A shapeshifting badger.
Myōbu - A title sometimes given to a fox.
Namahage - A ritual-disciplinary demon from the Oga Peninsula.
Namazu - A giant catfish that causes earthquakes.
Ningyo - A fish person or "mermaid".
Noppera-bō - A faceless ghost.
Nue - A monster with the head of a monkey , the body of a raccoon dog , the legs of a tiger , and a snake -headed tail. It plagued the emperor with nightmares in the Heike Monogatari.
Nukekubi - A vicious human-like monster whose head detaches from its body, often confused with the Rokurokubi.
Nurarihyon - A strange character who sneaks into houses on busy evenings.
Nure-onna - A female snake -like monster who appears on the shore.
Nurikabe - A ghostly wall that traps a traveler at night.
O-Nyudo - A large monk with the power to change size and shape shift
Okiku - The plate-counting ghost of a servant girl.
Ōkubi - The face of a huge woman which appears in the sky.
Oni - The classic Japanese demon. It is an ogre -like creature which often has horns.
Onibaba - The demon hag.
Onibi - A spirit fire.
Onryō - A vengeful ghost.
Otoroshi - A hairy creature that perches on the gates to shrines and temples.
Raijin - The God of Thunder.
Raijū - A beast that falls to earth in a lightning bolt.
Rokurokubi - A person, usually female, whose neck can stretch indefinitely.
Ryū - The Japanese dragon.
Sa Gojō - The water-monster Sha Wujing from Journey to the West , often interpreted in Japan as a kappa.
Samebito - A shark -man from the undersea Dragon Palace.
Satori - An ape -like creature that can read minds.
Sazae-oni - A turban snail that turns into a woman.
Sesshō-seki - The poisonous "killing stones" which Tamamo-no-Mae transformed into.
Seto-Taishō - Seto-Taishō is a tiny little soldier pieced together out of chipped teacups, cracked dishes, and other miscellaneous utensils which a household no longer uses. Its face is a sake bottle and its armor is made of porcelain-ware. It runs about the kitchen on tiny spoons, wielding knives or chopsticks as swords or spears. Seto-taisho is highly aggressive, and loves to chase the cooking staff around the kitchen, causing chaos. It occasionally crashes into walls or cabinets, shattering to hundreds of pieces, and then slowly puts itself back together again to resume its miniature kitchen war. Trans. "General Seto, the crockery general." - from The Night Parade of One Hundred Demons, pp . 207-208 (Kindle version)
Shachihoko - A tiger -headed fish whose image is often used in architecture.
Shikigami - A spirit summoned to do the bidding of an Onmyōji.
Shikome - Wild women sent by Izanami to harm Izanagi.
Shinigami - The Japanese Grim Reaper.
Shirōneri - Possessed mosquito nettings or dust clothes.
Shisa - The Okinawan version of the Shishi.
Shishi - The paired lion - dogs that guard the entrances of temples.
Sōjōbō - The famous Daitengu of Mount Kurama.
Son Gokū - The monkey king Sun Wukong from Journey to the West.
Tamamo-no-Mae - A wicked nine-tailed fox who appeared as a courtesan.
Te-no-me - Ghost of a blind man, with his eyes on his hands
Tengu - A wise bird -like demon.
Tennin - A heavenly being.
Tsuchigumo - A giant spider that was defeated by Minamoto no Raikō.
Tsuchinoko - A legendary serpentine monster. It is now a cryptid resembling a fat snake.
Tsukumogami - An animated tea caddy that Matsunaga Hisahide used to bargain a peace with Oda Nobunaga. It is now understood to mean any 100-year-old inanimate object that has come to life.
Tsukuyomi - A moon god.
Tsurube-otoshi - A monster that drops out of the tops of trees.
Ubume - The spirit of a woman who died in childbirth.
Umibōzu - A giant monster appearing on the surface of the sea.
Ungaikyo - A possessed mirror.
Ushi-oni - A name given to an assortment of ox -headed monsters.
Uwan - A spirit named for the sound it shouts when surprising people.
Wani - A water monster comparable to an alligator or crocodile. A related word has been applied to the Saltwater crocodile.
Wanyūdō - A flaming wheel with a man’s head in the center, that sucks out the soul of anyone who sees it.
Yadōkai - Monks who have turned to mischief.
Yama-uba - A Crone -like yōkai.
Yamaoroshi - A possessed grater.
Yamata no Orochi - The eight-headed dragon / serpent monster slain by the god Susanoo.
Yatagarasu - The three-legged crow of Amaterasu.
Yato-no-kami - Deadly Snake Gods which infested a field.
Yobuko - A mountain-dwelling spirit.
Yomotsu-shikome - The hags of the underworld.
Yōsei - The Japanese word for "fairy".
Yosuzume - a mysterious bird that sings at night, sometimes indicating that the okuri-inu is near.
Yuki-onna - The snow woman.
Zashiki-warashi - A protective child-like house spirit.
Zennyo Ryūō - A rain-making dragon.
Zorigami - A possessed clock.
Kelley Kullman
Theme Staff 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

If you have questions regarding this contest, please feel free to post in this thread.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
okapirose
Determined Poster

Post by okapirose »

This is really exciting and a great way for artists to have a chance at a free table C: I do have a couple questions however.

I've always paired with another artist to share the table in the alley. Not only for the costs of the table but also to help promote each other's stuff, allow one of us to be present while the other goes on a food run, etc. But we also both sell our own art and only keep the profits made form what we sell of our own stuff.

If I won, would only I be allowed the table or am I allowed to share it with whoever I want so long as its still under my name, I'm selling my stuff at the table and I'm attending?

Also do we get to pick where our table will be or is it pre determined?

Thank you!
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

You're allowed to share the table, just as if you got the table through the usual AA means. But the winner has to be using the table too, again, just like the usual AA rules.

So essentially if someone wants to win the table, they have to be using it themselves. They can't give or sell it to friends to use. But they can have friends with them sharing the table.

As for location picking, Nikki will have to answer that once she's available.
Chris O'Connell

masterofplush
Determined Poster

Post by masterofplush »

Out of curiosity are there any medium limits? For example if I wanted to make a plush model of the creature, and if there are none are there advantages to doing it using certain mediums?
Come check out our cute plushies and cool art at Fluffy Kitten Studios
okapirose
Determined Poster

Post by okapirose »

masterofplush wrote:Out of curiosity are there any medium limits? For example if I wanted to make a plush model of the creature, and if there are none are there advantages to doing it using certain mediums?
Same here, but I work in clay.

It says "3D submissions must have a white backdrop" so I'm assuming we're allowed. But how do you judge 2D vs 3D?
SeanDonnanArt
Expert Poster

Post by SeanDonnanArt »

First off, this is freakin' awesome. Thanks for the opportunity.

Secondly, I just want to make sure I'm clear on this; so if you're only accepting 3 entries per Yokai, that means that all the slots could potentially fill up well before October 31st, correct? Granted, there is quite a long list. It just makes me nervous as someone could potentially be working on a masterful piece of art and be all ready to submit it and then all of a sudden find out that the slots have been filled for that particular Yokai. Early bird gets the worm?

Oh and in addition, is it ok to post said entries onto sites like deviant art or a personal blog before judging has taken place? Or do you need them not to be for advertising reasons?
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

okapirose wrote:
masterofplush wrote:Out of curiosity are there any medium limits? For example if I wanted to make a plush model of the creature, and if there are none are there advantages to doing it using certain mediums?
Same here, but I work in clay.

It says "3D submissions must have a white backdrop" so I'm assuming we're allowed. But how do you judge 2D vs 3D?
3D submissions are allowed in whatever medium you choose to work.

We will judge 2D vs 3D based on the overall appearance and quality of the work. Just remember that with the 3D work, you're submitting photos or videos of your creation. So make sure those are of good quality. If you have poor lighting for your photo of your clay statue, we won't be able to see it well when we judge it.
CanisPanthera wrote: Secondly, I just want to make sure I'm clear on this; so if you're only accepting 3 entries per Yokai, that means that all the slots could potentially fill up well before October 31st, correct? Granted, there is quite a long list. It just makes me nervous as someone could potentially be working on a masterful piece of art and be all ready to submit it and then all of a sudden find out that the slots have been filled for that particular Yokai. Early bird gets the worm?
Yes, the entries may fill up by Oct 31st, so early bird does get the worm. Please check often to make sure what you're working on hasn't already filled. If you're almost done on a "masterful piece of art" though and you see the limit has been reached, drop us a line and we can talk about it.

But on the flip side, it makes you want to pick your subjects very carefully.
CanisPanthera wrote: Oh and in addition, is it ok to post said entries onto sites like deviant art or a personal blog before judging has taken place? Or do you need them not to be for advertising reasons?
As the rules say above, "Artists will retain the right to print and sell their work." So you can post it anywhere you want to, when you want to. However, keep in mind if someone sees what you've already submitted, they may try to out-do you. I personally would wait until the contest is over to make my submissions public.
Chris O'Connell

SeanDonnanArt
Expert Poster

Post by SeanDonnanArt »

Oh yeah that's a good point. Thanks! Can't wait to see all the resulting work.
yuureikun
Experienced Poster

Post by yuureikun »

As far as the artwork goes, should these all be single-character or are multiple character commissions accepted?
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

yuureikun wrote:As far as the artwork goes, should these all be single-character or are multiple character commissions accepted?
Each submission piece should be a single character. If someone were to submit 50 Yōkai in a single picture and we accepted it, well that's 50 entries that have had 1/3 of their allowed submissions to be filled at once. So in terms of fairness, please limit it to one character per submission piece.

However, there's no limit on the number of submissions you can do overall. So long as we haven't reached the maximum for a particular Yōkai.
Chris O'Connell

pinkplaidrobot
Getting the hang of this...

Post by pinkplaidrobot »

Just a quick question. Can I send over multiple e-mail messages?

Like if I'm done with a submission can I send it over while I work on the next one? Or do all submissions have to be sent under one e-mail message?
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

You can send multiple. That's fine.
Chris O'Connell

Aeterna
I'm new!

Post by Aeterna »

Are backgrounds allowed? or should the image only be the Yokai and nothing else?
what-the-spork
Determined Poster

-

Post by what-the-spork »

-
Last edited by what-the-spork on Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shinden
Veteran Poster

Post by Shinden »

I seem to get the impression that the theme here is a bit misinterpreted. The name of the theme is "tales of youkai" but it would me more accurate to call it something more aligned to Japanese/ Shinto mythology and history in general.

That said, I would never have dreamed of seeing Amaterasu and other kami on a list of youkai. It's sort of like saying "the theme is demons, like Lucifer, Beelzebub, Joan of Arc and Jesus of Nazareth."
2012: I, Otaku
2013: off
2014: An Introduction to Kill La Kill
2015: Beyond Honnouji
2016: Japanophile's Guide to Boston, Nippon wo Mamore
2017: All About the Imperial Family
2018: Contrasts of Tezuka
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

I would like a clarification on background as well. It specifies that 3D submissions must have a white backdrop. Do 2D submissions have to have a white background as well, or can the background be anything appropriate?
Shinden wrote:I seem to get the impression that the theme here is a bit misinterpreted. The name of the theme is "tales of youkai" but it would me more accurate to call it something more aligned to Japanese/ Shinto mythology and history in general.

That said, I would never have dreamed of seeing Amaterasu and other kami on a list of youkai. It's sort of like saying "the theme is demons, like Lucifer, Beelzebub, Joan of Arc and Jesus of Nazareth."
Well, if I didn't know better, I would say the list of youkai was cribbed off of a Wikipedia article, given the internal links and all. :shrug:
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

Kogarashi wrote:I would like a clarification on background as well. It specifies that 3D submissions must have a white backdrop. Do 2D submissions have to have a white background as well, or can the background be anything appropriate?
Background for 2D can be anything appropriate. It's just that if someone is sending a photo of their 3D piece, a white background makes it easiest to see, and doesn't distract focus from the piece.
Chris O'Connell

Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

Faceman wrote:
Kogarashi wrote:I would like a clarification on background as well. It specifies that 3D submissions must have a white backdrop. Do 2D submissions have to have a white background as well, or can the background be anything appropriate?
Background for 2D can be anything appropriate. It's just that if someone is sending a photo of their 3D piece, a white background makes it easiest to see, and doesn't distract focus from the piece.
Excellent, thank you. :)
sconepop
AB Alumni

Post by sconepop »

Shinden wrote:I seem to get the impression that the theme here is a bit misinterpreted. The name of the theme is "tales of youkai" but it would me more accurate to call it something more aligned to Japanese/ Shinto mythology and history in general.

Although the theme is Tales of Yōkai, as in most years our implementation is a bit broader than the title would suggest.
Kelley Kullman
Theme Staff 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
nightwalker
Veteran Poster

Post by nightwalker »

I have 2 questions:

1) Can I submit a picture of a craft project, such as a blanket, as an entry?

2) Can you feature more than one yokai in one submission, or does it have to be just one?
Do You LIKE Me?
Or do you think I'm DEVIANT? ;)
nightwalker
Veteran Poster

Post by nightwalker »

nightwalker wrote:I have 2 questions:

2) Can you feature more than one yokai in one submission, or does it have to be just one?
Forget about question 2. Just found the answer. =P Just question 1!
Do You LIKE Me?
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

nightwalker wrote:

Yes, craft submissions are allowed. We just ask that any 3D submission have a white backdrop for the photos, so we're only seeing your submission and not your living room or what not.
Chris O'Connell

nightwalker
Veteran Poster

Post by nightwalker »

Faceman wrote:
nightwalker wrote:

Yes, craft submissions are allowed. We just ask that any 3D submission have a white backdrop for the photos, so we're only seeing your submission and not your living room or what not.
Well, I feel silly. So THAT's what you meant by "3D submissions. Thanx!!!!!
Do You LIKE Me?
egyptianruin
Veteran Poster

Post by egyptianruin »

I have a question. It says you must be preregistered at the time the prize is awarded but I register when I get an AA table (if I get one) and registration is non-refundable. When the winner be chosen? Will it be after AA registration opens? I hate pre-registering this far in advance because if I don't get space in AA I cannot go.
Selling kawaii, kitsch and often geeky items.

cutenkitschy.com
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

egyptianruin wrote:I have a question. It says you must be preregistered at the time the prize is awarded but I register when I get an AA table (if I get one) and registration is non-refundable. When the winner be chosen? Will it be after AA registration opens? I hate pre-registering this far in advance because if I don't get space in AA I cannot go.
The contest will be closed before artists are able to complete registration and payment for the Artists' Alley. By what we mean about being pre-registered is, if we pick you as the winner, and you don't already have a registration, we'd just want you to register online before receiving the prize. It can wait until we contact the winner, but it will have to be done before they can officially accept the prize and we mark them down in the AA registry and all.

I would basically submit your entries to the contest, and proceed as you normally would for the AA spaces. When it gets down to it, we're not going to make anyone pay for a registration unnecessarily. We just want to make sure that the winner is actually going to use the AA space.
Chris O'Connell

Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

Faceman wrote:
egyptianruin wrote:I have a question. It says you must be preregistered at the time the prize is awarded but I register when I get an AA table (if I get one) and registration is non-refundable. When the winner be chosen? Will it be after AA registration opens? I hate pre-registering this far in advance because if I don't get space in AA I cannot go.
The contest will be closed before artists are able to complete registration and payment for the Artists' Alley. By what we mean about being pre-registered is, if we pick you as the winner, and you don't already have a registration, we'd just want you to register online before receiving the prize. It can wait until we contact the winner, but it will have to be done before they can officially accept the prize and we mark them down in the AA registry and all.

I would basically submit your entries to the contest, and proceed as you normally would for the AA spaces. When it gets down to it, we're not going to make anyone pay for a registration unnecessarily. We just want to make sure that the winner is actually going to use the AA space.
Makes sense, and that sounds like an excellent way to do that. Besides, since the big prize is an Alley space anyway, once someone is told that they're getting that space, they don't have to wait for the rest of the Alley procedure after all, right? Just pre-register and get the free space you won.
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

Kogarashi wrote:Makes sense, and that sounds like an excellent way to do that. Besides, since the big prize is an Alley space anyway, once someone is told that they're getting that space, they don't have to wait for the rest of the Alley procedure after all, right? Just pre-register and get the free space you won.
Right-o.
Chris O'Connell

SeanDonnanArt
Expert Poster

Post by SeanDonnanArt »

Alright! I submitted my yokai!! I hope to get some more done by the deadline but at least I have one completed!
Tabikat
Committed Poster

Post by Tabikat »

This might not be a super important question but I want to ask it the same. For our submissions, are we allowed to post them online before the end of the contest or do we wait until the end before we can post them to the public? (I.E if I wanted to post my picture on DA or Tumblr am I allowed to do so before the contest ends?)
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

Tabikat wrote:This might not be a super important question but I want to ask it the same. For our submissions, are we allowed to post them online before the end of the contest or do we wait until the end before we can post them to the public? (I.E if I wanted to post my picture on DA or Tumblr am I allowed to do so before the contest ends?)
Faceman answered this one above:
Faceman wrote:
CanisPanthera wrote: Oh and in addition, is it ok to post said entries onto sites like deviant art or a personal blog before judging has taken place? Or do you need them not to be for advertising reasons?
As the rules say above, "Artists will retain the right to print and sell their work." So you can post it anywhere you want to, when you want to. However, keep in mind if someone sees what you've already submitted, they may try to out-do you. I personally would wait until the contest is over to make my submissions public.
okapirose
Determined Poster

Post by okapirose »

I sent my entry in awhile back but I never got any confirmation

Are we to assume that if we sent it it's okay? Or are we supposed to get a confirmation back?
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

okapirose wrote:I sent my entry in awhile back but I never got any confirmation

Are we to assume that if we sent it it's okay? Or are we supposed to get a confirmation back?
I haven't received any confirmation for my submissions either. :shrug:
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

Sorry, but we haven't been sending confirmation emails just due to the volume of submissions. But rest assured, if you send it to the address listed above, it's being received. If no one was receiving it, you'd receive a bounce-back email.
Chris O'Connell

Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

Faceman wrote:Sorry, but we haven't been sending confirmation emails just due to the volume of submissions. But rest assured, if you send it to the address listed above, it's being received. If no one was receiving it, you'd receive a bounce-back email.
Fine by me. It's perfectly understandable, and at least we have that clue that it'd bounce if it wasn't received. :)
hop-is-my-hero
Veteran Poster

Post by hop-is-my-hero »

Just got back from Japan and ready to work on my submissions. I had already sketched it out before I left. I am surprised that only one yokai has been crossed off. Must mean there is quite an array of entries!! Glad the ones I chose haven't been crossed off yet!
"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way bricks don't" ~ Douglas Adams
freezeex
Experienced Poster

Post by freezeex »

I got my character setting of Yuki Onna done before I realize it has been crossed off :/

does that mean the cross outed yokai is no longer available and I should find another yokai to work on?

cuz i think the decision should be made after the due date right?
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

freezeex wrote:I got my character setting of Yuki Onna done before I realize it has been crossed off :/

does that mean the cross outed yokai is no longer available and I should find another yokai to work on?

cuz i think the decision should be made after the due date right?
Send an email to contest@animeboston.com with your name and a copy of how much you have done so far, and we'll talk about it off-forums.
Chris O'Connell

hop-is-my-hero
Veteran Poster

Post by hop-is-my-hero »

Just re-read the entry information. A little confused. I made a 3D item do I need to submit a video file or can I submit a few images that show off it's 3Dness? Also it's white so I photographed it against a black background so that you could actually see it. Would just like to know so that I do the right thing! Thanks!
"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way bricks don't" ~ Douglas Adams
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

hop-is-my-hero wrote:Just re-read the entry information. A little confused. I made a 3D item do I need to submit a video file or can I submit a few images that show off it's 3Dness? Also it's white so I photographed it against a black background so that you could actually see it. Would just like to know so that I do the right thing! Thanks!
Photos are perfectly fine. We just allowed the option of a video file, in case someone thought it'd better convey their 3D work than just photos. And if it's white, a black background is fine.
Chris O'Connell

jianibear

Post by jianibear »

Oh wow... I found out about this contest a bit late, are the entries due by midnight of the 30th, or midnight of the 31st?
I really wanna give this a shot, but............. I'd be pretty bummed if at the last minute of the competition I was just starting.
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

11:59pm of the 31st. Before October 31st is over, essentially.
Chris O'Connell

jianibear

Post by jianibear »

May I do other famous youkai off the list?
Such as mottainai obake and the like?
Aeterna
I'm new!

Post by Aeterna »

Good luck everyone^ ^
When can we expect the results to be announced?
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

Winner announcement might not be for 2-3 weeks. We need to assemble all the entries and review them (and there were a lot by the end of it). We will be contacting the winner before announcing it publicly as well.

I want to thank everyone for submitting to the contest. It's awesome to see so many artists interested :)

Edit: We've also received notice from some artists in the NJ/NY area who are without power and can't scan or properly photo their submissions. So we're also going to wait a bit to give them a chance to send it properly to us.
Chris O'Connell

freezeex
Experienced Poster

Post by freezeex »

I just realize I sent the old file in email :/
am I still allow to fix it?
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

Sure. Just mention in the email you're sending an updated one.
Chris O'Connell

okapirose
Determined Poster

Post by okapirose »

Since there's been a delay due to people submitting their entries late because of Hurricane Sandy, will the winner be notified before or after the general Artist Alley table-acquiring goes live on Nov 17th?
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

We're working to get the judging under way by early next week and notify the winner shortly thereafter. Provided everything goes smoothly, we should have the winner announced before the AA standard spaces open next Saturday.

At this point, all artists that informed us of delays due to the storm have been able to make their proper submissions to us.
Chris O'Connell