Building Gundams with Overnight Security Mk II

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
AliceTanzer
AB Staff

Building Gundams with Overnight Security Mk II

Post by AliceTanzer »

Oh, Oh what's that!?
We're back for another year!?
OH MAN!

So, we may not all be overnight security this year, but darn it, we're back for another year of building toys on sunday morning!

Just like last year, its a bring your own kit and tools, build whatever while we talk about nerdery and gundams!
Yay!
Alice Tanzer

'14 NEAS Board Member
'13 EAC
'12 '13 '14 Security
'07 '08 '09 '10 '11 Security(Overnight)
'06 Security
'04 Artist Alley Co-Manager

"She has a medical degree. In fashion. From France!"
tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Re: Building Gundams with Overnight Security Mk II

Post by tetsujin »

Bitchin'. I thought this was a great time last year and I hope to be able to make it again - maybe on time this year...

I'll bring a few extra kits. Got to share the love...
thiet711
Getting the hang of this...

Post by thiet711 »

So I've never gone to this panel what would you suggest bringing?
AliceTanzer
AB Staff

Post by AliceTanzer »

You should bring a gundam kit and some tools to work with :)
Alice Tanzer

'14 NEAS Board Member
'13 EAC
'12 '13 '14 Security
'06 Security

Nicole
AB Alumni

Post by Nicole »

AliceTanzer wrote:You should bring a gundam kit and some tools to work with :)
And if you don't bring a Gundam kit with you to the convention, there should be some available for purchase in the dealers' room: http://www.animeboston.com/dealers/exhibits/
Nicole Peterson
Publications Manager/Graphic Designer
Anime Boston 2010-2016
AliceTanzer
AB Staff

Post by AliceTanzer »

Nicole wrote:
AliceTanzer wrote:You should bring a gundam kit and some tools to work with :)
And if you don't bring a Gundam kit with you to the convention, there should be some available for purchase in the dealers' room: http://www.animeboston.com/dealers/exhibits/
That's where we're all probably getting ours! :)
Alice Tanzer

'14 NEAS Board Member
'13 EAC
'12 '13 '14 Security
'06 Security

Felixman
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Felixman »

I meant to do this LAST year and forgot to. I will try harder to make it this time! Since I plan to buy some HG kits at the con, I should have something to build.

I can't be the only person after Delta Gundam or Zeydra, after all. :P
tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Post by tetsujin »

I didn't want to seem ungrateful when I was at the panel 'cause I'd forgotten my own nippers and was kind of stuck - but those nippers I got on loan from one of the panelists - the cuticle trimmers from the cosmetics section - I really can't recommend them. I was constantly struggling with 'em to get a decent cut...

I ran the Mecha Modeling Workshop at AB from 2004-2006 or 2007, so I have bought a lot of nippers, and spent a fair bit of time trying to find good, cheap nippers - and mostly they don't seem to exist. Cheap nippers tend to crush the plastic instead of making a clean cut - so it's much better to get at least a semi-decent set. If you spend $25-$40 on a HG kit (let alone $50-$120 for a MG at current prices) it's worth dropping $20 on a set of nippers... Best option is to buy a set made especially for the hobby - from micromark.com or another hobby site. And never ever use them for anything but cutting plastic, or you'll mess up the cutting edges. For the workshop, I was after something cheaper - buying 20-25 sets at $20 each didn't appeal to me too much. :) So I bought lots of cheap (and some not-so-cheap) wire cutters - and wound up with a lot of cheap junk and a fair number of decent tools. Unfortunately I don't know a good way to identify good cutters other than to buy a set and try 'em out. There are things to look for - make sure the edges are sharp rather than flat, and blades with a shallow angle are generally better than ones with a deep angle (it gives you more room to get the cutters where they need to go, and it also means the cutters won't push the part around as much as you're cutting.)

The nippers I bought for the workshop - I think I got them online, maybe about $7 per set. They work decently. I think Radio Shack carries some cutters that are decent.

The nippers I use most frequently are a set of these. They are expensive, but so worth it.

After Otakon last year I spent some time in DC and wanted to build the kits I'd gotten at the con (in part to save space when traveling) - and got a set of wire cutters from the craft store - assembled my RG Zaku and MG Gundam Mk.II - it was misery. So much work trying to get a good cut with those terrible cutters...

The thing is, a lot of these cutters are made for cutting soft wire - copper, etc. For that, you don't need particularly good cutters. Dull edges can crush the wire, and will last longer than sharp edges. But for injection kits, a sharp edge will give you a clean cut - and since you're cutting plastics the metal blade should hold up quite well...
tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Post by tetsujin »

Is this gonna be back again in 2013? I'm always down for anything Gundam and/or model-making related, and I've enjoyed the simple, fun "show up and build stuff" format of this event...

I'm planning to bring some kits to share again this year, maybe some tools as well. Maybe this time I'll actually get to the con on time for the event... :\

(EDIT): Actually, looks like I won't be able to make it this year. Maybe next time. Have fun, everybody!
Last edited by tetsujin on Tue May 14, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
off_kilter
Experienced Poster

Post by off_kilter »

tetsujin wrote:Is this gonna be back again in 2013? I'm always down for anything Gundam and/or model-making related, and I've enjoyed the simple, fun "show up and build stuff" format of this event...

I'm planning to bring some kits to share again this year, maybe some tools as well. Maybe this time I'll actually get to the con on time for the event... :\
Between you and me we really made that panel last year. I'm bringing my santa cap and bag full of gundam goodness again this year too! I might bring my original edition Space Battleship Andromeda kit(of Yamato/Starblazers fame) to show off!
tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Post by tetsujin »

I guess it's on again this year! That's cool. I wish I could be there, but this year it just wasn't in the cards for me. Have fun everybody!
tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Post by tetsujin »

I got a big ol' box of Gundam kits to give away at this panel this year, for anybody who doesn't have one or forgot to bring one or just plain wants one. It's fun!

I'll have some of my completed work in the art show again, too, so please check it out. I do pretty good work.