AB2012 Panel & Workshop Application open

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
Faceman
AB Executive

AB2012 Panel & Workshop Application open

Post by Faceman »

Interested in hosting a panel, workshop, or other event at Anime Boston 2012? Then please fill out our Panel Submission form.

Any questions regarding running a Panel can be posted on our Panel and Workshop forum or directly sent to the Panel Programming Manager.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
Nigoki
AB Staff

Re: AB2012 Panel & Workshop Application open

Post by Nigoki »

What is the deadline for submitting a panel request?
Doug Wilder
Anime Boston Guest Programming Coordinator
Working hard for AB since 2003!
Gale
Veteran Poster

Post by Gale »

I also sent this via the contact form, but last month when I sent an email it went unanswered so I'm kind of wary of whether the contact form works and/or plays nice with my browser...so I'm gunna ask here too:

What is your policy on badge reimbursements for running panels? How many panels and/or panel hours must one run? Also, should there be multiple people running a panel is there a limit to how many get credit toward reimbursement or is it just the panel organizer?
mistr3ssquickly
I'm new!

Post by mistr3ssquickly »

I, too, would like to know the policy on complementary badges for panelists. Is there a minimum number of hours required for a comp. badge? Do panels co-hosted by more than one person count towards a comp. badge?
I want to dive lost mind! I want to dive lost mind! I want feeling, I want feeling - itsumo~
I want to dive lost mind! I want to dive lost mind! Why, why, why, why - I want to dive
Feeling over!
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

First of all, I'd like to apologize for any lack of responsiveness on my part. I've had a personally rough past couple of months -- crazy schedule at work, multiple power and internet outages (something I'm sure some of you have experienced as well), and various health issues within my family. I'm only just now starting to get caught up with all the crap I've been swamped with.

Anyway, the rule of thumb is that if you are listed as the panel organizer for at least one panel, you will be compensated via registration reimbursement check mailed to you. We've been having some issues sending them out for this past con, but I'm trying to work it out (unfortunately, I don't have the authority to send out checks on behalf of the con, so I need to work with those who do in order to get the issues resolved).

The panel request deadline will be January 14th, 2012, though as usual if you're close to that date I can try to squeeze you in even if you are a bit late. I have a deadline a couple of weeks after that date to get my initial panel selections to the program guide staff, so there is some slack, but I do need that time to actually sift through all the applications to pick the cream of the crop for the con.
"Dragonmaster" Lou Arruda
Panels Programming Coordinator 2008-2014
Programming Operations Staff 2015-2019
Autographs Staff 2022-

Doth thou desire the power?
My fist is the divine breath! Blossom, o fallen seed, and draw upon thy hidden powers!!
Grant unto thee the power of the glorious 'Mother of Destruction'!
mistr3ssquickly
I'm new!

Post by mistr3ssquickly »

First of all, you've got all my sympathy on the family issues and power outages. What a crazy autumn this has been! Thank you for the reply on the compensation. Will we know before pre-reg ends if our panels have been accepted? Funds are tight, so if we're not comp'd badges, I don't know if we'll be able to attend, and would like to know how to proceed.
I want to dive lost mind! I want to dive lost mind! I want feeling, I want feeling - itsumo~
I want to dive lost mind! I want to dive lost mind! Why, why, why, why - I want to dive
Feeling over!
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

mistr3ssquickly wrote:First of all, you've got all my sympathy on the family issues and power outages. What a crazy autumn this has been! Thank you for the reply on the compensation. Will we know before pre-reg ends if our panels have been accepted? Funds are tight, so if we're not comp'd badges, I don't know if we'll be able to attend, and would like to know how to proceed.
Unless things have changed, the badges aren't comped before hand. These checks that are being talked about are from panels people ran in 2011. Don't expect to be reimbursed for 2012 until some time in fall 2012.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
mistr3ssquickly wrote:First of all, you've got all my sympathy on the family issues and power outages. What a crazy autumn this has been! Thank you for the reply on the compensation. Will we know before pre-reg ends if our panels have been accepted? Funds are tight, so if we're not comp'd badges, I don't know if we'll be able to attend, and would like to know how to proceed.
Unless things have changed, the badges aren't comped before hand. These checks that are being talked about are from panels people ran in 2011. Don't expect to be reimbursed for 2012 until some time in fall 2012.
Exactly what Bashar said. In fact, in general, we won't even accept your application unless you've already pre-registered. Admittedly, I sometimes miss that checkbox as I review the applications, but it's a rule of thumb we have to minimize the chance of panel no-shows and to make sure that you are serious about showing up and running a panel.
Autographs Staff 2022-

My fist is the divine breath! Blossom, o fallen seed, and draw upon thy hidden powers!!
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Speaking of pre-registrations: I submitted an application for a Panel for Ab2012 but I haven't preregistered yet. I will preregister the day after Thanksgiving, though.

Providing I preregister before the deadline listed, will my application be considered valid or should I have submitted my application after preregistering? I'm asking because the preregistation window is much larger than the Panel Signup Window.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
TheNerdyFeminist
Veteran Poster

Post by TheNerdyFeminist »

I too have submitted a panel request even though I don't plan on registering until probably after Christmas when I have a little extra money. I definitely plan on registering though, and I am extremely serious about running a gender and nerd culture panel. I've been planning and outlining it for months, I swear. should I send another request form after I register that says I've registered?
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

You can apply now if you haven't pre-registered. That's cool. I know for various reasons people can't always pre-register at the time of application and I'm willing to work with that. As long as you're pre-registered by the deadline, that's fine.

What I usually do every year is send out an email to everyone who applied to a panel right around the deadline reminding them to pre-register and to send me their registration ID as proof of registration, so I can mark you off as "pre-registered" in my records. If you want to send me the registration ID before then, that's fine too.

Please do not re-apply once you pre-register. That will just gum up my records and make things more annoying for me.
Autographs Staff 2022-

cachalot
Expert Poster

Post by cachalot »

Phew, okay. I just submitted a panel request but I haven't preregistered because I am also waiting to hear back from the Artist Alley and the AA prefers that you register at the same time that you pay for a table in the AA. I have attended AB every year since 2008 and was a panelist in 2010; I'm definitely not going to flake out :)
Gale
Veteran Poster

Post by Gale »

I'm submitting a panel on general safety tips for cosplayers. One of my topics is cosmetic lens safety. From a friend's experience I know some cons are wary of panelists giving info on cosmetic lenses because they are medical devices. I will provide a works cited page and most of my info is coming from registered health care professionals. Is this adequate? If not, a friend of mine who IS a doctor and has treated people for contact lens misuse related injury/infection is willing to sit on my panel. Do I need to add her as a panel associate or am I OK to proceed on my own?

EDIT 11/22/11: I went ahead and submitted with my doctor friend as a maybe associate so that I could stop sitting on my application and just get it submitted.

I am very passionate about this issue because I know there is a lot of misinformation out there about cosmetic lenses and I want people to know how to use them safely so they will not get potentially devastating infections. I want to work with Anime Boston to be able to get this information out there as a part of my panel.
turntechGodtier
Expert Poster

Post by turntechGodtier »

Hi! I just wanted to make sure my panel submission got to you guys, since I submitted it the first day or so you had them open, and I haven't heard anything back about it. It was supposed to be a group thing, Ask the Homestuck Kids, and I'm just double-checking everything went through.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to pre-register yet for Anime Boston, since I'm still getting settled in here in New England (someone moved halfway across the country...), but our whole group will for certain be there, and we will be doing so soon. Thanks in advance, guys!
Anime Boston 2013
Friday: Sirius Black (Harry Potter - 75%), Fancystuck Aradiabot (Homestuck - 60%)
Saturday: Jack Frost (Rise of the Guardians - 100%), Sirius Black
Sunday: Casual something or other
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

turntechGodtier wrote:Hi! I just wanted to make sure my panel submission got to you guys, since I submitted it the first day or so you had them open, and I haven't heard anything back about it. It was supposed to be a group thing, Ask the Homestuck Kids, and I'm just double-checking everything went through.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to pre-register yet for Anime Boston, since I'm still getting settled in here in New England (someone moved halfway across the country...), but our whole group will for certain be there, and we will be doing so soon. Thanks in advance, guys!
You should've gotten an automated email response with a copy of your submission. Normally you won't hear any other response until decisions are made about panel acceptance, however. Anyway, just in case you didn't get the email response, let me check my records...

Ah, here it is. I did receive the application. However, regrettably, this panel will not be accepted as it is not on-topic for the con. Nothing against Homestuck (I'm not into it myself, but I have several good friends who are), but we are an anime/Japanese culture convention and therefore I reject things that are not on topic. This is not a statement on the merit of those things -- just the nature of our purpose as a con.
Autographs Staff 2022-

Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

On that note:

Do those whose submissions are turned down sent a letter ahead of time? Knowing would be helpful as if one panel idea doesn't work, I could submit another before the deadline.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

Aurabolt wrote:On that note:

Do those whose submissions are turned down sent a letter ahead of time? Knowing would be helpful as if one panel idea doesn't work, I could submit another before the deadline.
All panels are reviewed after the deadline when senior programming staff goes over them. If you have a question as to whether your panel has a chance of being approved or not, feel free to post a thread asking about it on the forums.
Autographs Staff 2022-

Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

...I just meant in general. If it's after the deadline fine but would those whose panel submissions are rejected (or turned down to say it a little nicer) get an e-mail to let them know? That way, let's say my panel submission about Clannad is turned down but I didn't know about it until the schedule goes public. Not to say this will actually happen BUT I just want to know if those whose ideas were not chosen will be notified ahead of time so they don't Q.Q, etc.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

Aurabolt wrote:...I just meant in general. If it's after the deadline fine but would those whose panel submissions are rejected (or turned down to say it a little nicer) get an e-mail to let them know? That way, let's say my panel submission about Clannad is turned down but I didn't know about it until the schedule goes public. Not to say this will actually happen BUT I just want to know if those whose ideas were not chosen will be notified ahead of time so they don't Q.Q, etc.
Ah, okay. Basically, here's the process:

A couple of weeks after the deadline, a batch of emails will go out telling people if they've been accepted or waitlisted. Because of how late I often find out about guest and industry panel scheduling, I oven "overbook" guest and industry panels at first on the schedule and waitlist most of the fan panels. As the guest/industry panel schedule is nailed down more, then I'll move people from the waitlist to the accepted list. Either way, you should know well before the con (no less than a week or two prior to the con, but I try to make it as far in advance as possible) if you were accepted or not.

I also ask folks if they're willing to do a last minute panel in case someone cancels at the last minute.
Autographs Staff 2022-

Gale
Veteran Poster

Post by Gale »

Any ballpark idea of when the first round of acceptances will be announced?
tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Post by tetsujin »

Yeah, what he said - any idea when you'll be able to let us know if our panels were accepted? It's now three weeks past the submission deadline of Jan 14.

I understand that sometimes these things take time and don't go according to schedule. However I am a bit anxious to find out. I have plans to make and people to coordinate with. So I hope you'll excuse me repeating the question...
Gale
Veteran Poster

Post by Gale »

Word on Facebook is some people have already heard about their panels being accepted, so I'm going to take a guess that first round acceptances has been contacted.
coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

Don't they usually say whether or not your panel is waitlisted though? Cause I got a bunch of those emails last year before I was told that my panel wasn't accepted.
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Post by tetsujin »

coolforever wrote:Don't they usually say whether or not your panel is waitlisted though? Cause I got a bunch of those emails last year before I was told that my panel wasn't accepted.
I guess they're not doing that this time around. That kind of confused me earlier - I heard nothing and assumed that things weren't moving forward according to schedule.

I have been in touch with the panels coordinator about my submission. From what I understand it's as Gale said - some acceptances have been sent out but the schedule's not finalized yet, so there's apparently still a chance for waitlisted folks to get scheduled.

Just got to wait and hope for the best, I guess.
Gale
Veteran Poster

Post by Gale »

I was under the impression that they just scheduled panels in a few rounds, which means we aren't even to the point of waitlisting yet. My friend on staff (not panels department, tho) says they usually accept a few, make sure Guest Relations gets all their panels in for the Guests of Honor, and then schedules the rest, and I would guess whoever is left over but still deemed worthy to run a panel gets waitlisted. He also said (as would make sense) those who have run panels at AB before and done well tend to get priority.

That said, I am not on staff and do not personally know anyone who works in the panels department so a lot of all that is mostly speculation.
tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Post by tetsujin »

Gale wrote:I was under the impression that they just scheduled panels in a few rounds, which means we aren't even to the point of waitlisting yet.
Yeah, I don't really know all the details. Important points for me are that I'm not scheduled yet but I'm not out of the game yet, either. I really don't know the appropriate level of optimism at this point.
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

Okay, the first round of panel selection should be done. Sorry, I've been a bit under the weather for the past couple of weeks, so I haven't been able to get things together as rapidly as I wanted to. However, by now, you should know if your panel has been accepted, waitlisted, or denied due to being off-topic (sorry Harry Potter, Homestuck, etc., fans... Nothing against them -- but we really want to focus on Japanese stuff at Anime Boston as our name indicates).

Right now, we're in the waiting game for guest panels to be locked down... and there probably will be much gnashing of teeth (mostly on my part) as I shift things around to make the guests happy and figure out how to balance everything out.

One thing to keep in mind this year is that the criteria for acceptance is somewhat higher this year than last year. This is because we're instituting 30-minute gaps between most panels (with the exceptions being the same person/group doing panels back-to-back in the same room). This is two solve two problems: first, people not having enough time to set-up/tear down their panel and second to make it easier for folks waiting in line outside to get in without missing or delaying the start of the panel. While we do have a couple more panel rooms this year than in prior years, the overall effect will be fewer total panels. This is a bit of an experiment for this year, but we'll see how it goes and how well everyone attending panels likes it.
Autographs Staff 2022-

Gale
Veteran Poster

Post by Gale »

Dragonmaster Lou wrote:we're instituting 30-minute gaps between most panels (with the exceptions being the same person/group doing panels back-to-back in the same room).
I am not sure if I mentioned on my application that I am willing to run my panels back-to-back. Also while I did list my time preferences, I did not think to specify that I have one non-negotiable conflict in my participating in the masquerade (though they're cosplay themed panels, so I doubt you'd even want to schedule them opposite the masq...). Are either of these things I should email about?

Thanks for updating us. Good luck with the guests--I know from doing GR at another con how difficult it can be to impress upon some guests how important it is to finalize their panel info on time. Whatever the finalized schedule, I'm sure everything will be great. Keep up the great work! ;)
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

Hmm, I'll keep that in mind (an email to panels@animeboston.com on your part won't hurt either to remind me) as I fill out the rest of the schedule. Right now, I'm kind of wrestling with guest panels that were submitted directly to me (instead of through the guests department) without saying they were guest panels... ^^;
Autographs Staff 2022-

Gale
Veteran Poster

Post by Gale »

Dragonmaster Lou wrote:Hmm, I'll keep that in mind (an email to panels@animeboston.com on your part won't hurt either to remind me) as I fill out the rest of the schedule. Right now, I'm kind of wrestling with guest panels that were submitted directly to me (instead of through the guests department) without saying they were guest panels... ^^;
Yikes. Good luck with that! I'll shoot off an email to you. Thanks a bunch!
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Dragonmaster Lou wrote:\Right now, I'm kind of wrestling with guest panels that were submitted directly to me (instead of through the guests department) without saying they were guest panels... ^^;
Well damn them for not following protocol :( :( :(

I understand they're special guests but it would be kinda funny if you sent them a firm "DO IT BY THE BOOK AND THEN WE'LL TALK." Email. The reaction would be worth it xD
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

Aurabolt wrote:
Dragonmaster Lou wrote:\Right now, I'm kind of wrestling with guest panels that were submitted directly to me (instead of through the guests department) without saying they were guest panels... ^^;
Well damn them for not following protocol :( :( :(

I understand they're special guests but it would be kinda funny if you sent them a firm "DO IT BY THE BOOK AND THEN WE'LL TALK." Email. The reaction would be worth it xD
It wasn't quite like that... :) They guests did go by the book, but coordination between guest relations and panels sometimes can get a little confused at times... Sometimes I book the guest panels, sometimes guest relations books them, and sometimes guest relations says "give me a slot, any slot, for these guests." Usually it's done via email, but sometimes they are submitted via the same form that you folks use.

In this case, I think it was a case of new staffers sending it to me via the form but they didn't indicate it was an official guest panel on the form... Anyway, no biggie, that was cleared up quickly enough.
Autographs Staff 2022-

tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Post by tetsujin »

Where do things stand with the wait list at this point? Have people been moved off it already, or do you know when that is likely to happen?

I understand some of this is just "it happens when it happens" kind of thing - like panel slots open up when people cancel or whatever. But if you have some ballpark idea that would be helpful. When I was waitlisted I chose not to give up hope immediately - but if my event is happening, I have some work to do... And if it's not then I've got to let people know.
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

tetsujin wrote:Where do things stand with the wait list at this point? Have people been moved off it already, or do you know when that is likely to happen?

I understand some of this is just "it happens when it happens" kind of thing - like panel slots open up when people cancel or whatever. But if you have some ballpark idea that would be helpful. When I was waitlisted I chose not to give up hope immediately - but if my event is happening, I have some work to do... And if it's not then I've got to let people know.
It's all down to guest panels. I really wish I could say more, but I can't as I just don't know. We don't even have the guest list finalized as there's still a lot of wheeling and dealing going on (convincing folks to come out here, booking flights and hotel, etc.) and I don't even know the full extent of it as I don't work in the guest relations department). Industry looks to be pretty much finalized, at least, though.
Autographs Staff 2022-

Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

Okay, I just heard from the guest relations department that the guest list has been finalized (wait to hear from them for the details) and that guest panel schedules should be nailed down in the next 2-3 weeks at the latest (maybe even this week if we're real lucky and things go very smoothly). So basically, that gives you a time to know when your panel will be moved from the waitlist and accepted.

Once again, I'm going to remind you that we'll probably have less panels accepted overall this year because we're going to have 30 minute gaps between the vast majority of the panels to allow for equipment set-up/tear-down as well as line wrangling. There are a couple exceptions -- some panels run by the same people that are scheduled back-to-back may not have gaps, for example, and it's possible that if I underestimated the number of panel slots reserved for guests I may squeeze a few panels closer together and get rid of the 30 minute gaps so that I don't cancel a fan panel that I've already scheduled.

Any other questions, feel free to ask here.
Autographs Staff 2022-

Gale
Veteran Poster

Post by Gale »

I'm interested to see how the 30 minute gap policy works. I have mixed feelings about it, and after integrating it this year (depending on how things go) I hope the policy can be refined a bit more, for example maybe working with panelists/potential panelists to gauge interest or need for setup/breakdown to lessen the gap time between panels. Obviously any changes will depend on how using gap time works out, of course, but I look forward to giving suggestions after the fact to try to improve the system even more.

In an ideal world, panelists would police themselves and plan content that only lasts part of the allocated slot, therefore eliminating much need for planned gap time, but we all know many fan panelists just won't be that organized or willing to give up time of their own accord. Any time you work with untrained volunteers these are the things one has to anticipate tho.
tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Post by tetsujin »

Personally I feel like the 30 minute thing may be overkill. Some panels need that kind of set up/break down time but I think most don't... It seems to me that as long as there's a set time within a panel block for set-up, and as long as panelists know about it, things work out OK.

But, who knows? Maybe it'll work out great. Time will tell.

Thanks for the info about where things stand with regard to the wait list. I know you can't schedule everybody. If I can't do my contest I'll still have a blast "building with overnight security" on Sunday.
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

Well, we may tweak the gap thing as well after this year. Setup/teardown is not the only reason why I had it this year. Last year we had lots of people waiting outside panel rooms to get in and, as a result, panels often started late because they were waiting for people to come into the room. The gap also helps deal with the line issues.
Autographs Staff 2022-

Gale
Veteran Poster

Post by Gale »

Dragonmaster Lou wrote:Well, we may tweak the gap thing as well after this year. Setup/teardown is not the only reason why I had it this year. Last year we had lots of people waiting outside panel rooms to get in and, as a result, panels often started late because they were waiting for people to come into the room. The gap also helps deal with the line issues.
Totally, I thought that was the case as well. In the past has there been a large percentage of panels with such a large audience waiting at the door? My thought is if it it's half or less, in the future it might be worth it to try to guess (based on trending topics or how certain subjects were attended in past years) if any might not have so long a line. Obviously you want panels that are well attended, but for smaller rooms the gap time may be not as necessary since smaller space means fewer people and therefore quicker changeover.

One other thing, would you be willing to schedule things with a 15 minute gap time for most panels (big guest panels or topics known to have LONG lines could stay 30)? I know it makes for a less "even" schedule, but it could be a good compromise to providing both a gap time as well as allocate more space in the schedule for panels.

Sorry to be proposing suggestions now tho. Totally the wrong time. I'll try to hold my tongue from here on until after the con when you don't have your hands full prepping for this year's event.
coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

I'm guessing the final notice of accepted/declined panels will be sent out soon? Not trying to sound impatient but with only 3 weeks before the convention, I'm just curious when we'll all know about the finalized schedule of the convention.
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

There's no such thing as a finalized schedule. ;) Historically, the first one that goes out to everyone, though, drops about 3-5 days out, but in more recent years that time frame has balooned to around 2 weeks. I'd expect the former so you can be surprised and excited if it's closer to the latter.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

I was swamped with work for my real job over the past week or so, so I haven't been able to do much with panel stuff.

I'm hoping to get stuff finalized within the next few days, depending on how negotiations with the guests over their panel slots go. Unfortunately, I don't work in the guest relations department (I just try to make them as happy as possible by scheduling stuff around what they need), so I'm not 100% sure how that's going over there at the moment.

Please don't be surprised if there are many reschedules and shifts in the scheduling. Because of instituting gaps between panels this year for setup/teardown and line management, the first draft schedule is rougher than usual because I plan to try to minimize the number of times when there are no panels going on in any room -- a trickier job than just trying to pack them in as tightly as possible.
Autographs Staff 2022-

tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Post by tetsujin »

Thanks for the update. I'm still ready to go if you manage to fit us in. Either way, I appreciate knowing where things are at, it helps me plan things on my end...
tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Post by tetsujin »

Time to give it up I guess. Thanks anyway. :)
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

tetsujin wrote:Time to give it up I guess. Thanks anyway. :)
Don't give up quite yet. The guest panel schedule will be more or less finalized tonight (there are only one or two guest panels I need to make room for on the schedule). Please give me until this weekend to get everything set, okay?
Autographs Staff 2022-

Gale
Veteran Poster

Post by Gale »

Question, for the time slots we requested are those considered preferences or set in stone? If it helps my chances, I'm willing to amend my two panels to 60 minutes instead of 90.
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

Gale wrote:Question, for the time slots we requested are those considered preferences or set in stone? If it helps my chances, I'm willing to amend my two panels to 60 minutes instead of 90.
Nope, they aren't set in stone. Amending them is indeed allowed -- just email panels@animeboston.com with the names of your panels and the changes you want and it'll be good.

It's going to be a crazy next couple of days for me as I squeeze and shift all the panels into the schedule... Even those who were accepted have a good chance of getting notified of schedule changes.
Autographs Staff 2022-

tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Post by tetsujin »

Dragonmaster Lou wrote:
tetsujin wrote:Time to give it up I guess. Thanks anyway. :)
Don't give up quite yet. The guest panel schedule will be more or less finalized tonight (there are only one or two guest panels I need to make room for on the schedule). Please give me until this weekend to get everything set, okay?
Thanks, but for my event to work, attendees have to prepare for it weeks or even months in advance. I've kept the whole thing in the air for a few months - I really don't feel I can do so any longer.

Thanks for trying to work us in. Maybe I'll give this thing another try next year.
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

Small update. As I mentioned earlier, the guest panel schedule is now finished (though guest relations will handle announcing/publicizing/etc. them). Therefore, I'll spend some time tonight and tomorrow night (all hail our god Caffeine) rounding out the fan panel schedule. Also, after discussing things with some senior programming staff, we're going to reduce the gap between panels to 15 minutes instead of 30 minutes, unless it's a particularly large panel or we require something like ID checks or whatnot. This should increase the total number of panels scheduled.
Autographs Staff 2022-

Gale
Veteran Poster

Post by Gale »

Dragonmaster Lou wrote:Small update. As I mentioned earlier, the guest panel schedule is now finished (though guest relations will handle announcing/publicizing/etc. them). Therefore, I'll spend some time tonight and tomorrow night (all hail our god Caffeine) rounding out the fan panel schedule. Also, after discussing things with some senior programming staff, we're going to reduce the gap between panels to 15 minutes instead of 30 minutes, unless it's a particularly large panel or we require something like ID checks or whatnot. This should increase the total number of panels scheduled.
That sounds like a fantastic compromise. Gives time to turn over the room, but also doesn't eat up as much time.