Manageing time at the convention?

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
Burnhym1
Determined Poster

Post by Burnhym1 »

I've gone to anime boston for many years now. But, I've have never had a table in the artist alley before.
I was going to buy a table last year but, due to money issues and some other issues going on, i decided against getting a table. This year im looking forward to hopefully getting one but, my only thing im having problems with is, "how do you manage time in the artist alley with also finding time to enjoy the entire convention.?"
I dont mind being at my table for the majority of time but, id like to look around and maybe buy some things and enjoy the whole idea of the convention. I know people normally bring assistants but i will only have my fiance as my helper, who i was planning on bringing to walking around with. So nobody would be watching over are table. how do you think we could manage this accordingly, any ideas?
kmcwilliams94
Determined Poster

Post by kmcwilliams94 »

do you have any friends that could watch your table for a little while? or get it on sunday.
AB 2015
Mami Tomoe (Friday),
Armin (Saturday)
Sailor Moon (Sunday)
Burnhym1
Determined Poster

Post by Burnhym1 »

not really. and do u mean walk around sunday? w/e i might just have to bring an extra person or sumthin.
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

Here are some tips for managing your table at the con:

1. Bring a friend to watch things for you when you want to run out to something. Obviously this wouldn't be your fiance since you want to wander with him.

2. Make friends with your neighbors, and ask them to keep an eye on things for you when you have to duck out. They may not be able to sell things in your stead, as they would be managing their own space, but I've kept an eye on my neighbor's wares before to make sure no one wandered off with them. In this instance, put up a sign saying, "Burnhym1 has stepped away for a while and will be back at 1:00. In the meantime, take a business card!" or something similar.

3. Pack up your goods if you're going to be away for an extended period of time, such as Masquerade or the ball or something. I've had neighbors before who wrapped things up in time to head off to Masquerade, with no plans on returning for the rest of the evening. I wouldn't recommend doing this for a huge chunk of the convention overall, but it can help in the early morning and late evening at least, which is when some of the longer events take place.

4. Rent out part of your space to someone who didn't get their own space, on the condition that they act as your assistant when you want to wander. I haven't done this myself as I bring an assistant/partner and swap with her, but it might work for you depending on how things go.

What I do is share my usual space with a friend of mine who sells her own stuff. She usually comes as my assistant, and the two of us spend most of the con at our space. Right at the start, we use the con guide to plan out what we each want to do, dovetailing it so we're not both absent at the same time. Then one of us runs the table while the other goes to do stuff. I personally spend most of the con at the table itself, rather than attending events and panels, but I like to get out to browse the rest of the Alley and the Dealer's Room. My assistant is usually the one who runs for lunch, and she's gone to panels and the like before while I've manned the whole space myself. It's a pretty good system for the two of us.
Burnhym1
Determined Poster

Post by Burnhym1 »

ty so much this was very helpful!
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

thats all very good advice kogarashi :D
i wonder if i should put something like this in the beginners guide - what do you think?
Nikki O'Shea Bean
http://www.dragonpressgraphics.com
http://www.bardscomic.com

Artists Alley Manager 2008-2017
Artists Alley Co-Manager 2005-07
Attendee 2004
Artists Alley Accidental Volunteer 2003
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

You're welcome, Burnhym1!

Thanks, Nikki. :) Go ahead and add it to the beginner's guide if you think it'll help. I've been thinking recently of attempting a comic page for you to add. I just need to find a topic. ;) Maybe I'll do this topic.
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

i think that would be a GREAT idea! let me know when you finish it :D
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
kmcwilliams94
Determined Poster

Post by kmcwilliams94 »

they were obviously more useful than me, but i was saying get the table sunday so that you would have saw everything on friday and saturday.
AB 2015
Mami Tomoe (Friday),
Armin (Saturday)
Sailor Moon (Sunday)
BlackSunRising
AB Alumni

Post by BlackSunRising »

[quote=Taco King]they were obviously more useful than me, but i was saying get the table sunday so that you would have saw everything on friday and saturday.[/quote]

The way AA tables work is that when you register for a table, you get it for the entire weekend - the AA doesn't typically sell "one-day" tables unless someone doesn't show up and we have it leftover at the convention.
Sorry for butting in! I just wanted to prevent further confusion.
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

but, they could always find someone who won't be there on sunday and make a deal with them to use that table. or still sign up for their own table and look for people who would want to use it when they weren't....thats allowed and details arein the faq - people who have done so can chime in with how well that has or has not worked out for them in the past too... :D
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

I know I'm one of those people who doesn't attend on Sundays and thus "rents out" my space that day. I don't know how well sales compare on Sundays, but I have yet to hear complaints from those who got the Sunday spaces.
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Post by marikotoeii »

If you have a set up that is very hard to take up and take down then you might want to consider bringing a drop cloth to put over your table and clamp down.

now i def wouldnt leave cash or SUPER expensive things there even under the cloth, but having the drop cloth makes it so your things dont need to be completely packed away if youre going to be gone for an hour or two.

all you need is some large metal clips and a bedsheet.

As far as time management, I always print out the schedule. the main events *generally* dont change.

whats important to undertsand is that if your really wanting to be successful at the artist alley you need to get people to associate YOU with YOUR work, so they need to see you and interact with you when youre at your table.

IMO, these are the most cruxial times to be in the alley:

Friday from opening till the dealers room opens
Noon Saturday until Before the Masquerade
Sunday noon to close for last minute shoppers.

Often times it can be hard to find good helpers, sometimes what I do to incent people to help is I will offer some form of compensation, whether that be a commission on what they sell while they or watching, or you buy their badge or get them lunch or something.

I generally try to be away from my table no more than 2 hours at a time.

If you cant find a helper, talk to your neighboors and get a drop cloth and youll be fine.

hope that helps.

Burnhym1
Determined Poster

Post by Burnhym1 »

this was all very helpful! thanks everyone!
DevilNeverCry
Probably should be on AB staff

Post by DevilNeverCry »

[quote=Kogarashi]
What I do is share my usual space with a friend of mine who sells her own stuff. She usually comes as my assistant, and the two of us spend most of the con at our space. Right at the start, we use the con guide to plan out what we each want to do, dovetailing it so we're not both absent at the same time. Then one of us runs the table while the other goes to do stuff. I personally spend most of the con at the table itself, rather than attending events and panels, but I like to get out to browse the rest of the Alley and the Dealer's Room. My assistant is usually the one who runs for lunch, and she's gone to panels and the like before while I've manned the whole space myself. It's a pretty good system for the two of us.[/quote]
It's good to hear that this is a good way of working things. I usually run a panel or two at AB, but since it's gotten so big recently and most of my friends wander around after everything's closed up, I'd like a chance to sit and relax over some artwork, which is what I plan on doing this year (my first AA!) I'm going to be going in with a friend of mine who's a veteran at Artist Alleys.

I figured this would be the easiest way right off the bat. And it'll give her some time to actually enjoy a con for once XD