Announcing: The Starlight Ball

This forum contains discussion about all news and announcements related to Anime Boston.
Hopallee
AB Staff

Post by Hopallee »

Starlight Ball Information

Need to unwind after an event filled day at Anime Boston? Then why not spend the evening swaying to your anime and video game favorites, dressed to the nines! Come join us on Saturday, April 3rd, time TBD, for a sophisticated evening of glamour at Anime Boston's Starlight Ball.

Feel a little shy on the dance floor? A beginner's ballroom dance class is also planned earlier that day for those of you who would like to learn a few moves, meet potential dance partners, or just brush up on your technique.

Our Charity Ball, unlike its other dance counterparts, is a formal event. The dress code is Black Tie "invited". This means that attendees are encouraged to wear gowns and tuxedos, although semi-formal attire is acceptable. Cosplay is welcome, but must fit in with the formality of the occasion.

The Starlight Charity Ball will be a limited capacity and ticketed event. Anyone who wishes to attend will need to sign up for a ticket before hand. Tickets will cost $3, all proceeds will go to the Central New England chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. The ticket charge is designed to continue Anime Boston's commitment to charity as well as reduce the number of people who reserved tickets “just in case” and then choose not to attend the ball, not necessarily to fund the ball itself. Half of the tickets are available online, and the remainder will be made available at the convention.

Note: All those with tickets need to wear proper attire to the Ball, those with tickets but without formal clothing will be denied admittance.

Getting a Starlight Ball Ticket before the Convention
The pre-sell of tickets before the convention will be available soon.

Purchased tickets will be available for pickup in the afternoon on the Saturday of the Ball outside the Sheraton Grand Ballroom.
You will need to present your Anime Boston badge for verification when picking up your ticket.

Getting a Starlight Ball Ticket at the Convention

An additional block of tickets will be available for sale in the afternoon on the Saturday of the Ball outside the Sheraton Grand Ballroom. Attendees will only be allowed to line up a maximum of 30 minutes before ticketing opens. Each person in line will only be able to request one ticket.

For a more thorough breakdown of what is or isn't appropriate, please check our Dress Code Page and Formal Attire Inspiration Page . If you are ever in doubt about the appropriateness of your planned attire, please do not hesitate to contact us! We are happy to advise you. Anime Boston staff reserve the right to deny entry to the ball to anyone inappropriately attired.

We have a lot more planned for you, so please check back for more updates as we draw closer to the event!

Amy and Hope
Formal Ball Co-chairs
Hope McChesney
Assistant Director of Programming/ Formal Ball Co-Chair
Broken Shinigami
Determined Poster

Post by Broken Shinigami »

[color:blue]Awesome! Hopefully I'll be able to attend this year. When will ticket sales go up? Hopefully I'll remember to go to the dance class.. haven't done Ballroom in ages lol I was wondering about the appropriateness of the outfit I wish to wear.. I was thinking of attending as Austria from Axis Powers Hetalia. Here's a pic of the costume I'm getting.. Austria Costume. I know not to wear Military boots to the event, I have a very nice pair of Mens Dress shoes that I found. Thank you in advance! [/color]
Countdown to Anime Boston 2016
2016 Cosplays:
- Castiel[SPN].
- Portgas D. Ace[OP].
- Ouroboros Kotetsu[T&B].
- Aino Minako; Junior High Uniform[SM].
Hopallee
AB Staff

Post by Hopallee »

Outfit looks great. We won't post the tickets till we can solidify the exact time, so it should be a little while.
Hope McChesney
chaobunny
Committed Poster

Post by chaobunny »

One question- Saturday night? Will that conflict with the masquerade in any way? :o
My YouTube Channel

Cosplays for 2015:
Jinora (Legend of Korra)

AMVs
-Somebody Who Cares (2014 Romance Finalist)
-Heartbeat (2013 Drama Finalist)
-SpiritPunch (2012 Other Finalist)
-If I Could Find You Now (2011 Romance Finalist)
-Until The End (2010 Best Romance)
-Falling From Innocence (2010 Drama Finalist)
-In a World Without Sorrow... (2009 Drama Finalist)
-Broken Wings of Love (2009 Romance Finalist)
Hopallee
AB Staff

Post by Hopallee »

More than likely there will be some overlap, the masquerade is 3 hours, the ball is 4 and the normal dance is 4+ hours, all are slated to happen in the evening and there are only so many hours available. That being said looking at the preliminary schedule it should be something like the first hour or so of the ball overlaps with the last hour or so of the masquerade. What we're aiming for is even if it isn't possible to do both in their entirety it possibly to do most of both. But in the end its up to the programming gods.
Hope McChesney
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Post by Phantom 1 »

That's pretty much always the case, the ball interfering with panels and the what not though I too am curious as to why it's on Saturday this year and not Friday, not that I'm complaining.
Vu
AB Staff

Post by Vu »

Well, our Programming Staff had to move stuff around. Just trust in them and wait in the coming weeks for any news or announcements that may arise! It will make sense in the end. :)
Vu Tran
North American Guest Liaison
Anime Boston 2022

Viva la manatee!

"Gonna have to go find my eyeballs, I rolled them too hard"
- Rebecca Lee, 2019
midnight
Experienced Poster

Post by midnight »

I have a question about ball attire, My friend and i will be going a Suiseiseki(i a very nice velvet dress) and Souseiseki(in an equally nice jumper suit with a top hat) from Rozen maiden that day would that be sad-is-factory to wear to the ball?
Hopallee
AB Staff

Post by Hopallee »

This Outfit is fine as long as you wear tights (they make the shorts more formal). It looks like a button down ruffled shirt with a loose velvet jacket like layer over the top. So it should be fine. As for the dress, this would be fine as well.
Hope McChesney
lawlietcupcakekiss
I'm new!

Post by lawlietcupcakekiss »

well now this is going to be difficult. Masqurade over the ball? idk which one to chose. well i had more fun at the ball last year than i did the masqurade. But the masqurade is so epic!....hmmm serious thinking happening now
danna
Experienced Poster

Post by danna »

So would it be possible to attend the ball a bit late if you stay till the end of the masquerade? Or to attend the ball would I have to leave the masquerade early? I've never done the ball before but I was thinking about attending this year, so I don't really know how it runs.

Would something alone the lines of this be way too informal?
AB07: Road Kamelot [D.Gray-Man]
AB08: Karin [Kamichama Karin]
AB09: Self :c
AB10: Mei Chang [Fullmetal Alchemist]
AB11: Crona [Soul Eater]

AB12: San [Princess Mononoke]
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

You are welcome to arrive late to the ball, as long as you picked up your ticket earlier in the day.

As for the dress, it's hard to tell on the dressform, but as long as it reaches your knees and you pair it with appropriate shoes, it's quite lovely.
Amy Caluori
Formal Dance Coordinator 2010-2018
Press Liaison 2014-2015
Formal Dance Staff 2007-2009
Chiisanahime
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Chiisanahime »

The dress code says that dresses should be "at least knee length". But there are a lot of formal dresses that are mini, such as this: http://www.forever21.com/product.asp?ca ... 609&Page=3

Would I be denied at the door if I wore something like this?
theorangecat
AB Staff

Post by theorangecat »

[quote=Chiisanahime]The dress code says that dresses should be "at least knee length". But there are a lot of formal dresses that are mini, such as this: http://www.forever21.com/product.asp?ca ... 609&Page=3

Would I be denied at the door if I wore something like this? [/quote]

That looks very short from the photo.

Think of it this way - when you turn or do a spin in a skirt or dress when you're dancing, the bottom comes up. If you turned in a dress of that length, it is likely that your undergarments would be exposed. We don't want that to happen. I'm going to say that's too short.
Jaimee K

'12 - '24 - Live Video Production
'11 - Junior Tech Staff
'07 - '10 - Formal Dance Staff
Chiisanahime

Post by Chiisanahime »

If that's the concern, would it make it alright to wear opaque tights? =3
theorangecat
AB Staff

Post by theorangecat »

If it was longer, say, hitting at the knee, it would be okay - and if that's where it hits on you, that's fine - but on the model, it looks to be about mid-thigh, which is not formal.
Jaimee K

'11 - Junior Tech Staff
Chiisanahime

Post by Chiisanahime »

One more question ^^; The info. page for the Starlight Ball makes it seem like there will only be "slow dancing". Is that true?

Because I don't have a dance partner and don't much feel like dancing the night away with a stranger (or standing around awkwardly with all my other single friends) D=
Vu
AB Staff

Post by Vu »

Yep, since this will be a formal ball, there will be slow dancing.

Do not be afraid! There will be a casual, informal lesson earlier that day. You might meet someone new there and possibly have someone to dance with! In addition, there will be tables in the room, so there are indeed places to sit and mingle with friends or anyone else you know.

I hope that helps!
Vu Tran
North American Guest Liaison
Anime Boston 2022

Viva la manatee!

"Gonna have to go find my eyeballs, I rolled them too hard"
- Rebecca Lee, 2019
Hopallee
AB Staff

Post by Hopallee »

And I will add that you shouldn't think of it as slow dancing as in the typical awkward "high school sway". The ball is an event that highlights formal ballroom dances, so waltz, foxtrot, rumba and tango, some of which (foxtrot and tango) can be quite up-beat. Ballroom dancing is a social form of dance, the idea is to mix and mingle with various dance partners, which is made less awkward because instead of just swooning and looking into each others eyes, you are practicing and enjoying a skilled activity together, with turns, corte's and promenades.

We also have dance hosts; people of both genders who know at least the basic steps, with a special corsage who will never turn down at least the first request to dance. These very friendly folks are there specifically for people who are a little shy and don't want to approach total strangers right away.

Hope McChesney
kimnamjoon
Determined Poster

Post by kimnamjoon »

just to be 100% sure before I go getting all excited and inviting my friends to come with me xD

the rules say military uniforms are considered formal wear.

http://www.anicosfun.com/store/images/FMA-COS2.gif

so is this okay? It's the military uniform from Fullmetal Alchemist, which is what my friends and I will mostly be wearing.
midnight
Experienced Poster

Post by midnight »

check the inspiration guide to confirm but i think there is a picture of a similar suit under suggestions:military.
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

The Fullmetal Alchemist Uniforms are appropriate, provided you replace the boots with dress shoes.
Amy Caluori
Press Liaison 2014-2015
LadyHawke
AB Alumni

Post by LadyHawke »

[quote=Edokun]http://www.anicosfun.com/store/images/FMA-COS2.gif

so is this okay? It's the military uniform from Fullmetal Alchemist, which is what my friends and I will mostly be wearing.[/quote]

I never thought that the regular uniforms would be considered "formal" since they are more like BDUs than Dress Blues. (For example, a soldier may wear dress blues to a wedding, but not the fatigues he wears on a daily basis while on duty.) That was my reasoning. However, *I* never asked, so I guess I was wrong! I opted to go with the dress uniform, seen VERY infrequently in the anime/manga.

Anyway, THIS is what I did in 2007 (the only year I went to the ball... yeah, I am wearing heels. You just can't see them.) Please ignore the fact that I look like an idiot here. I take crappy pictures, and the Hughes cosplayer was so full of win that I just HAD to get a photo with him!

This year, I will be a boring old lady and will just be wearing a dress. From my friend's wedding this past fall. It is red and floor-length, and very pretty-- and I need an excuse to wear it again!
~~ Jeni
2012 Guest Relations Division - Green Room Staff

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get Permission" -- RADM Grace Murray Hopper - U.S. Navy
kimnamjoon
Determined Poster

Post by kimnamjoon »

[quote=Miyu chan]The Fullmetal Alchemist Uniforms are appropriate, provided you replace the boots with dress shoes.[/quote]

awesome, thanks. already got shiny black dress shoes for the occasion <3

@lady hawkeye: Well there is the formal outfit, yes, but i'm poor @_@ On top of that my hotel is a 1/2 mile from the con and i'd have to walk back, so i'm keen on being able to wear what i'm already wearing XD

But pretty cosplay, I like =3
kimnamjoon
Determined Poster

Post by kimnamjoon »

I apologize for the double post but it won't let me go back and edit it XD;

My friend is going to be cosplaying Domo Goro to Anime Boston and she was wondering if she put a bow tie on him if that would work? She did it at AAC and they agreed that was about as formal as Domo could get.
Hopallee
AB Staff

Post by Hopallee »

Unfortunately a bow-tie alone does not a formal outfit make. The overall outfit would have to follow the dress code, so slacks and a suits jacket (or formal wear from another country like japan or china) and nothing that blocks or field of vision, so not a full head piece.

And I disagree that that' the most formal Domo could get, how about a brown suit with gloves and a domo inspired hat?
Hope McChesney
Isingaforyou
Expert Poster

Post by Isingaforyou »

This might have been stated before and I've read the rules, but can you explain why boots aren't allowed in the dance? If it's a part of a military uniform then it makes sense to wear boots.

Maybe it's just me but saying "No boots" to a military uniform is pretty much like saying a military uniform isn't formal enough. : /
Hopallee
AB Staff

Post by Hopallee »

Has that question been answered before? Only several dozen times, every year for the past 4 years. *twitch*

But I digress. :-) I reposted the Formal Ball FAQ over in Other programming as it had dropped past the first page.
But here is the pertinent quote:

“6. I have a very nice pair of dress boots, can I wear them?

In the vast majority of cases boots are informal footwear, and while we do recognize that there are some types of dress boots, we remind you that this is a dancing event, and boots are not kind to dancers' feet or dance tile. Thus no boots are allowed at the ball.”

This is a dancing event first, costume event second, and boots are not appropriate dance footwear for a range of reasons.
Hope McChesney
DeathBruzer
Veteran Poster

Post by DeathBruzer »

Are ties required?
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

If you are following men's western formal attire, yes, ties are required. A suit just isn't formal enough without one, sorry.
Amy Caluori
Press Liaison 2014-2015
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

Ack. Scheduling is going to be harsh this year... Conflicting with masq is a major issue (even if it is just an overlap) since my masq outfit doesn't really allow for a quick change into more ball-appropiate attire. :( Curses. Guess I'll be missing it this year....
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
LadyHawke
AB Alumni

Post by LadyHawke »

Awww-- come on! Just throw on a dress or something afterwards. If you are worried about having "wig hair", you can wear another wig. Or something. I WILL EVEN PACK AN EXTRA DRESS FOR YOU.

(Will be a bummer not to see you there... in the ONE YEAR I'm actually able to go as well!)
~~ Jeni
2012 Guest Relations Division - Green Room Staff

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get Permission" -- RADM Grace Murray Hopper - U.S. Navy
PatrickD
AB Staff

Post by PatrickD »

[quote=ladyhawke78](Will be a bummer not to see you there... in the ONE YEAR I'm actually able to go as well!)[/quote]
Since it won't be against Anime Unscripted or The Chibi Project, I might finally be able to go too! (Depends when my other stuff is scheduled, of course...)
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
PavvyPower

Post by PavvyPower »

I am incredibly excited! <3 Ballroom! :D
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=ladyhawke78]Awww-- come on! Just throw on a dress or something afterwards. If you are worried about having "wig hair", you can wear another wig. Or something. I WILL EVEN PACK AN EXTRA DRESS FOR YOU.

(Will be a bummer not to see you there... in the ONE YEAR I'm actually able to go as well!)[/quote]
Aw Jeni. *^^* I can certainly try... Especially since I now have a boyfriend to dance with there!
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
Enacragus
Experienced Poster

Post by Enacragus »

I'll be in his uniform, like in this pic:
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs43/f/2009/ ... mamoto.png

I will wear dress shoes with it. And the recommendations for Ball attire do approve of military uniforms, as long as you wear dress shoes with it.

But here's the determining kicker. I'm a girl. I do a really good job of hiding my woman's shapes with the costume and other methods, but my face still is relatively girlish. They would probably guess that I'm a girl.

Is there a rule that says I can't wear a formal guy's uniform? It would seem a bit rude for them to be able to tell girls that they have to wear dresses and boys have to wear suits.

But will I be able to pull it off?
Hopallee
AB Staff

Post by Hopallee »

That would be rude... not to mention sexist. :-P If you read the dress code carefully you'll notice we're fairly clear that cross dressing done tastfully is A-OK with us. You're uniform will be fine.

example quote from dress code: "Female Attire:
Those dressing in female formal wear (regardless of their own gender)..."
Hope McChesney
ZenErik
Veteran Poster

Post by ZenErik »

I'm excited for this! I wanted to go to the ball last year but didn't get a ticket. Hopefully I find a dance partner and also don't fall on my face numerous times. I won't be missing that dance class. :)
DeathBruzer
Veteran Poster

Post by DeathBruzer »

Is white alright?

I was thinking of doing this for the ball.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/onepi ... arppic.png
MaCaBrE_totchi
Experienced Poster

Post by MaCaBrE_totchi »

I feel the need to point out that, even in real militia, boots are not formal. Boots tend to go along with civilian or informal, and are what you wear when on the field.

However, in such cases that formal wear is required, boots are not permitted. I don't imagine it's any different for armies in anime.

I didn't even notice this until my friend(in the National Guard) read her dress code for me. ^.^;
theorangecat
AB Staff

Post by theorangecat »

[quote=DeathBruzer]Is white alright?

I was thinking of doing this for the ball.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/onepi ... arppic.png[/quote]

Looks good to me. I would suggest watching the length of the cape though - the bottom is cut off in the photo, so I don't know how long it is, and we wouldn't want anyone to trip over it. If it is longer, I would suggest that you take it off when you're going to dance, or you could leave it off the costume all together - it's perfectly formal without it.
Jaimee K

'11 - Junior Tech Staff
ZenErik
Veteran Poster

Post by ZenErik »

I think I'll just use some pieces from my Tomoya cosplay and swap out some stuff as well. Will keep the white button up and red tie. Probably swap out the school blazer for my black corduroy blazer and the blue pants for some black ones as well. And the brown dress shoes for black ones too, haha.

Or perhaps just change everything altogether and swap out the white button up for some purple and the red tie for either white or black. I think that'd look pretty snazzy. :)
DeathBruzer
Veteran Poster

Post by DeathBruzer »

I'll probably just leave it at the hotel room.
nekomimi-one

Post by nekomimi-one »

Hey i have 2 questions....

1. I'm cosplaing as Aoyagi Ritsuka, and i was wondering if it is to informal for me to wear a white button down, black tie, black blazer, black slacks, black formal shoes, and (the part that could get me in trouble) my ears, tail, and (maybe) my collar with a bell? (the bell might be a bit much)

2. I know that this may not make a difference but it doesn't hurt to ask... if I am there with my boyfriend (I'm a male and bi) will it be to objectionable if I dance with him?
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

1. The outfit sounds fine. I think that a collar with the tie might be a little cluttered, but if you want to replace the tie with the collar, it would still be appropriate.

2. Of course not. We're incredibly relaxed about partners. Guys dance with guys, girls dance with girls, guys dance with girls who are dressed as guys...we don't discriminate.
Amy Caluori
Press Liaison 2014-2015
nekomimi-one

Post by nekomimi-one »

thank you very much... its just that the only other cons that i have been to have dances instead of balls...
Last edited by nekomimi-one on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Making sense after the word filter kicks in.
kimnamjoon
Determined Poster

Post by kimnamjoon »

One more question.. girl characters aren't required to wear dresses, right? You said girls dressed up as guys aren't required to but what about girl characters?

My character is female but wears a military uniform. And wouldn't be caught dead in a dress... It'd be a bit sexist to require all girl characters to wear a dress when for many it'd be quite out of character. =/ I'd asked before about the uniform but I didn't really think about this little detail until recently ^^;
bchan
Veteran Poster

Post by bchan »

I'm thinking of doing a few things for the ball, but i dont know if one of them would be acceptable or not. for saturday im going to be lady gaga, and i wanted to make a formal version of one of her outfits so i could do her for the ball as well. i know dresses are supposed to be to the knees, but what f i had a dress underneath that was above my knees, like this --> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT
but then over that i would be covered in lace, down past my knees, like the way she has it here, only longer --> http://www.mtv.com/news/photos/v/vma_09 ... looks2.jpg
would that count or not cuz you can see through lace?
thanks for the help!
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

As long as your girl character follows the dress code, she isn't required to wear a dress. You can wear a military uniform with slacks, or a women's suit. Both are acceptable replacements.
Amy Caluori
Press Liaison 2014-2015
Hopallee
AB Staff

Post by Hopallee »

It's really a matter of degree if you're wearing a mini-skirt and a see though layer over it. I'm still gonna see an lot of leg and its still something that you're going to get talked to if you wear to the office. If you have a solid skirt a few inches above the knee and a lace layer a few inches past that, that would be fine. Basically, if you're wearing a two layer skirt, the solid layer needs to be *close* to knee length, if not exactly knee length but definitely nothing above mid thigh. Again a good real life guideline for skirt length is "is this formal enough for a professional setting"?

It's definitely possibly to make a formal lady gaga outfit though. Personally if I had to pick something I would wear skinny, skinny white pants a white turtle neck and a tailored white jacket with bold make-up, big shiny jewelry and a white crown a la Bad Romance.... but I digress :-)
Hope McChesney