SERIOUSLY SOUND EFFECTS

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2009.
Suna Sato
Veteran Poster

SERIOUSLY SOUND EFFECTS

Post by Suna Sato »

I love AB to death really i do but could we cut back on one or two big names for the con and invest in som lighting effects and sound effects for the cosplay chess and masquerade... the jokes were good but i mean half the time i felt like i was watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw

You have alot of guests attending but the masquerade and cosplay chess are big events? couldn't we have like dramtic lighting for attacks and sound effects.... these are big events and should be planned more the ya know 2 hours ahead of time.... just a suggestion.....
Of Course im Jenova again this year! Join me my children the year of the Jenovas Witness begins!!!!
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

SERIOUSLY SOUND EFFECTS

Post by kiarrens »

The lighting has actually been getting progressively more impressive with each year. The main issue is that the tech crew wouldn't have time to prepare an entire lighting setup for each attack and/or skit, particularly since there is no time for these main events to be practiced at length on-stage. This is simple con logistics and not really anything AB or its staff can help.
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
Ace_of_Tails
Expert Poster

SERIOUSLY SOUND EFFECTS

Post by Ace_of_Tails »

Don't forget the cost. Tech support doesn't work for free, I'm sure!

Plus, isn't half the fun of going to Cons just using your imagination?
snowtay
AB Alumni

SERIOUSLY SOUND EFFECTS

Post by snowtay »

In response to chess:
A) More than half the attacks are improv, so can't plan beforehand.
B) I know the guy who sets up the flash board with the animations...while he is hoping to upgrade next year, he really isn't paid, and didnt get the "script" until AB had already started. I think everything was amazing for how little time they had to plan.
C) One big thing about improv events like this is things can be changed last minute if someone has a brilliant idea. There were changes to the chess player lineup as close as 2 hours before the game.

In short: Since these events are planned quickly, and meant to have fluid planning, "professional" lighting and sound effects would limit what can ultimately be done. And while there is a limit, I believe there are talks for next year to upgrade current tech, and produce some more interesting background to the main event, which is always the players kicking each other butts on stage. ~_^
Snow
Cosplay Games Staff 2011-2017, 2020