Dance Dance Revolution

If it's a game that you plug into the wall or the game runs on batteries, you can find them inside this forum.
Deany Kong
Experienced Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by Deany Kong »

Last year's DDR setup was rather sloppy. With cheap soft mats and version of DDR that wasn't even unlocked, the experience was sub-par. Metal pads are rather cheap now, since they're not very high in demand anymore, I'd like to request a pair of those be at this year's booth. Also, it'd be nice if whichever version of the game on display was fully unlocked. Last year, a squirrely-looking guy was hording the game playing single player trying to unlock stuff, until an intimidating-looking cosplayer gave him a stern talking to about sharing.
2008: Rob Lucci | 2009: Rob Lucci | 2010: Walter
2011: Gary Oak | 2012: Gary Oak | 2013: Tony Stark
2014: Space Dandy | 2015: Space Dandy | 2016: Crocodile
2017: Grown-up who feels to old to cosplay. | 2018: Grown-up who feels to old to cosplay.
Joe P.
Veteran Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by Joe P. »

[quote=Deany Kong]Last year, a squirrely-looking guy was hording the game playing single player trying to unlock stuff, until an intimidating-looking cosplayer gave him a stern talking to about sharing.[/quote]

Why is all I can think of Eric S. right now? ahahaha

Anywho, I'm hoping an actual machine will turn up this time around. Its gonna be hard though since there are no machines in the boston area anymore... Kinda lame :/
DeathBruzer
Veteran Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by DeathBruzer »

I wonder what Goodtimes in Somerville did with their machine when they closed down?
Joe P.
Veteran Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by Joe P. »

They put it up in an auction along with the rest of their arcade games. Dunno who bought it though.
jessica
Committed Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by jessica »

[quote=Joe P.]They put it up in an auction along with the rest of their arcade games. Dunno who bought it though.[/quote]

Yeah, I don't know who would want that piece of crap machine anyway.

I second metal pads.. I wanted to play this year and was really disappointed when I saw the set up. Sorry to say this, but if I wanted to play a home version and on soft pads, I'd play at home.
Rappak
AB Executive

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by Rappak »

I wonder what did MIT do with their machine. Their arcade closed down too.
Richard Pakpreo

Volunteer 2006-2007
Junior Volunteer Wrangler 2008-2009
Senior Volunteer Wrangler 2010-2015
Treasury Staff 2016-2019
Director of Treasury 2020-2024
brie84
Determined Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by brie84 »

last time I knew they put their machine up on ebay
Kaede
Expert Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by Kaede »

In reply to the metal pads we were suppose to have them and guess what.. somebody forgot to bring them. What did we have with us at the time. As you seen crappy soft pads. What can you do? Even most cons now these days will still use soft pads since the metals ones do break easily and it cost more to replace.

This year were making use of whatever we can get on. ^_^
lunchbox
Expert Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by lunchbox »

You mean what we can get our hands on mike :-p.
The MOLE
Getting the hang of this...

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by The MOLE »

Heres a question that i wanted to throw out seeing as there is about 4 monthes left till AB09 and the forums will soon be picking up and finall arrangements being made in the monthes to come.

If I were so inclined/asked/offered who would i talk to about bringing my machine for the game room........Terms could be negotiated with them. And if they didnt want to pay me or give me a free room etc I Would still check into bringing it if i had permission.......

Its just last year was the first year out of all my times coming to AB (05-Present) that they didnt have a Machine and i dont want to see that happen again this year.

AIM= JOELFROMCAPE
MYSPACE.COM/DDRKING
Akimichi Sazuki
Determined Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by Akimichi Sazuki »

hey joel, i've seen you around the mall a few times, we met b4, briefly but thats sweet how you got your own ddr machine....did you buy it from FYE when they closed o.0?
You will never understand the depth of our pride
brie84
Determined Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by brie84 »

he had to kill a man to get that machine! :o
Death
Veteran Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by Death »

sounds funn XD i stick at it though but i think is a good idea but if it breaks then wat =( o well this should be epic
Salith
Obsessed Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by Salith »

I've never been to the gaming room because I've never had time but I guess if somebody wanted they could bring the metal pads and as backups someone bring the softer pads. Just an idea.
Shadow
Veteran Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by Shadow »

I hope there will be metal pads. I can't play nearly as well on the soft ones
brie84
Determined Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by brie84 »

[quote=Shadow]I hope there will be metal pads. I can't play nearly as well on the soft ones[/quote]

We are trying to figure things out right now with DDR. We will post the info as soon as it is available. As far as bringing backup pads, we're all set.
Toph88
Expert Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by Toph88 »

I had a metal pad but because it was used, and way to many of my friends where stomping on it, it broke. So if you guys to get the metal ones, just make sure people down kill them. I want a turn before they crap out!
Cons been to: Anime Boston '09, '11, '12, '13, '14
brie84
Determined Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by brie84 »

there will be staffers around making sure no one will be abusing the equiptment
cwong617
Veteran Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by cwong617 »

I need to practice at mit, before I go back to school.
coolforever
AB Alumni

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by coolforever »

I miss 2007 where we had the Supernova machine. THAT was pure awesomeness. :P
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
lunchbox
Expert Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by lunchbox »

MIT's game room is gone as far as I know. It closed right before christmas time. Unless its back and no one knew about it...as for DDR at AB, we are in negotiations about machines, so we will update as soon as possible about what the DDR setup will be at the con.
kamahlrf
Veteran Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by kamahlrf »

Thanks for the small update :) Def. good to hear that there might be an actual machine again this year :D

Be even cooler if I show up and there is a DDR X machine there since it makes its USA debit in April XD lol I can dream can't I?
lunchbox
Expert Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by lunchbox »

If we could get a DDR X machine that would be pretty amazing, but I don't even know if anyone will even have it when its released based on its $20000 dollar price...or was it $25000...I can't remember, but still if anyone in new england actually gets it that would be awesome.
kamahlrf
Veteran Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by kamahlrf »

It would indeed be amazing.

And actually I got a quote for the hell of it out of an Arcade machine selling company in Hong Kong.
Apparently for the complete upgrade kit from an older version machine to X is under $9,000.

Kyla_Ewens
Expert Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by Kyla_Ewens »

Hmm...I'm not good enough to compete (can only handle light mode) but it might be fun if I played a round or two in my costume. Could be pretty funny...I'll have to practice.
kamahlrf
Veteran Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by kamahlrf »

Judging by your signature, going again as chocobo rider + chocobo :p ? Would indeed be pretty gut chuckling to see a chocobo play some DDR
Kyla_Ewens
Expert Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by Kyla_Ewens »

Heh heh heh, nope! My chocobo will not be returning to Anime Boston this year...well maybe on Sunday, I have to fix the poor thing, he got a little mangled last year.

But for Friday and probably Saturday I've got a whole new costume ready >w< Which would be equally fun to watch if I played DDR in it...it would amuse me anyway. Dang, I really have to practice now because I really want to do this now. XD even if it's just on Light Mode, I think it'd be fun.
MachoZ
Expert Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by MachoZ »

[quote=Deany Kong]Last year's DDR setup was rather sloppy. With cheap soft mats and version of DDR that wasn't even unlocked, the experience was sub-par. Metal pads are rather cheap now, since they're not very high in demand anymore, I'd like to request a pair of those be at this year's booth. Also, it'd be nice if whichever version of the game on display was fully unlocked. Last year, a squirrely-looking guy was hording the game playing single player trying to unlock stuff, until an intimidating-looking cosplayer gave him a stern talking to about sharing.[/quote]

Pham and the staff have been prepping for DDR machines, whatever they cook up with us we will also have Blue shark foam pads with us.

^_^
kamahlrf
Veteran Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by kamahlrf »

That's good to hear MachoZ :D Guess I have to spend even more time @ the arcade than I do now.
cwong617
Veteran Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by cwong617 »

Yeah, the owner went out of business, so I'll think I'll practice at home then. "sigh"
MachoZ
Expert Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by MachoZ »

[quote=Futuresight]That's good to hear MachoZ :D Guess I have to spend even more time @ the arcade than I do now.[/quote]

Practice Practice!!

and by Practice, I mean like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_IrKMHGaAk

without the staple maple singing! or practice against someone else who is good, like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK2vpuYaees

but dont practice like our Ops head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NF3MeomM8w

yeah we want you to make it to AB!!! not come in body casts.

GPX, we like DDR...go figure.

^_~

Joe P.
Veteran Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by Joe P. »

Roman... Good at DDR...

... Dohohohohoho =3
kamahlrf
Veteran Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by kamahlrf »

[quote=MachoZ][quote=Futuresight]That's good to hear MachoZ :D Guess I have to spend even more time @ the arcade than I do now.[/quote]
without the staple maple singing! or practice against someone else who is good, like this:
[/quote]

Stoic...now THERE is a song I haven't played in a looooooooooooong time.

Almost SDG, nice job :D I'll have to play it tomorrow to see what I can do on it :P
MachoZ
Expert Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by MachoZ »

[quote=Joe P.]Roman... Good at DDR...

... Dohohohohoho =3[/quote]

owned!
kamahlrf
Veteran Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by kamahlrf »

Is this Roman fellow going to be present? Be fun to have a challenge since no one really plays in my area anymore! (Probably beat me silly but it'll still be fun :D)

And yes....before anything is said and done...bar = good for asthma
MachoZ
Expert Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by MachoZ »

[quote=Futuresight]Is this Roman fellow going to be present? Be fun to have a challenge since no one really plays in my area anymore! (Probably beat me silly but it'll still be fun :D)

And yes....before anything is said and done...bar = good for asthma [/quote]

Yep Roman is part of GPX Gaming staff, so he will be at AB ^^

I'm sure he will have fun on DDR too, he's a fiend for a good DDR run
kamahlrf
Veteran Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by kamahlrf »

Awesome, guess I just have to practice harder than usual XD Might have to travel down to the far-away land that holds the hacked ITG machine

Can anyone say Pink Fuzzy Bunnies?

....I can say it but that crap is hard lol >.>
brie84
Determined Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by brie84 »

[quote=Futuresight]Awesome, guess I just have to practice harder than usual XD Might have to travel down to the far-away land that holds the hacked ITG machine

Can anyone say Pink Fuzzy Bunnies?

....I can say it but that crap is hard lol >.>[/quote]

there were a lot of people from the DDR community there last year,so I'm guessing theres going to be more than a hand full of people that can play above light mode.
I personally can't wait to play, as long as I bring a pair of back up shoes DDR+heels= owies :p
MachoZ
Expert Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by MachoZ »

Yeah those Chung Li boots wont be too forgiving on you if you DDR in them!

M
lunchbox
Expert Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by lunchbox »

you mean Chun Brie boots!
kamahlrf
Veteran Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by kamahlrf »

After a long day of playing DDR, best I can say I did was 95.30% on Crazy Loop (Mm Ma Ma) on ITG XD Sure I can do betters

Really catchy song :P Youtube it ftw
Kyla_Ewens
Expert Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by Kyla_Ewens »

Man...I'm a little hesitant to play at Anime Boston because I can't get beyond Lite mode to save my life. I can only do about 2-3 songs on normal mode. ^^;; But I still think it would be fun to play in my costume, so I'll just have to play when there aren't too many hardcore people around.
lunchbox
Expert Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by lunchbox »

Who cares if you can only play on light, play to have fun. I can guarantee there will be quite a few people playing at all times except maybe at like 1 or 2 in the morning. Just play to have fun, and if you want to get better before AB go get a home version and learn on that :-). Or go to an arcade with a machine. Only way to get better is to play more. And for the record, people playing in costumes can be amusing.
Kyla_Ewens
Expert Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by Kyla_Ewens »

XD Totally, at AB06 I witnessed a Tonberry playing DDR. It was awesome.
And I do have the home version. I've got DDRMAX2, and I've had it for a while. I never really cared too much about getting good at it because I mostly used it for the exercise. I'm pretty good on Lite mode, and for a while I was improving on normal but I haven't done it for a while. >w< I'll be at Anime Boston with friends this year, so that'll keep me from being too intimidated to hop on and play a couple rounds on Lite mode.
XD I just wish I had more energy at the end of the day to practice (I work from 8-4:30 and get home around 5ish).
kamahlrf
Veteran Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by kamahlrf »

[quote=Kyla_Ewens]Man...I'm a little hesitant to play at Anime Boston because I can't get beyond Lite mode to save my life. I can only do about 2-3 songs on normal mode. ^^;; But I still think it would be fun to play in my costume, so I'll just have to play when there aren't too many hardcore people around. [/quote]

Everyone has to start somewhere :)

Like Lunchbox said, all it takes is practice. But than again, what in this world doesn't? :D No need to feel out of place when we are all playing the same game just on different levels since we all started off on easy and worked our ways up. Everyone will be happy to play with ya :) I know I will

And I do remember that Tonberry XD That was awesome
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by Phantom 1 »

Look on the bright side, I've never played it at all so you have one up on me.
MachoZ
Expert Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by MachoZ »

[quote=Kyla_Ewens]Man...I'm a little hesitant to play at Anime Boston because I can't get beyond Lite mode to save my life. I can only do about 2-3 songs on normal mode. ^^;; But I still think it would be fun to play in my costume, so I'll just have to play when there aren't too many hardcore people around. [/quote]

Come find me when your ready to play on lite, I suck at DDR, and we own every title!!! you will score better then me and all will be forgiven ^_~
Kyla_Ewens
Expert Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by Kyla_Ewens »

Aww thanks everybody. >w< The support is much appreciated. I attempted to practice last night in costume, but it's been a while. My dance pad is pretty old and I'm out of practice. I was way off beat and kept stepping too fast, but it also takes a lot more force for steps to register on my pad. I may have to invest in a new one, or just get DDR for the Wii. It was hard to tell if I was way off or if the pad wasn't working properly, so I think it was a combo of the two.
lunchbox
Expert Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by lunchbox »

I'd say get a Redoctane ignition soft pad, that or if you want to go hardcore and go metal pads there are tons of viable options out there. www.ddrfreak.com has tons of information.
lunchbox
Expert Poster

Dance Dance Revolution

Post by lunchbox »

Edit: Double post, gave me an error, though it didn't post.