Artist Alley Trading Cards Rules and Specs

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
TheDeedlit
AB Staff

Post by TheDeedlit »

I know there have been questions, so I figured I would post this here in its entirety so that everyone is on the same page. I do hereby admit that I copied this from Nikki's post, I do not claim it as my own, but when you have near perfection why mess with it? If you have any questions that are not answered here, PLEASE ask. I am only human and may have missed something and you will be helping to make it better for next year.

So here it is:

What is this activity?

AATC (Artists’ Alley Trading Cards) is an activity where artists can make and exchange cards with their artwork on it. It’s similar to other types of activities we’ve seen around such as ATC or ACEO, but since we’ve altered a few of the rules to make it a con activity (ex. No quantity limitations) we’ve changed the name.

The following rules are ones that the artists on the forums seem to have all agreed on more or less (at least, we’ve seen no big objections)

NOTE: This activity is meant to endure beyond this one event. WE ENCOURAGE its use at other conventions, using the following rules. Change only what you need to for your conventions peculiarities (such as display, check in, etc)

Size –

* 2 ½ x 3 ½ (Traditional Card Size)

Display: DEMO CARDS will be placed in a book to be held at the Artists’ Alley Info desk. Each holder on the page will have a small sticker to place your table number on.

In this fashion, artists can look at the demos, and then after picking one they like, they can visit your table to make the exchange.

Drop off and pick up (of Demo Cards): Artists can drop off their Demo Cards as they check in at the Artists’ Alley Info Desk (required by each person at the table), and the Artists’ Alley staff will place them in the book – be sure to let us know what table number you are so your cards can be marked and other artists can find you.

In fact, if we have a lot of people come in at the same time, it would cut down the confusion if your Demo Cards are placed in an envelope marked with your table number.

If you would like to pick up your Demo Card, make sure you do so before con closing on Sunday, or on your way out for the weekend, whenever that may be.

Trades: Put simply, come and look at the book so you can find out which artists are participating in this activity. then go to the table numbers listed and make your exchange. You can make as many trades as you'd like or have cards for, even with the same artist.

Non Alley Artists Trades: Basically, You'll have to initiate all trades. People can check out your demo cards, but a "W" will be marked on your sticker for location instead of a number.

if you would LIKE to, you can leave a few of your cards behind in an envelope with your name on it. the problem with this, is you won't have much of a choice on who you get to trade with. or, we could take the names of the people interested in your cards and give them to you the next time you check in with us.

Materials and Mediums:
You can use whatever materials you want as long as you keep this in mind – it has to fit into the card sleeves. So cards made out of clay or chainmaille would be out, but photographs of that type of work would be acceptable.

It would be a good idea to make the cards stiff, so Bristol Boards, cardstock or photostock would probably be the best choices.

Any medium is acceptable – for those of you who have mediums that cannot be made into cards, take a photograph. That’s perfectly acceptable.

Participation: All artists, regardless of whether or not they made it into the alley, can participate in this activity. This activity makes it possible for artists who are disappointed in not being able to participate in the alley itself to actually take part if they wanted.

ONLY Artists can participate. This is a trade. (Unless you want to take pity on your non artistic AA Staff :blush: )

Logos:
There is no official Logo for this trade. But it is required that you place “AATC” and the year on it. And if you like, the name of the event (such as Anime Boston) can be placed on it as well.

If somebody comes up with a logo at some point and other people want to adopt it and the person who made the logo is all right with it, then if folks want to use it, go ahead.

Original vs Fanart
Most artists would prefer to see original work, but we won’t be disallowing the use of fanart.

New Art or Recycled Art: We’re not going to restrict this either. Unfortunately, a lot of us just don’t have the time to work on new pieces. If you want to take an existing piece for an AATC, and then if you crop it in, possibly alter it a little digitally or something, that is acceptable.

Online Trades:
We will not be doing an online trade. What this is, is a chance for folks to preview your cards and get an idea before the con with whom you’d like to trade with. The benefit of this is multiple:

* Inspiration as we all get psyched for the con
* Helps with the possible crowding issue as folks try to gather around the info desk to check out the cards
* Gives us an idea of how many Artists are participating so we can properly plan for it...

Quantity Limitations:
We don’t have any. It’ll be up to your discretion how many of any cards you may want to make. You may want to have a variety of cards, with a limited number per, or you can decided to make 40 cards of the same design – especially if you’ve got a limited amount of time.

SUGGESTION FOR DROP OFF: (especially for those coming in on Thursday, before we get the book) Put your Demo Card in an envelope that has your table number on it so that we won’t forget whose cards are whose.

Future Plans: The details of this should remain the same for next year. It is a program we like and barring major staffing changes should be part of the Art Track for 2011 as well.
Last edited by TheDeedlit on Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:33 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: so people can find this
Kathy Lawton
Artist Alley Manager 2018-2020
artistalley@animeboston.com
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

p.s. i think we decided to skip the larger sizes last year....
Nikki O'Shea Bean
http://www.dragonpressgraphics.com
http://www.bardscomic.com

Artists Alley Manager 2008-2017
Artists Alley Co-Manager 2005-07
Attendee 2004
Artists Alley Accidental Volunteer 2003
TheDeedlit
AB Staff

Post by TheDeedlit »

Okay, took the larger size out.