2018 Artists' Alley phase 2 email confirmations complete

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

2018 Artists' Alley phase 2 email confirmations complete

Post by pulsedemon »

Hello, all! Kathy sent out all confirmation emails for space in the 2018 Anime Boston Artists' Alley. We don't have nearly enough space to accommodate all requests, so if you haven't heard anything from us confirming a space for you yet, unfortunately we're full.

I took a quick glance a moment ago and there were nearly 1200 applications for space in the 'general' Alley. Personally, this is the busiest time of year (I'm sure many of you are in the same situation in this regard) and I know Kathy had a lot of computer issues and had to rebuild her system recently. The numbers are rounded off to save some time! Figure we were around 1200 people seeking space with roughly 150 tables to offer.

If there are any cancellations for any reason, we'll go to the waitlist. Thanks for your patience and thanks for your support and interest in the show!
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
twinks
I'm new!

Re: 2018 Artists' Alley phase 2 email confirmations complete

Post by twinks »

How is it possible that so many people who have better time stamps did not get accepted, but people with later time stamps got in? What is this "rounded numbers to save time"?
VikingSheep
Getting the hang of this...

Post by VikingSheep »

Here's the thing. We artists talk to each other, and we compare, especially for a convention as cutthroat to get into as Anime Boston. There are people who didn't get in whose email confirmation timestamps are earlier than those with later timestamps. Why is that? What will be done next year to fix that? At least assure us that *something* will change next year. The entire alley selling out in less than two minutes makes FCFS absolutely ridiculous as a viable AA entry method for a convention as large as AB.
Deckitout
I'm new!

Post by Deckitout »

I sent an email out but got no response! My timestamp is a good 30 seconds earlier than quite a few other people I know to have gotten in! Could I please get some help explaining to me why I was overlooked? I know quite a few other people in my situation who are wondering this as well!
craftshley

Post by craftshley »

Can you please describe in more detail the process of going through the list of applicants?

As others have mentioned, people with time stamps of up to 45 seconds earlier than some who were accepted, were not accepted. I was never in the running, having a time stamp of about 50 seconds after opening but I am concerned that so many with early timestamps didn't get in while others with later times did. If it were a few people, I would assume that the people who did get in requested smaller tables. But, as mentioned, we talk, we compare timestamps, and we share information. I can think of at least ten people with earlier timestamps. Also, people who mistyped their birthdate were not penalized at all. As far as I understand, the whole point of the birthdate was to ensure that applicants were of age before applying. Therefore, applications with birthdates that indicated they were not 18 or older should have been thrown out. Some people corrected their birthdate and missed the very very tiny window because of it. The lack of transparency and communication in this regard makes many of us suspicious and mistrustful about the methods used.

I highly recommend that some of the AA staff join the Artist Alley Network International group on Facebook and post updates there. Katsucon's AA head does this and it has greatly increased communication and transparency, as well as giving artists a way to pose questions easily. Plus, it gives the appearance that they are open to suggestions and ideas as to how to improve their alley. Since all there is in the way of communication regarding AB AA is this little post in forums that are rarely used, I think it would be a huge step up. Almost 20,000 artists are in this group and I'm betting a majority of applicants are part of it. And to not even offer rejection emails? When some people don't interact on the forums at all? How are you supposed to know what is going on if you don't read the forums? Rejection emails went out in the past, why not continue sending them? And why not respond to direct emails at all? The lines of communication appear absolutely closed and I feel quite abandoned and hopeless. I am not asking for reassurance or comfort. I'm just asking for transparency, which is easily achieved by posting on social media or sending mass emails. If you can post on Twitter about the application time changing, then you can pen a quick tweet saying all decisions have gone out.

I don't mind not getting in, really. This way I can just attend the convention and sell at another one the next weekend. I am just unbelievably frustrated with how poorly this whole process has been handled.
Akaminyan

Post by Akaminyan »

Seconding what everyone else is asking about.
You advertised this application process as a FCFS, people as a result made the necessary preparations- even waiting those extra hours.
I don't mind the cut-throat quality of FCFS as long as it is fair and transparent as it has been in the past.
We do not know how you made your selections this year and it does not make much sense or seem very fair.
Akaminyan

Post by Akaminyan »

This also does not address the possibility of lost emails since a good portion of them went to spam.
Please be transparent about your selection process so we can know to contact you if something is wrong with receiving the emails!
KitsuneCreations
Veteran Poster

Post by KitsuneCreations »

craftshley wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:17 pm Can you please describe in more detail the process of going through the list of applicants?

As others have mentioned, people with time stamps of up to 45 seconds earlier than some who were accepted, were not accepted. I was never in the running, having a time stamp of about 50 seconds after opening but I am concerned that so many with early timestamps didn't get in while others with later times did. If it were a few people, I would assume that the people who did get in requested smaller tables. But, as mentioned, we talk, we compare timestamps, and we share information. I can think of at least ten people with earlier timestamps. Also, people who mistyped their birthdate were not penalized at all. As far as I understand, the whole point of the birthdate was to ensure that applicants were of age before applying. Therefore, applications with birthdates that indicated they were not 18 or older should have been thrown out. Some people corrected their birthdate and missed the very very tiny window because of it. The lack of transparency and communication in this regard makes many of us suspicious and mistrustful about the methods used.

I highly recommend that some of the AA staff join the Artist Alley Network International group on Facebook and post updates there. Katsucon's AA head does this and it has greatly increased communication and transparency, as well as giving artists a way to pose questions easily. Plus, it gives the appearance that they are open to suggestions and ideas as to how to improve their alley. Since all there is in the way of communication regarding AB AA is this little post in forums that are rarely used, I think it would be a huge step up. Almost 20,000 artists are in this group and I'm betting a majority of applicants are part of it. And to not even offer rejection emails? When some people don't interact on the forums at all? How are you supposed to know what is going on if you don't read the forums? Rejection emails went out in the past, why not continue sending them? And why not respond to direct emails at all? The lines of communication appear absolutely closed and I feel quite abandoned and hopeless. I am not asking for reassurance or comfort. I'm just asking for transparency, which is easily achieved by posting on social media or sending mass emails. If you can post on Twitter about the application time changing, then you can pen a quick tweet saying all decisions have gone out.

I don't mind not getting in, really. This way I can just attend the convention and sell at another one the next weekend. I am just unbelievably frustrated with how poorly this whole process has been handled.
This. Literally all of this.
KitsuneCreation.etsy.com | Instagram.com/KitsuneCreation | Facebook.com/KitsuneCreation
egyptianruin
Veteran Poster

Post by egyptianruin »

The wording in the original post is confusing but I am thinking that she meant ESTIMATED 1200 applications and 150 tables and not ROUNDED... Although a Google Document set up correctly should give an exact count, lol.

I think what artists are upset about is that FCFS was the system again this year, even though many artists begged for lottery. The servers once again got overloaded. Sign up times got changed. People did the google form and had time stamps for the FCFS and documented their times in AANI on Facebook... Yet as emails went out for acceptance some of the ones who submitted FIRST in the First Come First Serve system got placed on the waitlist.

I applied and I am not mad. I am just very sad that such a great convention has such an antiquated system for an alley as large as it is As a result of not having super fast internet I have not been to Anime Boston for 4 years (my son was 5 last time we came, lol) I never expect to get in anymore but I try. Others though are very upset and I think this is something that needs to be addressed via email and not in a forum that is hidden unless you are signed up to see it.

There was a ton of chaos around this and it should be dealt with in a more professional manner than a forum post.

I hope in the future you go to Lottery or Jury to avoid such chaos and animosity you have created in the artist community. Have a great holiday everyone. Be nice to each other and be kind. <3
Selling kawaii, kitsch and often geeky items.

cutenkitschy.com
AliceUsagi
I'm new!

Post by AliceUsagi »

Please send all artists emails about being on the waitlist. A lot of artists are still sitting on edge waiting for emails. I understand you guys had a lot of applicants, but not every artist is going to look at the forum and realize that tables have filled up. In years past emails were sent out, please do the same this year.

Additionally, this years AA application was a complete disaster. I know that numerous artists have asked for a change in the system, and I agree 110% with them. Something has to change.

But as other artists have pointed out, a lot of us have spoken through AANI and have exchanged time stamps. I understand that there are different table sizes, and that spaces are limited, but there are artists with very late timestamps that have gotten in, whereas artists with early timestamps did not get in. Many of us are frustrated at this, and are skeptical if this really was a FCFS situation.

Obviously nothing can really be changed now, and whats done is done. But with how large this con is, transparency is huge. Please be more open with artists.
masterofplush
Determined Poster

Post by masterofplush »

I dont have a lot to add besides seconding everything already said. This years process has been nothing but frustration and stress and you really really need to think of a better solution.

Also please stop posting important info and insisting we respond via the forums! No one uses these things anymore and it honestly is just salt in the wound with this whole process.
Come check out our cute plushies and cool art at Fluffy Kitten Studios
vegapalomar
I'm new!

Post by vegapalomar »

Very disappointed in this years application process. It was very unfair to everyone. I am still confused about the "rounding" of numbers and would like an explanation. I think communication should improved for next year, as many artists haven't received timely responses.
VikingSheep

Post by VikingSheep »

I'm extremely disappointed that there has been no reply to this from the artist alley coordinators. We've been told to use the forums. We've used the forums. Why has there been no response?
Painted_Outlaw
Veteran Poster

Post by Painted_Outlaw »

VikingSheep wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:39 pm I'm extremely disappointed that there has been no reply to this from the artist alley coordinators. We've been told to use the forums. We've used the forums. Why has there been no response?
Maybe because the staff is made up of people with actual lives and actual jobs? Like, I know it's easier to pretend that they're sitting by their computers 24/7 laughing and purposely ignoring you but it's likely more realistic that they've just been too busy to get to it yet.

Also, take in mind what pulsedemon stated in his post - "Personally, this is the busiest time of year (I'm sure many of you are in the same situation in this regard) and I know Kathy had a lot of computer issues and had to rebuild her system recently." and it lends more credence to what I stated above. Just be patient, you'll get your responses.
Attendee since 2010, panelist since 2016.
VikingSheep

Post by VikingSheep »

Except being an artist and selling in artist alleys is my job. It's the full or part time job of most of the people who sell in the alley. It's not a hobby for extra cash. We expect some level of communication, especially from a convention as large and well established as Anime Boston. This thread wasn't the first in the forum to bring up the issues expressed, I know others emailed even earlier, and I waited several days after this thread started to express my disappointment. Yes, they are human and it is a busy time of year, but they took on this responsibility for the actual lives and actual jobs of hundreds of others. At this point I would settle for a quick note to say we've been heard. These are real concerns that have been brought up, and so far it's been radio silence.
Painted_Outlaw
Veteran Poster

Post by Painted_Outlaw »

VikingSheep wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:37 pmExcept being an artist and selling in artist alleys is my job. It's the full or part time job of most of the people who sell in the alley. It's not a hobby for extra cash.
Apologies, I didn't mean to imply that your jobs were any lesser than theirs. When I said "actual", I was attempting to differentiate between their con work and whatever jobs they may have. Maybe I should've used a word like "off-site", instead.
This thread wasn't the first in the forum to bring up the issues expressed,
Oh, I'm aware. The hyperbole and vitriol are also over this subforum. :V
I know others emailed even earlier, and I waited several days after this thread started to express my disappointment. [..] At this point I would settle for a quick note to say we've been heard. These are real concerns that have been brought up, and so far it's been radio silence.
And, my point was just to be patient and one'll come. When I first attempted to do a panel, I was confused over deal with the waitlists. So, I messaged whoever responsible and that was a whole thing but it's worked easier for me to just be patient on the whole deal. Applications for panels go up in October and I start hearing back in January; in the meantime, I use the time to make sure my powerpoints are in order and set up my cosplays. Bit of an anecdote there but, I swear it's relevant haha.

Anyways, seems like a response went up last night actually so anything I say on this topic would probably be moot now. Hope it works for you!
twinks
I'm new!

Post by twinks »

Painted_Outlaw wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:34 pm Maybe because the staff is made up of people with actual lives and actual jobs? Like, I know it's easier to pretend that they're sitting by their computers 24/7 laughing and purposely ignoring you but it's likely more realistic that they've just been too busy to get to it yet.

Also, take in mind what pulsedemon stated in his post - "Personally, this is the busiest time of year (I'm sure many of you are in the same situation in this regard) and I know Kathy had a lot of computer issues and had to rebuild her system recently." and it lends more credence to what I stated above. Just be patient, you'll get your responses.

I'm not quite sure you understand where our frustrations come from.

Given that minimal information AND communication were provided to artists even before the problematic application process began, we certainly do expect the organization we're PAYING money to at least respond in a professional, transparent manner. Something as simple as "Sorry we're experiencing issues, we'll get back to you ASAP when we can" certainly doesn't take up more than 5 minutes, and both parties can understand and work with each other.

Artist alley, while an amateur venue, has MONEY involved. When money is involved things get messy real quick. When AB staff refuses to be transparent about their own issues and refuses to own up to them, tempers are gonna run. So far staff has only successfully ignored all concerns and blamed everyone and everything for their own shortcomings except themselves, and refuse to discuss any future solutions. If you read the application post, this OP post and the new post, you'll notice that they addressed no concerns or problems, and offered only excuses and flat statements that conflict with their application outlines.

We have questions. A lot of questions. But staff is only responding to superfluous posts before going MIA.

Negativity is running very high in the artist community over this, and I'm sorry if some of this is overflowing to other subforums, but I hope as a fellow valuable contributor to a convention, you guys would understand and not interfere. While some may hope outside commentary would help AB realize their shortcomings and start working with us, I think really it just adds noise at this point.

Cheers.
Painted_Outlaw
Veteran Poster

Post by Painted_Outlaw »

twinks wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:32 pmbut I hope as a fellow valuable contributor to a convention, you guys would understand and not interfere. While some may hope outside commentary would help AB realize their shortcomings and start working with us, I think really it just adds noise at this point.
"You guys"? I'm only speaking for myself here. :?
I don't see anything really wrong with what I'm doing here, I'm being polite and I'm adding to a discussion on a public forum but if you guys don't want a discussion and would rather rant the same things over and over then hey, be my guest. I'll just focus on cosplays and my Powerpoint instead, I guess.
VikingSheep

Post by VikingSheep »

There's vitriol, and then there's justified anger. We artists are angry because we've been jerked around from the get-go this year, any communication has been late and only answered the most basic of questions, and they have changed their policies with no notice. Why wouldn't we be mad when, again, this directly impacts our livelihoods? Sitting back and being patient isn't an option for all of us. We have to be proactive, we have to be loud, we have to make sure our voices are heard again and again, because I have seen it at too many conventions since I started selling where artists get stepped on because we're not big companies.
Kino
Expert Poster

Post by Kino »

So it sounds like some additional acceptances have been sent out yesterday / recently and I was wondering if there was some sort of statement the management could make?
Are additional tables being added? Did several people cancel and the list hasn't been finalized? Did it have anything to do with timestamp errors and some remedial actions were taken? Should I still be checking my e-mails?