So here's what happened...

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Re: So here's what happened...

Post by Nemra »

welp this is late cause the page didnt load in time but, from our official twitter account: https://twitter.com/AnimeBoston

to be clear, it still works on both the website AND twitter. either will get you to the sign up page.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

centimetre
Getting the hang of this...

Post by centimetre »

Waugh, I'm shaking...

T_T
Last edited by centimetre on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shattered-Earth
Experienced Poster

Post by Shattered-Earth »

The website was absolutely crashed and gone to pieces while twitter refreshed with no problems for me.

In the future, i prefer FCFS and you can see how well google forms worked yourself, google and twitter have almost unlimited bandwidth so they can handle us no problem.

Today though, I just wanted to say this was very stressful. I had a funeral to attend and manage today, I had asked a friend to sign up for me since they would be available for 5 hours (9-2pm PST), that should have been enough time to sign up for an AA. Once i had exited the funeral service i was told what had happened, and had to make more plans to try and sign up on last second notice on a day i should not have to worry about something like this.

And it's not like I need a funeral to make this bad, regular people with normal day jobs can't get out of a second shift they already put off this morning. If you need to shut something down like this, please reschedule early and completely.
linkakami
I'm new!

Post by linkakami »

Agh, I'm so jittery. I noticed after I submitted that the year was automatically filled in to 2017 and forgot to change it! This won't disqualify my entry, will it? Hopefully staff would recognize that I wasn't born yesterday! I used the AA contact sheet just in case to ask...
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

linkakami wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:14 pm Agh, I'm so jittery. I noticed after I submitted that the year was automatically filled in to 2017 and forgot to change it! This won't disqualify my entry, will it? Hopefully staff would recognize that I wasn't born yesterday! I used the AA contact sheet just in case to ask...
That will definitely not be a problem!
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
centimetre

Post by centimetre »

double post
Last edited by centimetre on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seikastar
I'm new!

Post by seikastar »

Oh lorddddd guys I wasn't checking twitter, I was checking the homepage. I submitted around 6:17 and I'm already worried it was too late :,D

That being said, the google form worked perfectly, I had no issue with it whatsoever. Thumbs up.
toychild
Experienced Poster

Post by toychild »

Ok great I don't use Twitter and I've been refreshing that AB page (which is still giving me a 404 error) and JUST saw that there was a link via Twitter at 6:34PM.

This year is way more frustrating and maddening than any other year.
gardenvarietyghost
I'm new!

Post by gardenvarietyghost »

Saying that the issue was because people had multiple instances of the page open is really blaming the applicants for something that is ultimately on your end. Of course people will try to maximize their chances of getting in for a massive FCFS application system that is notorious for crashing. The solution is to stop using the Anime Boston servers, which clearly can't handle the load of the applicants, or even better switch to juried or lottery like ALL similar sized cons. In addition, waiting for 3 hours to say you're delaying apps is incredibly cruel to applicants. Most of us wasted 3 hours of our life refreshing the page, because previous experience said the application would be up around 1. Some people had to specifically take time out of their schedules to apply, and by not posting immediately you screwed them over.
Alohom0ra
I'm new!

Post by Alohom0ra »

My suggestion is, get rid of FCFS right now. You REALLY need to start asking for artists portfolios during applications. Honestly, your whole alley could be filled with stolen work for all you know. I know that's not the case but you never know. It's a huge problem though I think should be addressed. So after everyone fills out an application WITH a portfolio and everything checks out, I think you guys should sort them into categories like how ACEN sorts them. Do artists specialize in prints, crafts, charms? ect. And then you guys put them into a lottery system. If you're worried about the amount of applicants, maybe only have it open for a short while. Paying for your table I believe should be limited to a few days aswell as opposed to a few weeks or a month. Artists that want to get in will have the money to pay for it right away, don't stretch it out in anticipation for others getting off the waitlist when it's not going to happen.
These are just opinions not suggestions and congrats to the artists that got in. I know for a fact I did not. This was the worst applying year I have ever done and I've only been applying for 3 years. Still have never gotten in.
centimetre

Post by centimetre »

Oops sorry misclicked, sorry for the double posts
egyptianruin
Veteran Poster

Post by egyptianruin »

I heard that if your birthdate was wrong it doesn't matter. I mean seriously guys. That was the part that held me up on the application. If it didn't matter why put it on the damn form. I am so upset by this whole fiasco. I cpuld have put I was a month old and been fine and been faster. It took forever to scroll to 1979 because I am an old biddy. Now I find out I could have put my son's DOB and been fine and dandy selling at tje age of 9.
Selling kawaii, kitsch and often geeky items.

cutenkitschy.com
yuari

Post by yuari »

I also heard about that. Come on guys, it's really not fair for the people who took the time to write down the correct info. That 1 or 2 seconds could mean a world of difference for the applicants when literally hundreds of people apply within the first minute. Please keep the application process fair and professional.