Regarding admissable fanart

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
sneakycreature
I'm new!

Regarding admissable fanart

Post by sneakycreature »

Hey guys! I'm looking into doing my first AA and I am currently lining up some fan work for my table. I know that some fandom creators have requested that fanart not be sold at cons (ie Undertale, Homestuck) and usually animes don't have this restriction but as I plan to have a wide range of fan work from TV, video games, anime, and some books/comics, I was wondering if there's a more definitive list of fandoms I should avoid? Figured this was the best place to ask since y'all have more experience than I do. Thanks in advance!
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Re: Regarding admissable fanart

Post by pulsedemon »

Rather than specific stuff (I'm sure there are specific instances where creators have a known opinion of fan art), I'll point to some stuff in the FAQ:

http://www.animeboston.com/artists/arti ... ey_faq/#16

http://www.animeboston.com/artists/arti ... ey_faq/#19

Generally, if something appears to be traced, don't bring it. If it contains emblems or logos or something, don't bring it. If you just etch like Pokeyman Go onto some pint glasses, please please don't bring it.

One thing that I was contacted about specifically was Overwatch stuff on shirts. There was one person that had one Overwatch thing on a shirt in the Alley and I got a message from Blizzard about it. That's also kind of a general thing I've heard - shirts are more likely to be licensed product and are some of the easiest deals to work out for licensing, so that's the first thing that will get any attention. Stuff like prints of artwork is a lot lower profile and generally nobody cares too much.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!