Power for electronics in the art show?

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Power for electronics in the art show?

Post by tetsujin »

Hi there, I'm working on some 3-D pieces for the art show, and they all include some electronics. The electronics are not essential to the pieces but they do make a really big difference in the effect of the work.

Normally I'd just run the display on a battery pack: but the problem is, one of my pieces takes a fair bit of power, something to the tune of 400-500mA. It's not really that much power but over the course of the weekend it does add up. I think I could run that all weekend on a bank of 4 D cell batteries, but if I could use a power outlet, the whole problem would be much simpler, I could just hook it up to a cell phone charger and plug it in.

However, I understand that, while there are bound to be power outlets in the vicinity, Anime Boston may not be willing or able to let me use one. There's safety issues ranging from tripping over cords to possible fire hazards, capacity problems if everybody shows up wanting an outlet, and so on. Or you just may not have a policy on this, in which case maybe you can't provide one 3 weeks before the con.

I also want to say up-front that I understand that sometimes con staff can't commit fully to promises in advance of the con. So if the answer on the forums is "we can probably accommodate you somehow" and then the answer at the con is "I'm sorry, we can't do that after all" - I understand.

So first question: Any chance I could use an outlet? If the answer is "no", I totally understand... But you don't get things you don't ask for, right?
And second question: Assuming the answer to outlet access is "no", would it be OK to have my piece running on this fairly substantial battery pack? (4 alkaline D cells most likely. I plan to stick very safe battery technologies.) I'd most likely try to figure out a way to stack the display piece on top of the battery pack, so the whole thing is a single unit (in case it needs to be moved, etc.)
Final question: Assuming one of the above solutions is OK, is there anything you'd like me to incorporate into the system? A clearly marked "off" switch for instance?
Last edited by tetsujin on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Re: Power for electronics in the art show?

Post by pulsedemon »

I ordered a power drop for the Art Show to make sure laptops or whatever's needed are able to be charged since we need to keep records of bids and stuff. I don't know if we can rig up anything coming out of that, though. I'm just not sure how everything will exactly be laid out.

You could order a power drop, too, but at $153 at the show, I'm guessing you probably don't want to do that.

Vague 'no promises' here right now. I know that doesn't help much, unfortunately. I'll mention it to Kristen, in case she doesn't check here for a bit.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Post by tetsujin »

pulsedemon wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:19 pm You could order a power drop, too, but at $153 at the show, I'm guessing you probably don't want to do that.
Yeah not so much. :)
Vague 'no promises' here right now. I know that doesn't help much, unfortunately. I'll mention it to Kristen, in case she doesn't check here for a bit.
Well I appreciate the response. For now I'll be looking into building a battery pack...
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

At least getting the subject out there is helpful for us to know how to arrange things, if we can do it!

tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Post by tetsujin »

Yeah here's hoping. I'll come prepared with an AC adapter and an extension cord, just in case.
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

Thanks!

Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

From the Anime Boston Artists' Alley FAQ

Can I get electricity?
Yes, if you're willing to pay for it.
Due to being located in Hall C, electricity is now even available in a limited quantity unless you purchase a power drop. It won't matter where in the room you are, but if you tell us ahead of time, the cost is only $95 and you can split that with table mates or neighbors.

However, if you wait until the last minute pre-convention or at convention, the cost increases (you won't be paying us, you will be paying the convention center.)

If you use electricity, all wires must be taped down with gaffer's tape anywhere anybody may trip over it (including yourself). NO OTHER TYPES OF TAPE will be accepted by the Hynes. Make sure you clean it up when you leave for the weekend.
slippers
AB Staff

Post by slippers »

Fetch wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:36 pm From the Anime Boston Artists' Alley FAQ
This question was about the Art Show, not the Artists' Alley.
Andrew Guertin
Technical Staff Area Lead 2024
Technical Staff Area Lead 2023
Technical Staff Shift Lead 2022

General Tech Staff 2020-2021
Information Desk Staff 2019
Sheraton 500 Shift Lead 2018
Senior Technical Staff 2016-17
Junior Technical Staff 2014-15
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

Thanks, Andrew!

tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Post by tetsujin »

I don't know if there were any plans among the staff to make an outlet available to me, but if so, I'm sorry to say I won't need it. I just didn't make enough headway on the project in question. Maybe next time. In any case, thank you for your support.
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

Not a problem! It's an interesting question to get!