Group Tabling

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
BUCA
I'm new!

Group Tabling

Post by BUCA »

Hey there,

We are from Boston University Comic Arts Club, and we would like to know what the details are in regards to tabling as a group in the artist's alley.

Any help would be appreciated :D
kupobox
I'm new!

Re: Group Tabling

Post by kupobox »

Hi! This is a representative from BU Comic Arts providing some more details on our initial inquiry.

Basically, we're planning on applying for an artist's table which we would run on behalf of our club members. We would like to have individual members submit prints and other items which we would sell collectively at our table. We were hoping to give proceeds back to each artist for the amount of product that they sold, while a percentage of proceeds would also go back into the BU Comic Arts treasury. We'd also like to sell some collaborative zines in addition to individual artists' work.

We're planning this because we want to provide our members with an accessible way to sell their art (running your own table can be scary!) while simultaneously fundraising for our organization.

So our questions are:

1) Are we allowed to do this?
2) If not, what kinds of adjustments could we make to this model so that we would be able to participate as a club?
3) If we participate as a club, how would we register for a tax ID?

I hope this post clarifies what information we're looking for! Thank you!
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

hi there!
Sorry about the delay, the artists forum doesn't get as much attention here as it used to so I forget to check it as often!

Okay, you guys are selling art, so we have no problem with the group tabling. It would only be a standard app set of tables though, you wouldn't fit into the Pro Row which is the place that we DO have a problem with group tabling.

things to note:

1 -depending on the size of space that you get, limits the number of people who can be behind the table at one time due to crowding of your neighbors sort of issue.

2 - the age of your participants. We have an 18 or older age requirement - i dont know if your club is a highschool club, college club or just a general, all inclusive club, but please keep that age requirement in mind.

3 - as for tax id purposes, we require that each artist who has stuff being sold has their own id and submit it through the provided form. Apparently, it IS possible that the DOR could send representatives to the con to 'check' on the tables. IF they see multiple names, ask for proof that you've submitted paperwork, and find that not everyone has them...that could be problematic.

Usually - as far as *I* know and i'm NOT an expert on taxes!! - the only times a tax ID is shared is when the artists in question own a business together and then it's the BUSINESS that has an ID.

hope this helps :D thanks for your interest and good luck to all of you :D
Nikki O'Shea Bean
http://www.dragonpressgraphics.com
http://www.bardscomic.com

Artists Alley Manager 2008-2017
Artists Alley Co-Manager 2005-07
Attendee 2004
Artists Alley Accidental Volunteer 2003
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

This seems actually a bit more complicated, depending on whether you're acting as yourselves or agents of the club, which is a part of the school (and therefore everything is owned by the school). I think you'd probably have to get specific permission from the school to do so. I have literally no idea, so maybe check with your adviser to start.

We're required to collect a tax ID that's been registered with the DoR for sales tax purposes. Even if you're selling stuff that isn't taxable, like clothing below the dollar-value limit, we're still required to get a tax ID and then you report to MA that you only sold stuff that's not subject to sales tax. We're required to get a tax ID from you and that's it. We're not required to validate anything and we're also not required to help you figure it out. I've made some phone calls in the past, though, just to get the basics that cover the vast majority of participants so we're not completely leaving everyone out in the cold to figure it out themselves. These rules change from state to state, so it can really get confusing for people that travel to a few different shows, even moreso for our Canadian friends (or anyone from outside the US).

We've got some information up at http://www.animeboston.com/exhibits/exhibitor_taxid/. The safest way, if you're just registering yourself, is to basically make a small business and then generate a tax ID for that business. This way, if anything gets jacked up, it's not your SSID that's on the line. Granted, someone could conceivably steal the 'identity' of your business, but it's a layer of protection for you and anyone else in your group.

There was some change in the law about this stuff in 2010 that changed the requirements for reporting tax IDs for events like ours. In the past, it was only required if we were to run more than 3 events in a year, but that was changed to be just one event. It's not something we've been excited about, but it just meant we had to set up the infrastructure (and maintain it) to the state's requirement for storing 'sensitive' information and then compile the report after each event (luckily, we only run one event) of everyone that was selling stuff as an 'exhibitor' at the show (which everyone in the Artists' Alley is). That's also why we have the rule about not selling stuff at the swap meet, since we're not collecting tax IDs for everyone in there.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
kupobox
I'm new!

Post by kupobox »

Hello again,

Thank you so much for your help!

I made a call to my university's student activities office and was told that if we table at AB as a group affiliated with Boston University, we might be eligible to use BU's tax-exempt status. I would be able to submit an ST-2 or ST-5 certificate of exemption to you. Would either of these be acceptable in place of an exhibitor tax ID?

As an addendum - I have a feeling that these tax questions won't be completely resolved today - so when we submit our application for the Artist's Alley tomorrow should I assume it's okay to apply for a table on behalf of BU Comic Arts rather than myself as an individual?
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

Well, the ID should be on the ST-2, so we'd use that and you'd post it somewhere (the same way everyone's supposed to) and I guess not charge sales tax. We just have to report a number unless you're not selling anything at all. I mean, it could be the wrong number (again we aren't required to validate), but then someone from the DoR might get in touch with you about it. We're also required to submit contact information.

We're not required to get on anyone's case about all of this stuff (I only get on someone's case if they're charging sales tax when they shouldn't be) and it's ultimately your responsibility to follow all the rules for your situation. I thank you for checking into things on your end! I don't want to answer for Nikki, but it's fine by me. I'm going to give the 'final' approval to Nikki in this case.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

this all sounds good to me, but our form DOES require a birthdate, so someones going to have to be the 'front' of this operation, unless i misunderstood the question?
Nikki O'Shea Bean
http://www.dragonpressgraphics.com
http://www.bardscomic.com

Artists Alley Manager 2008-2017
Artists Alley Co-Manager 2005-07
Attendee 2004
Artists Alley Accidental Volunteer 2003
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

kupobox wrote:Hello again,

I made a call to my university's student activities office and was told that if we table at AB as a group affiliated with Boston University, we might be eligible to use BU's tax-exempt status. I would be able to submit an ST-2 or ST-5 certificate of exemption to you. Would either of these be acceptable in place of an exhibitor tax ID?

I am 200% out of my lane answering this. That being said an ST-2 or ST-5 just states that your organization is exempt from PAYING sales tax. This does not exempt you from COLlECTING sales tax. Anime Boston has our own ST-2 and is tax exempt however we must collect sales tax on the items that we sell (that are not clothes or similar non taxable items) at our merchandise table in the Dealers Room and report that (and pay it back to) the state as appropriate. YMMV however an ST-2 or ST-5 is not the same as a taxpayer ID.
Michael Lee
Director of Technical Operations
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

kupobox wrote:Hello again,

I am 200% out of my lane answering this. That being said an ST-2 or ST-5 just states that your organization is exempt from PAYING sales tax. This does not exempt you from COLlECTING sales tax. Anime Boston has our own ST-2 and is tax exempt however we must collect sales tax on the items that we sell (that are not clothes or similar non taxable items) at our merchandise table in the Dealers Room and report that (and pay it back to) the state as appropriate. YMMV however an ST-2 or ST-5 is not the same as a taxpayer ID.
Michael Lee
Director of Technical Operations