Artist App questions and... what are my chances?!

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
AimeeWoodWorks
Getting the hang of this...

Artist App questions and... what are my chances?!

Post by AimeeWoodWorks »

Hi!

My name is Aimee, I'm a long time con-goer (AB only the last 2 years, but I LOVE the people here, you are all wonderful), and I think I'm ready to take the next step and start, ahem, selling cosplay supplies! I make wooden props, metal armor, I sew, I work with clay, paints, anything. I would love to sell in the Artist Alley for AB 2014. To the point:

1. What does the application entail? I've read through the materials and FAQ... but I'm still not entirely clear on how artists are selected. Do we just 'put our names into the hat' so to speak, or do we submit samples of our work? I've heard it is a 'race' to apply as well, so is it first come, first serve?

2. When do we hear back? The FAQ explains the second stage, but doesn't give a timeline for it. Is it a few months until we know for sure? Anyone who has participated before, when did you learn for sure?

3. Will my inventory be successful? I want to focus on making and selling wooden props (keyblades, gunblades, etc) and I was in touch with a staff member who said selling wooden props would be perfectly fine(not against the rules), but ...my 'wares' aren't what I've normally seen at an artist alley. Anyone have any experience with this? My props would likely be priced upwards of at least $75. I would have other things to sell in more affordable ranges, (basic props like pokeballs and potion bottles maybe), but I want to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for any and all feedback, I appreciate it :) Hope to see you there!

Edit: Right after I posted this another question sprang into my head. So:

4. For the best chance of getting in, what size table should I request?? Honestly, I could probably make do with a minimum of 4 feet, but a full table- so I can fully display my (rather large, 6' maximum length) props might be better suited. Does the size that you request effect your chances of getting in? (Even though you have the option to select a 'minimum'?) What size do you suggest I request?

...thanks again. <3
Faceman
AB Executive

Re: Artist App questions and... what are my chances?!

Post by Faceman »

Try giving this thread a read through for an explanation of how the Application Process works. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13803
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Re: Artist App questions and... what are my chances?!

Post by Kogarashi »

As for wares (and to an extent table size), I would recommend bringing smaller items you can charge less for in addition to your large items, if only to give a price range as well as variety. :) And potion bottles are cool and could go over really well with a lot of people, whether or not they use them for their cosplay that weekend. With the size, go ahead and put the maximum size you want, but I would definitely recommend listing the absolute smallest size you're willing to work with to improve your chances. It doesn't necessarily help getting in, but it helps with not getting skipped when Nikki is playing Table Tetris.

As for when we hear back (since I'm not sure the other thread was clear on this), the reason there isn't a timeline on the FAQ is because it's entirely dependent on Nikki (and anyone she has helping her) and how long it takes to play said game of Table Tetris. So if she's got lots of free time and things go easily, it could take very little time at all. If she's supremely busy or the setup is particularly trying, it could take longer. As early as registration is this year, even if it takes longer there should still be plenty of time for artists (hopefully).