Official Art Alley Feedback

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
Tuberat
AB Staff

Official Art Alley Feedback

Post by Tuberat »

Hey folks!

Its that time of year...we're all decompressing, recovering and trying to process our whole entire weekends into a few words.

Here's the official feedback thread. Here are my thoughts so far (and the range about into different territories).

Good:

Traffic flow was better, safer. People were able to move more easily. people with big costumes were able to come in, and my staffers and i didn't have to yell ourselves hoarse breaking up groups of people because now there was room to get around them (MOST of the time. I occasionally ran into a few knots. Yes. we still had knots and congestion even WITH all that aisle space)

We made less at con badges this year then in previous years - which means that you fine folks were able to keep me better updated on who was actually going to help you out this year before i ran the badge making party - this means less waste and less scrambling about (and i think, possibly, the fact that i had to go back in and fix the badge box after the badge making party because badges were placed in the wrong slots by someone may have helped in that.)

Pro Row seemed to go over well by most of those who participated and a few who didn't participate were interested in going that route as well. we're definitely interested in bringing that back, but perhaps with a few tweaks....

Multiple entrances on opposite sides of the room, shared elevators with the dealers room that were also on (and not the same walls as the other entrances) opposite sides of the room, i think also helped to spread OUT the traffic flow to even it out throughout the room - this probably helped the 'congestion of knots" certain areas got in previous years.

Bathrooms INSIDE the room....with water fountain right next to it.

We were able to get a couple other signs put up by Saturday morning to remind people of the new location of the room.

We had a microphone for announcements. that was very useful, and a lot less stressful, on the AA staff, and we were able to be heard throughout the room as needed. we tried to keep them to a minimum necessary for what was going on, and low key, but capable of being heard. with a bit of humor added in once in a while.

We seemed to have MUCH less trouble with getting artists INTO the hynes during the early setup hours, which i think had a lot to do with having your registration badges also saying artists on them. that experiment seemed to go over well. Anyone who did NOT have that on their badges meant that they did not pre-register at all, or i was told too late to change it OR the name i was given was incorrect in some way shape or form (misspelling, or a nickname)

Cement floors - clean ups for accidents were much easier on everyone. and we won't be charged for it.

New location had the perfect nook for the Art Show - it's presence didn't make it harder to plan a reasonable layout for the Alley.

Bad
No other Water Stations. (I did ask about 'em)

Cement floors. I'm bringing different shoes next year.

No electricity available unless you ordered it. At least, however, if you ordered it, you didn't need to worry about what part of the room you were in, it was very versatile since there were many power drop ready locations.

Part of the room had to deal with noise from the neighboring room. From where i was at, it seemed that it was only really an issue during concerts, which there weren't that many of, and even then, it could have been much worse, but we understand that it could be hard to deal with.

Sheraton cut through NOT open during Setup hours (this, i think, was an oversight. it hadn't been planned for)

People didn't read the program book to see that we had moved, and how to get there, so traffic this year probably could have been better. (hence the signs above)

There were still a fair number of assistants/fellow artists (who were not the artist who had signed up -and even a couple of those as well) who did not 'know' they had to check in. Please remember, it's in the FAQ that all people listed, no matter who they are, need to be checked in. It doesn't matter how you got listed, if you are listed and could be left alone at the table (even if you don't plan it, if it can happen) then you need to check in to get the second badge.

SOME folks are still getting upset when a badge check was run. REMEMBER, this is done for multiple reasons: A) because someone can just walk in and take your table before you get there, and how is that fair to you (or anyone else who didn't get in, for that matter?)? And yes, it has happened multiple times in just the last couple of years. B) by doing the badge checks, we caught several folks who 'didn't know' they had to check in. if we hadn't done a badge check, we could have sold their table right out from under them by Saturday morning because we'd have marked them as a no show. And its in our rules, that they'd have to vacate as a penalty for failure to follow our rules.

LASTLY (continuing the above point)- YOU may think you are memorable to every staffer at the con as being an artist. I'm sorry, but we have both a staff turnover AND an artist turnover rate to contend with. While some of us might recognize most of you, not all of us are going to recognize ALL (or any) of you - and some of you are here one year but not the next. For fresh eyes, we had different staffers run the checks at different parts of the day. that means we had old hands who knew you, and new folks who did not. That meant that some folks asked you for badges if they couldn't clearly see them without bothering you, and some didn't need to. There is no reason to get upset with the staff who are trying to protect your interests. thank you.

The Ugly
Bag checks on artists - normally wasn't an issue, but some artists were forced to open cash boxes before the admiring eyes of attendees. That is definitely an unsafe situation. we're aware of it. TRUST me. it's not going unnoticed. Something was said at con multiple times and will continue even after con is over. This is something that is going higher up.

safety scissors being first peace tied one day and confiscated the next. inconsistent policies hurt all of us (and, y'know, SAFETY scissors....). That's something else going before the higher ups.

Reports of 3 separate issues - from a multitude of people. some took longer to handle than others, but were handled after some investigation. another is still in investigation. names have been noted. Everyone we talked to DID seem to be willing to comply with any measures we took, and that is very much appreciated by the staff. Some of the issues fell on some VERY technical gray lines areas....which made a lot of the process for dealing with it very very difficult. My thanks to those who have had the patience in waiting for us to deal with the issues, and for those willing to discuss the finer points of legalities with the security staffer who was called in as fresh eyes for the situations.

STICKERS ON THE WALLS of the Sheraton cut through hallway coming into the Alley. We have established that it was not from an artists table in our alley, as nothing matched the sticker in question. However, this is a reminder of WHY stickers are not allowed to be physically given away or sold at con and we appreciate your cooperation in the matter. We were lucky to have had a staffer find them....and were able to remove them without harm to the premises. and that it wasn't the hynes staff finding them in the hynes who specifically requested us to make sure that stickers aren't available for JUST THIS REASON.

All in all, i know my sales were low, but i had a good time. We appreciate all your feedback if you would be kind enough to give us the good WITH the bad (and not just the bad). Please appreciate that not all issues may be possible to address, but we will do our best. Please also keep in mind that i may not respond right away - i may just allow discussions to take place and then clear up a few questions if there are specific things i can clear up...but we will be walking away with the feedback to discuss in length with other members of our team at a later date.

I HOPE i did not miss anything. i got home today and crashed for 2 1/2 hours because i was sooooo tired. But i wanted to get this up now, before a different thread was started. Once that happens, either i risk that my post won't be read by everyone if i just respond to the one that's already up, or i split the threads....which is confusing and i think all the feedback should be together (with one exception)

So yeah, other than those 3 things, and a few things outside of ANYONE'S control, i think we had a successful con and i hope everyone had as good a time as possible and thanks for coming! :D you guys were good, you kept your areas cleaned, and you cleared out pretty fast on Sunday, and without leaving any sort of unreasonable mess behind (i had a moment of panic in one area till i realized that it looked like the hynes staff had spilled a garbage bag during their sweep through) and i didn't get any complaints from staff or attendees or artists about the behavior of another artist... I love having a community and thank you all!
Nikki O'Shea Bean
http://www.dragonpressgraphics.com
http://www.bardscomic.com

Artists Alley Manager 2008-2017
Artists Alley Co-Manager 2005-07
Attendee 2004
Artists Alley Accidental Volunteer 2003
SailorAstera
Determined Poster

Re: Official Art Alley Feedback

Post by SailorAstera »

Thanks as always for being so candid, prompt and informative! :D

This was a good year for me. I heard some of the horror stories for security, but it was smooth sailing for me. I had 0 problems with any of the Hynes staff or AB staff. I was waved through an 'express' line to the bag checks at least once by showing my AA badge.

Regarding the alley, changing rooms was a little confusing for people but that's to be expected. I think a little more signage was in order and I was really happy to see the ART ALLEY -> sign that was put up over by the escalators later in the weekend. :D

The space behind and beside the tables was magical. I didn't feel like I was intruding on anyone else's space and I had lots of room to be the messy person I naturally am. The isles being so wide was nice on Sat afternoon when it was REALLY busy and all that space was used up, but for most of the weekend I felt it was just a bit TOO wide. It really allowed people to walk quite far from the tables, and I think most artists agree that at least being close enough to see the things on the table is handy for the 1-5 seconds we might have to catch your attention with our shiny things.

I also sort of feel that the wider isles encouraged people to ignore the "No Photos in the Alley" rules. There was enough space to take photos without really disrupting things, so people seemed to be doing it a lot more than I think they ordinarily would.

The announcements that I could actually hear were quite handy. I appreciated the occasional attempts at humor.

I was a little disappointed that my art show item was not left in the place I put it (since I liked the place I put it, and it was moved to the back of the show where I was worried it might not be seen as well/often). I'm sure that it was probably moved for a reason but I didn't really expect it so I was kind of sad about it.

I didn't mind badge checks. They didn't seem too often for me, and people saying "Badges up artists!" as they were coming allowed me to pull it up and have it ready so they didn't have to interrupt me if I was talking with a customer.

I loved having a bathroom in the alley and wow did they do a good job keeping it clean.

Can't wait for next AB :D
~*Sarah*~
AdorkaBows | AdorkaStock

"In the name of the Moon, I will punish you!"
pinkplaidrobot
Getting the hang of this...

Post by pinkplaidrobot »

We had an amazing time at this con.

We had 0 issues with bag checks. Registration was simple and fast. The cement floors weren't an issue. The spacious atmosphere was AMAZING!! Overall, this con was flawless! We loved every second and this was by far our best con this year!

You guys are amazing! Please, please, please keep the pro-row!!! It was awesome!! ^_^
Shattered-Earth
Experienced Poster

Post by Shattered-Earth »

I was a regular non pro-row artist and I thought it was amazing! It was my first year at AB And I REALLY WANT TO COME BACK! The spacing around the edges seemed great to me, i totally see what SailorAstera meant by the spacing in the middle "crosses" though, it was easier for me to just run down the aisle without looking which could be good or bad.

I was also one of the artists against the blue wall, and i have to say over all it wasn't that bad, it's been worst at other cons. The wall did a pretty decent job because i could still converse with customers which is the most important part. I've had to yell over music behind a flimsy curtain before so I'm thinking that wall is the best they can do. And those were full on concerts, not just little garage bands, versus other cons where i could be across the room and have to scream over the music. I mean if it could be improved that would be great, but it really wasn't a bother.

More bothersome was the fact that there was absolutely no reception against that wall for me. I use AT&T so i'm sure it was partially a bad carrier, but just in general it was hard to get in contact with people if they wanted to text me. It's not really a staff problem or something you could fix though like the wall it self i'm guessing! ON THE PLUS SIDE THOUGH, the wifi was PHENOMENAL! I only had it drop a few short times through out the weekend and it easily replaced data for using square and checking email etc. Seriously, wowwww . I'm so glad you guys had free wifi :D

The only directly staff related suggestion or "complaint" (not really) I could give is if possible since you now have a microphone / PA system (And i'm assuming you hadn't ever had one since it was mentioned it was new), it would actually be really awesome if you could periodically remind people that taking pictures without our permission is NOT OKAY! I know this is already stated both in the rule book AND in the sign in front i believe, but who reads right? T_T I've had these announcements at previous cons and it really cuts down on that shady stuff, and it reminds everyone that if you want to start poopy with an artist the staff will be on the artist's side. I had at least two snarky people try to take pictures without asking and when politely asked what they were doing they got really rude and defensive, one was even trying to surreptitiously take a picture of *ME* without asking, SUPER CREEPY.

I totally know staff can do as much as they can and people will never follow the rules, but an announcement every once in a while kind of really gives people even less of a "oh i didn't know!" attitude when they do do it >_<. Just a little thing that's once again no fault of staff, but just something I always think about at cons and thought would be nice here, especially since the PA system is good and audible.
DaveTCN

Post by DaveTCN »

This year was absolutely amazing! Loved the amount of space behind tables and in the aisles. We had exactly two gripes:

1) Security. Thursday night we were waved through, Friday morning our bags were sniffed by the dog and we were allowed through. Saturday morning our duffel bag was opened, cash box removed, opened and rifled through by a security officer. Several coins and bills spilled out, which I was not allowed to touch or pick up - the officer did it. Not a pleasant experience. Sunday morning the bag was opened again, but this time the officer asked me to open the cashbox - which I was able to do without spilling anything - he looked inside, then had me remove the upper tray so he could see underneath. He didn't touch it at all. Better than Saturday but not as good as Thurs or Friday.

2) Table width. I didn't take any measurements, but the tables this year seemed a few inches narrower than in years past. Not a big deal, just an oddity. Of course I could be losing my mind and imagining things - did any other veterans notice this?

Other than that, this was the best con experience we've ever had. Nikki, you (and all the staff!) do incredible work year after year. Thanks for making this Alley so great!
snapesgirl34
Expert Poster

Post by snapesgirl34 »

I had a wonderful time! The staff was very polite and courteous (although we had a little snafu in the beginning when we went to get our convention badges there was some confusion over whether we should wait in like or not, so if you got a phone call from the convention security woman working the info desk that was my fault, sorry!), and some of the best staff I've ever worked with at a con. When we were short on helpers they even helped us carry our stuff downstairs!!! It was so sweet of them. :) Thank you so much guys!!

I also loved the new room, it was easier to get to, I got to listen in on the band practice, and the set up with the wider aisles was awesome! it was so nice to have cramped tiny aisles. Security was also really on the ball this year, every year we've had trouble with Hynes security not letting us in, or sending us to the wrong place or something, but this year they knew exactly what they were doing and were super helpful and polite. So kudos on that! All in all great con. :)
snapesgirl34
Expert Poster

Post by snapesgirl34 »

Also, I LOVED how much space we had, I was so excited to be against the wall. More space behind the table made everything sooooooo much easier and it was nice to spread out.

I guess my only complain is that our neighbors were almost never at their table, but I don't think that's anything staff could control. They didn't even bother to show up on Sunday! It was sad to see a table wasted like that.
mayshing
I'm new!

Post by mayshing »

My space have a wall behind me. +1
My space has enough light +1
Small gaps between tables that I can walk in and out of +1
My table is in the outter ring straight down the hall +1
Big trash can near by +1
Made great sales +1
Restroom nearby +1
Reception signal is ok +1

Dislikes: -1
Loud bass and music from main event hall -1

Netural:
Bag check by dogs and officers +0
No trouble from it.
Misunderstood the fact I needed a second badge from AA, but AA staff came around to explain it. +0

That's about it. :)
KoriMichele

Post by KoriMichele »

This was probably the best artist alley experience I've had to date! It was just a dream having all the space behind the tables, and ample room to get in and out of the islands. The attendees seemed more mature and courteous than past years and other cons. All of the staff was incredibly helpful and attentive. I was thrilled to have working wifi. I really don't have a single complaint. Thanks to everyone who made the alley run so smoothly this year.
----------
My website: KoriMichele.com
EdenBenton
I'm new!

Post by EdenBenton »

This was my second year in AnimeBoston's Artist Alley and it was AMAZING!

PROS:

Last year, I barely scrabbled my way into the Alley with a 2-foot space. I was selling jewelry and sketch commissions, and made the best use I could of my scant 24 inches, but naturally my visibility wasn't ideal. Still, I managed to turn a profit and considered my first AA experience in Boston to be a success.

This year, however, when I saw the announcement for Pro Row go up, I jumped at the chance to participate! I pay my rent with what I make at conventions, so being able to get an 8-foot table with prime placement seemed totally worth the increased price. Since I had so much more space to work with, I was able to display prints this year, along with examples of my sketch commissions AND a sizable display of jewelry. Plus, I was placed at table 002, so traffic flow was fantastic! I made 3X as much as I did last year, even after my expenses; Friday's sales alone beat my grand total from last year. It was crazy! I have to say, I REALLY hope Pro Row stays as a permanent part of the Alley. As an artist who is more than a hobbyist but still doesn't make enough to handle the expense of operating in the Dealers Room, PR is the ideal setup for someone like me.

Additionally, I LOVED the location of the new room. It may seem like a small thing to be grateful for, but I was thrilled that there was hardly any carpet to deal with when transporting my con kit to the AA. One of the most annoying hassles of lugging a heavy artist alley kit is having to drag two or three suitcases full of stock, metal grids, and table supplies through endless halls covered in thick, plush carpet. The AA room itself was fantastic, too! Sooooo much space! Even when I spread out behind my table, I never worried about my mess accidentally tripping up other artists passing behind my table. There was room for everyone and then some.

I also really loved that all announcements could be heard so clearly. The mic system worked great!

CONS:

I didn't mind the bag check process too much, initially. Given recent events, I didn't think that checking bags was unreasonable up until the last day, when I had the zipper pouch I keep my cash in opened in full view of the rest of the attendees milling about in the line. THAT really set me on edge, but there wasn't much I could do about it at the time. It would be nice if vendors/artists could go through a separate area for bag check in the future.

Also, as much as I LOVED the space behind the tables, I was placed along a wall and more than once I saw attendees using the corners, which were essentially behind the artists' tables, as hangout spots. I usually don't make too much of a fuss about artists having friends and whatnot behind the tables; sometimes you don't have a dedicated assistant for a con, but one of your friends shows up and you realize it's your only chance for a bathroom break during the 12-hour day. I get that. But having completely un-vouched-for attendees just kicking back against the wall did make me a little uneasy, plus having them lounging on the floor did make for a tripping hazard.

The concerts next door did make for some eardrum rattling, but overall it wasn't too bad, since the music wasn't a constant thing.

OVERALL:

AB is definitely the con I look forward to selling at the most, out of all the conventions I do year-round. I'm based in Pittsburgh, so getting to Boston is not easy or cheap, but the incredible smoothness and efficiency with which Nikki runs the Alley makes it one of the most hassle-free conventions for artists, hands down. I tried to make the most of the opportunity to be part of Pro Row, so I made sure to arrive very prepared, and the result was that I sold out of a number of product lines, was able to restock on art supplies before I even got back home, and I'm two months ahead on my rent. If only every con afforded me as positive an experience!! I can't wait for AB next year :)
JupiterAscending16
Expert Poster

Post by JupiterAscending16 »

I just wanted to let you all know that I really apperciated you moving the Artist Alley to the second floor to big room where live gaming was. It was much easier to walk around, take pictures of people, and look at the merchandise without getting bumped around or shoved. Please keep Artists Alley here for next year!
Holly Medeiros

Event Photography Staff AnimeBoston 2022

Celebrating 15 years of attending AnimeBoston!
I am a decoy

Post by I am a decoy »

Nikki - you did an amazing job with everything! I think it was well setup, your staff handled complaints and questions with speed and expertise, space was amazing, and all the artists were super friendly and a joy to spend the weekend with! I especially loved doing an impromptu item swap with all the other artists once we closed (Can that be a thing? Like, can the alley shut down at 3:00 and then from 3:00 - 3:30 is leftover inventory swap? 'cause it was awesome!).

For bag check, Thursday night we had so much stuff they used the dog, so for the rest of the convention I always just said "I'm part of Artist Alley. I get sniffed by Wily <the dog>." All but one time they sent me through to the dog, so it was fast and easy. Saturday morning I had to go through the line with my money box, but they just said "Are you a dealer?" and didn't touch it when I said yes. I think a separate line for artists or dealers is very unnecessary, but instead security should be instructed to send artist's and dealers past the dog. Even if we only have a purse, we generally just need to speed through the line and get back to our tables.

As for pictures, I did notice the open space made people feel more welcomed to take pictures without asking, though many still asked me. I don't sell prints, so I didn't really care, but I could see that worrying some people as you don't know if someone is just going to use the picture they took to print your art without paying anything for it!

I was near the noise wall and I stopped noticing it shortly after it started up, but I was always talking to someone (Be it a customer or an assistance) to help me ignore it.

I badge check went great, imo. I only heard someone say it over the mic once, so if people were shouting about it a lot it wasn't a big deal to me. All the badge checks weren't intrusive at all, either. One person checked while I was talking to a customer and waited until I was finished to be like "I just wanted to let you know I checked your badge and you're all set!"

The absolute worst part of the con was the loading dock Sunday afternoon. I know most artists didn't have to use it, but all of the dealers, the artists who needed it, the concert people, and the union members cleaning were using those elevators and getting on the dock at once. I also heard a lot people saying that the union members were giving artists and dealers a hard time about being on the dock. This is probably more of a dealer's room issue, but dock times seem like they need to be assigned on the way out. The way in, it was empty and awesome!

Another thing that may be more of a personal problem - in the squares in the middle of the room, if one person ordered a power dropped, they dropped the whole square. It left me feeling really torn as to whether I should police the square and be like "Hey - I paid a lot of money for this power to be here, so if you want to charge your phone you should pay me!" or if I should just like "Well, it's just your phone, so that's no big deal". Compared to all the power I was using, a cell phone was nothing. However, other people specifically got the power so their phones could be charged so they could accept credit cards all weekend, so it is a bit of a slap in the face for other people to just use their power without paying. I kinda felt like it's not a vendor's responsibility to talk to all the vendors in a power dropped area, let them know they need to pay to use power, check power usage, collect money, and return money to the paying vendor... but at the same time it's not really the staff's responsibility either. If the whole room was power dropped, how much would table prices go up by? I think most everyone would at least charge their cell phones if they had the chance!

Also - was I supposed to weapon check my scissors? Whoops! Well, the table next to me borrowed them and ran out in a hurry on Sunday night, so they're gone anyways! But still... Scissors... They're important. Taking an artist's scissors is like taking their soul! ... or something.

All in all - it was a lot of fun! I loved meeting and talking to everyone!

EDIT: OH! I also noted that the quality of the work this year was AMAZING compared to years past and other cons. My friends used to do the AB alley and stopped because they said the first-come-first-serve system of getting in made the whole alley feel really amateurish, but this year most people seemed very professional! I'm not sure if this was due to the pro row or more professional artists spamming the refresh button when the application went live, but the vibe was really great.
Decoy's Dork Decor
Home Decor for the average Geek!
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

I am a decoy wrote:The absolute worst part of the con was the loading dock Sunday afternoon. I know most artists didn't have to use it, but all of the dealers, the artists who needed it, the concert people, and the union members cleaning were using those elevators and getting on the dock at once. I also heard a lot people saying that the union members were giving artists and dealers a hard time about being on the dock. This is probably more of a dealer's room issue, but dock times seem like they need to be assigned on the way out. The way in, it was empty and awesome!
It was empty on the way in because most of the heavy lifting was done before you showed up. ;)

We'll have to work on making it as clear as possible that there's a procedure for using the dock that doesn't have any flexibility. I don't mean to sound callous or anything, but the biggest fish in the Artists' Alley is smaller than the smallest fish in the Dealers' Room and the biggest fish in the Dealers' Room is smaller than the smallest fish at a 'real' conference. The whole thing is meant to work smoothly if 18-wheelers are being unloaded very quickly by forklifts where everything is palleted and shipped to the general services contractor's warehouse. Our kind of show is abnormal for them and, in all honesty, kind of makes their jobs harder.

Sometimes, we can have some of the move-out done on Monday, which reduces some of the stress on the dock, but we couldn't get that done this time, since other shows get scheduled to move in after us.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
KitsuneCreations
Veteran Poster

Post by KitsuneCreations »

The room was amazing. So much better! Also, I overheard MANY con-goers compliment the new location, setup and aisle space. I think both artists and attendees a like overall benefited from the larger space. My one complaint about the new room is that it felt like a little bit too much space. I saw several spots where another table could fit in easily, without hindering other artists hardly at all. To my left and entire table with room on both sides to walk around would have fit. Since its so hard to get into the alley, I would be VERY sad if next year I didn't get in and saw all the potential space to add more tables. I think the layout could have been a bit different to accommodate more artists. I understand a lot of artists dislike more competition because they fear it will hurt sales, but this is a giant convention and everyone who can be a part of it should be welcomed if there is room. I would like to see a few more artists in the room next year.

Big spaces left room for photos, constantly. I even saw staffers and security walk by groups posing in the middle of the aisle, or wait for photo taking to end before they could move on and never said a word about it, almost as if the no photo rule wasn't being enforced.. at all. There was also a lot of loitering, especially around my table because I was on a corner in the middle (more reason to accommodate more artists in those giant vacant areas).

Bag checks! I showed them my AA badge and got to go to the right each time, but only once did I get the convenience of the dog sniffing my stuff. So cute I might add, I wanted to pet him but I knew he was working hard! I wish using the dog was the standard, because another time we were also forced to open our cash box in front of everyone, which can put you in an unsafe position if someone sees you carrying that much cash, you can be a target. If we could just be checked by the guard and dog and maybe taken aside if they needed to go more in depth that would be great. I fully support bag checks, and overall it was run very smoothly and made me feel safe.

The tables were smaller this year, and it would have been nice to know that ahead of time (but I can understand if that was not known until the actual convention due to a new room and all!).

Overall, sales were great for me, I had a great time and I think this was one of the best ABs I've attended as an artist. I hope we are in the same room next year, and I hope to see the space used a little more efficiently to house more artists while keeping good sizes aisles for traffic.
KitsuneCreation.etsy.com | Instagram.com/KitsuneCreation | Facebook.com/KitsuneCreation
tanya2s

Post by tanya2s »

I didn't make it into the Alley this year, so I banded together with a few other "just-barely-missed-the-cut" folks and we got a table in the Dealers' Room. It was insane. ;)

That being said, while I did enjoy being able to shop in the Artist's Alley without being too crowded in the aisles, the first thought that struck me upon entering was "wow, they could've fit SO many more people in here and still had a TON of space."

I honestly don't mean this to sound like sour grapes, but it looked as though at least two dozen more artists could've been fit in without making much of a dent in the available space. Maybe I'm wrong and there were some rules, regulations, or other considerations that had to be taken into account?

Also, I second the poster above who said that the aisles were so wide that some shoppers probably missed out on seeing some of the art as they passed by-- and when a potential customer can just wander down the center of the aisle and get nowhere near the artist's table, the artist loses the chance to catch the customer's eye with his/her merchandise. Even if you think that adding more artists would dilute the experience or overwhelm the con-goers, perhaps consider narrowing the aisles and using the extra space for something else? Fanart workshops, tables with pencils and paper for people to hang out and sketch, something in keeping with the room's theme?

Anyway, due to our location in the Dealer's Room and probably the different clientele you get, my sales this year weren't anywhere near as good as I've had in the AA in previous years, so if I sell again I'll be haunting the AA registration site on the appointed date. But I do hope that if the room remains as huge as it was this year, more people can get a chance to sell in it.
blix
Experienced Poster

Post by blix »

I definitely LOVED the show! It was my first year there, and either Easter weekend or Memorial Day weekend, AB is the same weekend with some other exceptional shows, BUT AB WINS. IT BEATS SAKURA CON AND FANIME FOR ME. I definitely want to come back next year WOW HOW WAS REGISTRATION SO EASY HOW DID YOU DO THAT AB HOW? AND THOSE ELEVATORS THAT TAKE YOU FROM LOADING DOCKS DIRECTLY TO THE ARTIST ALLEY HOW DID THAT HAPPEN WHAT PLANET IS THIS I DON'T REMEMBER MAKING A WISH BUT IT WAS GRANTED ANYWAY.

I was in love with pro row, I would pay more for it if needed, having an 8 foot table was GREAT. Being seated near the concert was annoying (my hearing isn't always great even in the best situations) but I think I'd come back to pro row even if my table was still next to the concert.

The only thing I'd wish for is another hour or two Thurs and Fri for set up.

And now some art show feed back:
I definitely ended up loving the art show, it got good traffic in that little nook. BUUUUT I didn't start out loving it. Between setting up an AA table and setting up panels (I was agenting for a few friends) I really needed more time with both the art show and artist alley. The staff at the art show DID help me, and they were polite when I was getting feisty about lack of time, so that was pretty great of them.

But besides the lack of time, honestly, the art show looks a lot LESS awesome than it is???

I think it has to do with the panels being used to hang art on. They're 2 feet wide and assembled in + shapes, not very tall. I think a taller 4 foot wide peg board panel, assembled in short isles, would make for a better viewing experience and would be able to display more art.

So, I definitely want to do the art show again, and I'll probably bring even MORE work for it next year of my own stuff and that of friends. The art show was great, the LOCATION was AWESOME for that thing, I just think it could look better and fit more art. Table cloths might also be nice for the art show administration table and display tables along the walls, I can't remember there being much in the way of dressing up the space.