Art Show Agent Aassignment Process

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
skim
Experienced Poster

Art Show Agent Aassignment Process

Post by skim »

Hi, I just signed up to put some pieces in the art show, but I won't be able to go to the con.

How do I assign an agent? Do I need to provide information about my agent?

I did receive an email confirming that I signed up for space in the art show but no info about how to assign an agent.

I'm bringing wood frame stretched canvases.
How should I prepare them in order to have them displayable on the wall?

What is the lighting situation in the hall?
If it is dark (no spotlights) I will avoid using metallic paints, which can look bad in low light.

Also, I imagine that it might be daunting for my agent to carry all six pieces herself to the art show.

Will I be able to help her get the pieces into the hall if the pieces are dropped off Thursday 8 to 9 to drop the pieces off, even if I don't register for the convention?
Original comic "Morie the Witch" Issue 1 Issue 2 ;) available as a BOOK only.
facebook.com/skimlines | skimlines.deviantart | skimlines on tumblr!
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Re: Art Show Agent Aassignment Process

Post by pulsedemon »

It'll be best to talk to Chris in the Art Show about your agent. http://www.animeboston.com/coninfo/contact/13

I noticed that the part about assigning an agent makes reference to a field that doesn't exist in the form, so I'll see if we can have that added to the form right quick, provided there's something I'm not forgetting or overlooking about that. It'll help for future submissions, for sure, so thanks for pointing that one out!

It'll definitely be best to talk to Chris for specifics about hanging the pieces. The lighting is pretty bright, coming from some intense tungsten bulbs, if I'm not mistaken. If you've been in the Dealers' Room at our show before, the lights are the same. I think the kind of 'color temperature' measure would be pretty high, so the lighting can be pretty stark and cold.

The guards are specifically instructed not to allow anyone into the building if they don't have a badge and aren't there for setup on Thursday, so you wouldn't be able to get in without a badge. We could potentially talk about using the loading dock, however, but that could take a lot of time if there isn't any space available. We're loading in the Dealers' Room at that same time, too, so dock space can be pretty tight. Email Chris through the contact form and I'll see the message, too, so we can talk about all of this stuff more specifically.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
skim
Experienced Poster

Post by skim »

Super. I will be sure to contact Chris about the other details.

As for unloading the paintings, I think I can arrange something with my agent so that she can make multiple trips from the entrance, where I can hold the paintings to be registered in a staggered system. Or I may create a giant canvas bag. I will figure this part out. :lol:
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

The rules get pretty clear about stuff like taking a bunch of stuff in through the front entrance on a handcart. That's not allowed, but we can coordinate what's necessary.

skim
Experienced Poster

Post by skim »

Hello, I used the "contact form" on the website to get in touch with Chris (art show director, I assume) about the process of assigning an agent over two weeks ago, but there has been no response.

If I cannot assign an agent to deliver the artwork I will try to make arrangements to deliver the artwork in person, but please keep in mind that the cost of travel, admission, and lodging is quite high...
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

I'll text him now.

skim
Experienced Poster

Post by skim »

pulsedemon wrote:I'll text him now.
Thank you, that was most effective. :D Now everything is sorted out!