Art Show: no mail ins, but agenting for other artists?

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
blix
Experienced Poster

Art Show: no mail ins, but agenting for other artists?

Post by blix »

Just wondering, I have some friends who couldn't make it to Anime Boston. I'd love to be able to hang their work in the art show for them. I know they can't mail their work, but I could transport and hang it for them. Is that a thing that can happen?
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Re: Art Show: no mail ins, but agenting for other artists?

Post by pulsedemon »

http://www.animeboston.com/artists/art_show/
Registered artists not attending the convention may designate an agent to display their work.
Artists (participating in the Art Show) may not submit works created by another artist (artist of origin) unless they are designated by the artist of origin as authorized agents. This can be noted on the signup form for the Anime Boston Art Show.
It can totally happen. The most careful way to make sure everything gets sorted out is to contact Chris, our Art Show manager. http://www.animeboston.com/coninfo/contact/13
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
blix
Experienced Poster

Post by blix »

Wonderful! I missed that part of the rules.

One more question, I've submitted a request for art show space and have received an email sign up confirmation. Does this mean I definitely have space, or should I be expecting a follow up response either approving or denying my application?

Also, I'm sorry if this is in the rules or not, I've read the rules multiple times and am demonstrably still missing key points, but I'm interested in acquiring two 4x4 panels for myself. I can't tell if a single artist is allowed more than one panel?
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

That's going to probably be better answered by emailing Chris. I can email him and ask him to answer here, or you can email him and he can answer you directly. ;) Some of us watch the forums more hawkishly than others.

skim
Experienced Poster

Post by skim »

Yikes, you have to be registered for the convention to show work?

Also, does the artist alley usually run out of space?
Original comic "Morie the Witch" Issue 1 Issue 2 ;) available as a BOOK only.
facebook.com/skimlines | skimlines.deviantart | skimlines on tumblr!
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

in order to be able to get into the convention to bring your work to the display area, yes, you have to be registered.
Also, yes, the Artists Alley does sell out frequently - we currently have 500 plus people trying to get in and we don't have near that many tables. a few empty spots occasionally empty up just before or during con and we do put them back out for sale at con for first come first served.
Nikki O'Shea Bean
http://www.dragonpressgraphics.com
http://www.bardscomic.com

Artists Alley Manager 2008-2017
Artists Alley Co-Manager 2005-07
Attendee 2004
Artists Alley Accidental Volunteer 2003
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

Tuberat wrote:in order to be able to get into the convention to bring your work to the display area, yes, you have to be registered.
Also, yes, the Artists Alley does sell out frequently - we currently have 500 plus people trying to get in and we don't have near that many tables. a few empty spots occasionally empty up just before or during con and we do put them back out for sale at con for first come first served.
And for the spaces that empty up just before con, you contact people on the waitlist in order, yes?
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

before con, yes
JUST before con, no. its too last minute, we can't even accept the payments cause the system is shut down. which is why we do first come first served at con for those spaces.
Nikki O'Shea Bean
http://www.dragonpressgraphics.com
http://www.bardscomic.com

Artists Alley Manager 2008-2017
Artists Alley Co-Manager 2005-07
Attendee 2004
Artists Alley Accidental Volunteer 2003
skim
Experienced Poster

Post by skim »

Tuberat wrote:in order to be able to get into the convention to bring your work to the display area, yes, you have to be registered.
Whoops, I meant art show, not artist alley.

I usually don't know how many pieces I'll be having or what pieces I'll be having until 2-3 weeks before a convention.
skim
Experienced Poster

Post by skim »

Will I be unlikely to be allowed to have work in the art show if I show up on convention day (or thursday) with my pieces?
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

It'll probably work best if you register the pieces online now (or now-ish) and then bring them up between 8 PM and 9 PM on Thursday. You should still be able to register your pieces as the show gets closer, though. Worst case, you can always email Chris in the Art Show to talk about some more specifics. http://www.animeboston.com/coninfo/contact/13