Exhibitor Tax ID

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
BL2W
Expert Poster

Exhibitor Tax ID

Post by BL2W »

This is just a quick question concerning the Tax ID mentioned on the Artists' Alley page of the main website...

Does my studio need to submit the ID during the initial application process, the payment process, or just arrive with an available form proving our certification at the convention itself?
.::.:.::.
Check out KyokoPro Studios on Facebook & YouTube for KanColle videos and cosplay music videos!
Faceman
AB Executive

Re: Exhibitor Tax ID

Post by Faceman »

Really, you should be submitting it during the Registration process, once you're sure you're in the Artists' Alley. It must be done before the convention.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

There's a report we have to file with the state after the event, so it makes it way easier to get everything in place before the show. There's a form that will be deployed to gather and securely store the information, too. It's pretty rad.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
BL2W
Expert Poster

Post by BL2W »

Faceman wrote:Really, you should be submitting it during the Registration process, once you're sure you're in the Artists' Alley.
So, I absolutely do not need the ID in order to sign up for the Letter of Intent--just like last year?
Check out KyokoPro Studios on Facebook & YouTube for KanColle videos and cosplay music videos!
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

correct - you do not need the ID just to sign up.
But as soon as you get in - you need to start the wheels moving and get that taken care of and entered into our database.
Nikki O'Shea Bean
http://www.dragonpressgraphics.com
http://www.bardscomic.com

Artists Alley Manager 2008-2017
Artists Alley Co-Manager 2005-07
Attendee 2004
Artists Alley Accidental Volunteer 2003
BL2W
Expert Poster

Post by BL2W »

Alright, then~! That was all I needed to know~! Thank you very much for answering my questions~ :)
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

It's a relatively quick and painless process. The EIN registration is highly suggested, since it gives you a number to use that isn't your SSID. That took, if I'm remembering correctly, about 10 to 20 minutes all told and you get the number at the end of the process. I think the MA registration took a bit longer, but the whole process shouldn't take much more than an hour, two tops.

It's also a good idea to consult with a tax professional to make sure you're using the right options for you. It's possible to change things with MA after the registration is done, too - you'd just log into the MA Department of Revenue website with the account you generated when registering with them in the first place and fix whatever needs updating.

In the past, we didn't need to get a show promoter license because we organized less than the minimum threshold number of shows in a year. Legislation changed and got rid of the minimum threshold, so we have to get the show promoter license and file a show promoter report after the convention. Part of that is a list of everyone selling things, so they can check, kinda like how people in San Marcos had to wear their underwear on the outside. So they can check.

WoopWoop
AB Staff

Post by WoopWoop »

I'm just gonna post my questions her because the OPs question is similar to mine (if not close to the exact thing). I'm pretty sure this is what you said Tuberat, but I just want to make sure.

So I don't really want to sign up for the tax thing until I know I'm in artist alley, because honestly I've never paid even normal taxes before, they scare me, and I don't want to deal with this stuff if I don't get in. So I understand it would probably be a good idea to do it ahead of time, but would it be fine for me not to do it until I'm given the green light for wave 2, and then get right on that. Or should I definitely get on that before sign ups even start?

I just want to be 100% positive so I don't ruin all my chances.
Thanks!
Cee Ng
Charity Staff 2022
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

it's a relatively quick process so that it IS Possible to do it AFTER you've been greenlighted.

if during one of our many doublechecks to make sure everything is in order, we find you are NOT Listed with us as having done so, then you will lose your space - prior to certain dates , that means you'd get a refund of table space (NOT registration ) and after certain dates that means it would be without a refund.
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
Tabikat
Committed Poster

Post by Tabikat »

Tuberat wrote:it's a relatively quick process so that it IS Possible to do it AFTER you've been greenlighted.

if during one of our many doublechecks to make sure everything is in order, we find you are NOT Listed with us as having done so, then you will lose your space - prior to certain dates , that means you'd get a refund of table space (NOT registration ) and after certain dates that means it would be without a refund.

Just a quick question. Is anyone else having problems with the online application on the EIN page? I keep getting errors and I messaged them but they were really vague and wrote me off pretty quickly. I'm attempting to fax it to them now in hopes I can get in it as soon as possible. I wanted to know if anyone else was having problems as well. E-fax sites are literally a huge pain in my side right now....
blix
Experienced Poster

Post by blix »

I haven't been able to get the EIN application form to work either. Each time I've tried, I reach the screen where you give your name and SSN, click continue, and the website directs me to an error page.

I wonder if Massachusetts DOR would accept an SSN? When a person is a sole proprietor, an EIN and SSN are effectively the same thing when used to report tax.
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

you're talking about the actual EIN from the IRS website right? have you tried contacting them? we had no problems last year, but i wonder where their server is based out of - i wonder if it could have been hit by sandy?

yes the DOR will take your ssn instead of an EIN - we just dont' recommend it since you are supposed to display it so that if a tax rep walks by checking out the show, you don't have your SSN on display where anyone can snag it.
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

The times I've called the IRS with questions about this stuff, they've been super helpful and friendly. Don't be scared!

Tabikat
Committed Poster

Post by Tabikat »

Yea, I eventually had to call them. The site was working again so I tried to apply online but it said I couldn't at the end of the whole application so I called them. Apparently my fax HAD made it to them but the fax company I used didn't give me the confirmation e-mail like it was suppose to so I thought it didn't get delivered.

They were very nice on the phone and gave me my number so now I can fill out the other form! 8D

But for the ones who haven't yet, the online application IS working now!
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

awesome! *does a little dance*
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
blix
Experienced Poster

Post by blix »

yay! I've now got an EIN and put through my request for a MA tax permit.
okapirose
Determined Poster

Post by okapirose »

For us returning to the alley, there's a slight hiccup now that we need to do this tax thing. Last year when it was put in place we had to go through every step of getting a EIN and whatnot. But now that we're returning, what do we do?

We already have EIN number and all our information is still on the MDR site, but so far as I've found there's no way to change the year and date of tax collection, which has obviously changed from April 2012 to May 2013.

There's nothing in the Exhibitor Tax ID information on the Anime Boston site but obviously there are people that are returning to the alley this year who were present last year, so I'm wondering what you did to overcome this.

Thanks!
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

at this point, i'd call the mass DOR since they have to send you a certificate for the current event anyway. i remember last year they put most out of towners in as a one time event for that year, and only that event. they then said that the artists would have to do it over in the next year. it may depend on how you did it, so it may be best to just call them. they can look you up and take in your situation and recommend what needs to be done. we've found them very helpful in the past.
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
egyptianruin
Veteran Poster

Post by egyptianruin »

I was told by the DOR that if you have a current login for their site (Webfile Home) and a previous Sales and Use TAX that was closed - to do the following:

To add sales tax to your account, go to the WebFile Home Page, select Manage Registration at the top of the page, click on Manage Business Locations and Tax Types, click on List Locations, click on Reopen and enter the requested information. If you need assistance, please contact the Customer Service Bureau at 617-887-6367.
Selling kawaii, kitsch and often geeky items.

cutenkitschy.com
okapirose
Determined Poster

Post by okapirose »

egyptianruin wrote:I was told by the DOR that if you have a current login for their site (Webfile Home) and a previous Sales and Use TAX that was closed - to do the following:

To add sales tax to your account, go to the WebFile Home Page, select Manage Registration at the top of the page, click on Manage Business Locations and Tax Types, click on List Locations, click on Reopen and enter the requested information. If you need assistance, please contact the Customer Service Bureau at 617-887-6367.
Two things, one, "Reopen" doesn't appear anywhere, do we need to close all tax types before doing so?

And two, do they send you a new certificate?
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

okapirose wrote:
egyptianruin wrote:I was told by the DOR that if you have a current login for their site (Webfile Home) and a previous Sales and Use TAX that was closed - to do the following:

Two things, one, "Reopen" doesn't appear anywhere, do we need to close all tax types before doing so?
Is your tax type from last year actually closed? Mine apparently isn't, so "Reopen" isn't an option, but "Close tax types" is. I'll be contacting them tomorrow to look into it more.
egyptianruin
Veteran Poster

Post by egyptianruin »

If it says Close All Tax Types most likely you never actually closed yours and kept it open. Mine was definitely closed by me via Wed File last year so I knew I had to reopen it somehow. It should say REOPEN if it is closed.

After I reopened mine I had a temporary certificate print option after the DOR approved it.

cutenkitschy.com
okapirose
Determined Poster

Post by okapirose »

egyptianruin wrote:If it says Close All Tax Types most likely you never actually closed yours and kept it open. Mine was definitely closed by me via Wed File last year so I knew I had to reopen it somehow. It should say REOPEN if it is closed.

After I reopened mine I had a temporary certificate print option after the DOR approved it.
Thank you SOOO much :D This helped considerably!
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

egyptianruin wrote:If it says Close All Tax Types most likely you never actually closed yours and kept it open. Mine was definitely closed by me via Wed File last year so I knew I had to reopen it somehow. It should say REOPEN if it is closed.

When you closed yours last year, what was the reason you chose for closing it? ::curious::
egyptianruin
Veteran Poster

Post by egyptianruin »

I only do one convention in the state and to avoid having to file monthly for taxes I will not be taking I closed it. They told me I should do that so I wouldn't have to file monthly as $0 sales.

cutenkitschy.com
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

egyptianruin wrote:I only do one convention in the state and to avoid having to file monthly for taxes I will not be taking I closed it. They told me I should do that so I wouldn't have to file monthly as $0 sales.
I meant on their close page. They ask for the reason for closing.
egyptianruin
Veteran Poster

Post by egyptianruin »

I don't think I remember what I put, lol. It was closed though. Is there an option for no longer doing business?

cutenkitschy.com
KitsuneCreations
Veteran Poster

Post by KitsuneCreations »

Keep in mind you can apply just for a seasonal tax. I applied for April last year, so this year I had to change it to May (Took some time, but finally got it sorted). That means I do NOT need to claim $0 every month (I would NEVER remember to pay every month!!), I only need to pay one month out of the year as long as its the same month, or change the month like in my case this year. I highly recommend if you are like me and only sell at AB in the state of Mass.
KitsuneCreation.etsy.com | Instagram.com/KitsuneCreation | Facebook.com/KitsuneCreation
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

I've mentioned it before, but the Massachusetts Department of Revenue is super helpful and friendly if you call them with questions! Hearing everyone's anecdotes can certainly be encouraging, but the real answers are going to come from the DOR.