Tax Information - what do you need to do?

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
egyptianruin
Veteran Poster

Re: Tax Information - what do you need to do?

Post by egyptianruin »

Okay I got a temp certificate printed from their website through my account. I am waiting on the permanent license because this one expires and have not received it yet. However I got a notice today about filing payments electronically but still no permanent license. Has anyone received their permanent license yet?
Selling kawaii, kitsch and often geeky items.

cutenkitschy.com
daniellesylvan
Getting the hang of this...

Post by daniellesylvan »

Tuberat wrote:ah, i basically put the info here and on the website, but only specifically notified the people who were DEFINITELY in already (if and when we got phase 2 started) because i figured nobody would want to do the tax stuff until they knew what was going on for sure. sorry.
Hey Nikki, this confuses me. Back in November I got an email saying "I am writing you to let you know that WHEN we start up phase 2, you will be the first contacted and have the first chance to get table space at the convention,"
However, I did not get this new notice you were sending people who were definitely in?
The previous email basically ensured that I had made it to phase 2. Was this incorrect?

By the way, to anyone who may still be confused about how Massachusetts requires you to pay throughout the year- my dad is a tax lawyer (thank goodness or I wouldn't have figured any of this out!). He explained to me, like some people mentioned before, you just pay once for the convention, then send them a form (or call them) saying that your business will not be selling anymore and you want to cancel it. So, they will not be expecting constant tax returns. Just cancel it after the convention, no worries :)
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

we've had a fair number of people drop out so far because of delays and the tax thing. i'll know better in a few days i think.
Well, that has me hopeful. :) I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
SailorAstera
Determined Poster

Post by SailorAstera »

It's unfortunate to hear that people are opting out because of this. :(
~*Sarah*~
AdorkaBows | AdorkaStock

"In the name of the Moon, I will punish you!"
freezeex
Experienced Poster

Post by freezeex »

omg I have never deal with the taxes stuff I feel so confused
so in the EIN individual resquest site it asked What does your business or organization do?
I picked Retail cuz it best describes the AA (I guess
and then in the next step I choose "Other" and type Anime Boston in the box.
Then, when I submit the file, I keep getting Technical Difficulties.
Can anybody help? :/
I am not familiar with this kind of stuff.
Hope I can finish this before the second phase...(cross finger
okapirose
Determined Poster

Post by okapirose »

egyptianruin wrote:Okay I got a temp certificate printed from their website through my account. I am waiting on the permanent license because this one expires and have not received it yet. However I got a notice today about filing payments electronically but still no permanent license. Has anyone received their permanent license yet?
I was approved and all that early last week but still nothing in the actual mail yet...could take a couple weeks...though I think if you opt for printing it out, they don't send you anything in the mail...No idea...
egyptianruin
Veteran Poster

Post by egyptianruin »

okapirose wrote:
egyptianruin wrote:Okay I got a temp certificate printed from their website through my account. I am waiting on the permanent license because this one expires and have not received it yet. However I got a notice today about filing payments electronically but still no permanent license. Has anyone received their permanent license yet?
I was approved and all that early last week but still nothing in the actual mail yet...could take a couple weeks...though I think if you opt for printing it out, they don't send you anything in the mail...No idea...
I printed mine out and it says it expires when I receive the permanent certificate. I am sure they are way behind sending them out because of everyone registering at once for the convention. Maryland it was two weeks before I got my permanent one. I just had to order a second copy of my Maryland one, my son likes to color on my tax certificates :(

cutenkitschy.com
wing area

Post by wing area »

Thanks for the answer!!
strawberryquincy wrote:I stated earlier that when I called the DOR he said that you dont HAVE to register, but then you would be showing off your SSN to everyone, and that isn't safe and would probably make the staff uncomfortable as well. It's free, you only have to file for taxes once, so you might as well just register and be safe than sorry ;)
My other question was, after reading through this thread, people mentioned a $400 fee? If you file for an EIN as a sole proprietor and not as a business, there is no fee, right? (Just making sure!)
snapesgirl34
Expert Poster

Post by snapesgirl34 »

Thanks for all your hard work Nikki! I used the link you sent me and was able to pay with no problems at all. :D
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

that should be right wing :D
thanks snape! :D
Nikki O'Shea Bean
http://www.dragonpressgraphics.com
http://www.bardscomic.com

Artists Alley Manager 2008-2017
Artists Alley Co-Manager 2005-07
Attendee 2004
Artists Alley Accidental Volunteer 2003
ForesakenFaerie
Experienced Poster

Post by ForesakenFaerie »

What is everyone putting down as business code? I am so confused as to what code applies for the convention. I sell handmade jewelry, glassware and sewn things. This is all seriously confusing.

*Edit* Do I use this code? "711510 Independent Artists, Writers, & Performers"
benkiupi
Experienced Poster

Post by benkiupi »

Sorry, I am kind of confused here. So phase 2 started already? And it means I am not in the list? (I aware that I haven't registered for the tax stuff yet, due to technology problem)
Anime Boston 2012 - Artist Alley table 140d (sharing space with An Bai)

Welcome to KIUPI shop, my online store! I offer both HANDMADE and JAPAN-IMPORTED merchandises.

Please check my products at http://kiupishop.com/

List of some available products:
Handmade:Lolita Kimono, Dream of Doll human-sized dresses, headbands, hair ties
Imported from Japan: glow-in-the dark earrings, lolita bags, lolita shoes, lolita coat and more...
egyptianruin
Veteran Poster

Post by egyptianruin »

The FIRST WAVE of PHASE TWO started. As everyone from the first wave pays or drops out Nikki can than add more people.

Also if you are having problem with your EIN go to here: http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/art ... 60,00.html You can also get one by phone, mail and fax.

cutenkitschy.com
snapesgirl34
Expert Poster

Post by snapesgirl34 »

ForesakenFaerie wrote:What is everyone putting down as business code? I am so confused as to what code applies for the convention. I sell handmade jewelry, glassware and sewn things. This is all seriously confusing.

Honestly I don't think it matters that much what you put down for your business code, so that would probably be fine. But I'm not a tax lawyer. ;)
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

SailorAstera wrote:It's unfortunate to hear that people are opting out because of this. :(
There are so many people that don't get space at this point, it's almost good to help 'thin out' the crowd a bit. I'd love to have a bunch more space to accommodate more of this thriving community, but it's not really possible without losing the biggest panel room or without making a move to another exhibit hall where the costs would skyrocket.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

forsaken faerie - thats the code *I* used - it seemed most appropriate off the list.

benkuipi
first wave of phase 2 has started yes, as of sunday/monday night/morning.

if you signed up before oct 25th, you would already have gotten an email saying whether you were on the reserve list or in the first wave quite some time ago. anyone who signed on AFTER that, was automatically placed on the reserve list, no other notification sent other than confirmation of receiving your letter - because it says on the website that you are going straight to the reserve list.

i would check your status but while i recognize your name from multiple conversations here, i don't know what real name it is linked to.
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
ManifestedDreams
Experienced Poster

Post by ManifestedDreams »

So I got my tax thing taken care of, but ran into a bit of a snag.

My address happens to be "B7 blah blah blah" since I live in an apartment complex. The complex itself(which consists of 4 buildings and multiple apartments in each) has an address, but it's not *my* address. So when I went to put in mine? It wouldn't let me since they said it was a P.O. Box, which as far as I know, isn't (or is the largest PO Box ever). The man on the phone was no help and rather rude and essentially told me to trick the system. I put in the complex address in the end.

Now my question: I plan to let my post office know about this, in case they don't realize what is going on. I printed off my certificate from the website. If I don't receive mine in the mail due to this issue, will that be a problem? It says this expires when I get the other one, but I want to make sure.
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

if you don't get a physical copy, then you'd have to call and see if you can get a new one - because you have to display that at your table in case the DOR comes by checking....

but wow, thats just weird - and complicated. sorry you had someone so rude too. i was lucky to get someone who was quite pleasant...good luck
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
ErinErin
Expert Poster

Post by ErinErin »

snapesgirl34 wrote:
ForesakenFaerie wrote:What is everyone putting down as business code? I am so confused as to what code applies for the convention. I sell handmade jewelry, glassware and sewn things. This is all seriously confusing.

Honestly I don't think it matters that much what you put down for your business code, so that would probably be fine. But I'm not a tax lawyer. ;)
Yea the business code will really only matter if special tax rules apply to your business (ex: manufacturing). Anything retail related or the artist code should be fine. At the end of the day, the DOR is most concerned with receiving their tax money in a timely fashion.
egyptianruin
Veteran Poster

Post by egyptianruin »

I got my license in the mail today :D

cutenkitschy.com
Ree

Post by Ree »

egyptianruin wrote:I got my license in the mail today :D
Me too! : D -highfive-
Read the Webcomic Anarchy Dreamers My [deviant Art] My [empty] Etsy UrbanRabbitNYC
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

Ree wrote:
egyptianruin wrote:I got my license in the mail today :D
Me too! : D -highfive-
Ditto. :D
KitsuneCreations
Veteran Poster

Post by KitsuneCreations »

Wonder if I did... the boy picks up the mail when he get out of work so Ill have to wait a bit longer XD

But I did get an odd letter from them the other day, talking about filing online and saying that they wont be sending me any booklets in the mail. I hope they arent expecting me to file before the con... considering I put Ill be opening in april :/ The letter made it sound like it was for this past tax year. Anyone else get something like that?
KitsuneCreation.etsy.com | Instagram.com/KitsuneCreation | Facebook.com/KitsuneCreation
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

Allyson-x wrote:But I did get an odd letter from them the other day, talking about filing online and saying that they wont be sending me any booklets in the mail. I hope they arent expecting me to file before the con... considering I put Ill be opening in april :/ The letter made it sound like it was for this past tax year. Anyone else get something like that?
I got that too, about a week ago. I suspect that one's meant to just be a heads-up. After all, the "issue date" on the registration certificate is dated for the con, not now. :shrug:
KitsuneCreations
Veteran Poster

I got my license in the mail last night... but Im a little concerned about something. It says that Im good to sell at the following location and then below it has my home address (because thats the address I put for where I do my business) were we supposed to put the address for the Hynes center? Anyone else have their home address on their license? Im assuming its OK because the address shows Maine, and why would they even issue me a license to sell in my own state at that location XD
KitsuneCreation.etsy.com | Instagram.com/KitsuneCreation | Facebook.com/KitsuneCreation
egyptianruin
Veteran Poster

Post by egyptianruin »

I think we are fine. Mine says my home address as well. I put my home address because that is where I conduct most of my business.

cutenkitschy.com
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

i did the same thing, but when i called up to ask (before i got my license in the mail), they said because i was out of state it didn't really matter, as long as i put the locality code down - and my tax license DID mention the place i was going ot BE at, not my home address...if your's doesn't, i'd call and double check with them, see if it's okay and if it can get fixed if not.
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

Tuberat wrote:as long as i put the locality code down - and my tax license DID mention the place i was going ot BE at, not my home address...if your's doesn't, i'd call and double check with them, see if it's okay and if it can get fixed if not.
Locality code? ::curious::

I just double-checked mine, and it doesn't mention where I'm going to be, but rather just my home address.
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

when i did the MA DOR it asked me for a locallity code - i put in bostons locality code. the link we gave you sent you directly to a page that had like a checklist of this stuff yu needed, and when you clicked on business codes, then locality codes, you could look up the one for boston. anyway, you may want to call them. it doens't invalidate your submission to US but please check to make sure it didn't get mixed up.
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

Hm. I don't recall the form asking for a locality code, but then I did this almost two weeks ago and my memory of the whole process is already fuzzy. Either way, I sent an e-mail to the DOR via their contact form about it. (what can I say? I'm telephonophobic. :lol: )
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

yeah, so am i
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
egyptianruin
Veteran Poster

Post by egyptianruin »

Let me know what you find out. I don't remember a locality code at all on the form.

cutenkitschy.com
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

I've had not a lot of success getting answers by email, for what it's worth.

@Allyson-x: I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have to deal with it until next year, but you'll naturally want to check with your tax professional. We're not experts or authorities on the subject.

Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

I guess I'll be keeping my fingers crossed, pulsedemon, and calling on Monday or so if I don't hear back via e-mail.

A bit of Googling led me to the confusion on the locality code, at least (I think). Registration intructions on the DOR site. Searching the page for the locality code shows it only under the Room Occupancy Tax section, so it must not have appeared on my (or my assistant's) applications since we selected Sales/Use Tax on Goods instead. :shrug: That's all I can figure.

Beyond that, though, I don't know what's up. My best guess without an answer from the DOR yet is that under the Business location address and phone number, we put our primary location (instead of, say, the convention center). Guess I'll be finding out on Monday (unless someone else hears sooner).
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

You should be able to log into the MA DOR's website and change things, though.

Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

For those curious, I did get a response from the DOR (took me a day or two to spot it, as they reply via the web page itself, and thus I didn't get an e-mail notification). I asked if I needed to have my certificate (ST-1) corrected to show the convention center rather than my home address.
Mass DOR wrote:As long as you provide a copy of the Form ST-1 to show that you are registered as a sales tax vendor with the Massachusetts Department of Revenue you should be all set.
So that's a relief. :)
KitsuneCreations
Veteran Poster

Kogarashi wrote:For those curious, I did get a response from the DOR (took me a day or two to spot it, as they reply via the web page itself, and thus I didn't get an e-mail notification). I asked if I needed to have my certificate (ST-1) corrected to show the convention center rather than my home address.
Mass DOR wrote:As long as you provide a copy of the Form ST-1 to show that you are registered as a sales tax vendor with the Massachusetts Department of Revenue you should be all set.
So that's a relief. :)
Glad to hear! Thanks for letting us know, I was too lazy to make the call so I was hoping to hear some news sooner or later ^^
ForesakenFaerie
Experienced Poster

Post by ForesakenFaerie »

Still haven't gotten mine yet. Checked and it said that it is still being reviewed :(. How long does it usually take to send it back?
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

took me and others only two weeks - but tax season is upon us - i'd call and find out if its taking longer than we thought
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
ManifestedDreams
Experienced Poster

Post by ManifestedDreams »

I'm happy to say my license arrived. Ironically, the address they mailed it to was correct, but the address on the license part was the 100 xxx one o.O I wasn't able to input the correct one in the form, so I really have no idea how they even got that.

Government offices, scary.
MacX
Veteran Poster

Post by MacX »

My question is what happens after AB:

I was told I can just call the place where I GOT the Tax ID/reg for a business and tell them to cancel my account once AB is over. Now do I still need to submit a form+payment(?) to them before I close my account?
I can sculpt anything out of clay for you. Challenge me.

“I’ve known Macklin for a very long time and I think he is an incredibly talented person.” - Veronica Taylor (Ash Ketchum, Pokemon).

Follow me on twitter @ HeyLookASign
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

Well, you'll need to pay the sales tax that's due. That's fairly obvious.

If you plan to do anything like this in MA again in the future, it's not a bad idea to keep the registration active, since it's a permanent registration. It sounded like there were other people that figured out which form to use and only have to go to the trouble of filing once per year.

Again, I'm not a tax expert, so you should consult with your tax specialist. I've just done a bunch of reading about it on internet.

Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

Since mine says I file annually (due to being a seasonal business), I plan on keeping mine active until I'm no longer able to sell in Massachusetts. :)
Kikai
Experienced Poster

Post by Kikai »

I'm worried -- my license still hasn't come in the mail! I'm worried! :( :(
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

kikai - if you haven't received anything, then i would call them personally asap! the lady i talked to was quite helpful to me.
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
Kikai
Experienced Poster

Post by Kikai »

Tuberat wrote:kikai - if you haven't received anything, then i would call them personally asap! the lady i talked to was quite helpful to me.

it's so weird! as soon as i posted this the very next day I got my certificate! all is good! :)
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

awesome :D glad to hear it :D
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
Kidraa

Post by Kidraa »

I got approved, and got my license in the mail a few days ago :3
Dixxy

Post by Dixxy »

Hi guys, this is kind of an important question - does anyone know if things are different for proceeds that go to CHARITY? My table has had charity items - everything made from those items is put aside for charity - and I want to make sure whether or not sales tax needs to be reported on them.
midnightsiren182
AB Staff

Post by midnightsiren182 »

Dixxy wrote:Hi guys, this is kind of an important question - does anyone know if things are different for proceeds that go to CHARITY? My table has had charity items - everything made from those items is put aside for charity - and I want to make sure whether or not sales tax needs to be reported on them.
Have you called the MA comptroller/tax office to ask?
Lauren Gallo
Programming Ops Staff 2024